Been Here A Month And I'M Still The Sweatiest Man In Town!

sidjameson

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not worry about it too much. I have a Thai friend who always carries a hand towel with him to wipe his sweat. If thais need it donot worry. I personally like sweating I enjoy coming home soaked and having a cold shower( or should I say luke warm shower).

Personally, I found it took around 4 years before I 'acclimatised' to the heat and stopped sweating all the time!

Not nice, as I HATE feeling hot and sweaty, but not too much of a problem as long as I showered frequently.

After living here 6 years I sweat far less, although still more than the Thais :(.

The Thais sweat too when working. Like them, I still prefer to shower frequently.

Edit - under-arm deodorants are worth their weight in gold!

Edited by F1fanatic

Personally I try and do at least an hour's fiz a day, it works a treat for me, if I lay off excise for a few weeks I start to feel the heat and can get a bit sweaty too. But I see you already excises. As one reply said 'jog more', I don't know how much you're doing now; maybe that's just what you need. As for sweating after you run…….I hear that, I have to set aside at least one and a half hours after fiz to cool down then shower. It may be medical condition, see a doctor if it is very bad.

Edited by Tonto21

Stop using air-con.

NEVER! :lol: I can cope with sweating during the day, but cannot sleep without the air-con at night.

Yes, its a luxury, but well worth it for a decent nights sleep. Mind you, my house is v hot....

I will never understand why a relatively old Thai house was not designed to allow in-drafts :annoyed:.

Stop using air-con.

NEVER! :lol: I can cope with sweating during the day, but cannot sleep without the air-con at night.

Yes, its a luxury, but well worth it for a decent nights sleep. Mind you, my house is v hot....

I will never understand why a relatively old Thai house was not designed to allow in-drafts :annoyed:.

Agree 100%,must say I fought using A/C at night for a long time. I felt like a bit of awimp for giving into ‘the air’ but boy, do I sleep well now.

If the underarm sweat is really creating problems with odor, ruining clothes, etc, you can have botox injected just under the skin of your underarm area and it effectively stops the glands from producing sweat. Some people also use it to treat excessive sweating of the palms of the hands -- a real problem for athletes, musicians, etc.

It's not cheap and only lasts 6 or 7 months. The risks are small, since they make numerous small injections just under the skin and not into the muscles like they do when they apply botox to the face. I had it done at Bumrungrad in December for about 29,000 baht. I know that's expensive, but I wanted to use "the best" for my first time. Now it's pretty much "worn off" and I'm back to having odor in my clothes that can't be removed even with special attention prior to washing. I've checked out prices here in Chiang Mai and found they range from 14,000 baht for Koren-produced botox-equivalent that is USDA approved all the way to 22,000 baht for U.S. produced botox. According to the internet, there isn't a real difference between the Koren and US botox. I think I'm going to have it done soon. I'm getting tired of scrubbing the armpits of my blouses prior to tossing them in the washer, only to have them emerge still smelling of B.O.

Yes, I shower 3 or 4 times daily and use U.S. Mitchum deodorant, which dries my skin. With the botox, I could use the Thai girly-smelling deodorants and my clothing smelled great even at the end of the day.

Edited by NancyL

If the underarm sweat is really creating problems with odor, ruining clothes, etc, you can have botox injected just under the skin of your underarm area and it effectively stops the glands from producing sweat. Some people also use it to treat excessive sweating of the palms of the hands -- a real problem for athletes, musicians, etc.

It's not cheap and only lasts 6 or 7 months. The risks are small, since they make numerous small injections just under the skin and not into the muscles like they do when they apply botox to the face. I had it done at Bumrungrad in December for about 29,000 baht. I know that's expensive, but I wanted to use "the best" for my first time. Now it's pretty much "worn off" and I'm back to having odor in my clothes that can't be removed even with special attention prior to washing. I've checked out prices here in Chiang Mai and found they range from 14,000 baht for Koren-produced botox-equivalent that is USDA approved all the way to 22,000 baht for U.S. produced botox. According to the internet, there isn't a real difference between the Koren and US botox. I think I'm going to have it done soon. I'm getting tired of scrubbing the armpits of my blouses prior to tossing them in the washer, only to have them emerge still smelling of B.O.

Yes, I shower 3 or 4 times daily and use U.S. Mitchum deodorant, which dries my skin. With the botox, I could use the Thai girly-smelling deodorants and my clothing smelled great even at the end of the day.

And I thought I worried about being smelly!

It always depends on the individual, but generally people get used to the heat after a few years and stop sweating so much.

Even so, even the Thais sweat and take showers 2-3 times a day.

I fell the same when I arrived. The good thing is that you loose lots of weight, it's like permanent sauna.

You sweat less after a while, and also you start going shopping to buy stuffs better suited.

take advantage of this period to loose extra pounds

I fell the same when I arrived. The good thing is that you loose lots of weight, it's like permanent sauna.

You sweat less after a while, and also you start going shopping to buy stuffs better suited.

I could be wrong, but surely weight loss through sweating will be put straight back on when the water is replaced in the body?

Stop using air-con.

Best answer. :) Most of the people i know that complain about the heat and excessive sweating are those that use aircon regularly.

Most of the people I know that complain about the heat and excessive sweating are those that are too cheap to use aircon regularly. :D

You can buy a product called Driclor, a roll-on designed to prevent excessive perspiration. I've never found it in Thailand, but it can be bought on-line, just Google it. I had a friend bring mine over from the UK.

I no longer need it, but used to apply it under my arms and on my head (the two places where I sweated excessively). My experience with this product is that using it every day for 4 or 5 days would prevent those areas sweating, and then over time it would gradually return. I would simply apply Driclor again for a day or two to again reduce sweating.

The strange thing is that over time driclor use seems to "re-educate" your body such that those areas where you applied it are no longer excessive, with sweating spread a little more evenly over the body - at least that is what has happened with me. I no longer use it at all, and in-fact the whole problem stopped before I ever finished the third bottle.

The best time to apply it is at night once you have cooled off in an AC room and are no longer sweating.

Good luck sweaties! biggrin.gif

I think the comment about the AC could be right. I've never managed to get away from using the AC and have also never got used to the heat and humidity. I've worked in much hotter places but without the humidity.

I personally think the heat is worse than cold. In the cold you can always put more clothes on, but in the heat once your down to your bare body you're done. It's also very inconvenient the same as the cold. Our kids like to go swimming, but most of the day for most of the year it is just too hot until near tea time. We want to go to the zoo too, but again too hot most of the day. When I want to go for a run it's the same, too hot almost all day. I like the sun and don't like the cold much, but the heat here together with the humidity is terrible.

I think the comment about the AC could be right. I've never managed to get away from using the AC and have also never got used to the heat and humidity.

I hardly used air-con for my first 15 years here and was miserable except during cool season. I am much happier since I gave up my cheapo ways. Thank God for modern amenities. :thumbsup:

Edited by Ulysses G.

The OP has only been here (presumably) a short time!

He will get (sort of) get used to the heat and humidity, like the rest of us, after a few years.

Meanwhile, shower often.

Edit - Like the Thais, they shower often too.

Edited by F1fanatic

After 10 years, I still sweat like a pig. And I couldn't live without AC. Now I'm trying to loose 15 kg doing a diet (lost already 5!) and I hope the situation will improve. The problem are not the under arms but my entire torso, back and front. After 1 km walk I can squeeze the tshirt and get back an half liter of liquid!

Some people sweat profusely and some don't. Some people acclimatise and some don't.

So don't expect things to get easier because they might not.

As for Thais showering more often, that may be true if they're not working but otherwise they'll have a shower before going to work, one when they gey home and one before going to bed. Even in work places with shower facilities my experience is that the average Thai prefers a lunchtime sleep over a shower any day.

Of course the references to Thais showering more may be based on girls working in a certain old profession. :ermm:;)

I could be wrong, but surely weight loss through sweating will be put straight back on when the water is replaced in the body?

No. I think you're wrong.

A very large amount of fat in the human body is caused by water bloat.

Think of it like this. You are in the Sahara Desert. Your body is not getting enough water. When you eat (or when you drink) your body extracts all the water and stores it as fat. In simple English, your body is distressed and needs to retain water.

But if you start drinking large amounts of water, your body will understand that it now has access to a regular supply. Consequently, it no longer needs to store water as fat. And it will start shedding fat very quickly.

The easiest and quickest way to lose weight is to start drinking about 5 litres of water EVERY day.

Try it. You'll be amazed.

Cut out the alcohol. Exercise moderately. And then see what happens.

When I was about 26 or 27 I auditioned for one of those TV ads in the late eighties for Levis Jeans. I never got the contract, but I came close. I had the perfect model figure.

One year ago I had become a fat slob. Today, I have almost the same figure as I had way back then. And I don't sweat, either.

Water!!!

The OP has only been here (presumably) a short time!

He will get (sort of) get used to the heat and humidity, like the rest of us, after a few years.

Meanwhile, shower often.

Edit - Like the Thais, they shower often too.

OP has been here since May, or December/January, depending upon which of his previous posts and topics we read.

:lol: