Been Here A Month And I'M Still The Sweatiest Man In Town!

sidjameson

Maybe consider Dry-Fit clothing, wicks the sweat away from the skin and cools you off when a breeze hits the cloth. Sweat doesn't show through.

My problem is head sweat, no solution for that other than a hankerchief.

If a citric fruit is my first meal of the day, i will sweat. If i smoke a cig before i eat i will sweat. Not standing still, but while walking even inside of a mall.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am nor overweight. :)

But nice to know that many others sweat the same as me. But honestly when I am out and about in Bangkok I do feel I am the only one!

Strange thing is, when I am with a thai friend and I put the air con on at home it is always me that feels cold first. I cant sleep with aircon on either. I wake up freezing!

In Bangkok I now feel that I have a very narrow comfort zone of about 28 to 29 degrees. Anything much either way and I am complaining. Strange eh.

I think I will stop sweating fortthwith

I quit sweating last Thursday.

Went cold turkey.

Just quit. Completely stopped.

It was hard at first.

Had all the usual withdrawal symptoms: hallucinations, the shakes, anxiety.

But I'm okay now.

I finally quit sweating.

Anyway -- today is a holiday so I'm now gonna go and get pissed.

There are only three solutions to keeping cool in LOS.....

1] stay indoors [aircon of course]

2] go north in latitude, but in LOS, it's hot in Chiang Rai

3] go UP in elevation.....my choice in LOS.....but you have to go up at least 1,000mtrs to really feel cool and that's easy to do in the north of LOS.

Yes, there is plenty you can do, but all of the solutions require discipline. Oh, did I say that nasty word. The Japanese, and some Chinese believe you can regulate the temperature of your body, and the perception of heat, with diet. I have noticed, that when it is very hot, if I cut down my sugar intake, and also cut down my meat intake, it helps alot. The result is immediate. Subsititute alot of veggies, and some fish and seafood, for meat. Beef and pork seem to be the biggest offenders. Thy cutting back on that, and see what kind of difference it makes.

If I have a night drinking the next day is Betty Swallox time. Beer really makes me sweat in this heat.

Last year I gave up drinking alcohol, cut down on sugars, ate Thai food. l live in a home that is not air-conditioned, but my work-place is aircon. Shower regular and use baby powder after showering. I hardly sweat....unless I drink.

I know it sounds counter intuitive but try wearing loose fitting, light colored, long sleeve

tee shirts & long pants.

I work in the sun & for years wore shorts & tank tops. After switching I was amazed at overall how much cooler

I am.

Makes sense though when you think of the sun hitting your skin versus standing in the shade. So try shade your skin from & see how it works for you.

Look at the Thai framers see how they dress? Same with most you see on scooters wearing those lightweight jackets in the hot weather.

I've been here nearly 8 years and still have a massive sweating problem. There is a condition called hyperhydrosis that causes abnormal sweating and that could be the cause (no cure or medication last time I checked). I sweat so badly that if I'm walking for a few minutes I look like I went for a swim with my clothes on... so bad that Thai people have stopped me at least three times to ask if I was ok or look at me and say "farang so hot" in a sympathetic voice.

In some cases not using air con for a while as I've been told by everyone since I came here will help you get acclimatized, but I don't believe that's the case for me. For the first two years living here I rented a house that only had one aircon in the bedroom and I was on my building site all day six days a week sweating in the heat and dust and my body never changed one bit. I have to wear tennis type sweat bands everywhere I go because my head sweats so much the water burns my eyes or drips on my glasses when I look down. I've pretty much had to give up golf because of this problem.

At this point, I'm so miserable I'm thinking of selling up and moving to Alaska! :(

I know it sounds counter intuitive but try wearing loose fitting, light colored, long sleeve

tee shirts & long pants.

I work in the sun & for years wore shorts & tank tops. After switching I was amazed at overall how much cooler

I am.

Makes sense though when you think of the sun hitting your skin versus standing in the shade. So try shade your skin from & see how it works for you.

Look at the Thai framers see how they dress? Same with most you see on scooters wearing those lightweight jackets in the hot weather.

I don't think I'll go as far as the balaclava helmet though...

SC

Been here 2 years and have lived in much hotter and more humid places like West Africa. The tip I got was to look for an apartment on the top floor with a good breeze, use a fan and do not use the aircon. The heat-shock going from aircon room to outside is what kicks your sweat glands into action. I have a big slow fan that is almost silent and it's good for sleeping.

I forgot to say - no beer or pepsi ;)

Edited by jpinx

when using the aircon set it 5 degree less than the outside temperature, everything else will cause discomfort on the long run.

Wear 100% cotton clothes and you will see a change.

Drink lots of water, even when you are not thirsty. Don't wait until you become thirsty.

Edited by elcent

I've been here nearly 8 years and still have a massive sweating problem. There is a condition called hyperhydrosis that causes abnormal sweating and that could be the cause (no cure or medication last time I checked). I sweat so badly that if I'm walking for a few minutes I look like I went for a swim with my clothes on... so bad that Thai people have stopped me at least three times to ask if I was ok or look at me and say "farang so hot" in a sympathetic voice.

In some cases not using air con for a while as I've been told by everyone since I came here will help you get acclimatized, but I don't believe that's the case for me. For the first two years living here I rented a house that only had one aircon in the bedroom and I was on my building site all day six days a week sweating in the heat and dust and my body never changed one bit. I have to wear tennis type sweat bands everywhere I go because my head sweats so much the water burns my eyes or drips on my glasses when I look down. I've pretty much had to give up golf because of this problem.

At this point, I'm so miserable I'm thinking of selling up and moving to Alaska! :(

Try cutting down on your beef and pork intake for a few days, and see how much cooler you are. The Japanese have known about this for centuries. As westerners we have a hard time believing food can effect the bodies systems. It does.

Botox is very useful for hyperhidrosis. It has medical journals supported already. Once you sweat less and your smell will get better as well.

[spicy food makes u have undesirable odor too... avoid it if u have that kind of problem... don't make me fainted in BTS/MRT plz plz plz]

You should give it a try (in case you concern about it). It may cost a lot at the beginning but in long term, if you have injections regularly, let's say it lasts 6 months for the first time. The latter time will last longer.

Dramatic result. You can see the change within a few days.

Anyway, due to previous posts... i'm Thai and i don't sweat much at all. :D

Edited by Pammalitta

Well I used to get a sweaty ass when seated .Biggest problem was the wet marks that showed when I stood up! I always wear jeans now and you will find this helps.Coton breaths and does not show any colour change..I know this not stop you sweating but it is more comfortable and less unsightly...Alcohol also affects the liver where your body temperture is control to some degree....High blood pressure can make you hot and sweaty as well.So check it out....But most of all the main reason is that it <deleted> HOT over here..More so down South...:blink:

I spend 3 months in England every year, so when I return to Thailand I have an adjustment period. It takes about a week and I use the aircons to do this. The First day I set them to 25 a temperature at which I don't sweat, next day 26 , next day 27, and so on until it is 30 their upper limit, it then is just a fan.

At night I set the bedroom aircon to dry not cool, this gives me a good night's sleep. This works for me. But age is also a factor, old people and children sweat less, this is why in a heat wave the old and very young are most prone to heat stroke.

try and buy loads of anti bacterial spray on before you come and pack it in hold luggage, i use dove 48 hour protection cool.gif does me fine, although i dont even sweat that much back home in uk

try and buy loads of anti bacterial spray on before you come and pack it in hold luggage, i use dove 48 hour protection cool.gif does me fine, although i dont even sweat that much back home in uk

You're not working hard enough :P

Somebody mentioned Drysol. It contains aluminum chloride - I think it is the same type of product I once received a prescription for.

My recollection is that the stuff burned like hell. It stopped perspiration in the precise spots where it was applied. You might try to get a bottle to use in a pinch.

I find that the "Prickly Heat" mentholated talcum powder helps quite a bit.

Button-down cotton shirts work better for me than t-shirts or polo shirts.

Other thoughts:

* keep hair cut short

* remain clean shaven - (I think Thai ladies aren't terribly fond of beards generally, either. hehe)

* If you've got an office or are out in your vehicle, bring a second set of each clothing article with you to swap out as needed

* Move to Chiang Mai

* Visit wat frequently to implore the universe to bring back the weather we had this past winter (excluding the torrential rain and flooding in the South)

Am I right about the weather in December - March this past winter, Gentlemen?

jimbeam1 has good advice. Stay in motels c/w a swim pool, stay beachside or near a beach. Go swimming and loose weight. I lost 25 lbs & dropped 4 waist sizes in 2 months last year. Always carry a small towel. 12 ThB in for a cooled one in most 7/11 stores. Take a buggy for golf. Drink a lot of bottled water!

Are you over weight?

Perhaps this is the problem.

Are you over weight?

Perhaps this is the problem.

He has already stated that it is not curable or treatable and is down to hyperhydrosis so being overweight is clearly NOT the problem in this instance!!!

I am overweight now, but I wasn't a few years ago and still had the problem. My father and brother had/have the same problem so I think it may be genetic in my case... :(

Losing weight is easy and can be done by anyone (NO SWEAT) and therefore problem solved!!!!