When You Marry A Thai Man

mike123ca

I have never given my wifes family a penny. I did not pay and sin sod as we got married in Australia then came over to Thailand after she finished her masters.

My inlaws are not broke which also helps so they never ask us for any money, buy they shower my daughter with gifts, money which is great.

Edited by WebBangkok

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a western woman marries a Thai man the chances are high that he has wealth, your run of the mill Thai man with normal low paying job has nothing to offer nor has the access or skills to socialize with western woman.

JH

So u say that no western woman has married a beach boy ???????????

Have u been to Thailand

Can you read? where does it say " no western woman has married a beach boy"?

Yes i have been to Thailand, have you?

JH

Well, seems the men have all the answers about western women here so no real reason to post. You know it all!

That said, some of the comments on this thread are really quite demeaning of women so I think a reminder of forum rules is necessary before any further demeaning comments are made.

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

and just for good measure:

8) Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais.

http://www.thaivisa....tion=boardrules

sbk the reason we ask you these following questions is we understand you are married to a Thai. Your experience could be quite helpful in this thread. Some of us wonder sometimes if women like yourself got sin sot . We also wonder approximately how much does the husband give your family each month. All you assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

mike123ca

It is expected that the person with highest salary (and highest social level) will contribute with most funds to rest of the near family on both sides.

This is not unique to Thailand, but common in most countries in Asia.

sbk the reason we ask you these following questions is we understand you are married to a Thai. Your experience could be quite helpful in this thread. Some of us wonder sometimes if women like yourself got sin sot . We also wonder approximately how much does the husband give your family each month. All you assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, I didn't realize that there were men interested in actually hearing actual women's opinions since all of the early responses were from men 'telling it like it is' . Or rather their limited perception of how it is.

No, my husband does not give my family money. Why would he? They are perfectly capable of fending for themselves financially.

No, we do not give his family money. Why would we? They are financially very well off.

No, I did not receive sin sot as we did not have a wedding. Sin sot (and I have said this a thousand times) is only paid at an actual wedding. I chose not to have one as I couldn't handle the 1000+ people that would have attended. However, my FIL did give me gold jewelry after we married at the amphur as a wedding gift and they contributed financially to the construction of our home as well as gave us the land to live on. Additionally, they have given us other pieces of land for our avocado orchard.

So, I guess that answers the ATM question.

No, he doesn't hit me, no he isn't lazy, no he doesn't drink, no he doesn't womanize. Not all men do. I am wise enough to realize that one good experience does not make everyone wonderful just as I am wise enough to realize one bad experience does not make everyone a monster.

Yes I have friends who did not marry beach boys. Several in fact.

Oh, I didn't realize that there were men interested in actually hearing actual women's opinions since all of the early responses were from men 'telling it like it is' . Or rather their limited perception of how it is.

No, my husband does not give my family money. Why would he? They are perfectly capable of fending for themselves financially.

No, we do not give his family money. Why would we? They are financially very well off.

No, I did not receive sin sot as we did not have a wedding. Sin sot (and I have said this a thousand times) is only paid at an actual wedding. I chose not to have one as I couldn't handle the 1000+ people that would have attended. However, my FIL did give me gold jewelry after we married at the amphur as a wedding gift and they contributed financially to the construction of our home as well as gave us the land to live on. Additionally, they have given us other pieces of land for our avocado orchard.

No, he doesn't hit me, no he isn't lazy, no he doesn't drink, no he doesn't womanize. Not all men do. I am wise enough to realize that one good experience does not make everyone wonderful just as I am wise enough to realize one bad experience does not make everyone a monster.

So you didnot get sinsot and the husband doesnot help your family.

Does that ever give you a feeling of not being accepted into the family and Thai society, being that the husband saw no need to fulfill his sinsot position in the relationship.

Did he ever give a reason for not wanting to help your parents?

Does it depress you that a common Thai woman receives sin sot while you arenot by the sounds of it even offered it. If you are an educated woman does that not make you wonder about culture and how you are treated in the marriage?

But it is good to se you can rationalize his behaviour and live with the fact you may have been treated like a second class citizen.

Edited by lovelomsak

My friend from Denmark lost a lot of money to the Thai guy she met in Koh Phangan.

He lied to her about everything, by the time she found out about his Thai wife and kids it was too late, she had already paid the money to start a business that she thought was for them, and with the new motorcycle in his name too, that was that. So she went off working in Hostess bars in Tokyo and she started lying to Japanese guys.

She made a fortune as she was beautiful, maybe the Thai guy done her a favor in the end.

She learnt a valuable lesson, and good education isn't cheap, all part of life's rich tapestry. :)

Does that ever give you a feeling of not being accepted into the family and Thai society, being that the husband saw no need to fulfill his sinsot position in the relationship.

Does it depress you that a common Thai woman receives sin sot while you arenot by the sounds of it even offered it. If you are an educated woman does that not make you wonder about culture and how you are treated in the marriage?

But it is good to se you can rationalize his behaviour and live with the fact you may have been treated like a second class citizen.

Do you find it disturbing that you don't understand a thing that I said or that you have completely twisted everything I said to some very odd idea you have in your head?

I do.

I would tend to think that even in Western family arrangements between partners of the same socioeconomic class, sometimes there are couples where the husband or wife support the other partner, and even in those groups that such couples must sometimes entertain the in-laws reciprocally.... which is basically the limit of fair play here, as far as I'm concerned. Anything more needs to be looked at in a very tough-love manner. If your Thai partner isn't on board with that, then the two of you are probably not actually compatible as a long term couple anyway- just like in a Western family.... etc., etc.......

Impressive numbers. Big family?

By the way, allow me to put my mod hat on for a moment and say to a certain poster- you know who you are- that it's pretty bad manners to put words in a poster's mouth, no matter who it is- especially negative words, especially if it's a woman and you've already been warned about woman-bashing remarks earlier in the thread. I'd suggest thinking about whether a posting holiday is worth pushing your luck just to make another inflammatory remark.

Impressive numbers. Big family?

Extremely large extended family. My nephew had 1500 people at his wedding to a local girl.

This is going to be a generalization, but if you think about it, you'll know it to be true in the vast majority of the cases. Simply put, farang women in Thailand have much higher standards for their mates than farang men. Cases in point:

Farang women generally would not date:

Men who cannot communicate fluently in her language

Men who have significantly less money

Men who are much less educated

Men who are much younger

Men who are of a much lower socio-economic class

Men who are in dead-end jobs with no future prospects

In most cases, farang men would date:

Thai women who cannot communicate fluently in his language

Thai women who have significantly less money

Thai women who are much less educated

Thai women who are much younger

Thai women who are of a much lower socio-economic class

Thai women who are in dead-end jobs with no future prospects

The drawback for farang women, of course, is that having "higher standards" means that the pool of eligible men in Thailand is really, really small. And these top-tier, multi-lingual, successful, attractive Thai guys are in high demand amongst the Thai female population as well. So farang women are competing against Thailand's best and brightest. And Thai girls have a home-field advantage. Tough going.

I am indeed OUT of your "most cases" and cannot tick ANY of these statements, and none of my mates ticks all these ....

This is going to be a generalization, but if you think about it, you'll know it to be true in the vast majority of the cases. Simply put, farang women in Thailand have much higher standards for their mates than farang men. Cases in point:

Men who are much younger

The drawback for farang women, of course, is that having "higher standards" means that the pool of eligible men in Thailand is really, really small. And these top-tier, multi-lingual, successful, attractive Thai guys are in high demand amongst the Thai female population as well. So farang women are competing against Thailand's best and brightest. And Thai girls have a home-field advantage. Tough going.

There are some holiday destinations in Africa which are very famous for white females. And there the women date exactly the men you describe, without "Men who are in dead-end jobs with no future prospects". Male prostitute has good future prospects.

I know some stories which are exactly the same as the sex tourist stories from Thailand.

Men who are much younger

There are some holiday destinations in Africa which are very famous for white females. And there the women date exactly the men you describe, without "Men who are in dead-end jobs with no future prospects". Male prostitute has good future prospects.

I know some stories which are exactly the same as the sex tourist stories from Thailand.

I'm sure you are right. But Bershire was talking about Farang women or Farang men in Thailand.

Edited by Semper

As someone who has been married to a very good and decent Thai man for 20 years I actually find your comments rather offensive. After reading sbk perfectly civil reply I fail to understand who you think you are posting such comments in what I read as such a derogatory manner.

Yes we send his parents money- it's something he did long before he met me. His siblings send the in-laws the same amount, so my hubby is not being singled out to send more because he has a farang spouse. I did get a sin-sot but as the in-laws are very poor and could not afford it, they used our money and returned it to us later.

A close friend of mine is married to a Thai guy whose background is very similar to my husband's. We talked about this just recently - that we are with our hubbies for a myriad of reasons, none of which are based on money. For me they include hub's kindness, big smile, gentle nature, the fact he cares deeply and openly for his family and is great with kids. He is a hard worker even when being paid a pittance and treated like rubbish by his employers and despite his difficult life has very strong moral values: he does not gamble, drink excessively or beat me. He is inquisitive, loves learning new things and is excited about us having a life together. He doesn't need a university education or a lot of money to be a nice, normal man in a happy, strong marriage.

Yes we send his parents money- it's something he did long before he met me. His siblings send the in-laws the same amount, so my hubby is not being singled out to send more because he has a farang spouse. I did get a sin-sot but as the in-laws are very poor and could not afford it, they used our money and returned it to us later.

A close friend of mine is married to a Thai guy whose background is very similar to my husband's. We talked about this just recently - that we are with our hubbies for a myriad of reasons, none of which are based on money. For me they include hub's kindness, big smile, gentle nature, the fact he cares deeply and openly for his family and is great with kids. He is a hard worker even when being paid a pittance and treated like rubbish by his employers and despite his difficult life has very strong moral values: he does not gamble, drink excessively or beat me. He is inquisitive, loves learning new things and is excited about us having a life together. He doesn't need a university education or a lot of money to be a nice, normal man in a happy, strong marriage.

Very touching post ...It gives you faith in humanity...

Seriously people - are you that averse to seeing other people happy?

The op wants to know how things work with farang woman married to a Thai. You've had perhaps 3 farang women share their stories. One is a success. The other was a disaster. The third from the sound of 20 years , another success but perhaps don't want to bother sharing with some on here cos they will prolly twist the story around too.

Sbk shared a lot of details - you want to know who pays who. So if both their families are financially ok what's wrong with nobody giving each other money? You ask about sinsod. So what if she didn't get sinsod. And if u are going to try imply it's Thai way to scam farang - don't start. Thais have been paying each other sinsod for a long time and still do. Besides, what do you think the plot of land, and money for house construction is about ? If they can afford it, it's not uncommon for parents to give gifts/cash/land to their child and in law - regardless of the country/ ethnicity of the in law. (ofcourse there will be those who have prejudices and want their child to marry only within their own ethnic group. But this applies beyond farang. There is no conspiracy and no one is out to get you :). I know of Chinese Thais who still prefer kids marry only chinese Thais. And don't even talk about majority of Indian Thai community here. Anyhow, I digress)

Point is - as a couple they were given gifts that would help them start their lives together. She may not have received a sinsod that went to her family. But here is how things usually work in a 'family'. If one is in trouble - health, financial, whatever - others who are in a position to help will do so.

(did she mention rich? I read: they can take care of themselves. And even if she/ her husband/ and both their families are rich, so what? I don't understand what your point in that remark is?)

I'm financially independent, have never asked any man for money. But let's say I were in long term relationship and needed help, I'd expect my partner would do what he can. I would do the same for him and his family. If I can't rely on my partner in times of need, and he on me', why bother be in a relationship ? Friends, good friends, would do the same too.

Every relationship is different. Some are good some aren't. And then some are terrible. Regardless of what ethnic make up of the partners are. My expectations outlined above are in the hope that I end up with a good partner. The expectations remain whether I marry a Thai , farang or middle eastern man.

And those that are trying to imply that farang women / farang men are cheated as only men are asked to pay sinsod, while farang women don't receive any. Read sbk's post again for example.

Just as an aside - I've also had a farang man cheat me financially. Not a business deal. So it can happen both ways.

Ps. Just saw goinghomesoon's post

Yet another different story

And these confirm my belief that what is given to whom really depends on who has the better ability. If 2 partners come from very different economic background, then it's up to both to help maintain the balance of not turning it into a take take take attitude by one, and a give give give by the other all the time

Seriously people - are you that averse to seeing other people happy?

The op wants to know how things work with farang woman married to a Thai. You've had perhaps 3 farang women share their stories. One is a success. The other was a disaster. The third from the sound of 20 years , another success but perhaps don't want to bother sharing with some on here cos they will prolly twist the story around too.

Sbk shared a lot of details - you want to know who pays who. So if both their families are financially ok what's wrong with nobody giving each other money? You ask about sinsod. So what if she didn't get sinsod. And if u are going to try imply it's Thai way to scam farang - don't start. Thais have been paying each other sinsod for a long time and still do. Besides, what do you think the plot of land, and money for house construction is about ? If they can afford it, it's not uncommon for parents to give gifts/cash/land to their child and in law - regardless of the country/ ethnicity of the in law. (ofcourse there will be those who have prejudices and want their child to marry only within their own ethnic group. But this applies beyond farang. There is no conspiracy and no one is out to get you :). I know of Chinese Thais who still prefer kids marry only chinese Thais. And don't even talk about majority of Indian Thai community here. Anyhow, I digress)

Point is - as a couple they were given gifts that would help them start their lives together. She may not have received a sinsod that went to her family. But here is how things usually work in a 'family'. If one is in trouble - health, financial, whatever - others who are in a position to help will do so.

(did she mention rich? I read: they can take care of themselves. And even if she/ her husband/ and both their families are rich, so what? I don't understand what your point in that remark is?)

I'm financially independent, have never asked any man for money. But let's say I were in long term relationship and needed help, I'd expect my partner would do what he can. I would do the same for him and his family. If I can't rely on my partner in times of need, and he on me', why bother be in a relationship ? Friends, good friends, would do the same too.

Every relationship is different. Some are good some aren't. And then some are terrible. Regardless of what ethnic make up of the partners are. My expectations outlined above are in the hope that I end up with a good partner. The expectations remain whether I marry a Thai , farang or middle eastern man.

And those that are trying to imply that farang women / farang men are cheated as only men are asked to pay sinsod, while farang women don't receive any. Read sbk's post again for example.

Just as an aside - I've also had a farang man cheat me financially. Not a business deal. So it can happen both ways.

This thread is turning into a girl fight. :D

As previously said , my point is : Money does switch parameters.

The OP post comes obviously from an usual situation where the Thai family is POOR, and he seems irritated that he has to send money to them.

If they would too have money I don't think he would have to :

1/ send them any money

2/ be annoyed and feel like an ATM

3/ write this post in the first place

Money = no need to ask your family for help = no issue = no need to answer the post (unless you like to boast), or just say it is not the same situation and it obviously cannot compare . Comprendo ?

It seems the thread has gotten off topic fairly well. I thought we were discussing when a foriegn woman marries a thai man are the rules the same. Instead we have foreign women defending their position of marriage to a Thai man. No sin sot ,no money to family .

Is the culture of sin sot a poor persons culture I think not I personnally know Thai men who gave millions of baht for their sin sot.So for foreign women to come on here and make excuses it is hard to accept .. One family every sister got a new BMW, after paying millions in sinsot. it appears just because the family is rich isnot an excuse to not pay sinsot unless of course the woman is a foreigner.

So my conclusion here is foreign women donot get it no matter how rich of a family they marry into. Nor do they get help for the family.Seems about right yes.I read I weep.

Edited by lovelomsak

It seems the thread has gotten off topic fairly well. I thought we were discussing when a foriegn woman marries a thai man are the rules the same. Instead we have foreign women defending their position of marriage to a Thai man. No sin sot ,no money to family .

Is the culture of sin sot a poor persons culture I think not I personnally know Thai men who gave millions of baht for their sin sot.So for foreign women to come on here and make excuses it is hard to accept .. One family every sister got a new BMW, after paying millions in sinsot. it appears just because the family is rich isnot an excuse to not pay sinsot unless of course the woman is a foreigner.

So my conclusion here is foreign women donot get it no matter how rich of a family they marry into. Nor do they get help for the family.Seems about right yes.I read I weep.

You either rather thick or deliberately dishonest. Either way you've got issues (and a real nasty streak), haven't you?

Lovelomsak, you are getting confused.

The topic is NOT sin sot.

Please re read the original topic and you see that it is money ONCE they are married, not FOR getting married.

And yes the OP clearly asked foreign ladies to give their opinion, whether you like it or not.