I Quit My Job Today!

Hey a quick question for anyone with this knowledge;

I ordered 5,000 baht from the bank and was wondering how long 5,000 will last?

Because it'll cost me $3.00 from my bank + whatever bank fee charge Thailand has to withdrawl money so I'm wondering how much should I take out so I don't carry tons of cash, don't know how carefull that is, and it lasts a while.

Another note; I don't plan on living rich over there. Just in cheaper hotels/guest houses/beach bungalos and local food. My girlfriend back here is half Thai/Laotian and her Thai mom cooked me authentic spicy Thai foods to Thai 'hot' standards so I could see if I could handle it over western 'hot' standards. It was sooo good and the best hot ever.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cancel the order. You are only allowed to bring 2000B in banknotes into the country. I'd bring 2000B plus some travellers checks, and all Canadian bank cards work fine.

Don't get either cash or checks from Thomas Cook, they robbed me bigtime last time.

You're going in high season so budget 400b a night at minimum for accomadation. 3 local meals at 30 -50b each. Depending on where you are the transport costs vary wildly. Sometimes its best to pay an extra couple hundred to get a place close to everything than to pay out the same in transport fees.

Grab a Lonely Planet. Don't take its word is gospel, but it's just released and as up to date as any travel guide you'll find. Having a little forknowlage will pay off the $25 purchase price in your first day or two.

cv

Cancel the order. You are only allowed to bring 2000B in banknotes into the country. I'd bring 2000B plus some travellers checks, and all Canadian bank cards work fine.

Don't get either cash or checks from Thomas Cook, they robbed me bigtime last time.

You're going in high season so budget 400b a night at minimum for accomadation. 3 local meals at 30 -50b each.  Depending on where you are the transport costs vary wildly. Sometimes its best to pay an extra couple hundred to get a place close to everything than to pay out the same in transport fees.

Grab a Lonely Planet. Don't take its word is gospel, but it's just released and as up to date as any travel guide you'll find. Having a little forknowlage will pay off the $25 purchase price in your first day or two.

cv

Ha woops... I already have the notes. 5,000 baht.

Umm... so do I get searched or anything? Haha

Probably not. I've repeatedly gone through customs with several times the allowed amount of booze, told them about it, and they just wave me through.

But get some (amex) travellers checks for emergencies, and spend them last. Always use your cards and cash first because travellers checks are easily replaced where the others aren't.

I reported amex checks missing in Phuket once and had authorisation to get new ones within about 20min.

cv

Probably not. I've repeatedly gone through customs with several times the allowed amount of booze, told them about it, and they just wave me through.

But get some (amex) travellers checks for emergencies, and spend them last. Always use your cards and cash first because travellers checks are easily replaced where the others aren't.

I reported amex checks missing in Phuket once and had authorisation to get new ones within about 20min.

cv

Alright good idea.

I've also heard that sometimes when using Amex trav. checks people will assume it's American currency and give you American change back.

Alright good idea.

I've also heard that sometimes when using Amex trav. checks people will assume it's American currency and give you American change back.

Great if you've got checks in Cdn $, sucks if they're in Euro or Pounds. :o

cv

cv

Alright good idea.

I think you'll find that any bank/exchange staff who make that mistake won't be employed for very long :o

cv

Alright good idea.

I think you'll find that any bank/exchange staff who make that mistake won't be employed for very long :o

Ha! At hotels and restaurants!

Can you give us a cite for these opinions please?

What's the regulation that says we can only bring 2000Bt in notes? I've never entered Thailand with less than 5000Bt in notes - I've never been asked, I've never been searched and and I don't believe that it's a requirement.

In what way were you robbed by Thomas Cook?

cv

Alright good idea.

Ha! At hotels and restaurants!

I also think you'll find that most hotels and restaurants won't accept traveller's cheques in payment of a bill. Unlike the US (and presumably Canada) traveller's cheques aren't considered to be negotiable currency. When you're in Thailand people expect you to pay in baht.

I also think you'll find that most hotels and restaurants won't accept traveller's cheques in payment of a bill. Unlike the US (and presumably Canada) traveller's cheques aren't considered to be negotiable currency. When you're in Thailand people expect you to pay in baht.

There are plenty of places to cash them at reasonable exchange rates and low fees.

cv

What's the regulation that says we can only bring 2000Bt in  notes? I've never entered Thailand with less than 5000Bt in notes - I've never been asked, I've never been searched and and I don't believe that it's a requirement.

In what way were you robbed by Thomas Cook?

Looks like your right on that point. There was a limit of 2000B per person or 4000B per family at one time, though a Thai law firm is saying that the only limits are a 50000B limit on export.

Thanks for pointing that out :o

And Thomas Cook tried to give me a horrible exchange when I returned some baht to them, the clerk backed off and gave me a better, but still unreasonable rate. The clerk's flexibility made me suspicious, and the crazy rates made me come to the conclusion that after many years of using them, it was time to stop. When those you trust try to rip you off it's much worse.

cv

What's your daily budget?

My girlfriend back here is half Thai/Laotian

Are you bringing your GF?

me three... But i´m starting to lose a little hair if I must be honest....

Please Your highness.. May I slag yet?

By the time you'll be able to 'slag' I'll be in Thailand not checking this forum at all :o

Kayo :D Jesse, don't just love us and leave us now... :D:D

What's your daily budget?

If you're in Nana Plaza and feeling generous and boistrous, 5,000 baht should be ok for the night.......of drinking.

Ha!

Ummm... my daily budget? Well I'm going to be eating local foods, yes I can handle the spice 'cause I was unsure if I could and my gf's mom cooked me authentic 'hot' Thai food and it went down and out like any other food, and staying at guesthouses/cheap hotels.

No she's not coming with me.

Edit: I have 140,000 bahts for three months.

Edited by Canadian-Jesse

I finally read through this thread... Congrats on quitting your job and on going on a great trip to Thailand.

140k is almost 47k/mth which should be fine with the lifestyle you imply. There will certainly also be room for plenty of drinks/party Etc. in that!

Have a great trip! Cheers!

140k is almost 47k/mth which should be fine with the lifestyle you imply. There will certainly also be room for plenty of drinks/party Etc. in that!

Is the 140k for spending money, or including your hotels? If only for food and drink, then it's enough. But if it's for Hotels, girls, barfines etc he'll run out of cash in no time, 6 or 7 weeks, maybe. :o

Boj, c'mon, it's Jesse we're talking about here! He won't have to pay anything... :o

Quite right Baht, i offer my most emphatic apologies to Khun Jessie, for even thinking of the possibility, that he may have to pay for a night of passion. With his charm and looks, the BG will stump up her own money to Mamma San :D

Boj, c'mon, it's Jesse we're talking about here! He won't have to pay anything... :o

Quite right Baht, i offer my most emphatic apologies to Khun Jessie, for even thinking of the possibility, that he may have to pay for a night of passion. With his charm and looks, the BG will stump up her own money to Mamma San :D

:D:D

It's not that rare a thing to see a BG pay her own barfine where a strapping young lad's involved, i'm sure Jesse's going to get along famously :D

I too await his adventures with baited breath. He has all the hallmarks of a forum legend in the making :D

Have a fun time Mr.Canadian-Jesse I was so young at 19, wish I would have done the same as you are doing.

Just simmer down some son and enjoy your youth.

Thanks a lot.

As for the rest! LL Cool J (Ladies Love Cool Jesse)

I won't be doing any bargirls... I wouldn't ###### a hooker back here so why would I ###### one in Thailand?