Why Elected Thai MPs Weren't Endorsed

webfact

Let me help ...

Dave highlighted a phrase used by the NYT that illustrates how some in the international media see the Pheu Thai party.

You are not actually helping.What "phrase" are you referring to ?

Probably best leave the original poster clear up the confusion?

Does this read better?

"The post was not being critical of the NYT article, just pointing out the term used in their article".

Not really I'm afraid.What is the "term" that you refer to and where does it appear in the NYT article?

Let me help ...

Dave highlighted a phrase used by the NYT that illustrates how some in the international media see the Pheu Thai party.

You are not actually helping.What "phrase" are you referring to ?

Probably best leave the original poster clear up the confusion?

If you can't understand that, then I think you are beyond help.

Does this read better?

"The post was not being critical of the NYT article, just pointing out the term used in their article".

Not really I'm afraid.What is the "term" that you refer to and where does it appear in the NYT article?

Bejaysus.... I'll do it.

As published by the NYT

"supporters of Mr. Thaksin's Pheu Thai party"

Meaning the international press are referring to PTP as Mr. Thaksin's Pheu Thai party

Bhum Jai Thai party-list MP candidate Chai Chidchob: Offering free food to "influence" voters and officials related to the election.

wasn't there a complaint against Yingluck for giving away food also?

He wasnt just giving free food away or maybe the money voters where getting was to buy the food

<br />
<br />
<br />Does this read better?<br /><br /><br />"The post was not being critical of the NYT article, just pointing out the term used in their article".<br />
<br /><br />Not really I'm afraid.What is the "term" that you refer to and where does it appear in the NYT article?<br />
<br />Bejaysus.... I'll do it.<br /><br /><br />
<br />As published by the NYT<br /><br />"supporters of <b>Mr. Thaksin's Pheu Thai party</b>"<br />
<br />Meaning the international press are referring to PTP as <b>Mr. Thaksin's Pheu Thai party</b><br />
&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;<br /><br />

And so what? Sorry to be so dense, but what relevance does this phrase have? Everyone knows it's his party, not just in the sense that he's affiliated to it, but that he's in effect the founder, owner, sponsor whatever you want to call it.

This isn't denied by anyone in the world, and that's exactly why his party won - the man is much beloved, and by more Thais than anyone else involved in politics. The fact that he's a so-called criminal is besides the point, so are nearly all the people involved in politics here - another fact of life that everyone acknowledges and accepts. But the Thai people don't want a different criminal in charge, they want *this* one.

The anti-reds should get it through their thick skulls that democracy might suck, but we haven't found a better system yet, they need to live with it. Doing anything substantial to try to overturn this result and subvert the will of the voters isn't just playing with fire, it's playing with an armed nuclear warhead.

And I also hope that Thaksin's willing to be patient, and wait for at least a year or two before trying to come back. I'm not pro-red, I'm pro-Thailand, and I believe *both* sides being reasonable is the only hope this country has of being able to move forward in a constructive fashion.

And what's with this forum software's sucky quoting system?

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

(quote) But the Thai people don't want a different criminal in charge, they want *this* one.

Brilliant, Brilliant, Brilliant, all the forums topics summed up in one paragraph Now who can follow that?

begin removed ...

The anti-reds should get it through their thick skulls that democracy might suck, but we haven't found a better system yet, they need to live with it. Doing anything substantial to try to overturn this result and subvert the will of the voters isn't just playing with fire, it's playing with an armed nuclear warhead.

And I also hope that Thaksin's willing to be patient, and wait for at least a year or two before trying to come back. I'm not pro-red, I'm pro-Thailand, and I believe *both* sides being reasonable is the only hope this country has of being able to move forward in a constructive fashion.

And what's with this forum software's sucky quoting system?

Pro-reds should also get it through their thick skulls that just putting a perfectly legal petition to the EC is not the same as trying to overturn the election result. Same like todays petition by the Pheu Thai to disbann Dem's and BJT will not overturn the election result. Why is anything effecting Pheu Thai somehow similar to 'playing with fire' ? Just lifting the right finger to Pheu Thai is un-democratic?

PS using Opera browser I cannot post with unequal begin/end quotes, I get a warning and have to correct. Similar with the HTML code visible. Maybe different input program /device?

Unlike many foreigners those of us that recall the stability of militart rule understand that conservative Thais ,the old the middle class and those with something to loose do not trust politicians

Wahtever I or you think it will be the military that will call the shots as it flexes its muscles.

The generals change but the trough remains the target

Imagine Army Bank in Uk Army TV in USA Army running pharma trade in Sweden

Coup September when poor tired busy and plans ageed 19th always seems a popular day

In meantime politicians will be tied up by EC courts and endless distractions

For newbies

The more he denied it the tighter i clutched my wallet

They denied every last coup until it happened

Interesting the article mentions the bizarre 'Ms. Yingluck cooking' charge, no mention of 'ex-PM Abhisit cooking though'. Were they both acquitted, or only Ms. Yingluck?

Yingluck had a complaint lodged regarding her cooking. I don't believe Abhisit did. It was mentioned by some with "But Abhisit ... ".

"As for the complaint made by the Nakorn Ratvhsrima Election Commission, claiming that Yingluck violated the election law as she cooked Chinese noodles and distributed them to her supporters, the election Commissioner, Sodsri Sattayatham, compared Yingluck's case to Abhisit's, when he cooked the Thai sweet, 'Kanom Krok', during his campaign."

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4550382

"Democrat Party spokesman Buranaj Smutharaks says he opposes an Election Commission investigation into allegations that Yingluck Shinawatra, likely the next prime minister, broke the election law by giving food to voters."

http://asiancorrespo...of-her-cooking/

OK, i see the real problem now. If you notice that Chef Yingluck cooked a Chinese variety of noodle, this is clearly the Elite Chinese bringing us one step closer to world domination. Abiyhist cooked a flat Thai style noodle which shows that he wants reconciliation. Ergo Abithist has a local, legal noodle which makes him a better leader for the Thai- Thai people. Duhhuh.gif EC Call me if you need me!

Corruption in Thai politics isn't the predisposition of any one party, it is rife on all sides.

what is disturbing is that these court cases and obstructive "legalities" all smack of people being pursued not so much for their "crimes" as for their political beliefs.

i'm sure the next admin will be able to launch a series of similar cases against the Democrat alliance.

However it does nothing to sort out the mess of Thai politics and democracy in Thailand.

Thailand is in the grip of a malignant Ouroborus; Unless someone takes the bull by the horn and embraces the concept of "reconciliation" then the endless cycle will continue

More likely being pursued in several cases for lack of any moral structure or ethics.

Reconciliation is an Oxymoron in this case.

Reconciliation = I get my way and my opponent loses.

Of course if they actually use the rule of law to do it, then at least that can be seen as progress, vs, doing it with no legal basis at all just force and intimidation.

how can you have a one word oxymoron?

Blip from the NYT

But in a sign of continued divisions over class and power in Thailand, pleas to respect the outcome have been met by derisive comments online about uneducated country bumpkins steering the country toward ruin.

So, clearly, the NYT reads TVF ... and then cleans up the language whistling.gif

Pity they don't listen to red-shirt radio upcountry. Now that would be a challenge as far as cleanup language would be concerned. At least with only 10% left after it should be easier to find those small bits and pieces of truth amongst the other rubbish.

Blip from the NYT

But in a sign of continued divisions over class and power in Thailand, pleas to respect the outcome have been met by derisive comments online about uneducated country bumpkins steering the country toward ruin.

So, clearly, the NYT reads TVF ... and then cleans up the language whistling.gif

I doubt it. Personally, I identify myself with many of the people who would call themselves "Red Shirts". It is my wish that a more egalitarian form of government and indeed, society will be created here in Thailand. I just don't think that will come by association with known criminals who on an ongoing basis continue to flout Thai law. These country folks have a lot of power in themselves in a democracy. They don't need to subordinate their future to the lust for power and riches of a raving megalomaniac. Let's see some legitimate candidates.

Edited by lannarebirth

Corruption in Thai politics isn't the predisposition of any one party, it is rife on all sides.

what is disturbing is that these court cases and obstructive "legalities" all smack of people being pursued not so much for their "crimes" as for their political beliefs.

i'm sure the next admin will be able to launch a series of similar cases against the Democrat alliance.

However it does nothing to sort out the mess of Thai politics and democracy in Thailand.

Thailand is in the grip of a malignant Ouroborus; Unless someone takes the bull by the horn and embraces the concept of "reconciliation" then the endless cycle will continue

More likely being pursued in several cases for lack of any moral structure or ethics.

Reconciliation is an Oxymoron in this case.

Reconciliation = I get my way and my opponent loses.

Of course if they actually use the rule of law to do it, then at least that can be seen as progress, vs, doing it with no legal basis at all just force and intimidation.

how can you have a one word oxymoron?

Conciliation round two ???? Naw, when was round one?

reconcile -vb (usually foll by to )

1.to make (oneself or another) no longer opposed;

cause to acquiesce in something unpleasant: she reconciled herself to poverty

2.to become friendly with (someone) after estrangement

or to re-establish friendly relations between (two or more people)

3.to settle (a quarrel or difference)

4.to make (two apparently conflicting things)

compatible or consistent with each other

5.to reconsecrate (a desecrated church, etc)

World English Dictionary

re-

a prefix, occurring originally in loanwords from Latin,

used with the meaning “again” or “again and again”

to indicate repetition, or with the meaning “back” or “backward”

to indicate withdrawal or backward motion:

regenerate; refurbish; retype; retrace;revert.

My point being that

'Re' and 'conciled' or Conciliation don't fit together in this case.

How can the be conciled again when they never were, nor intended to be.

OXYMON

Rhetorical figure by which contradictory terms are

conjoined so as to give point to the statement or expression;

the word itself is an illustration of the thing.

Now often used loosely to mean "contradiction in terms."

rhetoric an epigrammatic effect,

by which contradictory term sare used in conjunction

Edited by animatic

Blip from the NYT

I doubt it. Personally, I identify myself with many of the people who would call themselves "Red Shirts". It is my wish that a more egalitarian form of government and indeed, society will be created here in Thailand. I just don't think that will come by association with known criminals who on an ongoing basis continue to flout Thai law. These country folks have a lot of power in themselves in a democracy. They don't need to subordinate their future to the lust for power and riches of a raving megalomaniac. Let's see some legitimate candidates.

Agree with you completely about a more egalitarian society.

Blip from the NYT

I wonder how many former Thai Prime Ministers would pass your 'legitimacy' test. Whilst what you say is understandable and sympathetic to most posters, the whole problem here is that Thaksin - doing what most Thai PM's over the years have done but perhaps a bit more blatantly - was indicted and convicted for his actions for reasons that remain arguably political, and others before him weren't.

For a different, 'legitimate' candidate to emerge without any question as to his/her legitimacy would - I think you know - take a considerable amount of time. I believe the significant number of voters who feel themselves disenfranchised from the political and social structure of the country are not willing to wait as long as you suggest they do for a 'clean' leader.

Voters in this country well know that their politicians are by and large crooked. It is disengenious given the entire history of Thai politics to suggest that they should wait patiently for a clean one to come along, and shows what at best can be described as a naive attitude towards the political landscape in this country.

Cynics would suggest that this 'wait for the messianic figure' prerequisite for political viability is just another way to deny a significant number of this country's people their right to representation at cabinet level. No matter how in tune with our own perception of political legitimacy it is, its application to the Thai political scene is simply unrealistic.