TrueVisions In Major Expansion Of HD Services

webfact

TRUEVISIONS

TrueVisions in major expansion of HD services

By Watchiranont Thongtep

The Nation

30160229-01.jpg

TrueVisions, the leading subscription-based cable-television operator, has announced an expansion of high-definition services in a bid to broaden its subscriber base.

Managing director Thiti Nantapastsri said yesterday that the company until now had operated three HD channels - Reality HD, HBO HD and True Sport HD - as a pilot project via its digital fibre-optic cable network.

The service has now been expanded to 11 channels, offering a wide range of information, knowledge, music and entertainment programmes.

The eight additional channels are TrueSport HD2, National Geographic HD, Discovery HD World, Star Movies HD, Fox Family Movies HD, AXN HD, KMTV HD and IConcerts HD.

The service area for the HD channels now covers most of Bangkok and surrounding areas, as well as Nakhon Ratchasima, Khon Kaen, Rayong, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Songkhla, Lampang, Nakhon Sawan and Ubon Ratchathani provinces.

Chief commercial officer Ongard Prapakmol said the company expected the HD service to be available in 19 provinces in total by the end of the year.

Though the new service remains limited to subscribers to the fibre-optic cable network, it will also be available to satellite customers next year, with the goal of covering more than 2 million households in total within the next two years, he said.

Thiti said the service expansion would help the company achieve its revenue target of Bt10 billion this year, which would represent a 20-per-cent annual increase.

In the first quarter, the company generated Bt700 million in revenue from spot advertising, he added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-07-14

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on my satellite box these HD slots turned up a few days ago, anyone know if they are working if I get the HD set top receiver box from True Visions. I wonder what the price is, because the cost of the 3 test channels was outrageously expensive. :unsure:

It would be nice to see an improvement not just in the quality of the picture but the quality of programs offered.

Right on!!

First get the programs right and then worry about the upgraded quality.

A few programs (dramas, comedy, documentaries) from the UK instead of this incessant rubbish they buy from USA would be nice for starters.

I wonder how many people have the digital cable service? I only know of one person who has the cable from True but they have analog, when they tried to upgrade to digital they were told it wasn't available.

Edited by arkom

Subscription is too expensive for HD channels.

And for non HD channels, Truevisions has once again modified the allocation number of some channels. It may be a trifle but that's really annoying. I called the call center yesterday coz I cannot access directly a channel (I need to type another number and press the next button on the remote until I get to that channel), the guy on the phone did not even know there was a change in the number of channel!

However and believe it or not, at the end of the phone conversation he said something like "Health tip! Eating rambutan every day helps to get a nice skin."

Instead of making jokes and trying to get a smile from their customers at the end of a call, Truevisions should rather focus on the key point: offer a good range of channels with good quality picture and sound for a decent price. Is it too much to ask?

What are the channel numbers? I have True HD, and I haven't noticed any new channels!

They are probably waiting for you to phone them and confirm that you are willing to pay the extra fees for the extra channels, time to get a mortgage to be able to watch TV! :lol:

Subscription is too expensive for HD channels.

And for non HD channels, Truevisions has once again modified the allocation number of some channels. It may be a trifle but that's really annoying. I called the call center yesterday coz I cannot access directly a channel (I need to type another number and press the next button on the remote until I get to that channel), the guy on the phone did not even know there was a change in the number of channel!

However and believe it or not, at the end of the phone conversation he said something like "Health tip! Eating rambutan every day helps to get a nice skin."

Instead of making jokes and trying to get a smile from their customers at the end of a call, Truevisions should rather focus on the key point: offer a good range of channels with good quality picture and sound for a decent price. Is it too much to ask?

You will need to go to the menu on your system and select "rearrange channels". I did mine on sunday (again) took me 2 hours to put all the news ch in a grouping all the documentry in another all the Thai channels at the back etc. ect...

I dont know why True does not do this at their station, because the way they do the numbers is insane. :o

on my satellite box these HD slots turned up a few days ago, anyone know if they are working if I get the HD set top receiver box from True Visions. I wonder what the price is, because the cost of the 3 test channels was outrageously expensive. :unsure:

Yes, they are working. HBO is now at Ch 121 and there are a couple of other HD channels. There are other channels available as True indicated, but anything above 121 is not available to Satellite Dish receivers. It does take a new receiver box and there is a cost involved. I called True last night asking about their HD service, and was told that there is no schedule in the monthly magazine ....so we're limited in knowledge and availability until True decides to deliver to Bangkok..

What a con!! Their systems are so old.Picture and program quality mostly rubbish....Also I want to watch TV on demand and not at their crazy prices...So its not and probely never will be for me.I had it taken out 3 months ago and now download everything I want to watch in near HD quality...BBC ITV and isohunt rules.

I got them !! I have True HD and after reading this story i went to check it and they are from 120 up to 130... great quality, thumbs up for True, Finaly the HD package is worth something !!!

Do you have cable or Sat service? Also, what area are you located in.

It would be better with some competition...have had the Gold package the last 14 years or so and my impression is that it is getting poorer and poorer over time ... same movies shown on different channels and repeated eternally....if there was a serious competitor out there I would swop asap but I have not seen any.

The good thing is that they usually transmit the important boxing matches live .... before they used to do it with UFC from time to time but that is stopped unfortunately...don't even send them later on as they used to on Channel 102...maybe too expensive.

Now all they need to do is put on something worth watching. I cancelled my subscription after six months, there were better programmes and later release movies on the local network (Banglamung). True is1600 baht a month, Banglamung is 300.

It would be better with some competition...have had the Gold package the last 14 years or so and my impression is that it is getting poorer and poorer over time ... same movies shown on different channels and repeated eternally....if there was a serious competitor out there I would swop asap but I have not seen any.

The good thing is that they usually transmit the important boxing matches live .... before they used to do it with UFC from time to time but that is stopped unfortunately...don't even send them later on as they used to on Channel 102...maybe too expensive.

Competitors are not allowed and if they were, they would most likely be extinguished. "Stinks of Monopoly" I was told by an executive of True some years ago that "sorry the fees are high because the government wont allow us advertising"

They now have advertising (and make a fortune) so why are the fees not coming down, could this have something to do with greed? :annoyed:

About time someone from True joins in this discussion on TV "not brave enough"? :bah:

Edited by newermonkey

TrueSport HD2 and HBO HD have arrived on mine, good sound but no picture ?

Sorry cannot say what numbers as I move them to the order I want, so all the channels I watch are from 1 - 36

Many I watch have no signal !! as of 2 days ago.. Turbo, C.I. etc

Just done a search nothing new arrived yet this morning

It might be a slight thread hijacking, but I'd like to know if HD movie/series channels provide selectable subtitles (ie, choice between: off / Thai / English) ..?

My cable TV back in France in 2001 was providing this feature, but I don't have it with my Gold non-HD satellite package here... :rolleyes: