No Booze Sales Friday And Saturday - Asarnha Bucha Day

george

It's a silly law that doesn't make any sense.

It's all about control....the big boys floating around in the saffron need appeasement!:jap:

yes and they seek in i would say in hundreds down walking street and soi 7 and 8 in the mornings where all 5 main principals are broken. i cannot understand how they can ask working girls in bars for money just does not add up and makes me loose any respect i could possibly have for the religion. and many girls now show there contempt for them by simply turning there backs on them deliberatly, and who can blame them.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Evey three months whenever a buddist holiday comes around do we have the same repetitive arguments about why non buddist aren't allowed to purchase alcohol. Jeez if you're life revolves around alcohol so much I suggest you need help, give your liver a break and have a couple of days off. We all chose to live in a different country and so just get on with it and accept some of the cultural aspects, instead of expecting a wholesale transfer of western ideals to Thailand. We have to bend to suit Thailand, not the other way round. If Thais choose to disrespect their own culture by drinking (on days like today) that shouldn't be our cue to copy and do the same.

Clearly by allowing hotels to sell alcohol to guest, Thailand has shown a degree of flexibility and understanding towards its visiting guests. As residents we should know better as we pride ourselves on integrating with the locals, don't we?

clap2.gifclap2.gif

Evey three months whenever a buddist holiday comes around do we have the same repetitive arguments about why non buddist aren't allowed to purchase alcohol. Jeez if you're life revolves around alcohol so much I suggest you need help, give your liver a break and have a couple of days off. We all chose to live in a different country and so just get on with it and accept some of the cultural aspects, instead of expecting a wholesale transfer of western ideals to Thailand. We have to bend to suit Thailand, not the other way round. If Thais choose to disrespect their own culture by drinking (on days like today) that shouldn't be our cue to copy and do the same.

Clearly by allowing hotels to sell alcohol to guest, Thailand has shown a degree of flexibility and understanding towards its visiting guests. As residents we should know better as we pride ourselves on integrating with the locals, don't we?

clap2.gifclap2.gif

i will intergrate tonight with the locals in my village and go and share a bottle's of whisky and some cokes. whats the tourist to do who make up the majority of foriegners here,there not here to intigrate. think outside the box its not about expats.

I don't know what everyone is so worried about. Just pop down to one of your larger temples. Temples in Chiangmai are still selling Chang Beer I just grabbed 1/2 dozen and brought home. The larger temples are selling at least.

Personally I don't get people getting worked up about this and it certainly is not he business of foreigners to get involved with laws such as this. The laws have been around a long time and it just seems strange to get worked up about them especially since they should have been known to anyone coming here. If they came here without knowing then they only need to look in the mirror for blame if this creates such turmoil in their life. It is like moving to a country that has a complete ban on alcohol and then getting worked up when you are there because they have this law.

Must be a big hit on the bars and clubs....feel bad for them and all the workers. Personally, if I want a beer or even to get a bottle of Johnny Red I know of about 10 mom and pop places a 5-10 minute drive around my house that will sell to me. 3 of those are within 500 meters of schools, and sell any time day or not. So no big deal. Just because Foodland and Tesco aren't allowed to sell booze, it doesn't stop smaller places from getting out the black plastic bags :)

The number of times these bars are closed is equal to or possibly less than most companies are closed in the US for holidays. I'm sure the staff are happy to have some time off to be with family and the owners are well aware of holidays and that they are not going to be open 365 days a year. Having these holidays also helps them with having to find coverage for staff taking days off that are guaranteed by law, when these holidays count towards days off. However, this past month they have taken a hit with the holidays falling on the week-end as well as there being two week-ends of elections. Then again, I bet they see a significant increase in sales the days before and after the holidays.

I am not a Buddhist, do I have to obey Buddhist laws and rules? What about freedom of religion?

It is not a Buddhist law, it is a Thai law. I'm sure you are not Thai either but it would be very disrespectful for you to not remove your shoes when going into a home here but I guess you can tell them since you are not Thai that it is okay for you to pick and chose what rules and customs you will follow regardless of being insulting to others. Although Thailand is approx. 95% Buddhist, you do have freedom of religion. The US also has freedom of religion but numerous places are closed on Christian holidays including public schools and most bars and businesses.

Given that the law doesn't apply to Hotels it would seem Thailand has already considered tourists more than enough.

Nisa, Who really gets worked up about this, heavy drinkers?? only something to discuss talkabout whatever, I for one don't give a dam_n about the 2 days-it's the tourists AND the double standards=flouting of the law=the law is conected to the Ideals of budism as one of the top 5 (commandments here is alcohol)a no no ==my point is if the religion says it's bad why not ban it for all time not on monk days or voting. So its free style for 360 days of the year? Abide by the law we can It's the BUT"S that we post about in general, so relax and take into account it's the heavy drinkers that get worked up about it only.

Well I am pissed off. I like a few beers with friends on a Friday evening or any other evening I fancy. What's wrong with that? Good conversation, maybe some live music, and on to a good restaurant for dinner.

And no, I'm not going to buy a bottle to sup at home. It's about social life, not anaesthetic.(Incidently the next person the next person that uses that crap American cliche "mom & pop store" should be barred)

I do not appreciate being dictated to because of some archaic religious or quasi religious belief. All countries should be strictly secular with the religious fanatics kept in their box.

I am an aetheist and I am sure you are too. You don't believe in the Norse gods do you? How about the Greek gods? Roman? No? Well I just believe in one less god than you.

It's all about control....the big boys floating around in the saffron need appeasement!:jap:

yes and they seek in i would say in hundreds down walking street and soi 7 and 8 in the mornings where all 5 main principals are broken. i cannot understand how they can ask working girls in bars for money just does not add up and makes me loose any respect i could possibly have for the religion. and many girls now show there contempt for them by simply turning there backs on them deliberatly, and who can blame them.

Five Precepts are:

Do not kill

Do not steal

Do not indulge in sexual misconduct

Do not make false speech

Do not take intoxicants

Each of these is based on doing good and living a pure life. Each person can have a different view on each of these including not to kill. Note it doesn't say not to kill people but in fact refers to all living things. Most Thais have no problem consuming pork or chicken as long as they are not doing the killing but clearly their consumption is responsible for killing these animals. While some may try to shoe out disease carrying insects or cockroaches from their home others see no issue with killing these creatures as do farmers who use pesticides to protect their crops. The same is true for sexual misconduct which is interpreted by many to mean an obsession with sex and/or sexual acts which harm others. In fact, for the their to be sexual misconduct there must be pleasure and despite how much a customer may want to believe differently, most working girl are only pleasured by the money they receive as is the case with many jobs.

You also have to understand that these are much different than commandments in the Christian religion. Just because someone drinks (takes an intoxicant), it by no means what-so-ever they are not a Buddhist. If it was common to live up to all of Buddha's teachings then few would not need to be reborn and the list of those to have ever have reached enlightenment would not be so small.

I am not a Buddhist, do I have to obey Buddhist laws and rules? What about freedom of religion?

It is not a Buddhist law, it is a Thai law. I'm sure you are not Thai either but it would be very disrespectful for you to not remove your shoes when going into a home here but I guess you can tell them since you are not Thai that it is okay for you to pick and chose what rules and customs you will follow regardless of being insulting to others. Although Thailand is approx. 95% Buddhist, you do have freedom of religion. The US also has freedom of religion but numerous places are closed on Christian holidays including public schools and most bars and businesses.

Given that the law doesn't apply to Hotels it would seem Thailand has already considered tourists more than enough.

Nisa, Who really gets worked up about this, heavy drinkers?? only something to discuss talkabout whatever, I for one don't give a dam_n about the 2 days-it's the tourists AND the double standards=flouting of the law=the law is conected to the Ideals of budism as one of the top 5 (commandments here is alcohol)a no no ==my point is if the religion says it's bad why not ban it for all time not on monk days or voting. So its free style for 360 days of the year? Abide by the law we can It's the BUT"S that we post about in general, so relax and take into account it's the heavy drinkers that get worked up about it only.

Well I am pissed off. I like a few beers with friends on a Friday evening or any other evening I fancy. What's wrong with that? Good conversation, maybe some live music, and on to a good restaurant for dinner.

And no, I'm not going to buy a bottle to sup at home. It's about social life, not anaesthetic.(Incidently the next person the next person that uses that crap American cliche "mom & pop store" should be barred)

I do not appreciate being dictated to because of some archaic religious or quasi religious belief. All countries should be strictly secular with the religious fanatics kept in their box.

I am an aetheist and I am sure you are too. You don't believe in the Norse gods do you? How about the Greek gods? Roman? No? Well I just believe in one less god than you.

Numerous hotels have fine restaurants and bars. The ban doesn't effect hotels.

wooh there princess. I think you need a drink.:clap2: and what should we refer to the mum & pop store as. Can't call them the local because that means the pub.:burp:

wooh there princess. I think you need a drink.:clap2: and what should we refer to the mum & pop store as. Can't call them the local because that means the pub.:burp:

Good idea!

Fancy a game of cribbage?

I'll see if the paki shop's open

Goodness me, sounds like you need a drink! :D

"Mom and Pop Store" is a perfect term. It means a private store not linked to a chain, where mom and pop sit doing their trade. Would you prefer calling it the "local small shop not affiliated with any name brand franchise store"? Please enlighten me....

Also, why is having a drink at home with dinner or just relaxing watching a movie or listening to music considered an 'anesthetic' but when done in a blaring club a means of being sociable? Can you not be sociable without alcohol in you? :blink: I'm a good cook with a beautiful kitchen and love making meals for myself, my family and my friends. Having some steaks on the BBQ, some beers in the fridge, wine on the counter, and a little cognac in the cupboard is not a sin!

Anyway, I'm sure that your friend Mali down at Cowboy probably looks much better after the beer goggles are on. I suppose it also makes the situation seem more socially acceptable? :D

If you feel depressed because of those 2 days ban, just find a country where alcohol is not prohibited at all...By the way you just comply with some other traditions don't you? You not work on sunday, do you? you enjoy christmas right? which is based on an archaic payan religion, you enjoy new years eve don't you? based on archaic religion. You use calendar based on the birth of the christ...why don t you trash this and use your own calendar?....

Because most of the countries still have deep roots and tradition based on religion, you comply with them and do not even question about them..

Thailand is a buddhist country, most of the thais are buddhist, so if you live in thailand you have to agree with their rules, happy or not..

By the way buddhism is far better than most of the religions for one main reason in my opinion : much less proselitism...

Five Precepts are:

Do not kill

Do not steal

Do not make false speech

Do not take intoxicants

Goody.

Can we have some weekends were everyone only eats grass, keeps their hands in their pockets, keep their naughty bits inside their pants, keep their mouths shut at all times and only drink water.

clap2.gifclap2.gif

i will intergrate tonight with the locals in my village and go and share a bottle's of whisky and some cokes. whats the tourist to do who make up the majority of foriegners here,there not here to intigrate. think outside the box its not about expats.

Nalak - As most hotels serve alcohol to their guests during this period anyway, whilst there will be some tourists (probably single white males[if we believe the stereotype]) that will be aggrieved that they can't drink while watching semi naked women gyrate for their viewing entertainment, most tourists (families, couples etc) probably won't be too put out and if the desire to drink is so utterly overwhelming that it must be satisfied then they can stay at their resort / hotel of choice and have a drink or get drunk. We are after all only talking about a couple of days not weeks or months.

Goodness me, sounds like you need a drink! :D

"Mom and Pop Store" is a perfect term. It means a private store not linked to a chain, where mom and pop sit doing their trade. Would you prefer calling it the "local small shop not affiliated with any name brand franchise store"? Please enlighten me....

Also, why is having a drink at home with dinner or just relaxing watching a movie or listening to music considered an 'anesthetic' but when done in a blaring club a means of being sociable? Can you not be sociable without alcohol in you? :blink: I'm a good cook with a beautiful kitchen and love making meals for myself, my family and my friends. Having some steaks on the BBQ, some beers in the fridge, wine on the counter, and a little cognac in the cupboard is not a sin!

Anyway, I'm sure that your friend Mali down at Cowboy probably looks much better after the beer goggles are on. I suppose it also makes the situation seem more socially acceptable? :D

Local shop will do just fine thanks.

Alcohol has been an essential social lubricator for thousands of years. Please don't moralise me on its consumption.

What's sin got to do with the price of cheese anyway?

De gustibus non est disputandum as my Latin teacher used to say (One cannot argue the taste of others)

Actually, my own tastes are rather eclectic. I would certainly enjoy one of your steaks from your fine kitchen with a decent claret, of course. However, I would be entirely happy watching electric blues in The Five Star bar. However, a few beers with convivial company in a real pub takes some beating!

What's this about Mali and beer goggles. Your comment was quite well made but then you go and spoil it. Which bar on Cowboy do you recommend. You seem to be a bit of an expert......

Buddhism is the state religion. Countries with state religions may or may not be tolerant of other religions...

Sorry, but Buddhism is NOT the state religion. Technically. In fact, there was a big controversy about 6 years ago with high-ranking Buddhist abbots supporting an attempt to amend the constitution to make Buddhism the official state religion of Thailand. The initiative failed.

All that said, the "unofficial," de facto support of Buddhism by the government is pervasive. You guys think your religious freedoms are violated by not being able to buy booze. That's laughable. How about we non-Buddhist teachers who have to sit through hours of Buddhist ceremonies and endless chanting by monks in a half-dozen yearly Buddhist ceremonies in the nation's public schools? Stop yer whinin' !! Dorothy, you're not in Kansas any more. Get used to it.. rolleyes.gif

What's this about Mali and beer goggles. Your comment was quite well made but then you go and spoil it. Which bar on Cowboy do you recommend. You seem to be a bit of an expert......

Hee hee, sorry, a joke gone wrong....I'm definitely not someone who goes to any of those places. Hanging out at places where sex is for sale depresses me for some reason, though morally I could care less what (two consenting) people do. However, have to agree with you about how a good pub and nice thick stouts can't be beat.

Edited by tominbkk

It is good staff at bars get some time to visit family. This holiday is also a very big one for many Thais particulalry in rural areas so it is good if those forced to work in urban sprawls have a chance to go home

If anyone cant do without booze for two days, they should probably seek advice for their problems, but it was posible to buy in advance or to even get from a small shop if they know you. Always nice to see people have a holiday. A lot of them only get a few days off a month or for economic reasons are forced to work O/T on those days

If you feel depressed because of those 2 days ban, just find a country where alcohol is not prohibited at all...By the way you just comply with some other traditions don't you? You not work on sunday, do you? you enjoy christmas right? which is based on an archaic payan religion, you enjoy new years eve don't you? based on archaic religion. You use calendar based on the birth of the christ...why don t you trash this and use your own calendar?....

Because most of the countries still have deep roots and tradition based on religion, you comply with them and do not even question about them..

Thailand is a buddhist country, most of the thais are buddhist, so if you live in thailand you have to agree with their rules, happy or not..

By the way buddhism is far better than most of the religions for one main reason in my opinion : much less proselitism...

Not depressed, aggravated.

Yes I work on Sunday if needed. It's my company.

Christmas, yuletide actually, was hijacked by christians. Yes I enjoy it. Mainly because of the family festivities and the feasting and not at all about some ridiculous tale of a virgin birth.

I celebrate Hogmanee, Thai new year and Chinese new year. There should be more.

I don't agree with laws based on religious hocus pocus.

Good point about proselytising. God (sic) preserve us from missionaries be they the American Christian taleban or the local maddrassas!

The point is not how good or how bad a religion (or a philosophy or whatever you want to call it) is, the point is that my personal freedom is violated because of the religious beliefs of others. If those who follow Buddhism, don't want to drink this week-end or any other day, that's fine, I don't force anyone to drink.

Of course, they made a "law" of this (although I would have to verify that) and it is the law of the nation. And that's precisely the point. The state imposes the religious beliefs and feeling of some (even perhaps a majority) on ALL. That's exactly what is defined as violation of religious freedom.

Just because I choose to live here, doesn't mean that I have to find everything here to be perfect. It may be true that Buddhism is more tolerant that e.g. Islam, but that's besides the point.

Tolerance and in particular religious tolerance should go both ways: I tolerate their beliefs, but please also tolerate mine. In a democracy the majority must respect the minorities (and vice-versa).

The fact that so many drink in their homes or apparently in a posh hotel just shows how hypocritical this rule is.

Broken-Glass-House-250x147.jpg

Five Precepts are:

Do not kill

Do not steal

Do not make false speech

Do not take intoxicants

Anyone told the locals that possibly they are a trifle amiss regarding their ideas compared to their daily conduct ?

Let's see. Number one.Do not kill.

Perhaps applies to those fing guardians of the law involved in deaths of many Muslims at Tak Bai.

Number two. Do not steal.

Perhaps the creative accounting practices when is involved in doling out public funds. or the hi-jacking of another countrys religion !!

Number three Do not indulge in sexual misconduct

The culture of Mianoys needs to be removed from society

Number four. Do not make false speech.

Let's recall the recent statements by the newly elected law makers of the country, indeed interesting in its content and subsequent U turns

Number five. ..Do not take intoxicants.

Check out the Temple fairs.

Edited by siampolee

The point is not how good or how bad a religion (or a philosophy or whatever you want to call it) is, the point is that my personal freedom is violated because of the religious beliefs of others. If those who follow Buddhism, don't want to drink this week-end or any other day, that's fine, I don't force anyone to drink.

Of course, they made a "law" of this (although I would have to verify that) and it is the law of the nation. And that's precisely the point. The state imposes the religious beliefs and feeling of some (even perhaps a majority) on ALL. That's exactly what is defined as violation of religious freedom.

Just because I choose to live here, doesn't mean that I have to find everything here to be perfect. It may be true that Buddhism is more tolerant that e.g. Islam, but that's besides the point.

Tolerance and in particular religious tolerance should go both ways: I tolerate their beliefs, but please also tolerate mine. In a democracy the majority must respect the minorities (and vice-versa).

The fact that so many drink in their homes or apparently in a posh hotel just shows how hypocritical this rule is.

Eloquently put!

Buddhism is the state religion. Countries with state religions may or may not be tolerant of other religions...

Sorry, but Buddhism is NOT the state religion. Technically. In fact, there was a big controversy about 6 years ago with high-ranking Buddhist abbots supporting an attempt to amend the constitution to make Buddhism the official state religion of Thailand. The initiative failed.

All that said, the "unofficial," de facto support of Buddhism by the government is pervasive. You guys think your religious freedoms are violated by not being able to buy booze. That's laughable. How about we non-Buddhist teachers who have to sit through hours of Buddhist ceremonies and endless chanting by monks in a half-dozen yearly Buddhist ceremonies in the nation's public schools? Stop yer whinin' !! Dorothy, you're not in Kansas any more. Get used to it.. rolleyes.gif

The National recognized religion in Thailand is Buddhism. As you mention yourself, it is practiced in public (state paid) education. There is no decree anyone must be a Buddhist but don't fool yourself into believing it is not a state sponsored religion. In fact, I don't believe there is another country in the world were Buddhism is more prevalent among the people. There is actually the same or larger percentage of the population in Thailand that state their religion as Buddhist that there are Iranians who claim their state sponsored religion.

A State Sponsored Religion is simply means the official religion. Even in the UK the The Church of England is recognized as the official state religion. Even in the US, whose constitution strictly forbids an official religion, it is nearly impossible to grow up without having to recite pledges that invoke God as well as all currency stating, "In God We Trust" ... in other words, the US may not have an official religion but it is clear the God being spoke about is the Biblical God. So, the US is clearly discriminating against religions such as Buddhism, which doesn't recognize a God. And although Muslim's Allah is the same God as in the Bible, it is clear the vast Majority of Americans and their leaders, don't accept that and you will likely NEVER hear a political ending their speech with the words, Allah Bless America.

Edited by Nisa

Would you kindly inform Banyan Tree Hotel that they can let me have some wine with my dinner- they have a different opinion to you. Those idiots think that the law effects hotels too!

Would you kindly inform Banyan Tree Hotel that they can let me have some wine with my dinner- they have a different opinion to you. Those idiots think that the law effects hotels too!

Banyan Tree has every right to observe this holiday and not serve alcohol. Just because the law doesn't apply to them doesn't mean they have to against what they feel is right for them or their staff.

Sounds to me more like a bunch of alcoholics bitching because that they can't get a drink! Denial! Denial!...Rationalize make excuses...Oh it gets so old! :annoyed:

If you can't go one or two days without, you have a problem. You can have all the problems you want. That's you choice. But don't make them ours.

Been there, done that....ain't going back.:D

What about eating meat? Shouldn't they at least follow their Chinese cousins in this regard during the Vegetarian Festival?

PS The not wearing shoes in the house thing is not Buddhist, it's custom' And I get really pissed off if someone attempts to walk into my home from some muddy/sandy soi without first removing their footware. It's simply good manners.