Is Bromocriptine Available In Los?

MisterMan

I am in the US now and just want to be able to let my dr here know what he can prescribe to me that I can get in Thailand.

Is Bromocriptine available? I have read here that the alternative is Cabergoline.

Will either one cause me to gain weight?

Or better yet lose weight?

I am mildly active.

As I will have a valid prescription I see no problem in getting them at the major hospitals.

Thank you

Edited by MisterMan

Bromocriptine is readily available in Thailand OTC under many brand names. Carbegolin not.

Bromo will not cause weight gain and will also not directly cause weight loss but some people experience nausea from it which may indirectly cause weight loss. it has a bunch of other side effects to, google it and/or ask your doctor. Sometimes additional medications have to be given to manage the side effects.

Sounds like they have confirmed a prolactin-secreting pituitary tumor in which case, even with possible side effects, this is may still be better than the alternative.

Bromocriptine is readily available in Thailand OTC under many brand names. Carbegolin not.

Bromo will not cause weight gain and will also not directly cause weight loss but some people experience nausea from it which may indirectly cause weight loss. it has a bunch of other side effects to, google it and/or ask your doctor. Sometimes additional medications have to be given to manage the side effects.

Hi do you know approx the price? I got one quote at Bangkok Phuket Hospital for 86 baht a pill. Yikes.

A months prescription here is about $40.

Does Boots carry?

Thank you again Sheryl for all your help.

It does appear that the only brandsa available in Thailand are all imports so it will be costly but certainly less at an outside than pharmacy than from a private hospital pharmacy. Maybe by as much as half.

if you will be on it long term the most economical thing would be to purchase in bulk directly from the pharmaceutrical company or distyributor, that gets you wholesale price. These are:

(brand names Bromergon by Sandoz and Paroldel by Novartis)

Zuellig Pharma Ltd

8-9 Fl, Ploenchit Center

2 Sukhumvit Rd

Kwaeng Klongtoey

Khet Klongtoey

Bangkok 10110

Tel: 0 2656 9800

Fax: 0 2656 9801

Email: [email protected]

(brand name Suplac by Biolab)

Biopharm Chemicals Co Ltd

7 Fl, Bio House

55 Sukhumvit 39

Bangkok 10110

Tel: 0 2259 0990-7, 0 2260 0710-25

Fax: 0 2259 0998

If you dio buy in bulk take care that the expiration dates are far enough ahead and also to keep stored in a cool place. Anywhere with a/c is fine, otherwise in the refrigerator but not too cold either, so say the vegetable bin section.

It does appear that the only brandsa available in Thailand are all imports so it will be costly but certainly less at an outside than pharmacy than from a private hospital pharmacy. Maybe by as much as half.

if you will be on it long term the most economical thing would be to purchase in bulk directly from the pharmaceutrical company or distyributor, that gets you wholesale price. These are:

(brand names Bromergon by Sandoz and Paroldel by Novartis)

Zuellig Pharma Ltd

8-9 Fl, Ploenchit Center

2 Sukhumvit Rd

Kwaeng Klongtoey

Khet Klongtoey

Bangkok 10110

Tel: 0 2656 9800

Fax: 0 2656 9801

(brand name Suplac by Biolab)

Biopharm Chemicals Co Ltd

7 Fl, Bio House

55 Sukhumvit 39

Bangkok 10110

Tel: 0 2259 0990-7, 0 2260 0710-25

Fax: 0 2259 0998

If you do buy in bulk take care that the expiration dates are far enough ahead and also to keep stored in a cool place. Anywhere with a/c is fine, otherwise in the refrigerator but not too cold either, so say the vegetable bin section.