Red Lights On Buildings

paulbkk

just a quick and maybe random question...

when i look over bangkok at night most buildings have red flashing lights on the top of them. i just wondered if anyone knew the reason for this?? im sure its not for low flying aircraft cos there everywhere, its kinda pretty, but any other possible reason.

paul

You kind of guessed right, they are indeed for aircraft!!!

Obviously they're not for low flying boeings, nor even for the small cessna's and pipers.

There are however every so often helicopters flying around, most big hotels/hospitals even have a helipad on the roof.

The red lights are installed to help the chopper pilots avoid these obstacles.

Legally however they are just for "aircraft" in general...

You kind of guessed right, they are indeed for aircraft!!!

Obviously they're not for low flying boeings, nor even for the small cessna's and pipers.

There are however every so often helicopters flying around, most big hotels/hospitals even have a helipad on the roof.

The red lights are installed to help the chopper pilots avoid these obstacles.

Legally however they are just for "aircraft" in general...

They're placed there initially to warn the constructers when to stop building. Otherwise they would just keep adding floor after floor after floor.

They also do have aeronautical uses as already mentioned, they warn Thai pilots that landing a plane on top of a building is dangerous as cleaners often leave their mops and buckets lying around.

:o

Most of the red lights on the tops of buildings in Bangkok are cell sites or hand phnoe repeater sites for hand phone users.

This may be true, but the reason for the flashing red light is for collision avoidance of aircraft. The lights are always placed on the highest portion of a building, consequently if there is a tower on top of the building the light goes on top of the tower.

In addition, depending on the guy wire configuration, you might even see lights 1/2 way up the guy wires and at their base.

just a quick and maybe random question...

when i look over bangkok at night most buildings have red flashing lights on the top of them. i just wondered if anyone knew the reason for this?? im sure its not for low flying aircraft cos there everywhere, its kinda pretty, but any other possible reason.

paul

Haven't been to a lot of cities in the world have you. :o

Possibly illuminating the extent of the red light district? :o

In a similar vein, does a barber's pole with red light, ever signify anything beyond a haircut is offered within the premises? Used to see more of them 10, 15 years ago, but the twirling barbers poles are getting rarer and rarer sights and it is one question I never pursued inside to the answer. :D

They give night flying suicide pilots an ulmost unlimited choise of where to aim. During the day there are very few guides. The new Bayoke Tower is a first choice in the daytime as there are arrows on each side pointing where to hit!

Possibly illuminating the extent of the red light district?  :o

In a similar vein, does a barber's pole with red light, ever signify anything beyond a haircut is offered within the premises? Used to see more of them 10, 15 years ago, but the twirling barbers poles are getting rarer and rarer sights and it is one question I never pursued inside to the answer.  :D

I was told that in Malaysia any barber pole meant that extra services were offered there.

I got 5 haircuts in one day one time in Penang, but no one brought the subject up and I was too shy to ask directly. :D

Talking about those barberpoles: Never saw that anywhere else. Does someone out there know where that tradition comes from? Just curious...

Started back in Europe a long time ago.

Something to do with surgeons hanging blood soaked rags out to dry.

Then the red and white stripes became their symbol.

When hospitals were "invented" the symbol was dropped but retained by other knife weilding surgeons who only cut your beard and hair.

The red flashing lights are to warn aircraft of high rise buildings near-ish to the inbound and outbound approach paths.

as for the barber pole....

Red and white stripped poles date back to the Middle Ages when barber shop attendants pulled teeth and treated illnesses by bleeding clients, especially with leeches.

The red and white colors on the poles represented blood stained white bandages that were washed and hung out to dry.

The pole, itself, supposedly represented the staff which the patient clung to during the barber's treatments.

Originally, there was a cup at the bottom of the pole to hold the leeches.

It is believed that the blue was added as a third color by Americans to commemorate the colors of the flag.

yep for aircraft. Helicopter traffic mainly.

This must be quite expensive for the 1 or 2 helicopters that fly through Bangkok in any given month. Or do building owners have to foot the bill for these? That's quite a subsidy to the aviation community! Do they turn them off at night to conserve energy? All Season's Place/The Conrad must be especially concerned about stray pilots -- I think they've got about 50 of these on their towers.

Anyone with a barber pole fetish would do well to visit Hong Kong. Or Poland.

Edited by fxm88

I sit on my 18th floor balcony and watch the flashing red lights on the repeater stations BELOW me. The lights may be for navigation purposes, but I wonder why my 28 floor building has no light while several in my immediate area have them.

There are two towers near Bang Pakong just before reaching Chonburi, twenty some stories each, you can see them well from the expressway but they're only huge shadows at night . They' ve been abandoned for years. No lights on them or inside as well.

Does anyone know why they're vacant? Same goes for all the condos surrounding them...