The Only Way Is... Koh Samui? Sadly, Alex Garland'S The Beach Is Long Gone...

at the bottom of the article;

"Have you been to Koh Samui? Do you agree with Jessica about the Brits abroad culture? Or is it your Eden? Have your say here..."

If the article was meant to be a comment on Brits abroad, why didn't she title it so and leave out The Beach malarkay?

posted a comment but it hasn't been posted dry.gif

apparently:

"Comments are moderated, and will not appear on this weblog until the author has approved them"

I guess Jennifer did not approve my message

Edited by SamuiNige

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done Samuian.

Says it all mate.

Cheers.

Cannot say the same about your reply where you feel the need to repost all the pics again . That's OK, they are all in the OP.

Just boring to load one more time the OP pics.

Sorry, not as smart as you!

Well done Samuian.

Says it all mate.

Cheers.

Cannot say the same about your reply where you feel the need to repost all the pics again . That's OK, they are all in the OP.

Just boring to load one more time the OP pics.

bit harsh, i don't think nod intentionally felt the need to bore you having to view pictures twice...worth looking at again thoughthumbsup.gif

Edited by SamuiNige

I'm of the belief that its still possible to do the Alex Garland Beach trip in southern Thailand if that's what you want. Just need to be more creative and less lazy than most backpackers.....find out of the way places and enjoy!

Let us all know where you go and build railroads along the way cos I'm waaaay too lazy...cheers! smile.gif

The facts of the matter are if you want to do the fictional Alex Garland styly thing you need to be a backpacker with more money and a boat. The beautiful unspoilt islands are still out there but they are becoming less accessable.

Had only a bad day or 2 or just edgy?

I got many, many more.... sure there are bikes, sure there are roads, sure there are all these things like Subway's, McDonalds, Pizza Hut, Tesco, BiGC and the airport plus wi-fi Starbucks, A/C Taxis, large Hotels, Ice-Bar, and all that what you can find at home, but way more relaxter and laid back, if you didn't find it... well I have to say that I feel ... not really sorry..it all there cause WE inculding YOU came here - and I imagine you didn't come in a inflatable dinghy, neither did you swim...

Well done Samuian.

Says it all mate.

Cheers.

i did i ain't paying bangko airways it is dingy and swimming all the way.

funny thing about the beach is that in the film the island was situated on the phuket side yet they swam to Koh Phangyan to make some money long swim h aha :D

I read "The Beach" and saw the film. It was about getting away from the touristy Thailand and going to a secret, secluded beach. Neither of which describe Koh Samui let alone Chaweng.

From memory, and has been many years since I read the book, there are some chapters set on Ko Samui before they reach the marine park. They travel from the beach to Ko Phangnan for supplies, I think. It doesn't matter too much. A great book and the reason a lot of people travelled to the islands. I do tire of the way travellers pipe on about how Thai tourist areas become spoilt etc. I think many like Ko Phangnan and Samui have improved with better accomadation, power supplies, things like ATMs which we didn't have back in the day.

You want to get away from tourist Thailand go to Isaan or somewhere, see how you like it there..

Good advice. Isaan is very nice. Unspoilt very friendly people and very good value for money. No Brit pubs with thier awful food. We go there for our holidays instead

of Samui.

The facts of the matter are if you want to do the fictional Alex Garland styly thing you need to be a backpacker with more money and a boat. The beautiful unspoilt islands are still out there but they are becoming less accessable.

maybe we should organise an expedition into the still partly not yet explored Mergui Archipelago and call Jennifer later, sponsored by ??? Leonardo DiCaprio...ehm...SBK...some sponsors

The roving reporter Ms Macdonald clearly didn't do any research before she came here on her expense account. She obviously drove straight to the part of the island to see the story that she wanted to report about, and then, as afterthought went a couple of miles either side.

Presumably she was just telling her readers what they wanted to hear, just like Murdoch and sons.:whistling:

Nah - this is one of those students on a gap year who has found a way to make a bit of cash along the way . . . I reckon. She spotted a contentions angle, used 'The Beach' theme as a kicking-off point and cleverly managed to make enough money from this one article to pay for half the cost of her holiday.

Wish I had the same talent . . .

R

"Have you been to Koh Samui? Do you agree with Jessica about the Brits abroad culture? Or is it your Eden? Have your say here..."

If the article was meant to be a comment on Brits abroad, why didn't she title it so and leave out The Beach malarkay?

apparently:

"Comments are moderated, and will not appear on this weblog until the author has approved them"

You're a bit out there mate - this is The Daily Mail - a UK national newspaper - and not some minor blog!

R

apparently:

You're a bit out there mate - this is The Daily Mail - a UK national newspaper - and not some minor blog!

R

I'd have to agree about being out there, but i'm missing your point otherwise....

maybe we should organise an expedition into the still partly not yet explored Mergui Archipelago and call Jennifer later, sponsored by ??? Leonardo DiCaprio...ehm...SBK...some sponsors

Perhaps a tent would be more uselul than a sponsor or more money. A boat would save you a lot of time I agree.

That's why the film was mainly shot on Phi Phi looks better than Kpg or Samui

In defence to Samui and KPG it was shot on an uninhabited island.

Actually, it was shot on Phi Phi because it was the only place they could find that was similar to the description in the book, it would appear that the author never actually visited Angthong Marine National Park so he just made up the description of the place. That and Leo wanted a worthy 5 star hotel that could only be found on Phuket ;)

That's why the film was mainly shot on Phi Phi looks better than Kpg or Samui

In defence to Samui and KPG it was shot on an uninhabited island.

Actually, it was shot on Phi Phi because it was the only place they could find that was similar to the description in the book, it would appear that the author never actually visited Angthong Marine National Park so he just made up the description of the place. That and Leo wanted a worthy 5 star hotel that could only be found on Phuket ;)

It was shot on Maya Bay, which is in Phi Phi Bay. I was on Phi Phi when they shot the movie, completing my Divemaster course. Don't think they ever went to Phi Phi, never noticed or heard of any movie staff being on Phi Phi, although I may be wrong. they most certainly did not hoot anything on Phi Phi though.

you mean shot at Phi Phi Lee and you were on Phi Phi Don.

Although Samui and Kpg looks better, they choose that location because of the shape of the island and the beach in it.

The tom toms have it that many young people went there after watching the movie and were shocked when they realised, that many other young people went there after watching the movie as well

The tom toms have it that many young people went there after watching the movie and were shocked when they realised, that many other young people went there after watching the movie as well

Same phenomenon as when the backpackers with lonely planets in their hands gets surprised when they meet the same group of other backpackers in Pai that they partied with on full moon at KPG.

Edited by PoorSucker

"If you move further afield than Chaweng Beach it feels more like the real Koh Samui. You can wander Buddhist gardens, snorkel in underwater natural parks and buy local ingredients for Thai cookery classes at the markets. Just steer clear of the Elephant and Castle pub."

whats wrong with the Elephant and castle pub? just tell us to stay clear of it but doesn't say why. they do nice brkkrs in there

Indeed there is more than one Phi Phi island.

The fake Hadrin scene was shot in Krabi I believe. and Leo stayed at Cape Panwa Hotel

What a movie, true hollywood, nothing did fit the locations!

Yup, they even did a fake Khao San road. Guess the real one wasn't authentic enough?

I added this to the 'news' story, let see if it's approved by the DM moderators...

I'd be inclined to think that Jennifer McDonald has never even made the trip to Thailand let alone Koh Samui. 'Green Mango Square' where exactly is that then?

'Folk in England shirts litter the beach front bars,' spending sometime working at a beach front bar in Chaweng I saw more Aussie tops and maybe a few England tops during the World Cup.

Also, what is with the, 'Just steer clear of the Elephant and Castle pub.' comment all about? Have been there a few times in the past, maybe 10 trips in two years and can't really fault it!

I added this to the 'news' story, let see if it's approved by the DM moderators...

I'd be inclined to think that Jennifer McDonald has never even made the trip to Thailand let alone Koh Samui. 'Green Mango Square' where exactly is that then?

'Folk in England shirts litter the beach front bars,' spending sometime working at a beach front bar in Chaweng I saw more Aussie tops and maybe a few England tops during the World Cup.

Also, what is with the, 'Just steer clear of the Elephant and Castle pub.' comment all about? Have been there a few times in the past, maybe 10 trips in two years and can't really fault it!

yes i would if i could be bothered go to all those loactions and take photos i bet they would look better than the onces intended to through people off samui.

yes i would if i could be bothered go to all those loactions and take photos i bet they would look better than the onces intended to through people off samui.

What do you mean?? :crazy: