The Only Way Is... Koh Samui? Sadly, Alex Garland'S The Beach Is Long Gone...

you mean shot at Phi Phi Lee and you were on Phi Phi Don.

Although Samui and Kpg looks better, they choose that location because of the shape of the island and the beach in it.

The tom toms have it that many young people went there after watching the movie and were shocked when they realised, that many other young people went there after watching the movie as well

Correct, shot at Phi Phi Ley.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although Samui and Kpg looks better, they choose that location because of the shape of the island and the beach in it.

The tom toms have it that many young people went there after watching the movie and were shocked when they realised, that many other young people went there after watching the movie as well

Exactly so asi said, its very unfair to compare the beauty of an uninhabited island with Koh Samui.

Exactly so asi said, its very unfair to compare the beauty of an uninhabited island with Koh Samui.

As posted (#12) last week. Phi Phi Leh was "modified" by the film company when making "The Beach". They planted lots of mature trees which subsequently died and caused erosion. (I think that a lot of compensation was paid to shut up the environmentalists).

There are places around here still unspoilt but thankfully difficult to get to. However I don't think it is very likely that posters here would share that knowledge, knowing that it would bring about the destruction of the sites by the visiting hordes.

As posted (#12) last week. Phi Phi Leh was "modified" by the film company when making "The Beach". They planted lots of mature trees which subsequently died and caused erosion. (I think that a lot of compensation was paid to shut up the environmentalists).

There are places around here still unspoilt but thankfully difficult to get to. However I don't think it is very likely that posters here would share that knowledge, knowing that it would bring about the destruction of the sites by the visiting hordes.

I think YOU know something we don't and are not telling us.... B)

I recall reading about the terrible erosion on Maya Bay due to the fact that native vegetation was pulled up so that more tropical looking coconut trees could be planted. The vegetation was replanted but of course, its sand so it wouldn't take and nobody was there to tend it anyway. It all died and the beach suffered massive erosion. From what I understand, the tsunami is what replaced the sand.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Asia-Tsunami/Tsunami-repairs-what-Hollywood-ruined/2005/03/13/1110649061289.html

Excellent reply from Samuiian.... it is what you make of it no matter where you go, ain't it!!

Samui's a fine place to visit or reside. I live near Lipa Noi beach and daily enjoy a very uncrowded beach. Nearby Nathon offers quite genuine local Thai experience, not much tourist stuff there. But if I want that ain't far to go 'round the island to Lamai or Chaweng. I feel that Koh Samui IS the best of both worlds.

Had only a bad day or 2 or just edgy?

Chaweng beach recently..

c466d787.jpg

nothern Chaweng beach at sunset...

(more photos snipped for the sake of brevity)

I got many, many more.... sure there are bikes, sure there are roads, sure there are all these things like Subway's, McDonalds, Pizza Hut, Tesco, BiGC and the airport plus wi-fi Starbucks, A/C Taxis, large Hotels, Ice-Bar, and all that what you can find at home, but way more relaxter and laid back, if you didn't find it... well I have to say that I feel ... not really sorry..it all there cause WE inculding YOU came here - and I imagine you didn't come in a inflatable dinghy, neither did you swim...