3G Battle Set To Begin As Real Move And CAT Are Poised To Launch Service

webfact

I noticed today my phone showing 3G service in Rawai/Chalong areas of Phuket, I am with AIS and used 3G in Hua Hin previously. Made a speed test and its only 200 kbps, so not better than EDGE...:-) They can proclaim it 3-4-5G but it wont change the fact that the speeds are still dial up here..:) Will wait till the end of the month and make few more speed tests.

You will get the 3G speed starting July 28. Until then the network will be only in testing mode here in Phuket, that means that the regular users will get only the throttled speed even though they already see the 3G/HSDPA icon on their device, the speeds might still be faster than the old EDGE speeds, that's what a representative of AIS explained at a meeting in Chalong on Sunday.

Actually speed tests conducted during the meeting were quite impressive.

So you've set up an APN for AIS 3G/900 Mhz? And you have an AIS 3G data plan?

http://www.ais.co.th/mobileinternet/3G_package.html

The speedtest at the meeting was done on the galaxy tab belonging to the AIS employee, and his SIM card was set up to use the full 3G speed.

I'm sorry fellas but 4G is not really necessary. There is no network offering unlimited or speeds in 4G or near 4G speeds. Also, Thailand's International internet connections is not enough, so you can't feed faster than light 4G internet with these. If they can make 7.2 Mbit 3G working in densely populated areas, that is a success.

I'm also happy about it because until now CAT CDMA has been the fastest mobile connection available in my area, AIS 3G will be faster, so it's simply good news.