Pheu Thai Could Be Dissolved For Not Acting On Poll Vows

webfact

I find it odd, that all sorts of posts are made in TV about the need to go slow on the campaign platform and the Nation publishes story after story demanding that the PTP policies be abandoned. And yet, now, these same people are demanding the party platform be carried out fully.

Make up your minds.

What is so difficult to understand?

News sources, business agencies and some TV posters alike were stating that the PT policies were ill advised and many couldn't not be achieved without damaging the country's economy, but PT didn't relent before the vote, they carried on banging the drum.

And now the news sources, business agencies and some TV posters are saying......

"Go on then, put your money where your mouth is"

I fail to see a problem with that.

I do.

The money isn't theirs. It comes from the nation's treasury and is derived from tax revenues. A government has an obligation to modify economic policies in the event that there is a need to do so. The Democrat platform shared many of the same policies as the PTP. If there is room for improvement, then there should be allowances made. You assume that the voters were voting solely for some of the policies. I offer that the population was voting to be rid of the Democrats and their decisive style of governing.The PTP was elected because people wanted a change, a national reconciliation. They wanted peace. If the PTP cannot deliver on reconciliation and provide hope, the PTP will be tossed out next election.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shame....especially with today's political and social challenges it won't help the country go forward. I guess both sides will use the courts to gain an advantage, undermine the opposition, gain brownie points. What gets me is the lack of foresight from the party leadership. Both parties probably had their faults during the election, but this is just getting too petty.

Has modern Thai politics, or should I say modern Thai election results, always been dominated by legal challenges? Or is this just a recent phenomenon?

seems to be the norm over over here, and it's getting worse.

The Democrats are doing nothing else than what PTP and its predecessor parties have done in the past: slinging as much mud as they can to impede and disrupt the working of the government in order to manoeuvre themselves into a better position.

If PTP and - in a broader scope - their Redshirt allies would have been less disruptive, the Democrat-led government might perhaps have had more time to implement mechanisms and policies that would have benefitted the Thai nation as a whole instead of having to deploy resources to contain situations.

Now the power has shifted to PTP and its coalition partners, and since the Democrats in the end are not any better than their adversaries, what do you expect? They will continue to vigorously exploit any little crack and loophole - however wrongly perceived and ridiculous it may be - to disrupt the PTP-led government. The circus is going to continue even after the government has been established.

It's a never-ending cycle and regardless who is in power and who occupies the opposition benches. The political-ideological rift is just too wide and - perhaps more importantly - political parties are not established to work for the people and the nation, but a handful of self-serving leaders. You do not join a party because you like its (hardly ever existing) clear policy platform, but because you have some obligation towards one or another of its leaders and because in return you will receive considerable financial/materialistic rewards. That is the downfall of the all-dominant feudalistic patronage system as prevalent in Thailand's political landscape.

The much-touted "reconciliation" is a matter of give and take, an issue of both sides accepting compromises and making concessions. Of course, neither side is willing nor capable of making such concessions or accepting such compromises.

The best way to true reconciliation may be indeed a national government comprising all political parties, although that is of course not going to happen under those prevailing mud-slinging attitudes.

Pheu Thai Shrugs off Democrat's Call for Dissolution

The Pheu Thai Party says that it is not concerned about the Democrat Party's plan to ask the National Election Commission to dissolve the party for failing to implement its campaign promises.

At the same time, it expects 95 percent of the newly elected MPs to be endorsed by the poll panel tomorrow.

Deputy Leader of Pheu Thai Party Plodprasop Suraswadi has said that his party is not concerned by the Democrat Party's plan to ask the National Election Commission to dissolve the party for failing to carry out its campaign promises.

He believes that the Democrat Party is just performing its duty as the Opposition by preparing to demand a censure debate on the issue.

When asked about Yingluck Shinawatra, the party's number one MP candidate tipped to be the next premier, who has yet be endorsed by the poll panel, Plodprasop said this is just a delay tactic and that in the end, the election commission will realize that 20 million voters want Yingluck to be the next prime minister.

In any case, he expects the election result for 95 percent of the newly elected lawmakers to be endorsed tomorrow.

The Pheu Thai Party deputy leader has also said that the matter of the Cabinet appointments will be announced only by Yingluck and no one else.

He added that the issue will be clarified once Yingluck's MP status has been endorsed.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-07-18

footer_n.gif

:thumbsup: Spot on

The Democrats are doing nothing else than what PTP and its predecessor parties have done in the past: slinging as much mud as they can to impede and disrupt the working of the government in order to manoeuvre themselves into a better position.

If PTP and - in a broader scope - their Redshirt allies would have been less disruptive, the Democrat-led government might perhaps have had more time to implement mechanisms and policies that would have benefitted the Thai nation as a whole instead of having to deploy resources to contain situations.

Now the power has shifted to PTP and its coalition partners, and since the Democrats in the end are not any better than their adversaries, what do you expect? They will continue to vigorously exploit any little crack and loophole - however wrongly perceived and ridiculous it may be - to disrupt the PTP-led government. The circus is going to continue even after the government has been established.

It's a never-ending cycle and regardless who is in power and who occupies the opposition benches. The political-ideological rift is just too wide and - perhaps more importantly - political parties are not established to work for the people and the nation, but a handful of self-serving leaders. You do not join a party because you like its (hardly ever existing) clear policy platform, but because you have some obligation towards one or another of its leaders and because in return you will receive considerable financial/materialistic rewards. That is the downfall of the all-dominant feudalistic patronage system as prevalent in Thailand's political landscape.

The much-touted "reconciliation" is a matter of give and take, an issue of both sides accepting compromises and making concessions. Of course, neither side is willing nor capable of making such concessions or accepting such compromises.

The best way to true reconciliation may be indeed a national government comprising all political parties, although that is of course not going to happen under those prevailing mud-slinging attitudes.

I do.

The money isn't theirs. It comes from the nation's treasury and is derived from tax revenues. A government has an obligation to modify economic policies in the event that there is a need to do so. The Democrat platform shared many of the same policies as the PTP. If there is room for improvement, then there should be allowances made. You assume that the voters were voting solely for some of the policies. I offer that the population was voting to be rid of the Democrats and their decisive style of governing.The PTP was elected because people wanted a change, a national reconciliation. They wanted peace. If the PTP cannot deliver on reconciliation and provide hope, the PTP will be tossed out next election.

It isn't? I am fairly sure that I pay more taxes annually in Thailand than 90+% of the population. (I also pay taxes abroad.) PTP made promises to the people and in less than a week reneged on them in some cases. Part of why PTP was elected was to fulfill the promises they made (I would say the majority of the reason was that simple .. you said you would pay us more and now ....) If I remember right the majority of the country didn't think changing governments would lead to lasting change.

Offering unreasonable populist policies and then backtracking before even taking office certainly smacks of deceit to me ......

+1 :thumbsup:

Well, at least we don't have this yet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xCn3ZYTU0Y&feature=related

Ludicrous. The Democrats seem to be intent on turning their party into a bigger joke than it already is. Look around the world. Loads of parties renege on everything they promise. And then it is the voters who can reject them later if they want to. The Democrats seem to be obsessed with using courts for everything. I know they are virtually unelectable but trying to take away the right of the people to judge whether a government fulfills its pledges is really insane. The adults in the party really need to take control

Your party,(it sounds like) are unbelievably clean and transparent -and its leader to be and it's ex leader.

Give us a break, clamp it. talk about faults on both sides and weigh them up, and then come to an honest conclusion.

I dont have a stake in this game and if you care to look through my posting history over the years, you will find few as critical of Thaksin, his various parties and the red movement as I have been. So I think I reach the criteria of even handedness for which you call in judging amazing behaviour of the countries oldest party and this really is quite amazing

Historically Hammered is equally hard on all players showing faults.

In many ways this is a fair call.

The Dems campaigned saying they would do things the COULD DO.

While PTP mostly gave outlandish things they CAN'T POSSIBLY DO,

as their back tracking now shows.

False advertising brought to a new level even by Thailand political standards.

And yes the Dems aren't doing anything PTP PPP and TRT didn't do for years to them.

Often with spurious ginned up and soon to be throw in the dogpile 'evidence'.

why cant they just accept the reuslt and let the goverment get on with running things, not matter who wins. these idiots just make things more unstable, disolve parliament another vote another win for reds in the mean while foriegn invest keeps going elswhere.

so far the new british goverment have broken 2 election pledges, in my book a pledge is a pledge but not in the murky world of polotics.

why cant they just accept the reuslt and let the goverment get on with running things, not matter who wins. these idiots just make things more unstable, disolve parliament another vote another win for reds in the mean while foriegn invest keeps going elswhere.

so far the new british goverment have broken 2 election pledges, in my book a pledge is a pledge but not in the murky world of polotics.

Ah the Britih "gov't", how long before that little Gem of a marriage becomes defunct.......?

If the PTP cannot deliver on reconciliation and provide hope, the PTP will be tossed out next election.

I wish you were right about this, but I can't see it.

Electorally, it is now clear that what Isaan decides, Thailand does (PTP beat Democrats 102 to 4 there). I don't see those people changing their minds any time soon.

Has modern Thai politics, or should I say modern Thai election results, always been dominated by legal challenges? Or is this just a recent phenomenon?

It is certainly a more recent phenomenon. I think you will find that in the entire history of Thai politics, the biggest challenge for governments is normally blokes in camouflage.

Another brilliant represesentative of the Democrat party speaks.

And there are still foreigners that insist the Democrats should have been elected. :cheesy: :cheesy:

Yes, re-elect the liers and not those that call out the liers. :rolleyes:

And there are still foreigners that insist the Democrats should have been elected. :cheesy: :cheesy:

Any party would have been better than the PTP run by Mr Thaksin. Lets just wait to see how he walks all over the Thai electorate in this coming year. Yingluck will never get her voice heard above her sponsor.

Is a clear and valid mandate based on a pack of lies a clear and valid mandate?

A couple of bad apples doesn't mean that they are rotten to the core.

In the case of PTP /UDD it does 100% Rotten to the core

Yes.

Yes.

Thaksin's populist policies will cripple Thailand and his dear younger sister will be to blame. That is if indeed they come up with the goods that they promised. Economic suicide.

I can live with that. Blissfully people like different parties. What's more serious is hinting at Yet Another Way a democratically elected government can be thrown out by the judiciary; they sure got creative all the way from being on a cooking TV show up! ;)

Isn't it about time to change the party name from 'Democrat' party to something else? Talk about misleading the public! :rolleyes:

I do have to say that, although I no fan of PT, this is one of the silliest complaints that I've ever heard.

I'm sure that everyone realized that these promises were just hot air.

The rural Thai's would not have.

And the failure of Phua Thai to live up to the election promises they made could render them very vulnerable indeed. However there are far better and legitimate ways of exploiting this vulnerability than going trying to have them dissolved through the courts.

Democrats really do need to wise up, otherwise this will be yet another opportunity gone wayside.

Very well said.. :lol: Abhisit and party are desperate lousy losers...they will do anything by hook or by crook to be the government...

you would not be suprised if they demand the recount of all votes to delay the forming of the neww government.. :bah:

Edited by chuang

I do have to say that, although I no fan of PT, this is one of the silliest complaints that I've ever heard.

I'm sure that everyone realized that these promises were just hot air.

The rural Thai's would not have.

And the failure of Phua Thai to live up to the election promises they made could render them very vulnerable indeed. However there are far better and legitimate ways of exploiting this vulnerability than going trying to have them dissolved through the courts.

Democrats really do need to wise up, otherwise this will be yet another opportunity gone wayside.

One of the biggest disappointments of Thai politics is that since TRT came on the scene and rewrote the whole political game a decade ago, their main opponents have failed to work out how to play it. The Democrats are still mired in games of the establishment and the old ways instead of liberating themselves from these albatrosses and becoming a viable alternative. I fear they havent even learned yet judging by their post election antics and the bizarre old style party executive selection. I sometimes wonder if Thai democracy would have been better served if they had their butts dissolved in those cases they survived by technicalities. Sometimes it is easy to blame Thaksin and TRT/PPP/PTP for everything and overlook the horrible and sometimes obvious errors their opponents have made that have let the Thaksin side have the electoral floor almost unchallenged and that looks true for a time to come. The game now is a freer version of democracy rather than a managed democracy and the people have moved on. When will the democrats?