Dual Enterance Tickets

dwanjar1

Has anyone here ever gotten into the Grand Palace for free with a Thai DL?

I tried once, was flat out refused. Anger and extreme displeasure on both sides ensued. Now I don't even attempt it. I sit outside and let everyone else go in. Did I just hit it on a bad day or is this everyone else's experience as well?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried once, was flat out refused. Anger and extreme displeasure on both sides ensued. Now I don't even attempt it. I sit outside and let everyone else go in. Did I just hit it on a bad day or is this everyone else's experience as well?

My experience as well.

Actually got in free with Thai DL a long time ago.

One poster comments that Thais would pay a higher price in America for visiting something, this is not the case in the UK, I just came back from London and my Thai wife would have had to pay the same price as me for getting into attractions, but luckily enough we got in for free as she works for the company that owns them.

In my local area (Somerset) we both payed the normal price, so hidden prices.

Siam Ocean World is not a scam as some other poster mentions, I know most of the staff there and it is a fact that if you prove you are Thai or you are an Expat you get the local price. If you go to Madame Tussauds you can use a Thai Credit card as proof of being an Expat and get the local price, just take the cards you think you will need with you.

My experience as well.

Why don't you try reporting the GP to some consumer protection office or similar seeing as it is as you mentioned earlier, against the law. Please report back with your findings. Lol ;)

One poster comments that Thais would pay a higher price in America for visiting something, this is not the case in the UK, I just came back from London and my Thai wife would have had to pay the same price as me for getting into attractions, but luckily enough we got in for free as she works for the company that owns them.

Siam Ocean World is not a scam as some other poster mentions, I know most of the staff there and it is a fact that if you prove you are Thai or you are an Expat you get the local price. If you go to Madame Tussauds you can use a Thai Credit card as proof of being an Expat and get the local price, just take the cards you think you will need with you.

It looks like you are talking about a privately owned attraction in the UK; not a government funded attraction. (Your wife works for the company that owns them.) So, I wouldn't expect a Thai to have to pay more there. You're comparing apples to oranges. Your example doesn't support your statement that "This is not the case in the UK". Perhaps your statement is true but the example given has nothing to do with it.

It looks like you are talking about a privately owned attraction in the UK; not a government funded attraction. (Your wife works for the company that owns them.) So, I wouldn't expect a Thai to have to pay more there. You're comparing apples to oranges. Your example doesn't support your statement that "This is not the case in the UK". Perhaps your statement is true but the example given has nothing to do with it.

Siam Ocean World is a privatly owned attraction, same as Siam Park, Madame Tussauds and Safari park which have all been mentioned here before. HMS Belfast in London asks for entrance fees the same price for Thai and Londoner, this is owned by the Imperial War Museum. Also most Museums in London offer free entrance.

<deleted> - hasn't this topic been done to death on this forum?

dual-charging, double-charging, racism of double-charging and so on, already numerous other threads running with the same complaints, and likely the same answers from the same members.

My experience as well.

Why don't you try reporting the GP to some consumer protection office or similar seeing as it is as you mentioned earlier, against the law. Please report back with your findings. Lol ;)

There is a case against the Thai Government regarding the entry fees for foreigners to national parks with the Thai Human Rights Commission. I believe the ruling was that the Thai gvernment is allowed to charge more to foreigners as the parks belong to the Thai people, but the price difference must be reasonable. It is up to the Thai government to act up on it.

Seems for now one has a better change to change things with starting to go after private enterprises.

Siam Ocean World is a privatly owned attraction, same as Siam Park, Madame Tussauds and Safari park which have all been mentioned here before. HMS Belfast in London asks for entrance fees the same price for Thai and Londoner, this is owned by the Imperial War Museum. Also most Museums in London offer free entrance.

Okay. In that case, those privately owned Thai places just need to be avoided and plenty of warnings about them need to be posted on the travel forums.

Man, there is plenty to see in Thailand without supporting crooks.

As for the places in the UK, good on them, though probably not fair to the taxpayers. In effect, they are being charged twice, while the outsiders are enjoying a discount.

My experience as well.

There is a case against the Thai Government regarding the entry fees for foreigners to national parks with the Thai Human Rights Commission. I believe the ruling was that the Thai gvernment is allowed to charge more to foreigners as the parks belong to the Thai people, but the price difference must be reasonable. It is up to the Thai government to act up on it.

Seems for now one has a better change to change things with starting to go after private enterprises.

Yeah, it would make sense to enforce a strict ruling against the private operators. Easy to put the hurt on them if the government wanted to really accomplish that. I have doubts it would change in the future, though.

Better to just attend sites that do things properly. I can't understand the guy who waits outside while his family spends the day inside the place. My family wouldn't bother with going in if I decided to not go in because of over pricing. They would just decide to go somewhere that treats us fairly. I can just see me trying to convince them that I would stay outside while they go in. That would be a comedy.

Edited by kandahar

Talk of boycotts? Lawsuits? I do not see why this keeps coming up with emotions bordering on rage. In my personal experience:

· Growing up in the USA, where even a hint of discrimination would result in a million dollar lawsuit, I always paid the "in-state" rate for state parks camping sites, fishing licences, hunting licences, hunting tags, etc. In some cases, the out of state rates were 3 times (or more) the "in-state" rate, especially for camping and hunting, but even for simple admittance to a park........after all, what seems like a big amount to a local is not much to someone who is a "tourist" paying for a vacation away from home. Furthermore, it was all subsidized by my (and my parent's) taxes. Funny, I do not seem to remember any park guests bellowing like a wounded elephant that "they are racist here, they charge Californians triple".

· When I went to a University that was part of my state system, I enjoyed a tuition that was a fraction of the "out-of state" rate charged to residents of other states or foreigners. They continued to pay that rate until they gained local state residency. After all, that university was funded in part by my taxes, so why should non-locals enjoy a local benefit? Funny, I do not remember any protests or demonstrations by the out of state/foreign kids (even the slanty eyed non-farang looking ones) who paid the discriminatory/racist rate.

· When I worked in Thailand I would show my driving licence and I always paid the local rate. Even if it is not posted in English, it is easy enough to make out the local rate on the sign by the Baht symbol or the odd-looking Thai language numerals. Just point at the local price and show your driving licence and it is done. They assume that if you have a DL you are on the radar, paying taxes, etc, which is only fair. If foreigners w/o work permits or tourists got in at the local rate, the only one protesting would be me. I paid so much in taxes I would like to they have named a tree after me in some national park.

· Now I work in Malaysia and I always pay the local rate. It may come as a shock to some Thai Visa curmudgeons that Malaysia has also has duel price system for tourist destinations (KL Bird Park, Aquaria KLCC, Zoo's, etc). Some are tax supported and some are private. For the private ones, the "local-rate" is important to fill the attraction with locals on school holidays or with multiple/return visits. It is a different pricing model for a different market.

As it so happens, last month my Thai wife took her mom to KL Bird Park. My wife paid the local rate as she has a Malaysian employment visa. Her mom (Thai resident) paid the much higher tourist/non-local rate. Funny, my mother-in-law never thought to be irritated, after all, she is a tourist and she knows it (I guess she could read her passport stamp). If she worked here or was a documented retiree(MM2H), she would get the local rate. Anyway, if she was offended, I am sure she could rush back home and enjoy any number of local priced benefits in her home country.

So, what is the problem with the Thai duel price system again?

The examples you gave are not examples of racism because all out-of-state residents/visitors pay the same amount (US citizens of all races and foreigners of all races). The price difference is related to state residency and not to race. The situation is different in Thailand. The price difference is based on race. You do not have a similar situation where residents of say, Chonburi Province, pay a certain fee and all other Thai residents and foreigners pay a higher fee. I hope you can see the distinction here as it is important.

Talk of boycotts? Lawsuits? I do not see why this keeps coming up with emotions bordering on rage. In my personal experience:

· Growing up in the USA, where even a hint of discrimination would result in a million dollar lawsuit, I always paid the "in-state" rate for state parks camping sites, fishing licences, hunting licences, hunting tags, etc. In some cases, the out of state rates were 3 times (or more) the "in-state" rate, especially for camping and hunting, but even for simple admittance to a park........after all, what seems like a big amount to a local is not much to someone who is a "tourist" paying for a vacation away from home. Furthermore, it was all subsidized by my (and my parent's) taxes. Funny, I do not seem to remember any park guests bellowing like a wounded elephant that "they are racist here, they charge Californians triple".

· When I went to a University that was part of my state system, I enjoyed a tuition that was a fraction of the "out-of state" rate charged to residents of other states or foreigners. They continued to pay that rate until they gained local state residency. After all, that university was funded in part by my taxes, so why should non-locals enjoy a local benefit? Funny, I do not remember any protests or demonstrations by the out of state/foreign kids (even the slanty eyed non-farang looking ones) who paid the discriminatory/racist rate.

· When I worked in Thailand I would show my driving licence and I always paid the local rate. Even if it is not posted in English, it is easy enough to make out the local rate on the sign by the Baht symbol or the odd-looking Thai language numerals. Just point at the local price and show your driving licence and it is done. They assume that if you have a DL you are on the radar, paying taxes, etc, which is only fair. If foreigners w/o work permits or tourists got in at the local rate, the only one protesting would be me. I paid so much in taxes I would like to they have named a tree after me in some national park.

· Now I work in Malaysia and I always pay the local rate. It may come as a shock to some Thai Visa curmudgeons that Malaysia has also has duel price system for tourist destinations (KL Bird Park, Aquaria KLCC, Zoo's, etc). Some are tax supported and some are private. For the private ones, the "local-rate" is important to fill the attraction with locals on school holidays or with multiple/return visits. It is a different pricing model for a different market.

As it so happens, last month my Thai wife took her mom to KL Bird Park. My wife paid the local rate as she has a Malaysian employment visa. Her mom (Thai resident) paid the much higher tourist/non-local rate. Funny, my mother-in-law never thought to be irritated, after all, she is a tourist and she knows it (I guess she could read her passport stamp). If she worked here or was a documented retiree(MM2H), she would get the local rate. Anyway, if she was offended, I am sure she could rush back home and enjoy any number of local priced benefits in her home country.

The examples you gave are not examples of racism because all out-of-state residents/visitors pay the same amount (US citizens of all races and foreigners of all races). The price difference is related to state residency and not to race. The situation is different in Thailand. The price difference is based on race. You do not have a similar situation where residents of say, Chonburi Province, pay a certain fee and all other Thai residents and foreigners pay a higher fee. I hope you can see the distinction here as it is important.

And from many examples given here, racism isn't a part of it either. When people report that, for the most part, if they prove they are not tourists (Thai driver's license, for example) they are not charged the foreign rate, then the racism thing goes out the window.

And from many examples given here, racism isn't a part of it either. When people report that, for the most part, if they prove they are not tourists (Thai driver's license, for example) they are not charged the foreign rate, then the racism thing goes out the window.

The racist accusation happen when they judge you by colour of skin.

When all with white skin asked pay more, racist.

When everyone asked to show ID on entry, not racist.

The racist accusation happen when they judge you by colour of skin.

When all with white skin asked pay more, racist.

When everyone asked to show ID on entry, not racist.

Profiling, then, but not racism, if they charge less once the ID is shown. Car dealers do the same thing to every prospective customer that shows up on the lot. They make assumptions, based on appearance and act accordingly in the beginning. I think we all do that to some degree, even when someone else sits close by us in a cafe.

Dual priceing does happen in Hawaii. It is just not that blatant. It is called the kama'aina rate. Which is for locals with a state ID or drivers license. The whole point being to get the tourist to pay for the up keep of the tourist attraction. Most hotels and tourist attractions have a kama'aina rate. Thats on top of all the taxes that they charge that are geared towards tourists. Transient accomadation tax(hotel tax), rental car tax, etc.

Since coming to Thailand I have seen dual priceing that is both reasonable and some that is more than extreme. If it is something that I want to see and it is too extreme I will pay it once but thats it. I just will not visit it again.

It is illegal and you can complain to the consumer protection agency.

But even the Royal Palaces charge foreigners more, I took friends to the Summer Palace at Bang Pa-In yesterday, clear policy of dual pricing with the foreigner price more than double, they wouldn't budge with proof of residence.

I suspect I would get short shrift if I had attempted to complain to the Consumer Protection Agency.

Government funded attractions are usually free for anyone.

It is illegal and you can complain to the consumer protection agency.

But even the Royal Palaces charge foreigners more, I took friends to the Summer Palace at Bang Pa-In yesterday, clear policy of dual pricing with the foreigner price more than double, they wouldn't budge with proof of residence.

I suspect I would get short shrift if I had attempted to complain to the Consumer Protection Agency.

Been to Bang Pa-in and was charged the Thai rate with drivers License, admittedly MIL and wife were with me.

Okay. In that case, those privately owned Thai places just need to be avoided and plenty of warnings about them need to be posted on the travel forums.

Man, there is plenty to see in Thailand without supporting crooks.

As for the places in the UK, good on them, though probably not fair to the taxpayers. In effect, they are being charged twice, while the outsiders are enjoying a discount.

The places supported by taxpayers are more than likely free to everyone. eg art galleries, museums, libraries.

You appear not to know the difference between race and nationality...

You appear not to know the difference between race and nationality...

I think you need to read it again slowly.

Don't think so.

The price has nothing to with race.

Ethnic Chinese, Sikh, even farang who have Thai nationality pay one price. Nationals of other countries pay another, again regardless of whether they are black, white, yellow, brown, or purple.

The color of your passport (nationality) Is what determines the price you pay, NOT the color of your skin (race).

The color of your passport (nationality) Is what determines the price you pay, NOT the color of your skin (race).

If you have brown skin they try to charge the Thai price no matter what you passport says. They never ask see.

If you have white or black skin they try charge foreigner price. Never ask ID or passport.

After you can try change their mind, but initial judgment purely skin colour so RACIST.

Have you ever come Thailand?

I have lady friend from Canada (Asian born Cambodia) on holiday in Thailand keep mouth shut, always charged Thai price.

I have lady friend from Canada (Chinese descent) on holiday in Thailand keep mouth shut, always charged Thai price.

Can not speak any Thai but judge by race alone.

I have lady friend from Thailand (Hill tribe, black skin) keep mouth shut, always try charge foreigner price.

When she speak Thai, Thai person say you foreigner, where you learn speak Thai?

Edited by OlafStapleton

Not with driver's license but with ID card from my university (government university). Normally the person selling the tickets just accepts the ID card and I get a free pass but once it took about 30 minutes, what with copies of ID card, signatures here and there and then approval from some officer.

If you have brown skin they try to charge the Thai price no matter what you passport says. They never ask see.

If you have white or black skin they try charge foreigner price. Never ask ID or passport.

After you can try change their mind, but initial judgment purely skin colour so RACIST.

I have lady friend from Canada (Asian born Cambodia) on holiday in Thailand keep mouth shut, always charged Thai price.

I have lady friend from Canada (Chinese descent) on holiday in Thailand keep mouth shut, always charged Thai price.

I have lady friend from Thailand (Hill tribe, black skin) keep mouth shut, always try charge foreigner price.

This is not what I experienced at the weekend.

We were a group of about 30 people. Five were white farangs and three were Thai's who have lived in USA most of their lives and have clearly forgotten some of the Thai language. We took a trip to Nong Nut Village in Pattaya and I was driving the van (privately owned don't worry). They asked how many farangs in the van. I spoke Thai and said there were 4 farangs including me but that I lived here and showed my driving license. No problem until one of the thais opened his mouth and said something. The girl asked to see his ID card to which he replied he had forgotten to bring it. Of course she didn't believe him so then she asked everyone to show their ID Cards.

Anyway two of the Thais ended up paying the full price of 500 Baht.

So the pricing there is not racial but based on residence in Thailand.

If you can pass for a Thai you MIGHT be able to SNEAK in. But that is not the policy. And, believe me, the authorities can spot a Japanese, Korean, or Chinese tourist at 50 feet, as they can 95% of other non-Thai Asians, and they WILL charge them the foreigner rate. The policy is based on NATIONALITY, regardless of whether or nit the occasional non-Thai can sneak in.

If you can pass for a Thai you MIGHT be able to SNEAK in. But that is not the policy. And, believe me, the authorities can spot a Japanese, Korean, or Chinese tourist at 50 feet, as they can 95% of other non-Thai Asians, and they WILL charge them the foreigner rate. The policy is based on NATIONALITY, regardless of whether or nit the occasional non-Thai can sneak in.

Your a funny guy, my wife is a tour guide and she gets the Koreans in for Thai prices but not the Indian's. And we are talking about groups, not occasional non Thais.

Your a funny guy, my wife is a tour guide and she gets the Koreans in for Thai prices but not the Indian's. And we are talking about groups, not occasional non Thais.

Good for your wife.

I stand by my statement, and I bet I've been touring in Thailand longer than your wife has been a guide.

Good for your wife.

I stand by my statement, and I bet I've been touring in Thailand longer than your wife has been a guide.

Probably.. but i guess my wife has been with clients more often to the places where these rules exists then you. Remember its her job. She has been doing it even while she was still studying so over 10 years now. Have you been touring for 10 years... or did you settle somewhere not touring anymore.