Road Rage In Bangkok Ends In Fatal Stabbing

webfact

Road rage ends in fatal stabbing

By The Nation

A 63-year-old man became the latest victim of road rage in Bangkok after being fatally stabbed yesterday afternoon. Chaiwat Limpawatcharapong was found dead inside his car on Pracha-Utit road.

He had been stabbed repeatedly in his neck, head, back, the base of his ear, and his stomach.

"We had just dropped some monks off at the Phra Ram IX Temple," his son Chatchawas Limpawatcharapong, 31, told police, "Then, my dad got angry when another car suddenly cut in front of ours."

Some aggressive driving followed, ending with a collision between the two vehicles.

"A guy stepped out and despite my protest, my dad got out too. They quarrelled and fought. When my dad came back, he was holding his neck and was bleeding. He lost consciousness a short time later," Chatchawas said.

Police identified the attacker as Kanok Poonnim, 35.

His girlfriend described him as hot-tempered. She said she got out of his car after the stabbing because she did not want to be seen as an accomplice.

Kanok, a middle-level executive at an insurance company, fled the scene but later surrendered to police. "I was driving to work when I felt so angry at the way [Chaiwat] drove. When he got out of his car, he also used very rude words.

"I would like to apologise to the victim's family," he said.

Police charged Kanok with murder before releasing him. He is due to meet investigators at 9am today.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-07-19

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This Kanok fellow apparently had his girlfriend (wife actually) and child in the car as well. Looks like they have a nice future to look forward to with the husband in jail.

Nice job, Kanok, should have just kept on driving to Fortune and had some MK. Dropped off the wife and kid, and follow that up with a nice bath in the area with Noi and Pim. Now you'll be taking baths (unless you're one of those 'connected' mid level insurance salesman...LOL) with Somsak and Somchai for a few years at least.

:)

Released to run out in to the rice fields. It's very easy for a Thai to co-opt another identity in Thailand. Might have been a handsome pay-off.

Was the murderer drunk? (legal drug), .......as opposed to hemp which is an illegal drug, and can't get you high at all. Go figure.

Had he eaten a load of MSG? Everyone in Thailand has MSG in their blood - and MSG has been shown to contribute to jangled thinking. It's particularly bad for kids, who ingest the hyper salty stuff as much as their parents (MSG can actually kill brain cells by hyper activating them).

I'm not saying these mind altering substances were to blame, am just saying they could be contributing factors. Ultimately, people have to take responsibility for their actions. No excuses. No easing of repercussions due to excuses.

Been here 13 years, and Thailand still finds a way to amaze me. There were eye witnesses, he confessed, and is released! Un- frickkin- believeable!!!

I wonder what is the going rate to grease the BIB to have you released after murdering someone.

The first question I asked myself after reading this was I wonder what caused a 63-year-old man who

had “just dropped some monks off at the Phra Ram IX Temple” to be in such a mental condition that he would soon

afterwards engage in “ Some aggressive driving “ and “ quarrel “ ?

But maybe that's a question for consideration in the section on Buddhism.

I always hoped that there were enough relaxation techniques available in this country that would help them not

to develop a mindset that caused them to display this kind of aggression on the roads ( e.g meditation, Buddhism,

Thai massages etc ), but then sadly the traffic accident statistics show quite the opposite.

It's so very sad this “malaise “ has now spread to Thailand.

wow a bunch of farangs complaining that Thailand doesn't have the same laws and values as farangland. same same on TV today.

they were both wrong. one guy won the fight. that's a few years max prison in Thailand if it isn't deemed self-defense. the old guy did attack first. that is probably why the 'murderer' was released.

you guys complain about this country but wait until you get into <snip> legal bind. then u will be happy u aren't in the Nazi west..

Edited by soundman
Removed profanity.

I would suspect he was released on bail.

To be released on bail, means here (we will give you the chance to flee the country):lol:

Well, given he is a mid-level insurance employee with a wife and kid, it was probably assumed he wasn't a flight risk, a not uncommon assessment done in most courts around the world.

my dad got angry when another car suddenly cut in front of ours.Some aggressive driving followed, ending with a collision between the two vehicles.

A pure "Darwin contest's nominees".

Som nai na. No sorries, no RIPs - just a clear stupidity. Lost a life for another car passed nearby...

Been here 13 years, and Thailand still finds a way to amaze me. There were eye witnesses, he confessed, and is released! Un- frickkin- believeable!!!

I wonder what is the going rate to grease the BIB to have you released after murdering someone.

What is even more unbelievable are the Thai apologists that will rationalize even the most abhorrent behavior.....and lie about this being "normal in the developed world." No, if you did this in, say, the USA, you would not be released on bail (at least not immediately).

To be released on bail, means here (we will give you the chance to flee the country):lol:

Well, given he is a mid-level insurance employee with a wife and kid, it was probably assumed he wasn't a flight risk, a not uncommon assessment done in most courts around the world.

but what country releases someone on bail after murder ???? ....... esp under these conditions, he even admited the offence ...

Can he keep his car and his license? TiT

How do ya know he had a licence or that the car did not belong to the finance Company?

Does it really matters if he is the 100% owner of the car or if there is some credit to pay? The report did not mention that the guy has no driving license. In the Thai TV they report that the guy was ararrested and brought to prison this morning.

wow a bunch of farangs complaining that Thailand doesn't have the same laws and values as farangland. same same on TV today.

they were both wrong. one guy won the fight. that's a few years max prison in Thailand if it isn't deemed self-defense. the old guy did attack first. that is probably why the 'murderer' was released.

you guys complain about this country but wait until you get into <snip> legal bind. then u will be happy u aren't in the Nazi west..

Wonder if you'd be show the same attitude if this happened to one of your family members.

"Uncle Jims dead. Well he did attack first right, ahh well never mind, sorry for your loss Aunt Sylvia" - next.

Man Stabbed to Death in Road Rage Dispute

A row over aggressive driving in the Pracha Uthit area turned violent and ended with a man being stabbed to death.

Two cars cut each other off and collided on Pracha Uthit Road yesterday, after which the two drivers got out of their cars and fought at an intersection near the Embassy of Cambodia in Bangkok.

One of the drivers, 35 year old Kanok Bunnim, lost his temper and stabbed the other man, 63 year old Chaiwat Limpawatcharapong, and cut the back of his neck with a pocket knife that he said he carries on a regular basis.

The stabber fled the scene before turning himself in to police that evening at Wang Thonglang Police Station.

He confessed to his crime, saying that he was furious with the victim's driving.

Deputy Commander of Metropolitan Police Division 4 Police Colonel Anut Kledmanee said sudden anger was apparently the motive for this murder.

The killer was charged with murder before police granted him temporary release upon seeing that he had no intention of escaping.

The man is being detained at the Criminal Court and will be called in later for interrogation.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-07-19

footer_n.gif

but what country releases someone on bail after murder ???? ....... esp under these conditions, he even admited the offence ...

Thailand only :)

Wonder if you'd be show the same attitude if this happened to one of your family members.

"Uncle Jims dead. Well he did attack first right, ahh well never mind, sorry for your loss Aunt Sylvia" - next.

so because you are related to the guy who attacks someone over a traffic dispute your uncle's actions are ok?

if u attack someone and get killed, thats your problem, not the guy who got attacked. its called self-defense and its not punishable in a reality-based country like Thailand.

u must be one of those guys that hangs the homeowner for shooting a thief.