Thaksin Rules Out Serving Jail Term

webfact

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Self exile, with a private jet, cooks and serving staff, chauffeurs,

international travel, and his OWN PERSONAL ISLAND...

and what ever he wants, EXCEPT coming back to Thailand.

Most issan people would be ecstatic just to live in his bathrooms.

Hell, living in his cars would be an improvement for many.

The guy is an ego maniac and has no connection with the real Thai people.

Maybe in jail he might actually meet some.

Would that be the same Isan people that have voted him and/or his party into office for 5 sequential elections, or is it 6 now? This is not a connection? Would you have us believe that you are more connected to Thai people than he is? It would appear so since you proclaim to know it all, which has ego ramifications of its own. It is interesting how many detractors there are for the removed PM and Bill Gates, typically by underachievers. Speaking of underachievers, hasn't it been two decades since the outgoing party won an election?

Would that be the same Isan people that have voted him and/or his party into office for 5 sequential elections, or is it 6 now? This is not a connection? Would you have us believe that you are more connected to Thai people than he is? It would appear so since you proclaim to know it all, which has ego ramifications of its own. It is interesting how many detractors there are for the removed PM and Bill Gates, typically by underachievers. Speaking of underachievers, hasn't it been two decades since the outgoing party won an election?

If we're talking about k. Thaksin (on topic that is) then he and/or his party have been voted big enough to form a (coalition) government FOUR times (2001, 2005, 2007, 2011). It's always interesting to read that Pheu Thai is called 'his party', in true democratic sense. 'One man, one party, no compromise'. <_<

(edit: add: in Europe we've got lots of parties which have never 'won' an election, but have been part of a coalition. Some even led governments. That's democracy for you.)

Edited by rubl

Indeed, the problem for Thaksin's opponents and the wealthy elite in particular is that he does connect with the masses. He is unique among the wealthy political players, string pullers and bureaucrats in this and they dont know what to do about it, and the more they label him bad and the more court cases he has opened against him the more it legitimises him as the real deal as the ones seen as oppressors are bad mouthing him. That the democrat party decided to get into bed with all these groups undercut any chance they had of making electoral headway too. What Thaksin really is and isnt is one thing and he certainly isnt some good guy, but he does connect with the poor and politically that makes him very very powerful and scares the hell out of his opponents. They couldnt even beat his latest party after years in power, loads of handouts based on deficit spending and changing the electoral system to suit them. No doubt there is still shock going through the system there and lessons arent even learned as the PTP will sit and celebrate the selection again of the unelectable Abhisit as leader of the Dems. Its like hitting your head repeatedly against a wall hoping the wall will break only to be surprised when it is your head that ends up broken.

Indeed, the problem for Thaksin's opponents and the wealthy elite in particular is that he does connect with the masses. He is unique among the wealthy political players, string pullers and bureaucrats in this and they dont know what to do about it, and the more they label him bad and the more court cases he has opened against him the more it legitimises him as the real deal as the ones seen as oppressors are bad mouthing him. That the democrat party decided to get into bed with all these groups undercut any chance they had of making electoral headway too. What Thaksin really is and isnt is one thing and he certainly isnt some good guy, but he does connect with the poor and politically that makes him very very powerful and scares the hell out of his opponents. They couldnt even beat his latest party after years in power, loads of handouts based on deficit spending and changing the electoral system to suit them. No doubt there is still shock going through the system there and lessons arent even learned as the PTP will sit and celebrate the selection again of the unelectable Abhisit as leader of the Dems. Its like hitting your head repeatedly against a wall hoping the wall will break only to be surprised when it is your head that ends up broken.

Just as a possible comparison:

"Silvio Berlusconi's record

The man who screwed an entire country

The Berlusconi era will haunt Italy for years to come

Jun 9th 2011 | from the print edition"

http://www.economist.com/node/18805327

Edited by rubl

They have nicely been connected to his PR legend, but 'the man' and them wouldn't last a full weekend in their world together before he bolted.

When you are talking about a 10 year political machine massaging an electorates perceptions, it's not talking about a real human connection, but a chimera well tended and with extra lighting F/X and audio track editing.

It's public 'divide and conquer' theater dude.

And you can try your subtle little flames of me if you like... don't go too far there are rules here, but those with open minds will read and think about my points, and belittling me won't stop that.

Perception Management 101 : make coherent forum posters seem somehow diminished and hopefully reduce their following of the fence sitters.

Edited by animatic

He said he could not accept the two-year jail term against him because he regarded that case was unfair for him from the beginning.

I'm sure every person ever convicted of a crime and sentenced to jail would say it wasn't fair!

Democracy requires first and foremost that all people are subject to the rule of law. Everyone in prison claims they are innocent. I suppose that means Thaksin supports nobody ever going to prison for anything...

If you want to see who destroyed democracy in Thailand, look no further than the picture at the top of this thread. The military coup simply tried to restore it. I can't believe anyone would have the gall to say that they refuse to accept a sentence that was handed down by a legal court. Whether you like it or not, that is the law and you are subject to it no matter how unfair it is. Anything else is anarchy. Democracy means abiding by the courts judgement no matter how much you disapprove of it. That is what checks and balances are for. If you can prove the judges acted in bad faith, the the legislature can convene a hearing, and if they are found guilty they can be impeached. That is the only recourse available in a democracy. Nobody is allowed to declare themselves above the law and ignore the ruling.

Civil war is coming, because those who know the sentence was fair will not tolerate this blatant injustice of Thaksin trying to serve as judge and jury for himself. Anyone who has hope for this administration is deluding themselves. This is simply the calm before the next battle. And anyone who supports Thaksin should be terrified by what he is trying to do. Nobody can honestly call what he is doing democracy.

We've probably got about 2 years, and then watch out for flying bullets. If Thaksin continues to place himself above the law and refuses to accept the ruling of the courts, then war is the only solution left. Banishment has failed. I just hope it is quick and that the side that supports rule of law emerges victorious.

Sad it has to come to this, but Thaksin leaves everyone no choice.

...Whether you like it or not, that is the law and you are subject to it no matter how unfair it is. Anything else is anarchy....

.....Nobody is allowed to declare themselves above the law and ignore the ruling......

....Civil war is coming, because those who know the sentence was fair will not tolerate this blatant injustice of Thaksin trying to serve as judge and jury for himself...

....And anyone who supports Thaksin should be terrified by what he is trying to do. Nobody can honestly call what he is doing democracy....

We've probably got about 2 years, and then watch out for flying bullets...

Sadly, probably prescient.

Either anarchy or dictatorship.

Some people believe they are a law unto themselves.

Which is often why they get removed by force eventually.

Some times twice, but not as nicely the 2nd time around...

Which would explain why civil war is not illogical given time to fester some more.

Many of use see the storm clouds gathering around Thaksin and it DOES give fear for the future. If anything his ego seems to be gathering them in on it's own.

Re-elect the 111 and then rule with an ironhand.... I wonder how long that would last... ssssshiver.

Edited by animatic

Civil war is coming, because those who know the sentence was fair will not tolerate this blatant injustice of Thaksin trying to serve as judge and jury for himself.

I'd love you to be wrong, but I fear you are not.

When we are in power for a long time, sometimes we may use power too much," Thaksin said.

Extremely high IQ, what a smart guy !

Take it from me that guy has not got a high IQ, just the intelligence of a rat that knows when to run and what sewers to hid in

Edited by Basil B

He said he could not accept the two-year jail term against him because he regarded that case was unfair for him from the beginning.

I'm sure every person ever convicted of a crime and sentenced to jail would say it wasn't fair!

Democracy requires first and foremost that all people are subject to the rule of law. Everyone in prison claims they are innocent. I suppose that means Thaksin supports nobody ever going to prison for anything...

If you want to see who destroyed democracy in Thailand, look no further than the picture at the top of this thread. The military coup simply tried to restore it. I can't believe anyone would have the gall to say that they refuse to accept a sentence that was handed down by a legal court. Whether you like it or not, that is the law and you are subject to it no matter how unfair it is. Anything else is anarchy. Democracy means abiding by the courts judgement no matter how much you disapprove of it. That is what checks and balances are for. If you can prove the judges acted in bad faith, the the legislature can convene a hearing, and if they are found guilty they can be impeached. That is the only recourse available in a democracy. Nobody is allowed to declare themselves above the law and ignore the ruling.

Civil war is coming, because those who know the sentence was fair will not tolerate this blatant injustice of Thaksin trying to serve as judge and jury for himself. Anyone who has hope for this administration is deluding themselves. This is simply the calm before the next battle. And anyone who supports Thaksin should be terrified by what he is trying to do. Nobody can honestly call what he is doing democracy.

We've probably got about 2 years, and then watch out for flying bullets. If Thaksin continues to place himself above the law and refuses to accept the ruling of the courts, then war is the only solution left. Banishment has failed. I just hope it is quick and that the side that supports rule of law emerges victorious.

thats about how long i give it or maybe 3 years I really hope you and I are wrong since ive got a wife and 2 kids here. But I cant really see any other result either a 1 party Taksin state like Zimbabwe or civil war but one never knows. In meantime I will get out what I can from here as soon as I can. IVe already liquidated about 30-40% of our assets here since reds went on their rampage. Very sad weve done really well financially from Thailand in last 15 years and during that time invested around 100 million baht in property, land (for my wife and thai children) business and shares. Some we cant sell because its in our children's names and cant be sold until they are 20 in a few years time. Apart from our house the rest will be sold for whatever we can get over next 1-2 years and then well see. Anyone who has significant investments here would be foolish in my view to wait since its almost certainly going to blow up big in next 2-5 years or so. On other hand if Taksin wins and gets his absolute power which no one should be in any doubt he thinks he deserves then it might not be to bad for investments we cant sell but of course the stupid Buffalo will continue to be dirt poor.

I think that Thaksin just wants to uphold one of the most time-honoured Thai traditions: No "influential person" should EVER have to take responsibility for his/her actions.

/ Priceless

I wish someone would superglue his mouth and ass shut. They should put him in a THAI maximum security remand prison for his full two years. You have hit the nail squarely on the head....there is no responsibility for one's actions in Thailand...except maybe the poor bastard who steals food to eat...

In all honesty what he says about bringing sport mainly football to the forefront of reconciliation is a good idea because since me being a South African myself it really worked in a way that there is alot less racist people in South Africa

I guess the protests in New Zealand about the Springbok tour in the 70's and 80's were never aired in South Africa. It just took the white biased goverment (South Africa) at the time, a very long time to realise that sport and politcs should not be mixed together.

It is a shame people have such short political memories. It didn't work then and wont work now.

The problem in Thailand and Asia in general that needs to be delt with, is the underlying acceptance of graft as being ok.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_Springbok_Tour

Bashing is easy and free of charge...to a certain limit...but why don't you tell us about how you connect with the real Thai people ?

Thaksin will "stand for justice" by not accepting 'unfair' legal action against him."

Ignoring his narcissism ("I stand for justice"), the foundation for possessing this right is the following: "The case was not fair from the beginning, . . . "

Why was it unfair one may ask? Because "They (the Supreme Court's Criminal Division) made my political opponents the investigators against me. And the investigative panel was set up with an order by the coup makers, who toppled me."

Notice that there is no proclamation whatsoever as to whether or not he actually COMMITTED THE OFFENSES CHARGED.

This way of thinking is not exclusive to the former PM. I'm reminded of a similar 'logic' practiced by a car thief in California who stated that it was not his fault that he took the car, but the fault its owner for leaving the keys in the ignition.

I've run into this 'logic' in Thailand numerous times. If one adopts a certain mindset, it can actually become amusing.

In all honesty what he says about bringing sport mainly football to the forefront of reconciliation is a good idea because since me being a South African myself it really worked in a way that there is alot less racist people in South Africa

I disagree, but I have been known to wrong and/or naive.

I also disagree, this is not about builing team spirit or the like.

For thaksin and his scaly cronies it's nothing more then using a word that sounds nice reconcilation as a smoke screen to get back to the feeding trough.

What will take Thailand forward is everybody concerned obeying and respecting the laws of Thailand and showing some positive and strong values and morals, nothing less.

Thaksin will "stand for justice" by not accepting 'unfair' legal action against him."

Ignoring his narcissism ("I stand for justice"), the foundation for possessing this right is the following: "The case was not fair from the beginning, . . . "

Why was it unfair one may ask? Because "They (the Supreme Court's Criminal Division) made my political opponents the investigators against me. And the investigative panel was set up with an order by the coup makers, who toppled me."

Notice that there is no proclamation whatsoever as to whether or not he actually COMMITTED THE OFFENSES CHARGED.

This way of thinking is not exclusive to the former PM. I'm reminded of a similar 'logic' practiced by a car thief in California who stated that it was not his fault that he took the car, but the fault its owner for leaving the keys in the ignition.

I've run into this 'logic' in Thailand numerous times. If one adopts a certain mindset, it can actually become amusing.

Well said. Another point is that he clearly broke existing laws and regulations (there for decades) which are there for very good reasons, and there are government agencies already in existence (for decades) who should have shouted loudly and quickly 'you cannot do this - It's against the law'!

The fact that they didn't act just emphasises how many people and agencies the paymaster intimidated.

Edited by scorecard

I thought it was up to the courts to rule out your jail term, or not? At least that's how it works in countries that aren't BANANA REPUBLICS.

I thought the US president could pardon people, and that aint no banana republic. I think there have been a number of political type pardons too. Anyway it isnt unheard of that the polity can undo a charge or court decision.

Of course those pardons happen AFTER conviction and time served,

and don't necessarily reinstall election rights.

And they don't stop all PENDING legal trials and charges.

He clearly expect to have enough power for blanket immunity from EVERYTHING.

But somehow I doubt he has immunity from segments of the populace that fear

his return to his old form to carry on where he left off.

As JD said

"That very well be in 1-2 years IF PTP does a decent job, or never ...."

Ides of March maybe? Let's see how fast his ego swells after sis is in office.

If he plans on coming for the December wedding,

I hope to be far, far away from that party.

pardons in the USA :

A pardon is the forgiveness of a crime and the cancellation of the relevant penalty

That can be before time is served, too.

I thought it was up to the courts to rule out your jail term, or not? At least that's how it works in countries that aren't BANANA REPUBLICS.

I thought the US president could pardon people, and that aint no banana republic. I think there have been a number of political type pardons too. Anyway it isnt unheard of that the polity can undo a charge or court decision.

Those pardoned are otherwise in compliance with the judicial system. I don't think a fugitive has ever been pardoned. One also has to admit they did something wrong. Certainly not (ever) the case here.

He's not some kind of underachiever the guy was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. Were you even in Thailand when he was PM? If you were then you should know better what kind of person he was. Not only did he order the deaths of many people under the ruse of a "war on drugs" campaign he even publicly said that those provinces that didn't vote him in would receive tsunami aid last. Great for the Isan people too bad the rest of the poor provinces have to suffer because they didn't vote for him. This doesn't even account for his brutality in the deep south, lets also remember that in 2005 you wouldn't even hear about other parties except for his.

I don't really see how Bill Gates can even be compared to him unless you mean ethically. Bill Gates made his success by buying out the competition then burying them. You have to be very naive and know nothing about Gates to think he is some kind of saint but it's an insult to Bill to relate him to a flat out criminal like Taksin.

So really it's not interesting that many people hate Taksin. There are simply too many reasons to list why and you are ignorant of all of them.

Edited by hungryhippo

Those pardoned are otherwise in compliance with the judicial system. I don't think a fugitive has ever been pardoned. One also has to admit they did something wrong. Certainly not (ever) the case here.

Nixon

Nixon

And was that a good idea?

Of course those pardons happen AFTER conviction and time served,

and don't necessarily reinstall election rights.

And they don't stop all PENDING legal trials and charges.

He clearly expect to have enough power for blanket immunity from EVERYTHING.

But somehow I doubt he has immunity from segments of the populace that fear

his return to his old form to carry on where he left off.

As JD said

"That very well be in 1-2 years IF PTP does a decent job, or never ...."

Ides of March maybe? Let's see how fast his ego swells after sis is in office.

If he plans on coming for the December wedding,

I hope to be far, far away from that party.

pardons in the USA :

A pardon is the forgiveness of a crime and the cancellation of the relevant penalty

That can be before time is served, too.

True in the US, but IIRC, in Thailand a minimum of one-third of the sentence must be served before a petition is made to the only personage who can grant a pardon in Thailand.