Pirelli Scorpion Mt 90 A/T Tires Anybody Using Them?

I'm looking for people who are using (or have used) the Pirelli Scorpion MT 90 A/T tire, I'm looking for a more road friendly/gravel/off-road tire, and I was told that the Pirelli Scorpion MT 90 A/T is a 50% on-road and 50 off-road orientated tire. Please share your experience...

I have Pirelli Route 90/140 x 15 MT 90 A/T on my Yamaha Virago 535 at the rear and a Pirelli Route 3.00 x 19 at the front.

The front needs replacing anyway but the rear has a very good tread.

I went up to Chiang Mai on Monday via the route 1 and then the 106 through the hills. It was raining steadily but not hard.

Twice the back end twitched on me, once passing a truck and my feet were pounding up and down on the tarmac and the other was just a twitch. A couple of ks up the hill rounding a very sharp left hand bend I gave the bike too much throttle and it dumped me on my arse sliding backwards up the hill and I have a bruise on my thigh from the clutch lever and another above my groin from the handlebars.

I was only doing about 10 to 15 kph as the bends are tight on that road.

A couple of Thais in a pickup coming down the hill asked if I needed help and after I got the bike off me and upright and started it up I said thanks and I am OK now.

A couple of minutes after I was upright again the trailer truck came around the corner slowly and taking a lot of the opposite side of the road thereby missing me. They wanted to know if I was OK as well.

It was my fault but I haven't been too happy since and one more time on the way back the bike twitched again.

On a dry road the tyres are superb but I am not happy in the rain so in my case rather than replacing the front tyre with another Pirelli I will be looking at a better wet weather tyre for both front and back.

Please accept this as my personal opinion as others may say different.

I'm planing to use them on a 250cc off-road motorcycle with currently a 80/100-21" front and a 110/100-18" rear tire. For the front tire Pirelli told me they don't have a 80/100-21” and will probably be a 90/90-21” and for the rear Pirelli advised me to go for a 120/80-18”

Currently the motorcycle is equipped with kidney shakers, and while I stay most of the time off the road with this motorcycle I not actual do much dirt digging... it are mostly gravel roads and the average unpaved rural country roads.

I have Pirelli Route 90/140 x 15 MT 90 A/T on my Yamaha Virago 535 at the rear and a Pirelli Route 3.00 x 19 at the front.

I went up to Chiang Mai on Monday via the route 1 and then the 106 through the hills. It was raining steadily but not hard.

Twice the back end twitched on me, once passing a truck and my feet were pounding up and down on the tarmac and the other was just a twitch. A couple of ks up the hill rounding a very sharp left hand bend I gave the bike too much throttle and it dumped me on my arse sliding backwards up the hill and I have a bruise on my thigh from the clutch lever and another above my groin from the handlebars.

A couple of Thais in a pickup coming down the hill asked if I needed help and after I got the bike off me and upright and started it up I said thanks and I am OK now.

A couple of minutes after I was upright again the trailer truck came around the corner slowly and taking a lot of the opposite side of the road thereby missing me. They wanted to know if I was OK as well.

It was my fault but I haven't been too happy since and one more time on the way back the bike twitched again.

On a dry road the tyres are superb but I am not happy in the rain so in my case rather than replacing the front tyre with another Pirelli I will be looking at a better wet weather tyre for both front and back.

Sorry are you sure you have the Pirelli Scorpion MT 90 A/T and not the Pirelli Scorpion MT 90 S/T? The A/T is a 50/50 Road/off-road, while the S/T is a 70/30 Road/off-road tire

Richard.. It clearly states he has Pirelli Route tyres on his bike.... You really do need to read thingsrolleyes.gif

Yes see it, if is safe to say that I'm not interested in the Pirelli Route tires on this bike... All it gives me an idea for trying to get some extra discount by changing the tires on two bikes at once...

Bill. How old are the tyres...it should tell you on the side wall, month and year.

Maybe they have gone hard (i believe they haven't had much use). Also the tyre pressures should be 30psi front and 32psi rear it might pay to check that.

img_scorpion%20mt90at.jpg

That's quite an odd choice of tire for a Virago... :huh:

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Richard.. It clearly states he has Pirelli Route tyres on his bike.... You really do need to read thingsrolleyes.gif

I checked with Pirelli, they don't have Pirelli Route MT90 A/T tires... they have Route MT66's, the MT90 is reserved for off-road/dual-sport motorcycles

I checked with Pirelli, they don't have Pirelli Route MT90 A/T tires... they have Route MT66's, the MT90 is reserved for off-road/dual-sport motorcycles

Yes, AFAIK there is no such thing as a "Pirelli Route MT90"... I think Uncle Bill is a little confused?

I'm sure I know someone who put some on his KLX250 recently. he rides the bike to its limits. I'll email him and see if he can comment.

They certainly look a superb tire

Edited by jubby

Yes, AFAIK there is no such thing as a "Pirelli Route MT90"... I think Uncle Bill is a little confused?

I think being dumped on my ass scrambled my brain.

The rear is a Pirelli Route 140/90 x 15 M/C 70H Tubeless also stamped as MT 66.

The front is a 3.00 x 19 M/C 49H also MT 66.

Please accept my apologies.

The bike came with these tyres and as I have spoked wheels I have to assume that I have inner tubes as well. He imported it from Italy and from the writing on the tyres I guess that's where the tyres are from.

Bill. How old are the tyres...it should tell you on the side wall, month and year.

Maybe they have gone hard (i believe they haven't had much use). Also the tyre pressures should be 30psi front and 32psi rear it might pay to check that.

The pressures are fine even for a fat man like me but I know the front has to go very soon as it is a bit like me, old and worn out but still working in parts.

I am sure that I will replace both with something better for the wet weather.

It rained from Lampang to south of Tak on Wednesday and I rejoined the CWFM club.

Cold, Wet and Forking Miserable.

On the other hand including fuel stops and lunch I made 404 km in just over 5 1/2 hours which improved my sense of humour.

I also had a set of partly waterproof troushorts where the bar and clutch lever went through.

Very sexy on one side.

Could try these too, I know someone with some on a KLX250 and loves them, think they were only around 3500baht as well http://tyrethailand....spx?prod=030046

http://www.dunloptyres.com.au/dotCMS/TyreDetailAction?website=DUN&websegmentcode=MOTORCYCLE&mtpcode=80136&from=nPerPage

I looked at the Dunlop tires, but the D604 is way too much road orientated, the D605 with 50/50 road/off-road looks promising but the profile looks a bit more rough compared to the Pirelli

d605.jpg

Could try these too, I know someone with some on a KLX250 and loves them, think they were only around 3500baht as well http://tyrethailand....spx?prod=030046

http://www.dunloptyres.com.au/dotCMS/TyreDetailAction?website=DUN&websegmentcode=MOTORCYCLE&mtpcode=80136&from=nPerPage

I looked at the Dunlop tires, but the D604 is way too much road orientated, the D605 with 50/50 road/off-road looks promising but the profile looks a bit more rough compared to the Pirelli

d605.jpg

They are the Tires fitted standard to the KLX. The pirelli's are a bit more refined and better on road, but still very capable off road. I will be changing mine when they wear down a bit.

The Guy I mentioned does indeed have the MT90's . he says they are a superb tire.

Having watched him keep up with a group of Thai 650's a few weeks ago on some twisties in the mountains I would have to agree

Edited by jubby