Paying Into Uk Pension/National Insurance

I'm a few years behind on my UK National Insurance and would like to catch up as it were. I'm returning to the UK for a visit soon. Does anyone know where I can pay this money? It's been a while and don't know my way around the system. Advice or experience would be great.

The new rule is that instead of having to make 42/44 years contribution in order to get a state pension,you now just make contributions for 30yrs. I hope you realise that if you remain in Thailand when you come to

retirement age, you will not receive any yearly increase on your pension. My advise do not make any more contributions.

The new rule is that instead of having to make 42/44 years contribution in order to get a state pension,you now just make contributions for 30yrs. I hope you realise that if you remain in Thailand when you come to

retirement age, you will not receive any yearly increase on your pension. My advise do not make any more contributions.

If I don't make the contributions I wont get the full pension, so why wouldn't I make them? I don't follow the rational. Could you please explain, Thanks.

How many year you pay?

How old you?

What sex are you?

Any kids?

Person only need 30 year for full pension

Woman have child get 18 year free contributions

No need make any payments before you age 36 as retire age 66.

If already pay 10 years, no need make more pay until 46 as retire age 66.

Edited by OlafStapleton

The Pension isnt inflation adjusted for people living overseas. So If you retire when your 67 and you get $120/week [example] It will stay at that level until your ten feet under if you continue to live in Thailand. If you go back to live in the UK then you will receive inflation adjustments of 3% year.

By the time im 67 in another 30 years they probably most likely change the rules again that you would have to live in the UK to receive the Pension so im opting out and paying a big fat zero.

The Pension isnt inflation adjusted for people living overseas. So If you retire when your 67 and you get $120/week [example] It will stay at that level until your ten feet under if you continue to live in Thailand. If you go back to live in the UK then you will receive inflation adjustments of 3% year.

By the time im 67 in another 30 years they probably most likely change the rules again that you would have to live in the UK to receive the Pension so im opting out and paying a big fat zero.

Thats probably the most sensible approach to the UK State Pension.

That, or just seeing it as a kind of bonus when its paid, and something not to be a factor in any plans to move to Thailand.

Penkoprod

I am self employed, and pay £2.20 a week, which is taken out of my account every 12 weeks. Quite a good deal if you ask me.

You can also pay voluntary at about £7.50 a week, toucan do the math guys

regards

Although this issue has gone to the European courts and so far failed to make any changes there is an EDM (Early Day Motion) whic has just been tabled in UK parliament supported by 84 MP's from all 3 political parties that requests parity for all overseas pensioners with those who are living in the UK. Whether this will be successful or not remains to be seen but for the sake of around 10 pounds a month it would be pretty stupid not to cover yourself.Financially the government saves billions every year from retirees emigrating so they are unlikely to make it more difficult for pensioners to move abroad.

Although this issue has gone to the European courts and so far failed to make any changes there is an EDM (Early Day Motion) whic has just been tabled in UK parliament supported by 84 MP's from all 3 political parties that requests parity for all overseas pensioners with those who are living in the UK. Whether this will be successful or not remains to be seen but for the sake of around 10 pounds a month it would be pretty stupid not to cover yourself.Financially the government saves billions every year from retirees emigrating so they are unlikely to make it more difficult for pensioners to move abroad.

See http://britishpensions.com/our-work/edm

You can find email or address of your MP (or old MP) to write to support this.

I am sure that the pension thing is changing soon, and that everyone who retires will get 140GBP per week, regardless if they have paid or not.

It was posted on TV somewhere.

Now that is interesting. Can't see it in the current mood of cuts and austerity, though.

I am sure that the pension thing is changing soon, and that everyone who retires will get 140GBP per week, regardless if they have paid or not.

It was posted on TV somewhere.

Its a bit of a con when one looks further into it.

The government raises the pensions, making out its a benefactor and champion of the pensioners. But, at the same time takes out the need to pay any "top up payments" to those with an income below the "poverty line"

The criteria for who gets it and who doesnt is further clouded by rumour that those that are already getting a state pension will stay on the old scheme, and those that retire after the new scheme is in place will get the <whatever figure is announced> rate

Nothing yet about those expat pensioners in certain countries who have their pensions frozen, so anything said about it is pure conjecture at this point.

Penkoprod

retirement age, you will not receive any yearly increase on your pension. My advise do not make any more contributions..

If I don't make the contributions I wont get the full pension, so why wouldn't I make them? I don't follow the rational. Could you please explain, Thanks.

Pay the contributions till you have paid your 30 years.I did for the first 6 years I was here.I got a pension statement which said I had mafe 31 years.30 is needed.No you will not get yearly increments but hey you never really know where you will be by then..We have a lot over here on thd scam because they never made provisions for their old age! Dont be one of them...

Pay the contributions till you have paid your 30 years.I did for the first 6 years I was here.I got a pension statement which said I had mafe 31 years.30 is needed.No you will not get yearly increments but hey you never really know where you will be by then..We have a lot over here on thd scam because they never made provisions for their old age! Dont be one of them...

Good advice, I have done the same.

Like anybody else I have no idea how long I've got and where I'll be and what the value of the Quid will be. But its not expensive at about 600 quid/year, however I fully expect that this amount will rise substantially, as for the benefits provided it is very cheap. Get a breakdown from the inland revenue, maybe you can pay some previous years at a reduced rate.

Even in the worst case, where the UK turns into a third world country, I am "fairly" certain that the national pension will be paid in the future.

As usual in these forums, there is an element of mis-information

The current rules, effective from April 2010, may not still be relevant when some people reach retirement age.

These current rules require men and women to have 30 years of NI payments (or credits) for a full state pension. A pension of 1/30th will be paid for each year NI is paid or credited. I'm not aware of any benefits for women just because they have children.

Note that for Bereavement benefits (widowed Mothers allowance in particular) which currently pays up to 100GBP a week to your widow if she has children of school age -or infants -will require the full 44 NI contributions for full benefit.

The proposed "Universal pension" of 140GBP, or more depending on where you read it, will likely still require 30 NI contributions, AND it is possible that some form of residency may become involved. So as well as looking forward to frozen pensions, some of the younger members could conceivably miss out altogether if they live permanently in Thailand.

These current rules require men and women to have 30 years of NI payments (or credits) for a full state pension. A pension of 1/30th will be paid for each year NI is paid or credited. I'm not aware of any benefits for women just because they have children.

NI pension credit for mothers

This is connected to child benefit claim, 1 year NI contribution for each year child benefit up to a maximum of 19 years.

I know one UK lady that has this reduction by full 19 years. She show me her letter showing pension forcast.

The issue centres on the payment of Home Responsibilities Protection, which was introduced in 1978 to build up the basic state pension for mothers who took a career break.

Usually, a person needs to work for 39 years to have sufficient National Insurance contributions to qualify for a full state pension.

But HRP reduces the number of years needed - meaning women who stay at home to raise children are not penalised.

For every year a mother claims Child Benefit, a year should be knocked off the number of working years required - up to a maximum of 19.

From April 6, 2010, a woman will have to work for only 30 years to qualify for a full state pension.

Here is government link but hard to understand.

From 2010 reduced to maximum of 12 years and only if you entitle to working tax credit.

New rules 12 years

Also men aged 60-65 get 5 years free contribution if living in UK more than 6 months each year and not work.

Edited by OlafStapleton

NI pension credit for mothers

This is connected to child benefit claim, 1 year NI contribution for each year child benefit up to a maximum of 19 years.

I know one UK lady that has this reduction by full 19 years. She show me her letter showing pension forcast.

The issue centres on the payment of Home Responsibilities Protection, which was introduced in 1978 to build up the basic state pension for mothers who took a career break.

Usually, a person needs to work for 39 years to have sufficient National Insurance contributions to qualify for a full state pension.

But HRP reduces the number of years needed - meaning women who stay at home to raise children are not penalised.

For every year a mother claims Child Benefit, a year should be knocked off the number of working years required - up to a maximum of 19.

From April 6, 2010, a woman will have to work for only 30 years to qualify for a full state pension.

Here is government link but hard to understand.

From 2010 reduced to maximum of 12 years and only if you entitle to working tax credit.

New rules 12 years

Also men aged 60-65 get 5 years free contribution if living in UK more than 6 months each year and not work.

Thank you Olaf for that information. I had not seen it.

However, hardly likely to relevant to anyone living in Thailand with a Thai wife. Even the dependents allowance can no longer be claimed

like the US and more than half of Europe, the UK is essentially bankrupt, a result of years of over spending, moronic decisions as to how to spend that money, lies and deceit by New Labour.

This means the governments of the future will be under more and more pressure to cut spending wherever they can. And don't think the spending cuts will be fair, those who have paid their way are just as likely to be victims, maybe more so, than the millions and millions of spongers that will continue to drag the UK down for years to come.

So be aware that your future pension may be at risk. By all means be fully paid up, but don't rely on it for your retirement.

like the US and more than half of Europe, the UK is essentially bankrupt, a result of years of over spending, moronic decisions as to how to spend that money, lies and deceit by New Labour.

This means the governments of the future will be under more and more pressure to cut spending wherever they can. And don't think the spending cuts will be fair, those who have paid their way are just as likely to be victims, maybe more so, than the millions and millions of spongers that will continue to drag the UK down for years to come.

So be aware that your future pension may be at risk. By all means be fully paid up, but don't rely on it for your retirement.

At £2.20 a week for self employed, I am prepared to take that risk.

People paying 9% of their income are the ones I feel for.

Yes but people paying 9% aren't just funding their retirement !!

That 9% is a tax which part funds everything in the UK from highways to schools, policing etc etc

That 9% is a tax which part funds everything in the UK from highways to schools, policing etc etc

Schools and policing come from your rates not NI, not sure about highways, I think local roads are council supported and motorways are government.

NI also funds hospitals.

Those are the nice things that we accept tax should be paid to provide. But the fact is that the biggest single beneficiary of the tax and NI that you pay is actually to fund the welfare system. We pay high taxes in the UK to pay for million of parasites to do nothing.

Schools and policing come from your rates not NI, not sure about highways, I think local roads are council supported and motorways are government.

NI also funds hospitals.

They are not even doing that.

They are paying a subscription to qualify for a pension in the future, which will be paid for by the brats and grandbrats out of their taxes. And it is going to be one huge &lt;deleted&gt; bill, let's hope they are up to it......