Bread Making Machine

Forkinhades

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure why one would need a "Machine" to make bread ?! :)

My grandma used to make bread all the time, all she needed is a

table and an oven ... but than she was a big strong women and

could give the dough the pounding it needed !laugh.gif

Anyway, Central has a very well stocked home department, I would

bet they have what you are looking for. Other places to consider

might be Index.

Other than that, I would guess you would have more luck in Bangkok,

such places like Emporium and Robinson come to mind ...

Good Luck,

rudi

I used a cheap bread machine from Argos all the time back in Europe. It cost about GBP30 and made me hundreds if not thousands of loaves. Bargain. And beats doing it by hand.

I suspect the problem here would be finding decent bread flour and yeast.

I bought one made by Severin of Germany from www.verasu.com 2 y ago for ~4000. The Thai disctributor is based in Bangkok and delivery to Pattaya is about B160. The machine broke down once and I had to ship it back to the company for repairs but now it is back and works fine. I saw bigger machines for about 5500 on sale at the Central Pattaya in the department store about a year ago.

"Normal" plain flour sold in 1Kg bags (23 Baht) in Thai supermarkets are fine for Breadmakers, dried yeast is sold in 500g packs SAF Gold is about 200 Baht, personally I start the yeast off first in a mug with 3-4 Tsp of Sugar + 1 Tsp flour + 1 Tsp yeast, add water ~30°C leave for ten minutes. Make bread as normal. A little oil in the dough helps make the loaf last a bit longer. A bit of oil around the edge 30 minutes before it finishes cooking gives a brilliant crust.

"Normal" plain flour sold in 1Kg bags (23 Baht) in Thai supermarkets are fine for Breadmakers, dried yeast is sold in 500g packs SAF Gold is about 200 Baht, personally I start the yeast off first in a mug with 3-4 Tsp of Sugar + 1 Tsp flour + 1 Tsp yeast, add water ~30°C leave for ten minutes. Make bread as normal. A little oil in the dough helps make the loaf last a bit longer. A bit of oil around the edge 30 minutes before it finishes cooking gives a brilliant crust.

Especially if you use a wee bit of olive oil :)

Only place I know that definitely has them is Verasu, Wireless RD. They are expensive bur very good. You won't find them at Robinsons or central.<br>Maybe Index but I doubt it.<br>

Only place I know that definitely has them is Verasu, Wireless RD. They are expensive bur very good. You won't find them at Robinsons or central.<br>Maybe Index but I doubt it.<br>

As already pointed out by another poster,Central definitely has them and I can confirm that Robinson in Sriracha has them also.

some time ago some kind tv'er posted a link to "no knead bread" ..have used the method ever since with my own variations ( try adding olive oil in the mix...yum. ALSO dip a chunk in some olive oil and balsamic vinegar...orgasmic!).

....."bread maker" bread would be a failure here in the boonies as the power goes off so often with predictable results for your fresh morning bread smell...lol

I use a toaster oven as we don't have a big oven ...works great and quick ( 20-30 mins)!

If ya want the "no knead bread" just go google....

post-36430-0-35237000-1311468276_thumb.j

some time ago some kind tv'er posted a link to "no knead bread" ..have used the method ever since with my own variations ( try adding olive oil in the mix...yum. ALSO dip a chunk in some olive oil and balsamic vinegar...orgasmic!).

....."bread maker" bread would be a failure here in the boonies as the power goes off so often with predictable results for your fresh morning bread smell...lol

I use a toaster oven as we don't have a big oven ...works great and quick ( 20-30 mins)!

If ya want the "no knead bread" just go google....

David, that looks sooo yummy ... I am off to the kitchen, will try is as well .... lol ....

rudi

On a similar note, has anybody ever tried to make Naan at home ?

I am Garlic fanatic and would love to try making my own Garlic Naan !

Doing a Google search now ...

Cheers,

rudi

It looks just great, Rudi! How about some details? Maybe the recipe.

Rich, I followed David006 advice, googled the recipe and added some

olive oil and Garlic.

I let the dough stay over night, but it didn't rise much ... I used my combo

micro wave/oven. It was not getting hot enough, I had to turn the bred over

after 30 minutes and bake the other side for another 30 minutes.

I need to get a better oven ... :)

Cheers,

rudi

PS: David, looks like you had more success, can you post your recipe ?

PS2: I only had white flower at home. Next time will try with hole whet ....

Edited by luudee

One of the advantages of a bread machine over making the bread by hand is that you can prepare it all the night before and have the bread machine automatically start in the morning so you have fresh bread when you get up.

Personally I'm much too lazy for that. I buy various Italian bread rolls and keep them in my deep freezer, and stick them in my toaster oven for 2 minutes in the morning. Not much difference IMO.

I've seen bread machines both in Central and in Home Pro. I think other DYI shops like Home Works etc probably have them as well.

• Like 1

One of the advantages of a bread machine over making the bread by hand is that you can prepare it all the night before and have the bread machine automatically start in the morning so you have fresh bread when you get up.

Personally I'm much too lazy for that. I buy various Italian bread rolls and keep them in my deep freezer, and stick them in my toaster oven for 2 minutes in the morning. Not much difference IMO.

I've seen bread machines both in Central and in Home Pro. I think other DYI shops like Home Works etc probably have them as well.

I looked in Homeworks today but didn't see any.

I agree with you, I buy the same and do the same.

It is fun though making your own bread and yes nice to have freshly baked bread in the morning.

Hmm.cool.gif

Edited by Phil Conners
fixed botched quote

I used to get mine from Makro, part baked I think, just put them in the oven from Frozen, very nice indeed. Used to buy in packs of 6 for about 60 baht.

Now the breadmaking machines I have seen in the uk for about £100 are 600 watts, and bake the bread in an hour, so to cook them would be 3/5 of 1 unit of electric, 4 baht say, then the ingredients, and I would put in some nuts, and lots of Garlic, so IMO much cheaper, and you own receipe

I used a cheap bread machine from Argos all the time back in Europe. It cost about GBP30 and made me hundreds if not thousands of loaves. Bargain. And beats doing it by hand.

I've seen both for sale in Pattaya. Try Foodland.

might be Index.

Good Luck,

rudi

It may not occur to you, but many of us live without such luxuries as strong tables and ovens.

And, I'd like to see you knead bread with tennis elbow!

might be Index.

Good Luck,

rudi

It may not occur to you, but many of us live without such luxuries as strong tables and ovens.

And, I'd like to see you knead bread with tennis elbow!

Indeed!!

I like the idea of the bread machine, as you only have to measure the ingredients, and put them into the machine, set the timer, Job done!!

&lt;deleted&gt; all that kneading business

I've seen both for sale in Pattaya. Try Foodland.

You can also buy it at BigC, Lotus Tesco and Makro.

There is a big difference between "flour" and "decent flour". For example, I would say that bog-standard white flour from any country is unsuitable for making good bread.

When I make bread, I use organic stone-ground wholemeal and organic stone-ground strong white flour, mixed 50/50. These make a great loaf. Tops have something approaching these (Waitrose label).

As for freezing baked bread, I find this is not very good and I can always tell the difference, notably from the texture.

Frozen part-baked bread is much better, I think. Nearly as good as fresh.

Why does it matter how it was ground?

Some bread don't freeze well, for example the "hard rolls" from Foodland, but I found the various Italian rolls from Best are just fine after having been frozen. Of course they shouldn't stay in the freezer for an extended time but a week or two is ok, and if they've been sitting in the shop all day, freezing them don't make them any better, but if you get them early and freeze them immediately they're very yummy after a few minutes in the toaster oven.

Why does it matter how it was ground?

Stone ground gives a coarser flour, and that makes for a more interesting texture which can be felt on the tongue. :)

It also retains 100% of the wheat (for wholemeal).

Regular flour is often very fine indeed, nearly powder, and as such is perhaps more suitable for cakes, batters and "American" bread where one wants a very smooth result.

I agree that some types of bread freeze better than others.

• 4 months later...