A Quick Licence Question - Phuket Related.

KhunHeineken

I have researched forums and websties and found conflicting information. I have spoken to people, Thai and farang. There are always different answers to my question.

I have a 1 year "Temporary Motorcycle Licence." It expires soon. The question I have is, do I go to The Land Transport Office to renew the licence before the expiry date, or after the licence expires? Just to make things a little more difficult, it expires on a weekend, when the Office is shut, so, I definately have to pick one, or the other.

Some say you go the week before, some say for the 1 year licence you have to let it expire. Are the 1 year and 5 year licence different this way? I know all the paperwork I have to have etc etc. I also know TIT and it depends who you get on the day at the office.

Has anyone renewed a 1 year licence lately? If so, when did you renew it.

Any firm information on this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I would go on the friday before it expires, then if its not cool go on the following monday...I had temp licences for 2 years, then i got a 5 year licence....when i first did my licence it was a nightmare....the konsorng in Phuket town was just a giant scrum and i couldnt work out where to go etc etc....when i went to get my 5 year licence earlier this year it was a breeze...they have cleaned the place up...added new sections and buildings...they speak english and thai...its much more falang freindly

Edited by snamos

As far as I know, if you apply for a new licence before the old one expires, you will be issued with a new one year licence.

On the other hand, if you apply after your one year licence has expired, you will be issued with a five year licence.

Hope this helps.

We had a discussion on the Samui forum re getting a drivers licence in general. To make things easy I went to The Land Transport Office, the young lady pointed out the to requirements translated to English & posted on the wall. Here is the picture, hopes it helps you.

In your case paragraph 5.

I renewed mine last December, and I agree the current set up at the Phuket LTO makes it a breeze. FYI: Every office is a bit different so be prepared. I got a car and motorcycle so they asked for 2 copies of everything including a medical form. There is a copy shop there but no clinics in the area so pick that up before you go. To get the five year renewal you suppose to be on a long stay Visa of some type. I've read on TV some people say they got a 5 year on a tourist visa but.......ymmv.

Check out: click here

Some info is old, you don't need photos anymore, and it didn't mention the medical but has some info on timing and fees that may help you.

gl

cr

you just triggered my memory....yes this is true...go in a few days early

As far as I know, if you apply for a new licence before the old one expires, you will be issued with a new one year licence.

On the other hand, if you apply after your one year licence has expired, you will be issued with a five year licence.

Hope this helps.

We had a discussion on the Samui forum re getting a drivers licence in general. To make things easy I went to The Land Transport Office, the young lady pointed out the to requirements translated to English & posted on the wall. Here is the picture, hopes it helps you.

problem is, all DLT have their own rules, and they change them each time a new head poncho is appointed, which will happen all over the country within a few weeks, appointed by new Government

Safebet with one year tho, go day after expired, bring medical, passport (copy of picturepage and current permit to stay) and certificate of resident (Issued by Phuket Immigration or your Embasy). 5 year approx 5-600 baht, one year 100-150 baht, ad price for photo made by Phuket DLT

Hope this helps.

Correct go the day aftger it expires and youl be given the proper lic.

I would go on the friday before it expires, then if its not cool go on the following monday...I had temp licences for 2 years, then i got a 5 year licence....when i first did my licence it was a nightmare....the konsorng in Phuket town was just a giant scrum and i couldnt work out where to go etc etc....when i went to get my 5 year licence earlier this year it was a breeze...they have cleaned the place up...added new sections and buildings...they speak english and thai...its much more falang freindly

Thanks for the reply but the whole idea of my posting was to avoid having to go to The Land Transport Office and wait around just to be told you have to come back next week. I was thinking of doing exactly what you suggest, I just thought it easier to submit a post on the forum.

problem is, all DLT have their own rules, and they change them each time a new head poncho is appointed, which will happen all over the country within a few weeks, appointed by new Government

Safebet with one year tho, go day after expired, bring medical, passport (copy of picturepage and current permit to stay) and certificate of resident (Issued by Phuket Immigration or your Embasy). 5 year approx 5-600 baht, one year 100-150 baht, ad price for photo made by Phuket DLT

I will go on the Monday, after it expire. Technically, I will be riding "unlicenced" - but, TIT. I definately want one of the 5 year licences. Do you have to watch the video and do the colour blind test and reaction test again?You would think the doctor's certificate would cover these test, but once again, TIT.

Edited by KhunHeineken

I will go on the Monday, after it expire. Technically, I will be riding "unlicenced" - but, TIT. I definately want one of the 5 year licences. Do you have to watch the video and do the colour blind test and reaction test again?You would think the doctor's certificate would cover these test, but once again, TIT.

Must admit I have never seen a doctor to get the medical, just pay 50 baht each in reception

Renewing to 5 year does require documents only, no video or tests

Police say they accept 7 days driving/riding after expired, not sure how Insurance would handle it tho

We were in the office only yesterday. Now whilst I think my wife may have got this confused she maintains she was told that you (she) can come in early and they will be given a 5Y license.

The woman specifically said to them that farang would only be given one year - this included the Burmese in the room.

She also said they were changing the rules in the coming months making it mandatory that farang do the driving and riding tests. Having said all that, my wife does get a little confused sometimes. I would take it as others have posted here before. Go the day after it expires.

I also go with the after expiry theory, either on the day of expiry or the following (working) day.

Its pretty much up to whoever is on duty on the day (and which office you go to) as to whether they make you do the additional tests.

My first 5 year renewal was just form-filling, my second I had to watch a video (in Thai with Eng. subtitles) and do the colour blind test and then an odd test where two matchsticks are in a small box 5 metres in front of you and one is still the other moves forward and you must stop it by pressing a button when it is absolutely next to the stationary one. After 3 attempts I still couldn't get it next to the stationary one - but she let me pass anyway :P

The final test is the brake reaction test - foot on accelerator, wait for red light - when red is on - press brake - easy.

After 10 minutes of the video and trying to keep awake - she asked me if I really did want to watch it - and of course I said "no" - so she let me through anyway (I was the only one there - so she got an early tea break)

The letter to prove where you live from immigration was 100 baht before - last year they asked for 300 baht. (no comment!)

The letter to prove where you live from immigration was 100 baht before - last year they asked for 300 baht. (no comment!)

Did you get a receipt for the 300 baht ?? As far as I know it's a free service and only since this was transferred to the front desk officers they ask 300 baht (even 500 baht). Last year I politely stated that it's free and the officer agreed, he was not too happy.

I was told it was free too an when I was at his desk he asked for the 300B. I don't bother anymore. I noticed though that he 'slipped' it into his drawer and the officer that I was initially dealing with did look over to him at the time. Then when I finally collected the document, I did so from the cashier and when she gave it to me I asked, and she even said it's free.

Did you get a receipt for the 300 baht ?? As far as I know it's a free service and only since this was transferred to the front desk officers they ask 300 baht (even 500 baht). Last year I politely stated that it's free and the officer agreed, he was not too happy.

I did not get a receipt for the 300 baht - no.

I wasn't aware it was free actually - however now I AM aware.

At the time I just wanted to get the letter as the girl in the driving licence office was waiting for it.

The situation was made much worse by the 'volunteer' farang assistant in there who insisted on filling out the form for me and it was just full of errors - he got the date wrong and even my name wrong - despite having my passport in front of him. I am English, the form is in English - why did a European non-speaking assistant insist on filling the form out for me. It looked atrocious full of crossings out and mistakes.

when I was asked for 300 baht from the immigration officer - I expressed 'surprise' but paid it as i needed it ASAP.Now I know it is free - next time should be a little different.

The easiest thing is to just ask for a receipt - and see what happens.

Thanks for the 'heads-up'