Amy Winehouse Dead

bartender100

Sad indeed. Fame and money doesn't buy happiness. Reminds me of Janis Joplin and the Bette Midler movie the ROSE.

Janis Joplin.

Brian Jones.

Jimi Hendrix

Jim Morrison.

Kurt Cobain.

All at the age of 27. (Though all much more significant in terms of music history, success, and arguably - talent).

Add Nick Drake to that list.

Robert Johnson

She is a sad victim of a debilitating disease which has never been fully treated. A few band aid approaches to dry her out, but little effort to treat her problem.

May she rest in peace.

Sad loss , R I P,

I think she was a Tortured soul from the start , ,listen to some of her songs , Got go to Rehab , Back to Black. Its easy to Judge some one , as they saying goes Walk a mile in Her shoes.Who knows what was going on Inside her, but its a loss.

Listening to these (and other tracks) make me feel a lot more for her than all the overwrought sentimentality we as a society are inclined towards when someone famous dies.

I wish I could say no regrets...The shadows cover me...

Rest In Peace girl...

Edited by SteeleJoe

I do not gloat or take any joy in the death of Amy, it's sad for her family and her fans, and I feel for everyone who was close to her. ButI am a little pissed off with the attention this has drawn…….More to the point the disproportionate out-pouring of grief for Amy, (I suspect OD'ed) and a young guy a long way from home, friends and family, to die from enemy action defending, OUR way of life.

This is NOT about politics, it's not about saber rattling .....A young British soldier who was killed 5 days ago in action fighting for your right to speak your mind and have a beer. Did you know this? Do you know his name? Do you care?!

A smackhead dies and it's all over the news and all over Facebook within minutes!!

RIP Corporal Mark Anthony Palin from 1st Battalion the Rifles,'...We will remember them' I will remember him!

Edited by Tonto21

Tonto it is nice that you remembered and reminded people about another loss.

Loss is painful for all concerned. The loss of one is not necessarily more significant than the other. The public's knowledge of one is greater than the other.

Soldiers are not forgotten and many countries have a day set aside to honor them and their sacrifices. I doubt there will ever be an Amy Winehouse Day.

I do not gloat or take any joy in the death of Amy, it's sad for her family and her fans, and I feel for everyone who was close to her. ButI am a little pissed off with the attention this has drawn…….More to the point the disproportionate out-pouring of grief for Amy, (I suspect OD'ed) and a young guy a long way from home, friends and family, to die from enemy action defending, OUR way of life.

This is NOT about politics, it's not about saber rattling .....A young British soldier who was killed 5 days ago in action fighting for your right to speak your mind and have a beer. Did you know this? Do you know his name? Do you care?!

A smackhead dies and it's all over the news and all over Facebook within minutes!!

RIP Corporal Mark Anthony Palin from 1st Battalion the Rifles,'...We will remember them' I will remember him!

A very valid position I think and one I largely share.

I could not agree more with you. 'A smackhead' with a reasonably good voice, but nothing more! Pity that the UK spends more on looking after 'smackheads' than our 'disabled/traumatised troops',but what do you expect now with the BS Political Correctness that typifies the upper echelons of the UK ?

Well she took a bit of my soul and of many people who got really touched by her singing ...

When she came out with "rehab" I thought that was a good song and she had a good voice but nothing more

I did not understand what all the fuss all about

It is only when I saw her live show at shepherd's bush empire, that I got it: Flawless highly creative deep personal funny soul singing, like a modern Billie holiday... At that time she was not too much on drugs and her performances were really something.

how many gigs did she massacred ? how many tours blown off ? Why do people still rush off to buy their ticket every time ? Because with that much exceptional talent, all is forgiven.

Her colleagues like Beyoncé or Shakira perfect their moves and their hair while singing meaningless lyrics, and she came with a messed up 50's beehive, tattooed like a truck driver, made up like Cleopatra, but boy, she found the right words, gave you the swing, and that voice ...A voice that belong to the greatest tormented souls, the type that creeps inside you and stay for a while.

she could swore like demented, in the middle of song to go and vomit, but when she start singing all was instantly forgiven.

I understand where you are coming from. I never understood why Elvis was so loved ( nice pop songs on the radio, but what's the big deal? ) till I saw him singing on a VDO. Magic

People who think she is just another drug casualty have not understood or listen to any of her songs.

As her dad said it yesterday to the mourning fans, "Amy was about love", not in a hippy way, but about love between two people that keep going down the drain no matter what ...

She's just been dumped by new her bf, after years of emotional wreck with her ex, did one week of that excuse for rehab place where they just put you in a room with TV, and nothing more, I mean it takes a bit more than a tv, a bed and a couple of cushions for a week to kick habits like she had. It was just probably scheduled by her record company, so she can deliver on her European tour, which obviously did not go well.

So on Friday night she buys a bunch of pills, (giving that she can't takes pills because of her condition), mix it with alcohol, tells her bodyguard she wants "to sleep" and check out

I am waiting for forensic but for me it's a suicide, a love suicide, that what makes it so sad...all her songs which she said were all personal, were about love stories that go wrong, her stories. The drugs, the alcohol were just there to soothe the pain.

At least give her that credit.

People who think she is just another drug casualty have not understood or listen to any of her songs...

Just another drug casualty? Well,it depends on what you mean -- she was drug casulaty with a great deal of talent who put out some good music. There's honestly few things in the world that I personally value more than music - and I've been that way as long as I can remember; music is hugely important to me and I even sometimes think I wouldn't have survived some of my lowest points without it and wouldn't have had many of my highest without it either -- but putting out a good record isn't curing cancer, protecting children or feeding the poor, is it?

Give her what credit? Credit for having been hurt badly -- as millions and millions of people have -- and being unable to handle it without drugs and alcohol though millions can and do?

I'm not convinced people have to indulge in massive substance abuse because they are victims. There are plenty of people who haven';t had any sort of traumatic life who do it and plenty who have had traumatic lives who don't do it. But let's say that this is true and poor Amy is to be excused because her heart had been broken and her millions of dollars and massive opportunities (neither of which 99% of heartbroken people get) weren't enough to assuage any of her pain. Fine. I don't give her credit for being a victim (of what? Problems with a boyfriend?); I give sympathy to victims (and she has mine limited though it may be) but I give credit to people who overcome heartache and hardship not allow it to be an excuse for selfishness and self-destruction.

I give credit to survivors.

PS:

To put it into perspective and to point out that I am not completely without understanding of what it is to suffer: I would wager that my life has had at least as much tragedy and heartache and Ms. Winehouse and quite likely more than most (though certainly many, many people have a harder one than me). But if I did what she did I wouldn't expect people to make me out as some sort of tragic hero -- and they wouldn't, because I'm not famous.

Edited by SteeleJoe

People who think she is just another drug casualty have not understood or listen to any of her songs...

Just another drug casualty? Well,it depends on what you mean -- she was drug casulaty with a great deal of talent who put out some good music. There's honestly few things in the world that I personally value more than music - and I've been that way as long as I can remember; music is hugely important to me and I even sometimes think I wouldn't have survived some of my lowest points without it and wouldn't have had many of my highest without it either -- but putting out a good record isn't curing cancer, protecting children or feeding the poor, is it?

Give her what credit? Credit for having been hurt badly -- as millions and millions of people have -- and being unable to handle it without drugs and alcohol though millions can and do?

I'm not convinced people have to indulge in massive substance abuse because they are victims. There are plenty of people who haven';t had any sort of traumatic life who do it and plenty who have had traumatic lives who don't do it. But let's say that this is true and poor Amy is to be excused because her heart had been broken and her millions of dollars and massive opportunities (neither of which 99% of heartbroken people get) weren't enough to assuage any of her pain. Fine. I don't give her credit for being a victim (of what? Problems with a boyfriend?); I give sympathy to victims (and she has mine limited though it may be) but I give credit to people who overcome heartache and hardship not allow it to be an excuse for selfishness and self-destruction.

I give credit to survivors.

PS:

To put it into perspective and to point out that I am not completely with out understanding of what it is to suffer: I would wager that my life has had at least as much tragedy and heartache and Ms. Winehouse and quite likely more than most (though certainly many, many people have a harder one than me). But if I did what she did I wouldn't expect people to make me out as some sort of tragic hero -- and they wouldn't, because I'm not famous.

Well laid out 'SteelJoe', I don't think there's a person alive today, (with a few miles on the clock) that didn't think about saying, "<deleted>*k-it"rolling over and just giving up…Rich, poor, talented or not and anyone who takes drugs, well your just weak!

I also find it a sad testament to society that a smack head wandering the streets is looked down on, but a smack head celebrity can do no wrong.

Every time I log on to Yahoo…I see a new up-date about her…………………….Please,enough! I think people have way to much free time on their hands now; people fill their time with meaningless crap…..Creepy star trek fans, (learning to speak Klingon, really!) And this obsession with celebrity's, OK, 100 years ago celebrities were people how were explores, 50 years ago it was astronauts, now……A smack head! Get a grip people!

Buying into this manufactured media, second by second, blow

by blow account of every speculation and self-serving statement…by a 'close friend'

serves only to feed the media moguls, they don't give a shit about her death……Only

that you do, it make them money, Hench all the news flash's.

Fact is I wouldn't trade 1000,000 Amy Winehouse's for just one of my dead mates who never had a choice about leaving this world. I'm sorry the girl died, but keep it in perspective a, she pulled the plug…….no one else!

I'm not having a go at people leaving there condolence, more at the media for pushing, but hey! It wouldn't hurt you to get out more.

Edited by Tonto21

How we feel about the passing of another is very personal. It depends on a sense of connection with the deceased.

People are neither right nor wrong in how they feel.

I've certainly never said otherwise and if implied it, I shouldn't have.

Right or wrong? Of course not. Inexplicable to me and, in my opinion, misguided and based on a skewed perception and values? Maybe.

I would never comment about someone's feelings about someone they actually knew and loved. And I probably wouldn't have said anything initially if a poster hadn't said "We love you Amy" and talked about "our soul" (yes it was just a simple emotional comment but it's what made me feel like posting) . But this a thread on a forum where we exchange thoughts and here we are doing so about a famous person -- whom presumably none of us knew.

Time for dinner...

Edited by SteeleJoe

Steelejoe, sorry if you thought my comment was aimed at you. It was merely an observation.

Music is powerful. It touches us at a visceral level.

I feel badly about her death, but it has more to do with a tortured soul and the problems of addiction, less to do with her music. Her music was enjoyable, but few musicians touch me these days. My strongest ties to music are older.

Once in a while when a performing artist dies, I feel unusually bad, but it is the connection that makes the difference. They were a part of a time and place that was significant.

For many of the younger people, her death will be more powerful than for some of us older ones. Hopefully, they will learn from her mistakes.

Steelejoe, sorry if you thought my comment was aimed at you. It was merely an observation.

Music is powerful. It touches us at a visceral level.

I feel badly about her death, but it has more to do with a tortured soul and the problems of addiction, less to do with her music. Her music was enjoyable, but few musicians touch me these days. My strongest ties to music are older.

Once in a while when a performing artist dies, I feel unusually bad, but it is the connection that makes the difference. They were a part of a time and place that was significant.

For many of the younger people, her death will be more powerful than for some of us older ones. Hopefully, they will learn from her mistakes.

How many Somalis need to die before we say: 'they took a part of our soul'?

Maybe her life is worth more than theirs?

I am not sure what the connection is between Amy Winehouse and the Somalis.

The right picture of the right person at the right time can trigger a response in most of us. It might be a dying child about the same age as one of our own.

Put those pictures to a song like "We are the World", for example, and suddenly a lot more emotion is evoked. It's human nature.