Beware The Travel Agency...

kharmabum

beware the travel agency that is located near thaipai gate, right around the corner from black canyon coffee shop, about 3 doors down on the left, on the same road as the sunday market. my wife and i bought 2 tickets from them, 3 weeks in advance, from bangkok to khatmandu. we paid, the lady who we dealt with told us our seats were confirmed, i asked three times to make sure... confirmed? yes? we don't have to call and confirm? NO NO NO. seats are definitely confirmed, she said. also, since there were no cheap discounted tickets left and we paid full price she said we could change the dates at no extra cost, as long as the dates were within 3 months(it was round trip, good for 3 months) we were to leave thailand on the last day of our visa. i said what about the physical ticket, she said she would email me both e-tickets, just print them out and present them at the airport. we did.

3 weeks later, 7:30 AM, at the airport in bangkok, we gave them those "e-tickets" she emailed me. the airline said they were not e-tickets just something the travel agency threw together. we did have seats confirmed for the NEXT day, not on the day we booked. the airline rep then told us that the travel agent had changed my ticket the night before. also, the travel agent had just purchased my wifes ticket the night before for the first time. also, my ticket had initially been booked by the travel agent a week before, not 3 weeks when we paid and she said our seats were confirmed.

luckily, there were seats available that morning, so we were able to change our tickets and board the flight. for and EXTRA COST! we told the airline our incompetent travel agent told us we could change the dates for free. the airline said there was no such policy. she also said that when buying a plane ticket from a travel agency in thailand ALWAYS call the airline directly and confirm, because it is very common for travel agents to PRETEND that they have booked your tickets far in advance, take your money, then wait until they can find a much cheaper last minute deal and pocket the difference. sometimes they find seats on different days, sometimes not at all.

the next time i checked my email i saw I had a message from the travel agent sent late the night before we were to have left. she wrote that she had to change our tickets because the dates we chose were "not allowed".

live and learn

Travel Agents all the world are closing down because of a lack of business caused by the rise of the internet as place to buy your travel needs. Australia's largest airline QANTAS has just shut down all its travel agencies nationwide because of a lack of business.

Imagine how a small independant travel agency in a place like CM must be doing and people wonder why they are getting ripped off. I cant see the reason people even use Travel Agents anymore.

Horrible.

The only advice i can give is to use Jane at Saveflight Travel who are forum sponsers.

I have been using them for for 7 years and have never had a problem. In fact they go out of thier way to be helpful and efficient. I have never spoken to Jane but she is a thorough professional.

I read way to many horror stories to ever trust a Chiang Mai travel agent. :(

I only even use Khun Jan at world express on Chan Klan road and have been for the past 6 years. I have never had a problem. In fact this year when booking a flight to Spain, she charged me the wrong price by mistake and she stood by it even though it was 7,000thb cheaper than the ticket should have been. I have used her for short hall as well as long hall and she always does her best to get the best deal possible.

Edited by thaimiller

I was using MAU travel for a long time before I got ripped off, and later Lamai travel...same deal..

It's only a matter of time till travel agency's are forced to do silly things to stay in business..

DONT USE THEM!!! USE INTERNET!!!!

I've used P&P Travel agency on the Thapae Road, almost on the corner of Soi 4, for over 10 years and never had a problem. Always very efficient, quick and trustworthy.

Luckily, Chiang Mai *does* have a few trustworthy travel agencies, as you can see from this thread. :)

Seconded, P& P Travel on Tapae Rd. Over 10 yrs no probs.

Third - over 10 years and never a problem.

I always deal with Khun Praneet, but everyone is on the ball.

Like to add Khun Pidet at Travel Shoppe - also very good.

I always use BTS Group Boutique Travel located on Sridonchai Rd. ( between moat and night bazar)

I use it for more than year and I'm very happy of them and will not change for other.

I don't have to scare that they will do something like kharmabum describe cause traveling service is only part of the things that they do.

Like to add K@K business service on Tapae Road kitty corner from AIS and up about 50 feet.

Never had a problem with him and he has saved me money. As well as got me 20 Kilo's for luggage as compared to cut rate air line that only give 15Kilo's.:jap:

I was using MAU travel for a long time before I got ripped off, and later Lamai travel...same deal..

It's only a matter of time till travel agency's are forced to do silly things to stay in business..

Exactly my thinking – this “Travel Agent” did nothing but made a booking you could have done in a few minutes on the internet yourself.

You can not only choose to check out the websites of different airline’s yourself but also one of the many ticket “price comparing” websites out there - here you can be quite lucky sometimes getting a good price if you are flexible with your dates, most even offer travel insurance, car rentals, hotels e.g. with the same booking.

I can’t even remember when I last bought a ticket through a travel agent!

Interesting... up until very recently travel agents were always still cheaper than online booking, at least for non-budget airlines. Maybe that's changing now?

I have a travel agent I use (May Travel in Pai, I think they also have a branch in CM), she's great. She does some funky tricks but that's so I can change the dates until the last minute, which is good. And I usually check internet prices before I go to her, her prices are always less, in some cases much less. I check Kayak and others - if you have a good internet ticketing site you want to share, please do so.

I often use 'Touch World', on a side-road about 200m from the Super-Highway/Mae-Jo-Road junction, and Pi Miew always gets me a better-rate than the Thai-Airways web-site is offering. :)

Moral of the story is, do your reasearch on-line & using direct airline-sites, then visit a travel-agent you can trust, and see if they can beat those prices for your preferred-dates. B)

I often use 'Touch World', on a side-road about 200m from the Super-Highway/Mae-Jo-Road junction, and Pi Miew always gets me a better-rate than the Thai-Airways web-site is offering. :)

Moral of the story is, do your reasearch on-line & using direct airline-sites, then visit a travel-agent you can trust, and see if they can beat those prices for your preferred-dates. B)

Good post

Common sense thank you.

I laugh at the people who say use only the internet. I don't even have a clue as to how many airlines there is let alone know there names.

We had a fellow here where I live go back to the states last year. After trying to make sense of the Korean web page witch was imposable we finally took him to a travel agent he had used in the past and got him a ticket no problem.

When I went to Bali last year I would have never thought of using star alliance to Singapore a 3 hour lay over and Singapore Air from there to Bali. 500 baht cheaper than Air Asia 20 kilo baggage allowance and a meal on each leg of the journey.

For those who don't know Air Asia only allows 15 kilos for baggage and if you want a coffee you pay for it. They do not have stewardess they have sales people.

Travel Agents all the world are closing down because of a lack of business caused by the rise of the internet as place to buy your travel needs. Australia's largest airline QANTAS has just shut down all its travel agencies nationwide because of a lack of business.

Imagine how a small independant travel agency in a place like CM must be doing and people wonder why they are getting ripped off. I cant see the reason people even use Travel Agents anymore.

There is still plenty of reason to use a reliable travel agent...

With instructions such as...

Please find me the best deal for Wife and I...

From Bangkok to Any UK airport with an order of preference (i.e. LHR, LGW, BHX, MAN etc) on dates xx-xx-xx returning xx-xx-xx +/- 3 days. 1 connection acceptable (i.e. connecting in the middle east)...

The options for that alone are enough to take up a lot of time researching...

On our last set of tickets...

The Travel agent is B8000 cheaper per ticket than the equivalent online deal (Business class).

I have always found Six Stars travel (in Bkk) to be cheaper than the same ticket offered online - They have always found the best deal.

Additionally - In the Case of the Op: Any travel agent should be able to give you an Amadeus reference number so you can check your trip online.

Edited by richard_smith237

Exactly my thinking – this "Travel Agent" did nothing but made a booking you could have done in a few minutes on the internet yourself.

You can not only choose to check out the websites of different airline's yourself but also one of the many ticket "price comparing" websites out there - here you can be quite lucky sometimes getting a good price if you are flexible with your dates, most even offer travel insurance, car rentals, hotels e.g. with the same booking.

I can't even remember when I last bought a ticket through a travel agent!

If you want a flight to Bangkok or a simple point to point and you know the airlines on the route its easy to use a website. BUT you cant talk to a website, they dont offer expert advise, they dont tell you you get 30kg baggage with this airline or the other, they dont tell you if you wait for one week there is a seasonal change in price and it $$$ cheaper. etc etc Try booking a complicated itinerary on the internet. A good travel agent will do this and save you a bundle of cash and a tonne of time.

we did research prices online and wrote them down, then visited 4 different travel agencies and got their prices. we even went directly to thai air office, who charged several thousand baht more than all travel agents for the same thai air flight. the rep at thai air actually told us that of course buying through a travel agent is cheaper, because they sell their tickets much cheaper to the travel agents than to customers directly! nice, huh? and by far the worst prices i get everytime i research plane tickets are from those websites that claim to search every possible ticket for sale on the net to find the cheapest price. their cheapest price is usually double what any travel agent charges. the reason i went to this travel agency was 1.they had the best price and 2. i don't like using my credit card at an internet cafe.

there was nothing wrong with the price this travel agent charged for the tickets, but rather their dishonesty.

Edited by kharmabum

I think the older generation (which I am part of -in my 50;s) feel more comfortable facing an agent...and if you are traveling around and do not have your own computer, you may feel more secure going to a travel agent than booking a flight at a public internet cafe where you put in your credit card number.

For me, I trust Orbitz, Expedia, and a Thai on line agency - Mox travel. The advantage of these type of internet travel agencies is that you can compare the prices with different airlines, and they are priced reasonably. Also, you will know the various times to depart and the number of stops along the way.

The worse (in my opinion) airline website to book on is Air Asia -- this is due to their "complicated " add on which tricks a person into carelessly booking something they do not need. When I book a flight on internet, I need something that is easy (like Nok Air) not complicated.

A good travel agent, with the right airline contacts, can be invaluable when trying to book popular routes with full flights. The airlines don't always release all the seats to their computer systems and a call to the right people can magic availability out of nowhere ;)

Have had good experiences with Northern Trek on Thapae Road.

beware the travel agency that is located near thaipai gate, right around the corner from black canyon coffee shop, about 3 doors down on the left, on the same road as the sunday market.

there was nothing wrong with the price this travel agent charged for the tickets, but rather their dishonesty.

I think it's rather irresponsible of you not to have posted the exact name of this Agent you are blacklisting, as round about that area there must be half a dozen travel agents. You say, "about three doors down from Wawee Coffee". I think that description could probably fit two. in view of your adverse comments you ought to take the trouble to find out the specific name of the errant Agent and post it to avoid confusion. Isn't it on the email you say she sent you?

Good post

Common sense thank you.

I laugh at the people who say use only the internet. I don't even have a clue as to how many airlines there is let alone know there names.

We had a fellow here where I live go back to the states last year. After trying to make sense of the Korean web page witch was imposable we finally took him to a travel agent he had used in the past and got him a ticket no problem.

When I went to Bali last year I would have never thought of using star alliance to Singapore a 3 hour lay over and Singapore Air from there to Bali. 500 baht cheaper than Air Asia 20 kilo baggage allowance and a meal on each leg of the journey.

For those who don't know Air Asia only allows 15 kilos for baggage and if you want a coffee you pay for it. They do not have stewardess they have sales people.

You did very well!

I have a oneway ticket (ChiangMai - Denpasar) with Air Asia, price is 7285THB

After reading your post I thought I would compare the SQ price. (from SQ website)

SQ only fly twice per week, their price was 12640THB.

beware the travel agency that is located near thaipai gate, right around the corner from black canyon coffee shop, about 3 doors down on the left, on the same road as the sunday market.

I think it's rather irresponsible of you not to have posted the exact name of this Agent you are blacklisting, as round about that area there must be half a dozen travel agents. You say, "about three doors down from Wawee Coffee". I think that description could probably fit two. in view of your adverse comments you ought to take the trouble to find out the specific name of the errant Agent and post it to avoid confusion. Isn't it on the email you say she sent you?

the name on the email letterhead they use is "northern sun travel". i see your point about being specific, but i don't think the name was on the building, and seeings how i'm not in chiangmai anymore i can't check to make sure. to be more acurate... it's kind of a hole in the wall looking place, not new and profesional looking. they also book tours and other means of transport.. and they've been there for as long as i can remember.

very sorry but after my experience with mau tours,a few years ago i just dont have much faith in t/a,at least when you book flight on line with the carrier,you get your e ticket straight away,and there price is very competative,

Good post

Common sense thank you.

You did very well!

I have a oneway ticket (ChiangMai - Denpasar) with Air Asia, price is 7285THB

After reading your post I thought I would compare the SQ price. (from SQ website)

SQ only fly twice per week, their price was 12640THB.

He got his good deal with SQ through an agent not on via the SQ website. You can't rely on any website to always give you the best deal or accurate flight info (SQ have at least 3 flights to DPS from SIN).

the name on the email letterhead they use is "northern sun travel". i see your point about being specific, but i don't think the name was on the building, and seeings how i'm not in chiangmai anymore i can't check to make sure. to be more acurate... it's kind of a hole in the wall looking place, not new and profesional looking. they also book tours and other means of transport.. and they've been there for as long as i can remember.

Many thanks fo that helpful response. "Northern Sun Travel" does in fact identify the agent you speak of. There are at least two hole-in-the-wall agents quite close together in that spot neither of which shows a clear distinctive name but that title rings a bell.