Discussion At Immigration Today

gennisis

QUOTES

Great Britain is an island, not a political entity.

It's more than one island.

No, it isn't. (SC: I can't believe you didn't come over all Monty Python when you wrote this!)

Great Britain is the name given to the largest of the islands.

Ok so Shetland and Mull aren't great Britain?

No, they are not Great Britain.

They are part of Britain, or the British Isles, or Scotland, or the United Kingdom. But they are not part of Great Britain.

Politically though, they are. It depends in what context you are asking.

ENDQUOTES

My apologies - I thought I had posted this yesterday, but apparently not...

A list of the inhabited British Isles:

http://en.wikipedia....e_British_Isles

Rockall, the most remote of the British Isles, lies some 300 km West of the farthest of the inhabited islands - an occasional military base in the St Kilda group.

SC

Not sure why you consider Rockall to be British. It is claimed by 4 countries. Both the U.K and Irish governments have agreed it is of no consequence. The U.N is deliberating on the matter.

Anyway, you can read about it here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockall

He doesn't, he says it is part of the British Isles; which is a geographical term, not a political one. As was explained ad nauseum earlier in the topic.

I don't think anyone else claims Rockall itself; the dispute relates to the area of seabed around it.

I don't really think that making a claim affects the ownership of anything. When ifever the UN rules contrary to the UK's claim, then Rockall will cease to be British. Whether or not the Republic has a claim to the six counties, they will continue to be British until that claim is accepted and the UK relinquishes sovereignty. The Falkland Islands remain British, regardless of the claims of their neighbours, and most countries accept that.

SC

Rockall is a rock. It is not an island, and therefore cannot be part of any group of islands, including the confused and jingoistic term British Isles.

Your point about Northern Ireland being British is equally confusing. It is actually part of the UK (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland). That little 3 letter word ''and'', implies difference, e.g. husband and wife, chalk and cheese, brothers and sisters, snakes and ladders etc etc.

Northern Ireland is and always was located on the island of Ireland, and not on the island of Britain. It cannot therefore be British.

Both the UK and Irish governments have agreed to repeal their claims over the territory, and citizens of Northern Ireland already have the right to choose their own nationality, or dual nationality if they wish.

http://www.c-r.org/our-work/accord/northern-ireland/belfast-key-points.php

Your point about the Falklands escapes me --- was there a point ?

Anyway, it seems to me the term British was invented by Government figures in London, to convince the Scots and Welsh, in joining England in a big new happy family called Britain.

It is also noticeable that the jingoistic nature of British foreign policy has changed. The new government has axed the 40,000,000 GBP that the foreign office dished out each year to the BBC to maintain it's world service.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rockall is a rock. It is not an island, and therefore cannot be part of any group of islands, including the confused and jingoistic term British Isles.

Your point about Northern Ireland being British is equally confusing. It is actually part of the UK (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland). That little 3 letter word ''and'', implies difference, e.g. husband and wife, chalk and cheese, brothers and sisters, snakes and ladders etc etc.

Northern Ireland is and always was located on the island of Ireland, and not on the island of Britain. It cannot therefore be British.

Both the UK and Irish governments have agreed to repeal their claims over the territory, and citizens of Northern Ireland already have the right to choose their own nationality, or dual nationality if they wish.

http://www.c-r.org/o...-key-points.php

Anyway, it seems to me the term British was invented by Government figures in London, to convince the Scots and Welsh, in joining England in a big new happy family called Britain.

It is also noticeable that the jingoistic nature of British foreign policy has changed. The new government has axed the 40,000,000 GBP that the foreign office dished out each year to the BBC to maintain it's world service.

Here.

You might find it useful to read this thread: http://www.thaivisa....50#entry4605054

SC

Rockall may well be a rock but even a rock surrounded by water is an island !!....a British island to boot !!

Edited by gennisis

I don't think anyone else claims Rockall itself; the dispute relates to the area of seabed around it.

I don't really think that making a claim affects the ownership of anything. When ifever the UN rules contrary to the UK's claim, then Rockall will cease to be British. Whether or not the Republic has a claim to the six counties, they will continue to be British until that claim is accepted and the UK relinquishes sovereignty. The Falkland Islands remain British, regardless of the claims of their neighbours, and most countries accept that.

SC

http://www.c-r.org/o...-key-points.php

The Acts of Union 1706 and 1707 named the unified country Great Britain, and presumably the formerly English and Scottish citizens then became British citizens.

One of the driving forces behind the union was to prevent the Scots from choosing a different king when succession was not clear-cut - as when Queen Anne, the last of the Stuart monarchs, died childless. That allowed the German house of Hanover to ascend to the British throne. I'm not sure the Welsh were ever offered a choice regarding their union with England - their acts of union were passed in 1535-1542, though the Principality had been under English rule since the 13th century; the last of the Welsh lords accepted the authority of the English crown in 1282; interestingly, Henry VII who enacted the acts of Welsh union (The Laws in Wales acts) was from the Welsh house of Tudor.

The point regarding the Falklands, and Northern Ireland, was that possession is nine-tenths of ownership, so to speak.

I don't really see what is so 'jingoistic' about the term "British Isles".

Jings - some people will read nationalism into anything!

SC

EDIT: and as an aside, while doing some background reading on this matter, I learnt that Peter Phillips, former Scottish Schools rugby (union) player, grandson of our Queen, played for Exeter University rugby league. If I've mentioned that before, I'd forgotten it.

From Wiki on the plantation of Ulster.

''Despite the fact that Scottish Presbyterians strongly supported the Williamites in the Williamite war in Ireland in the 1690s, they were excluded from power in the postwar settlement by the Anglican Protestant Ascendancy. During the 18th century, rising Scots resentment over religious, political and economic issues fueled their emigration to the American colonies, beginning in 1717 and continuing up to the 1770s. Scots-Irish from Ulster and Scotland, and British from the borders region comprised the most numerous group of immigrants from the British Isles to the colonies in the years before the American Revolution. An estimated 150,000 left northern Ireland. They settled first mostly in Pennsylvania and Virginia, from where they moved southwest into the backcountry of upland territories and the Appalachian Mountains.[52''

So as a result of the highland clearances in Scotland, and making a total mess of Ulster, Britain managed to gain some land, and then managed to lose the USA.

Good deal --- Huh.

Imagine, all those Scots Irish in the continental army, and they did not like the British. So strange !!

Just shows you -- what goes around comes around.

And now Rockall is an issue ---- the mind boggles.

I love that this is devolving into two threads within one. As it should...maybe three even. smile.gif

That's real life and how conversations in groups work, one discussion brings up another one and conversation flows and evolves ;) ....

And?

Don't look everwhere for criticism......no carry on! smile.gif

I agree. We should look at ourselves to see where we have taken offence where it was not offered, and if others feel the need for offence, let them take it, for we can spare it.

SC

• 1 month later...

I love that this is devolving into two threads within one. As it should...maybe three even. smile.gif

That's real life and how conversations in groups work, one discussion brings up another one and conversation flows and evolves ;) ....

And?

I agree. We should look at ourselves to see where we have taken offence where it was not offered, and if others feel the need for offence, let them take it, for we can spare it.

SC

My apologies for bringing this Boris Karloff thread back from the dead, but a friend sent me this link which explains everything quite succinctly in a North American accent that some of you may find less offensive than some condescending British toff.

SC

My apologies for bringing this Boris Karloff thread back from the dead, but a friend sent me this link which explains everything quite succinctly in a North American accent that some of you may find less offensive than some condescending British toff.

SC

Excellent!

SC

Excellent!

I don't think that guy took a single breath

I have seen a Welsh passport. The proud owner got very stroppy if he was accused of being a pom.

F#ck knows his reaction if he'd have been accused of being an Aussie then. He'd most probably have cut his losses and killed himself. :D

SC

Bloody hell bloke sounds like he just did a couple of wraps of Whizz.

Edited by mca

One way to identify a proper Englishman is to look at the dental hygiene and teeth arrangement. If the teeth are sufficiently crooked then most likely you are speaking with an Englishman.

Very true. Mine resemble Stonehenge.

One way to identify a proper Englishman is to look at the dental hygiene and teeth arrangement. If the teeth are sufficiently crooked then most likely you are speaking with an Englishman.

Only because most people have them vineared , white teeth are not healthy.

The Cantonese also have dancing teeth, but in their case, its to separate chicken flesh from bone shards.

In the case of the English, I believe it is caused by speaking with a plum in one's mouth

SC

The Cantonese also have dancing teeth, but in their case, its to separate chicken flesh from bone shards.

In the case of the English, I believe it is caused by speaking with a plum in one's mouth

SC

better to speak with a plum in ones mouth , instead of out your arse, must be a have a go at the English/Brit day.

SC

I always figured it was the habit of inserting "bangers" of ye wide circumference (<------------------------------->) into their mouths on a daily basis.

:D

Edited by wintermute

SC

better to speak with a plum in ones mouth , instead of out your arse, must be a have a go at the English/Brit day.

I can see why we do, when its so easy to get a rise out of them. But then, every day's have a go at the English day, isn't it?

Let's face it, if you can't suffer the sticks and stones you shouldn't take the bait

SC

I had the misfortune to see this ridiculous piece of administrative nonsense reported by a friend

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/blog/quiz/2011/oct/11/uk-citizenship-test-quiz?fb=native

"You scored 14 out of a possible 24 You have failed, the pass mark was 75% According to the Life in the UK Test, you have insufficient knowledge of the English language or of life in the UK to remain"

I must have got the questions for the poofters' test; I'd expected questions like

- What colour are export cans?

- Who was the General in charge of British forces at Waterloo?

- Who administered the relief of Mafeking, and was it a happy ending?

SC

And?

SC

http://www.youtube.c...fb&noredirect=1

SC

Please explain condescending British toff.

Is it just another remark from a person from countries that have so very little history.:lol: :lol: :lol:

SC

Is it just another remark from a person from countries that have so very little history.:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think you wanted one of these - ? instead of the full-frontal of pacman.

One normally gets someone like John Cleese to explain things to Johnny Foreigner, because his diction is so clear and precise. However, when explaining things, he always sounds like he is talking down to you, not least because of his great height, and this sometimes offends said Johnny Foreigner to the extent that they don't pay attention to the message. We have to remember that sometimes even the smartest JF does not appreciate his position in the natural order of things with respect to us Brits, and he takes offence when we try to help him appreciate his proper place. No doubt some of our colonial cousins, and perhaps some of our continental neighbours, will be popping up to illustrate this point quite precisely.

I hope the explanation was clear.

SC

SC

One normally gets someone like John Cleese to explain things to Johnny Foreigner, because his diction is so clear and precise. However, when explaining things, he always sounds like he is talking down to you, not least because of his great height, and this sometimes offends said Johnny Foreigner to the extent that they don't pay attention to the message. We have to remember that sometimes even the smartest JF does not appreciate his position in the natural order of things with respect to us Brits, and he takes offence when we try to help him appreciate his proper place. No doubt some of our colonial cousins, and perhaps some of our continental neighbours, will be popping up to illustrate this point quite precisely.

SC

Apsolutely !! I find myself saying so many times. +1.

My family English coat of Arms.

post-87530-0-76851800-1318433142_thumb.j

SC

SC

I was looking at that crest, and the bird sat on the headgear, and I thought

"I'll bet he needs a right good scrubber to clean the guano off his helmet?"

SC

[

SC

I was looking at that crest, and the bird sat on the headgear, and I thought

"I'll bet he needs a right good scrubber to clean the guano off his helmet?"

SC

Nice one.:D Lucky for me it's in a frame so just dust on the top of the frame.