Triple Entry Tourist Visa

I know that with a double-entry tourist visa I can stay in Thailand for 60 days, go to Thai immigration and extend for another 30 days, plus go again for a second extension of 7days for a total pf 97 days. Once those 97 days are up, I have to leave Thailand to activate my second entry on my double entry visa. I can repeat the same steps as before for an additional 97 days.

Question: Can I get 97 more days with a triple entry tourist visa for a total of 291 days?

Some Thai consulates give the double-entry tourist visa a validity of only 90 days or three months.

Correct Savanakhet gave me 90 days validity on a double entry TR visa, enough time to enter immediately, get a 30day extension, and exit and return on the 89th day (visa run). It works, but it's tight and no compensation if "life" gets in the way :unsure:

Some Thai consulates give the double-entry tourist visa a validity of only 90 days or three months.

Correct Savanakhet gave me 90 days validity on a double entry TR visa, enough time to enter immediately, get a 30day extension, and exit and return on the 89th day (visa run). It works, but it's tight and no compensation if "life" gets in the way :unsure:

I don't follow your math. Mine calculation goes initial 60 days apply for 30 days more plus applly for 7 more days equals 97 days and leave country re-enter and do the same thing again.

yours is 90 days immediately plus 30 days extension equals 120 days.

Question: Can I get 97 more days with a triple entry tourist visa for a total of 291 days?

If you get a triple entry tourist visa, with a validity of 6 months. You can stretch your stay to about 9 months.

Granted that you plan your arrival well to when you apply for the visa.

First entry 60 days + a 30 day extension at immigration.

Boarder run.

Second entry 60 days + a 30 day extension at immigration. (This will be when you have to leave a bit early for your border run, due to your visa expiring)

Boarder run.

Third entry 60 days + a 30 day extension at immigration.

You could then of course apply at immigration for an additional 7 days, if you think it's worth it.

As mentioned above by other posters, not all Embassies/Consulates will issue tourist visas with a 180 day validity.

So check with the Embassy/Consulate before applying, as some will only issue tourists visas with a 90 day validity.

I don't follow your math. Mine calculation goes initial 60 days apply for 30 days more plus applly for 7 more days equals 97 days and leave country re-enter and do the same thing again.

yours is 90 days immediately plus 30 days extension equals 120 days.

Ok -- Maybe a little confusing, but I refer to the "Enter Before" date on the visa itself. My experience was that the "Enter Before" date was 3months after the "Date of Issue". I entered Thailand on the day after the "Date of Issue" and I had time to stay the 60 days I got on the first entry stamp, then get a 30day extension and stay for 28 days of that before I had to leave and re-enter before the "Enter Before" date. I could then stay a further 60 days on the basis of the second entry stamp and then apply for an extension of that. This stretches a double entry visa to last just under 6 months.

I have not tried it with the triple entry yet but I will be doing that experiment when I come back to Thailand in November. If the consulate gives me the same leeway for the triple entry I hope/expect to get a total of 180 days from "Date of Issue" to "Enter Before" date. The idea is to get 30days airport stamp when I fly in and then go to Lao/Cambodia for the triple-entry TR visa. That will give me 60 days first entry, 30 days first extension, 60 days second entry, 30 days second extension, 60 days third entry (the day before the "Enter Before" date), 30 days third extension. Totalling just short of ten months. It all depends on what the consulate will stamp as the "Enter Before" date B)

^ That would not work today, and most likely not in November either.

As of now, there are no neighboring countries that will issue a triple entry visas.

Currently you can pick up a double in Vientiane and Phnom Penh.

Think last time I got a triple in Asia is probably at least 7 years ago.

(That was in Penang, that are now quite strict on visas.)

I'd suggest you try to pick up a triple entry, 6 month validity visa before leaving for Thailand, instead of coming here with no visa.

As of now, there are no neighboring countries that will issue a triple entry visas.

I'd suggest you try to pick up a triple entry, 6 month validity visa before leaving for Thailand, instead of coming here with no visa.

Thanks for the heads-up. :) Last time I was in Savanakhet on 6th May this year, they specifically said I "could" have a triple entry. I forgot to ask the validity question coz I hadn't done enough homework, but they were totally relaxed about issuing it.

FWIW I had only one previous single entry visa in my passport from about a year before. This might be a factor. ;)

Thanks for the heads-up. :) Last time I was in Savanakhet on 6th May this year, they specifically said I "could" have a triple entry. I forgot to ask the validity question coz I hadn't done enough homework, but they were totally relaxed about issuing it.

FWIW I had only one previous single entry visa in my passport from about a year before. This might be a factor. ;)

Interesting information about Savannakhet!

Never been there myself and haven't heard about this. So I just did a quick search on the forum.

There's at least one more reports about them offering triple entry visas.

Can't find anything about validity though. Would be very interesting to find out if anyone actually received one with a 6 month validity.

Or if they just offer them, as they get paid per entry, but won't give you more than 3 months validity anyway.

@marvin, don't think of it as "I can get x number maximum days out of each entry," it doesn't work like that.

The important factor is simply when the visa expires. You last entry (which could be your first entry) has to be before the expiry. If you only enter ONCE the day before the visa expires, you will only be allowed one stay. You will not be let in again. The number of entries only relates to the number of entries BEFORE the expiry date.

I think it is possible to get a triple entry in Vientiane, but you'd be wasting your money as it will be only valid for 3 months.

I think it is possible to get a triple entry in Vientiane, but you'd be wasting your money as it will be only valid for 3 months.

So it seems then that Laos, Vientiane and Savannakhet, will issue triple entry visas.

As you say though, kinda moth point, if they're only valid for 3 months.

Guess this might be their way of picking up some extra money, after the free visa period.

By trying to sell additional entries for B1000 each :)

I will becoming from the USA.

@marvin, don't think of it as "I can get x number maximum days out of each entry," it doesn't work like that.

The important factor is simply when the visa expires. You last entry (which could be your first entry) has to be before the expiry. If you only enter ONCE the day before the visa expires, you will only be allowed one stay. You will not be let in again. The number of entries only relates to the number of entries BEFORE the expiry date.

I know that with a double-entry tourist visa I can stay in Thailand for 60 days, go to Thai immigration and extend for another 30 days, plus go again for a second extension of 7days for a total pf 97 days. Once those 97 days are up, I have to leave Thailand to activate my second entry on my double entry visa. I can repeat the same steps as before for an additional 97 days.

Is this correct?

Thanks

I will becoming from the USA.

The U.S. is a bit more problematic. AFAIK, NY and LA only issues a 3 month validity on tourist visas.

Portland, OR will issue 3 entries, but not sure about the validity, you would have to contact them. Link

Hopefully someone that has received a triple, 6 month tourist visa from the US will reply to this post.

Is this correct?

Thanks

The main issue is when your visa will expire.

If you take a double entry tourist visa as an example, it will expire 90 days from the issue date.

What that means is that you have 90 days, from the day you receive your visa from the consulate/embassy, to utilize your second entry.

So there would not be time to get more than close to 90 days on your first entry.

As for the second entry, you could get a maximum of 97 days. That is if you feel it’s being worth 1900 Baht for the last 7 days.

Is this correct?

Thanks

If you take a double entry tourist visa as an example, it will expire 90 days from the issue date.

What that means is that you have 90 days, from the day you receive your visa from the consulate/embassy, to utilize your second entry.

So there would not be time to get more than close to 90 days on your first entry.

As for the second entry, you could get a maximum of 97 days. That is if you feel it's being worth 1900 Baht for the last 7 days.

\

no,when you arrive in Thailand your passport is stamped and your first entry is activated not the issue date. Then you can stay for 60 days, go to Thai immigration to extend for another 30 days, plus again for a second extension of 7 days. Once those 97 days are up you must leave Thailand (border run) and come back to activate the second entry of the double entry visa. Then you can repeat the process of 97 days again. 1900 Baht for 7 days comes to 271 Baht a day. That's 3 beers.

If my tourist visa was issued 7/21/11 and I don't arrive in Thailand until 8/10/11, my 97 days (60+30+7) does not start until my passport is stamped on arrival not from the issue date of7/21/11. You have 90 days to use the visa once you get it.

Edited by lopburi3
correct quote

Is this correct?

Thanks

As for the second entry, you could get a maximum of 97 days. That is if you feel it's being worth 1900 Baht for the last 7 days.

no,when you arrive in Thailand your passport is stamped and your first entry is activated not the issue date. Then you can stay for 60 days, go to Thai immigration to extend for another 30 days, plus again for a second extension of 7 days. Once those 97 days are up you must leave Thailand (border run) and come back to activate the second entry of the double entry visa. Then you can repeat the process of 97 days again. 1900 Baht for 7 days comes to 271 Baht a day. That's 3 beers.

If my tourist visa was issued 7/21/11 and I don't arrive in Thailand until 8/10/11, my 97 days (60+30+7) does not start until my passport is stamped on arrival not from the issue date of7/21/11. You have 90 days to use the visa once you get it.

As I've tried to explain a few times earlier and what lopburi3 says above.

• It's all about when your visa expires.

Has nothing to do with when you active your first entry in Thailand.

Since you put some definite dates in your previous post, I'll use those for you.

You visa was issued on 7/21/11 and will therefore expire 90 days later, i.e. 10/18/11.

This will be stamped on your visa right now, as a utilize before date, so you can check this date yourself.

To continue with your example, if you arrive on 8/10/11, you will be allowed to stay until 10/8/11, initial 60 days.

You can then head on down to immigration for an additional 30 days, stretching it to 11/6/11.

However this is when you run into problems. As your visa is expiring on 10/18/11.

And I'm sure you do understand, that you will not be able to use an expired visa.

So if you don't do your boarder run, on or before 10/17/11, you will not get a second stay of 60 days.

However if you do your boarder run on or before 10/17/11. You will get your 60 days, that can then be extended, an additional 30, (+7), days at immigration.

The visa starts on the day it is issued by the Consulate and there is a use before date entered on the visa at that time. All entries must be made before that date.

No you have 90 days from issue day to use the visa. Arrival date stamped in your passport starts the clock for the 60 day process and subsequent 30 day renewal.

My post was correct so not sure what you are saying "no" about. The visa could have a 90 day window to use from issue or it could be longer - depends on the Consulate. But all entries must be made during that time period so there is no way you could stay 97 days on first entry and then make a second entry with a normal 90 day validity visa. Your visa would not be valid for second entry.

Thai consulate website in Australia say this

6. A one-entry visa must be utilized within 3 months from the date of issue of the visa. A double entry visa must be utilised within 6 months from the date of issue of the visa. A multiple entry visa must be utilized within one year.

from my last visiting i did have 2 month time space to first use visa, then to get extension before expiry date and also do border run each time before exit date given. Not to hard to do

should get close to 180 days from double entry but will always loose a few day here and there with border run trips before the date.

Edit: with these words i do think you can even start second entry even if a few days before the 6 month expiry? will then get 2months+1 month extension to go onward from that date yes?

Edited by tingtongtourist

You can not enter for a visa entry after the validity of a visa - it is invalid so all you would get would be a visa exempt entry (if qualified for that).

Consulates do not all use 6 months for two or more entry tourist visas - in fact many seem to limit to the same 90 days as single entry.

The purpose of a two or three entry tourist visa is to make it easy to travel to other countries and return to Thailand during a vacation - it is not designed for long term stay in Thailand.

You can not enter for a visa entry after the validity of a visa - it is invalid so all you would get would be a visa exempt entry (if qualified for that).

Consulates do not all use 6 months for two or more entry tourist visas - in fact many seem to limit to the same 90 days as single entry.

The purpose of a two or three entry tourist visa is to make it easy to travel to other countries and return to Thailand during a vacation - it is not designed for long term stay in Thailand.

However, with adouble entry tourist visa you can stay up to 180 days if done correctly.

Portland has replaced Houston (IMO) as the go-to honorary consulate in the States. Unlike most honoraries, they have their own website (the link was posted earlier in this thread), which pretty much has all the info you need (plus, contact info -- and Mary does answer her email -- and phone).

The three entry Tourist visa is good for 6-months (or at least used to be.....). And, Portland doesn't ask to see copies of your air tickets or itinerary -- if you're a US citizen. (Many consulates now do, sometimes for each of your 1, 2 or 3 planned entries!!)

They'll accept mail applications from anywhere in the US. And the turnaround time is reportedly excellent.

For geezers over 50, with adequate finances, they'll issue a Non Imm O visa for the purpose of 'retiring in Thailand.' (This fact is not mentioned on their website, but get the details from Mary.) Interestingly, no consulates in the US -- MFA or honorary -- advertise the retirement option for getting a Non Imm O. However, Portland certainly has valid ground to stand on, per this quote direct from the MFA website re criteria for Non Imm O visas: (MFA Website)

to stay after retirement for the elderly,

What is mentioned on Portland's website, in the Non Imm O criteria column, is this:

proof of condo or home ownership.

Hmmmm. Have no feedback from anyone using this criteria. Hull tried this awhile back, but subsequently ceased and desisted for some reason.

Anyone calling Portland, how about getting some amplification.... thanx.

• 4 weeks later...