Hospitals

slim

Has anyone had much experience of Thai hospitals. Before I left the UK I was due to have a varicose vein removed but my flight was too soon after the op. so I had to cancel. Anyone recommend a private clinic or hospital?

I've been to Hospital twice in KK slim, cant remember the exact name, might be Ram. It is located on heading west on Srichan rd go over the Udorn highway (past the big sign with the beer chang girl) and is maybe 200 metres on right. I found them to be very good, they did want to operate on me but we conviced them it wasn't necessary as was already arranged in OZ. There are a couple of good Hospitals in KK for Farang according to my wife. Can find out some name if you want or go to this siteLink and use the forum to post a question or to meet with some locals there.

The Hospital I mentioned was the KhonKaen Ram and is apparently a bit pricey, I found it quite reasonable though, it was about 250 baht for a consultation including medicine. The place is very clean, modern with quick service.

I am a medical doctor from Singapore living in Bangkok. Over the last 3 months, I have actually visited most of the respectable hospitals in Bangkok. Here are a few

Bumrungrad Hospital

BNH Hospital

Bangkok Hospital

Samitivey

Pharam 9

Yanhee Hospital

Most of the hospitals above are world class establishments with comprehensive care covering most major departments. From the very cosmopolitan Bumrungrad to the exclusive Pharam 9 to child-friendly Samitivey, not only do you get good professional care, you get the Thai hospitality we so appreciate anyway else in Thailand.

Many of my friends have also been impressed with their efficiency. Although in part due to the fact that they are usually over-staffed (like most service establishments in Thailand due to relatively cheaper labour), you can expect prompt service, ever-smiling English speaking staff and a well-oiled process from registration to consultation to payment to discharge.

If I can help further, provide me with more details.

• 7 years later...

I am a medical doctor from Singapore living in Bangkok. Over the last 3 months, I have actually visited most of the respectable hospitals in Bangkok. Here are a few

Bumrungrad Hospital

BNH Hospital

Bangkok Hospital

Samitivey

Pharam 9

Yanhee Hospital

Most of the hospitals above are world class establishments with comprehensive care covering most major departments. From the very cosmopolitan Bumrungrad to the exclusive Pharam 9 to child-friendly Samitivey, not only do you get good professional care, you get the Thai hospitality we so appreciate anyway else in Thailand.

Many of my friends have also been impressed with their efficiency. Although in part due to the fact that they are usually over-staffed (like most service establishments in Thailand due to relatively cheaper labour), you can expect prompt service, ever-smiling English speaking staff and a well-oiled process from registration to consultation to payment to discharge.

If I can help further, provide me with more details.

Nice spiel about the things surrounding medical care.

You say you are a medical doctor from Singapore, then surely one would expect that you would focus your comments on the quality of medical care! But you don't make any comment whatever on that point.

On a more general note, can I suggest doing a search on ThaiVisa and other webboards on the so called '5 star' hospitals including many of the list provided above, and you will find a very long list of horror stories, serious mistakes, etc.

I've lived in Bkk for over 30 years, and I've attended half of the hospitals on the list. My family (self, Thai son, his Thai wife,their young daugher) have all experienced serious mistakes in these places, which in the west and in Singapore would probably bring serious suits for malpractice and possibly result in cancellation of hospital / doctors licence.

Today for any services for my granddaughter my son insists on very detailed explanations and insists on checking the name on the vials used for injections, name on tablets etc, etc. Plus he has one Thai friend (trained in UK) and a western friend from US who are qualified / experienced medical practitioners, he calls them for advice before any treatment is administered to his daughter.

On a different slant, the fees that many of these places charge are nothing less than outrageous. One example 26,000Baht for an MRI scan at the Big B, same thing costs 80% less in a good government hospital.

The full scan, so the local doctor claimed, did not help in diagnosing the problem. An ultra sound scan in Singapore taking 5 minutes identified the problem and with treatment cost less than 10% of the 26,000Baht MRI scan.

Sorry but I can't see the point of paying 3,000Baht just because of beautiful building

(and a Mcdonalds outlet, hardly an example of good nutrition) when the same quality is available at many Thai government hospitals for 10% of the cost. The government hospital at Sri Racha is an excellent example.

Edited by scorecard