Islamic groups demand Indonesia's Ahmadiyah group be outlawed

Islamic groups demand Indonesia's Ahmadiyah group be outlawed

2011-07-31 04:00:04 GMT+7 (ICT)

JAKARTA (BNO NEWS) -- Hundreds of conservative Muslims on Saturday rallied in the Indonesian capital to demand the government outlaw an Islamic sect, the Jakarta Globe reported. 

Almost 1,500 protesters wearing white robes gathered in Jakarta to urge the banning of the minority Ahmadiyah group. According to reports, some protesters held placards reading "Disband Ahmadiyah or Revolution."

The protests came after a court on Thursday sentenced 12 men accused of killing three members of the group to less than six months in jail. Some of the defendants were released because they had already served their sentences in detention, which began in February.

The 12 men joined a 1,000 strong mob in the February 6 attack on the group of Ahmadis who gathered at the home of an Ahmadiyah leader in Cikeusik, West Java. Three Ahmadis died and five were seriously injured in the attack, which was widely condemned by both local and international human rights organizations.

Amnesty International released a statement on Thursday saying that the lenient sentences showed that religious minorities face ongoing discrimination in Indonesia. The New York-based Human Rights Watch also expressed grave disappointment, saying it was a "sad day for Indonesia."

Furthermore, the United States Embassy expressed its disappointment at the "disproportionately light sentences," while the European Union reminded Indonesia about "the need to ensure that religious and other minorities are adequately protected by the justice and law enforcement systems."

Amnesty International has documented numerous cases of intimidation and violence against the religious group by radical Islamist groups in various parts of Indonesia. The Ahmadiyah community is also discriminated against in law, including a 2008 joint ministerial decree forbidding the Ahmadiyah from promoting their activities and other local regulations restricting the group's activities.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-07-31

The Ahmadiyah sect are not recognized as Muslims by mainstream Islam and as such their killing does not warrant retribution according to Islamic law, hence the outrage that murderers of Ahmadis even got six month prison sentences. The Ahmadiyah sect only recognise Jihad as an internal peaceful concept, which is obviously totally unacceptable for the mainstream religion of peace. :whistling:

See what I mean, they are the modernisers Islam so desperately needs.

http://www.alislam.org/books/revival/index.html

Although the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community does not in any way reject the prophecies concerning the descent of the Messiah and the appearance of the Mahdi, it does emphasise that to put a literal meaning on them is the height of naivette and ignorance.

The word literal is what all the trouble is about in my opinion, escaping the literal is what allows a religion to adapt and change with the times.

So there is an Islamic branch which advocates non-violence, and other Muslims want them disbanded because of that? What happened to Islam being a religion of peace?

This is akin to a bunch of Methodists attacking and killing Quakers because they won't fight.

So there is an Islamic branch which advocates non-violence, and other Muslims want them disbanded because of that? What happened to Islam being a religion of peace?

This is akin to a bunch of Methodists attacking and killing Quakers because they won't fight.

They oppose them because they consider their founder to be a prophet whereas mainstream Islam considers Mohammed to be the final prophet and the Quran to be unalterable and perfect. Nothing to do with non-violence.

Precisely

What happened to Islam being a religion of peace?

Where did you get that crazy idea? Islam has always been a religion of extreme violence.

Mohammed (according to Islam, the perfect man) had tens of thousands of Qurayza Jews murdered because they wouldn't follow him and he was almost permanently engaged in battle for the latter part of his life.

Since his death his religion has been spread by the sword: convert or die. 80 million Hindus and 10 million Buddhists were murdered in India alone. 120 million Africans were murdered for the sake of Islam.

And coming up to the present day, last month Moslems murdered 693 people in jihadist attacks and critically injured more than a thousand. And in the south of Thailand Moslem terrorists have murdered more than 4,000 in recent years.

Islam never was and never will be a religion of peace.

Rather like Christianity then in past times....:whistling:

Not really. I guess you might be thinking of the Crusades. Moslems had already slaughtered their way across northern Africa into Spain and threatened to continue further north. The Crusades were merely an attempt by civilisation to keep the savages at bay, though with hindsight I'm not sure why we bothered since moslems are now flooding into Europe bringing their primitive belief system and barbarous ways with them.

Not really. I guess you might be thinking of the Crusades. Moslems had already slaughtered their way across northern Africa into Spain and threatened to continue further north. The Crusades were merely an attempt by civilisation to keep the savages at bay, though with hindsight I'm not sure why we bothered since moslems are now flooding into Europe bringing their primitive belief system and barbarous ways with them.

NO, how many wars have been fought in the name of christianity. Many more than I can count. Christians are nearly as blood thirsty as Muslims( not quite as). All the time time fighting for religious superiority.Are we in the final battle?

Past? I think the Christians are still quite active in violence, too.

I say get rid of all the patriarchal myths. All are about male domination anyway, why women follow it, I'll never know.

Precisely

so these guys kill three people and get off with 6 months.. God Shapel Corby is going to be pissed she got 20 years for carrying in dope.

Why didn't she structure her defence that it was for a Muslim ceremony

Indonesia is just a frickin basket case of a place.