Does Anyone Use Or Need Kefir Grains?

tropo

It seems like everyone is looking for kefir grains but nobody actually has them for share.

What if you don't have a fringe or freezer? Is there any way to store them?

Perhaps drying them out in the sun and storing them in a medicine jar with the preservative bag in it or a air-tight plastic bag.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who will share them. Just remember you're dealing with strangers, so don't assume they will give them to you for free.

You can dry them and store them outside of a fridge. You'll find detailed instructions here: http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html

If you drink it everyday, you don't need a fridge at all because all brewing is done at room temperature. Be aware that if you're constantly brewing at temperatures above 30C, the grains may eventually die, but if you have dried grains in storage, you have a backup, and you'll never need cold storage.

Greetings,

I looking for kefir grains for milk. Does anyone have to share or sell please? I currently live in the Lad Prao area of Bangkok, but can get anywhere near the mrt/bts. Thanks.

-Wee

Where can I buy Kefir in Bangkok and how much?

Also, as a newb, is there a step by step on where to order grains and make your own Kefir?

Are benefits really the same with Kefir grains?

Here's a good place to start: http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/Makekefir.html#Utensils

Kefir grains are what you use to make drinking kefir.

Edited by tropo

I left my kefir grains frozen for a few months when I was away and when I came back I thought they had died because they didn't work the first time I used them but when I tried a second time they worked just fine.

BTW I have never rinsed them at all since I got them and have been using them for about 9 months or so.

• Like 1

There's a place here is Pattaya that sells kefir milk. Can i make kefir by mixing kefir milk with fresh milk?

Perhaps you're referring to Mama Kefir at Soi Town in Town, Pattaya Klang.

You can't make kefir from drinking kefir. You need the mother culture. i.e. kefir grains.

I'm not sure if he'll sell you the grains. He probably won't as his business is selling kefir products.

• Like 1

There's a place here is Pattaya that sells kefir milk. Can i make kefir by mixing kefir milk with fresh milk?

You can't make kefir from drinking kefir. You need the mother culture. i.e. kefir grains.

I'm not sure if he'll sell you the grains. He probably won't as his business is selling kefir products.

I was actually referring to Canterbury Tales & Cafe Bookshop on Soi Chaiyapoon. I didn't know about the other place. I don't know that road. How much do they sell it there?

• Like 1

I was actually referring to Canterbury Tales & Cafe Bookshop on Soi Chaiyapoon. I didn't know about the other place. I don't know that road. How much do they sell it there?

I have no idea what he charges. I'm not here to promote his business, but you can find him if you Google for it.("mama kefir pattaya" should do it). It's near Foodland.

• Like 1

I bought kefir a few times from Canterbury Tales and they usually leave a small amount of grains in the milk they sell you. If you bought enough you might be able to scavenge enough grains to get you started or alternatively ask if you can purchase a small amount.

I bought kefir a few times from Canterbury Tales and they usually leave a small amount of grains in the milk they sell you. If you bought enough you might be able to scavenge enough grains to get you started or alternatively ask if you can purchase a small amount.

That's interesting. Even if it was only a couple of grams, that would be enough to get started.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, I'm pretty new to the forum and I was looking for someone who could spare some Kefir grains? I have acute dermatitis which has been amplified due to the hot weather here in Bangkok and a little bird told me I should try drinking some Kefir to help with it. Anybody willing to spare some I can pickup here in Bangkok or pay for the grains by post and pay postage as well. Would really appreciate it.

• 3 weeks later...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

That's an old post, are you are still around? I'll be in Pattaya in a week or two can pick some up then.

Yes, I live in Pattaya so no trouble to meet up. I appreciate it is an old post but just took the chance it is still active.

I donated my two kefir cultures some months ago and apart from the fact that I never heard from them again, I'm using some freeze dried culture to make Kefir.

This does not give me grains though.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

That's an old post, are you are still around? I'll be in Pattaya in a week or two can pick some up then.

Yes, I live in Pattaya so no trouble to meet up. I appreciate it is an old post but just took the chance it is still active.

The original post is old, but the thread is ongoing with many recent posts.

I donated my two kefir cultures some months ago and apart from the fact that I never heard from them again, I'm using some freeze dried culture to make Kefir.

What do you mean by "two kefir cultures"? Did you divide your kefir grains into 2 separate masses?

I'm not surprised that you never heard from them again. They probably gave up making kefir and threw the grains out or let them die. Because they got them for free they didn't appreciate them and just thought of it as a cheap experiment. This is why I stopped giving them away for free.

• Like 1

What do you mean by "two kefir cultures"? Did you divide your kefir grains into 2 separate masses?

I'm not surprised that you never heard from them again. They probably gave up making kefir and threw the grains out or let them die. Because they got them for free they didn't appreciate them and just thought of it as a cheap experiment. This is why I stopped giving them away for free.

My grains are still going strong and I gave some to a friend who says it has done wonders for his IBS.thumbsup.gif

Well, I bought some kefir milk at Canterbury Tales and mixed it with some fresh milk. There were no grains in the kefir milk and no grains grew in the fresh milk mixture. It's been fermenting for over a month now at room temperature in a closed water bottle. As time goes on it becomes more sour. It tastes like I'm drinking vinegar. I'm surprised it hasn't gone bad. Is this considered kefir? Still no grains have grown.

Well, I bought some kefir milk at Canterbury Tales and mixed it with some fresh milk. There were no grains in the kefir milk and no grains grew in the fresh milk mixture. It's been fermenting for over a month now at room temperature in a closed water bottle. As time goes on it becomes more sour. It tastes like I'm drinking vinegar. I'm surprised it hasn't gone bad. Is this considered kefir? Still no grains have grown.

To grow kefir grains you need to start off with kefir grains. They don't grow from nothing. This is the big mystery - how did the first grains form? Nobody knows. All I know is that all our kefir grains, all over the world, come from a mother culture originating in the Caucasus Region. They've likely been passed down for thousands of years. They never change.

"Closed water bottle"; supposing this had a kefir culture in it, was the jar covered over with gauze to keep the bugs out and allow it to breathe, and it was kept in a cool, dark place??????????????

"Closed water bottle"; supposing this had a kefir culture in it, was the jar covered over with gauze to keep the bugs out and allow it to breathe, and it was kept in a cool, dark place??????????????

I'm surprised he was game to taste it. I wouldn't recommend kefir be kept out at room temperature for over 48 hours in this climate. If it hasn't brewed by then it's not going to. My batches are finished between 12 and 24 hours. You should adjust the milk/kefir grain ratio for fermentation to complete in that time frame.

The recent posts do not mention that the posters actually have grains for sale. If you have when will you be in Pattaya again?

The recent posts do not mention that the posters actually have grains for sale. If you have when will you be in Pattaya again?

That's because posts advertising stuff for sale are not allowed on free forum. If you read back you'll find numerous posts by people willing to give them away.

My grains are still going strong and I gave some to a friend who says it has done wonders for his IBS. alt=thumbsup.gif>

If you have grains available I would very much like to obtain some. Where are you located?

• 2 weeks later...

Ive just moved to central Bangkok (Phra Khanong area) and wondering where I might be able to get some Kefir grains and/or a Kombucha scoby? Very happy to find this thread clap2.gif

Can anyone hook me up with a supplier, or even better, donate me some if you have spare?? I can meet anywhere, or pay postage.

Only just joined Thai Visa a few minutes ago, so not sure how it works.. if you want to drop me a message you can mail to [email protected]

Many thanks smile.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When you are reactivating frozen kefir grains don't give up too quickly.

It took me a week this time to reactivate my kefir grains.

I think it also makes a difference what kind of milk you use.

When I switched to the full cream organic NZ milk things moved quickly.

I almost threw out my grains in despair but these grains are hardy so give them a chance to do their job.

I think I also made the mistake of putting too much milk in when trying to reactivate it is better according to Doms site to put a 3 to 1 ratio of milk to kefir.

When you are reactivating frozen kefir grains don't give up too quickly.

It took me a week this time to reactivate my kefir grains.

I think it also makes a difference what kind of milk you use.

When I switched to the full cream organic NZ milk things moved quickly.

I almost threw out my grains in despair but these grains are hardy so give them a chance to do their job.

I think I also made the mistake of putting too much milk in when trying to reactivate it is better according to Doms site to put a 3 to 1 ratio of milk to kefir.

I didn't know you were reactivating frozen grains. I reactivated frozen grains in one day - grains that were frozen for 2 years. These grains are amazingly resilient. I would suggest resting them for days at a time in the fridge when the weather gets hot. They seem to do well with a vacation.biggrin.png

I really don't think it matters what milk you use.The grains are looking for lactose to digest - everything else is incidental. They'll be more than happy with reconstituted powered milk too. I'm making kefir just fine in the Philippines right now with UHT milk of all descriptions. I've even used strawberry and chocolate flavoured milk.

Volume of milk to grain ratio makes a big difference of course. You can't expect to make a litre of kefir with a couple of tablespoons of kefir grains.