Does Anyone Use Or Need Kefir Grains?

tropo

Do you still have kefir grans? I'm in Chiang Mai and would really love to start making my own. How should I pay you for postage?

I'm still trying to give some away in Chiang Mai, but little or no interest!

• Like 2

Hi i live in bangkok and have milk keffir, water keffir and a perhaps enough scoby to give away to anyone interested.

Hi ,

i would be interested in both water kefir grains and scoby. I live in Phuket, do you have any idea how they could get to me? Please pm me so we can discuss details. Thanks

Andrea

Hi i live in bangkok and have milk keffir, water keffir and a perhaps enough scoby to give away to anyone interested.

Hi ,

i would be interested in both water kefir grains and scoby. I live in Phuket, do you have any idea how they could get to me? Please pm me so we can discuss details. Thanks

Andrea

Just stick em in a ziploc bag and post them. It's exactly 2 days from Bangkok EMS - not a problem. Have done 5 days in the post and still no problem. Kefir grains are hardier than you think. It's not easy to kill them.

Edited by tropo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Do you still have kefir grans? I'm in Chiang Mai and would really love to start making my own. How should I pay you for postage?

i live in bangkok, is there any way they can be delivered here?

• 2 weeks later...
longway

Posted 2014-04-25 18:05:46

Hi Longway

I'm in Bangkok and would love to get some milk Kefir grains and coconut kefir grains. Do you have any spare? Sounds like they thrive over here.

longway

Posted 2014-04-25 18:05:46

Hi Longway

I'm in Bangkok and would love to get some milk Kefir grains and coconut kefir grains. Do you have any spare? Sounds like they thrive over here.

You'll get fast brewing times in the hot weather, but if you consistently brew in temperatures above 30C they will eventually die.This time of year, without aircon, indoor temperatures as usually over 30C.

Thanks for the info. I'm sure there are many people who will benefit.

I would be interested to hear about the benefits that you folks on the ground here are having with it. Why you started to take it and so forth. Might be interested to try - read a bit online about it.

Cheers

James

I would be interested to hear about the benefits that you folks on the ground here are having with it. Why you started to take it and so forth. Might be interested to try - read a bit online about it.

Cheers

James

"benefit" in my post was referring to people being able to find kefir.

This thread is really about how to find kefir rather than about the benefits of kefir.

For all you'll ever need to know about kefir and its benefits, go here:

http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/Makekefir.html

Think of kefir as the most powerful pro-biotic food known to man (in terms of the types and quantity of pro-biotic organisms it provides). The benefits of pro-biotics are well documented.

Cheers

James

"benefit" in my post was referring to people being able to find kefir.

This thread is really about how to find kefir rather than about the benefits of kefir.

For all you'll ever need to know about kefir and its benefits, go here:

http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/Makekefir.html

Think of kefir as the most powerful pro-biotic food known to man (in terms of the types and quantity of pro-biotic organisms it provides). The benefits of pro-biotics are well documented.

Thanks Tropo - didn't mean to hijack your kefir trading thread - the link is informative - especially on the preperation, storage etc.

Thanks Tropo - didn't mean to hijack your kefir trading thread - the link is informative - especially on the preperation, storage etc.

np. It's just that when people start discussing benefits of health foods it often turns into a heated debate.

Do either of you still have kefir grains?

I will be heading to Chiang Mai on the 9th of July. I am after coconut and milk grains but will take anything I can get.

I would really appreciate it.

Hi

I live in Bangkok and I would like to have some kefir please. Because my kefir is not healthy anymore since I was away for many days. I am willing to pick them up.

Thanks..

I'm curious. How many days were you away for? What do you mean when you say they are not healthy any more? You should be able to nurse them back to health.

I make one batch every 3 weeks and they are very healthy being left in the fridge for that long... and.they can last this way for much longer than that.

And a note to everyone: FREEZE SOME GRAINS FOR BACKUP!!!!!

Hi

I live in Bangkok and I would like to have some kefir please. Because my kefir is not healthy anymore since I was away for many days. I am willing to pick them up.

Thanks..

I'm curious. How many days were you away for? What do you mean when you say they are not healthy any more? You should be able to nurse them back to health.

I make one batch every 3 weeks and they are very healthy being left in the fridge for that long... and.they can last this way for much longer than that.

Hi Tropo,

Could you please explain the details of how you process kefir only once every three weeks? I process it every day (about one cup's worth) and would love to do it less often.

It sounds like you process a fairly large quantity to last you for three weeks. Do you have two containers going all the time-- one that holds the already processed kefir--which I assume you drink every day--and one that holds the grains and milk for the next processing.. ??? Also, what is the ratio of the quantity of grains to milk?

Thanks in advance for your patience in explaining this.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Hi

Thanks..

Hi Tropo,

Could you please explain the details of how you process kefir only once every three weeks? I process it every day (about one cup's worth) and would love to do it less often.

It sounds like you process a fairly large quantity to last you for three weeks. Do you have two containers going all the time-- one that holds the already processed kefir--which I assume you drink every day--and one that holds the grains and milk for the next processing.. ??? Also, what is the ratio of the quantity of grains to milk?

Thanks in advance for your patience in explaining this.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I drink 300 ml daily. I make a 5L batch (sometimes 6L) in a large plastic rice bucket. The last batch which I made today was 570 grams of kefir grains in 5L of milk. It took 20 hours to complete the brewing. The net gain in grain volume after this one batch was about 80 grams. I store the finished product in 3 plastic containers and the grains are stored in a large glass jar filled to the top with milk in the coldest part of the fridge. Before I place the grains in fresh milk again I strain them and keep the liquid (drinking kefir), which is ready to drink after 3 weeks in the fridge.

The ratio can be lower than this - it'll just take a bit longer to brew.

I've been doing it this way for about 18 months now. I've also noticed that quality of the kefir grains improves using this method. They become larger and develop ropes. They'll also protected from overheating, which can happen when brewing continuously in hot temperatures.

Edited by tropo

Thanks so much, Tropo. I never thought of trying that kind of processing before.

One last question--- how large is the jar that you store the grains in until the next processing?

Using your method, I can see that it would be easy to adjust the amounts and process every week or two weeks instead. I am getting some nice "ropes" now, so I think my grains are pretty healthy at the moment. :)

Thanks so much, Tropo. I never thought of trying that kind of processing before.

One last question--- how large is the jar that you store the grains in until the next processing?

Using your method, I can see that it would be easy to adjust the amounts and process every week or two weeks instead. I am getting some nice "ropes" now, so I think my grains are pretty healthy at the moment. smile.png

I came across this method purely by accident and experimentation. I've never heard of anyone doing it this way....I think it's the perfect method in hot climates and so easy. Keeping things easy ensures continuity, because brewing every day does get tedious.

Yes, and of course you can adjust this method to any quantities you want if you don't want to store large quantities. Once a week, twice a week - whatever. I'm sure once a month would be ok too if you have the storage space in the fridge. My bucket will take a maximum of 6L of milk. I have 2 buckets and a stainless steel sieve which fits perfectly on top, so I stir the mixture and pour from one bucket to the other.

I'm using a 1.2L glass jar to store the grains. It's about 3/4 full of grain. I place it at the back of the top shelf and sometimes some of it will freeze. That doesn't matter at all. In fact I've frozen grains for 2 years and put them back into service without any problems. 1 or 2 days and they're back up to speed.

Edited by tropo

My previous figures were wrong. After rechecking I discovered that my kefir grain mass had increased by 124 g after brewing one batch of 5L starting with 554 g of kefir grains. That's a phenomenal growth in 20 hours - 22%. I use the zero fat milk.

My previous figures were wrong. After rechecking I discovered that my kefir grain mass had increased by 124 g after brewing one batch of 5L starting with 554 g of kefir grains. That's a phenomenal growth in 20 hours - 22%. I use the zero fat milk.

Thanks for the update, Tropo.

You use zero fat milk-- now that's interesting! I thought that kefir is best made with whole fat milk. I'll try the non-fat next time.

By the way, how do you prepare your grains for freezing for back-up?

Edited by morning glory

The fat content is incidental. The kefir grains feed on the lactose and zero fat milk has a slightly higher lactose content. It really depends on whether you feel you need the extra fat or not. I drink enough fat milk as it is, so I don't need it in my kefir. When I visit the Philippines I use UHT milk. Not a problem. You can use any milk which has lactose in it. LOL. I've even experimented with strawberry and chocolate milk.

To freeze: Rinse the grains well in clean water, pat dry with paper towels, place in bag and freeze. It's a good idea to stick a date on the bag too. Dom recommends adding powdered milk to the grains before freezing, but I don't think it is necessary and can't see why it would be as the grains will become dormant when freezing and have no use for milk powder.

Dom says quite a few things that I've already disproven. For example he claims that you can only freeze kefir grains for 6 months. This is clearly nonsense as I've had no trouble bringing back grains frozen for 2 years. I would bet that you could freeze them for 10 years or more. It's not like meat that gets freezer burn after a long period and loses/changes flavour. Flavour is of no concern with kefir grains..

Dom also states that if you keep the grains in the refrigerator you should give them fresh milk every week. I don't change the milk and have kept them for a month in the same milk. I also don't discard the storage milk which converts to drinking kefir anyway. I drink it and it's usually one of the nicest kefir drinks of all. I waste nothing.

(Dom is quite a character. When I read his forum I get the feeling he's living with the fairies)

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

It seems like everyone is looking for kefir grains but nobody actually has them for share.

What if you don't have a fringe or freezer? Is there any way to store them?

Perhaps drying them out in the sun and storing them in a medicine jar with the preservative bag in it or a air-tight plastic bag.