Flood Warnings 2011

iainiain101

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple of hours ago the outer ring road was dry near the cm-lamphun road, huge traffic jams all day here, probably also going west.

At that time there was floods as far south as 89 plaza, and the rail tracks and roads next to them are a river. The water was yet to reach the underpass on the cm-lamphun road, but could be seen at the flat bit looking west.

Are people who are flooded in their homes with electricity, or does that go with the floods?

When I was living in a house that flooded the electricity kept working, however I of course shut it off myself when the water looked like it would reach some of the low placed sockets in the kitchen and the maid room. You can do this selectively if you're lucky, leaving the upstairs groups working.

Chiang Mai mayor: city flood damage Bt1 billion

CHIANG MAI, Sept 29 – Chiang Mai mayor Tassanai Buranupakorn on Thursday apologised to city dwellers for his failure to prevent the Ping River from flooding the commercial area of Thailand’s largest northern province, which he initially estimated losses of at least one billion baht.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-07-29

Ok,went into town from 121 in on 1317. Everything fine till just over the first bridge heading into town. Inbound lane had about 4-5 inches, almost over the curb, but towards the middle and right lane it was no worse than average rain. But on the outbound side, other side of the divider, was a lake!

Not too bad, feet got a little wet, no big deal.

post-82655-0-54933600-1317298299_thumb.j

In the 2nd bridge heading in that goes over the RR tracks.

post-82655-0-53415300-1317298425_thumb.j

post-82655-0-63209800-1317298499_thumb.j

Inbound lane is fine, outbound. welll.......

About 100 meters from the previous photo

post-82655-0-04494100-1317298581_thumb.j

Bridge over Ping by Region 5 Headquarters. On the right you could see the retaining wall yesterday, which is a good 4' high. Today? Nope!

post-82655-0-34780100-1317298702_thumb.j

On the left side of this photo there is actually a road there, if you go down about 4'

post-82655-0-10185400-1317298820_thumb.j

Chiang Mai Land "Water Park"???

post-82655-0-36856200-1317298924_thumb.j

Once past all this, everything was fine. In town no problems, but Huay Kaew Road had more than the usual amount of traffic. Took that to highway, then back to Phayo exit and back down to121 and home.

Not sure why nobody else mentions it for "People East of the Ping", but Mahidol to the airport (from Nong Hoi) was still open all day although I haven't been there for a few hours now. The wife was headed out that way in the last hour and never reported back any problems so I think its still fine. Coming back on Mahidol (East) is risky on small bikes though. It was flooded pretty bad all the way from Chiang Mai Land to the bridge over the Ping and then again after the bridge BUT only Eastbound on Mahidol. It was nothing on an XR250 and there were even few small bikes that were making it successfully this afternoon.

Not sure why nobody else mentions it for "People East of the Ping", but Mahidol to the airport (from Nong Hoi) was still open all day although I haven't been there for a few hours now. The wife was headed out that way in the last hour and never reported back any problems so I think its still fine. Coming back on Mahidol (East) is risky on small bikes though. It was flooded pretty bad all the way from Chiang Mai Land to the bridge over the Ping and then again after the bridge BUT only Eastbound on Mahidol. It was nothing on an XR250 and there were even few small bikes that were making it successfully this afternoon.

Police had it blocked West-bound from the Airport Plaza intersection at around 5pm today. So I would try to avoid it unless you absolutely have to be on that road.

This actually affects me as I need to go to Don Chan intersection tomorrow, coming from Mae Hia. My plan looks like this:

post-64232-0-54752600-1317300221_thumb.p

I know it's the long way around, but want to avoid the Middle Ring because there may be trouble near Global House, and want to avoid the outer ring due to traffic congestion.

Hi

Chiangmai Lamphun Road from Mengrai (Holiday-Inn) bridge until Super Highway : 10 to 70cm of water. Impossible for a car, only truck and big 4x4 can go...slowly!

Over the bridge , going to the city is not possible except with boat. More than 1m I think.

Some pictures taken this morning.

Philippe

can vouch for that, we are in Wiang Tong, waded out from home yesterday through waist deep water, returned today, went in by boat, and near our house was more than 2 metre. gate and fence completely under water.

Regarding the link that showed half hourly pics of the flood gauge at Narrawat Bridge, is it down or has been designated with another link??? Anyone know ????

Thanks,

Gonzo

Seems Somchai moved the cam to safer grounds. The website is still up and running but somebody is too busy with other stuff to upload the pictures (if there are still any. In case the regular table is down again, here's another .com version which basically has the same info but with fancy red flashing.

http://hydro-1.com/index.php?id=61&rivercode=0602

Stay safe and dry :-)

Weather forecast for tonight: Very little rain if any.

Thursday Night. Overcast with a chance of a thunderstorm. Low of 23°C and humid. Winds less than 5 km/h. Chance of rain 40% with rainfall amounts near 1 mm.

http://www.wundergro...ions/48327.html

I don't really believe in forecasts in this part of the world anymore, but I think the following links are helpful. The first one is the same that I posted earlier and shows the big picture. The second one is actual weather radar in Northern Thailand. If in the coming days you see major rainfall North of town, then that would be problematic:

http://www.weather.c...e_animated.html

http://www2.tmd.go.th/radar/lmp.php

Also interesting: http://www.wundergro...aprod=flashtool and: http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat=20.1&lon=111.0&zoom=6&type=hyb&rad=0&wxsn=0&svr=0&cams=0&sat=0&riv=0&mm=0&hur=1&hur.wr=0&hur.cod=1&hur.fx=1&hur.obs=1&fire=0&ft=0&sl=0

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

4.84 / 806.

Seems to be ramping up again...extra 10m3 per sec over last hour, 5ms previous hour. Canal going through L&H Mae Jo seems to be equalising with Ping, although perhaps 300mm from spilling over onto roads. The main one going by my back garden, however, is currently winking at me. :unsure:

I wouldn't get your knickers in a twist about Nesat quite yet.

It's more a case of watch and wait.

the perfect scenario would be as follows:

1. it hooks north, as many tropical storms do, once impetus is lost, therefore away from northern Thailand.

2. it dumps its rain, energy and rage on Vietnam and Laos and is of little consequence by the time it reaches here.

3. it moves slow enough to allow the present lump of rainfall to pass through the Ping up here, so additional rainfall falling on Monday or Tuesday can be dealt with by the river system without needing to flood.

A less than great scenario would be that it keeps on its present course, moves quickly and brings a shed load of rain for us over the weekend.

In the meantime, watch & wait.

just i voice.

re ... In town no problems,

your right but some people got their feet wet : (

pic 1 .. looking down to the burrawong hotel junction on chiang klan road

pic 2 .. looking past pantip plaza towards the river

pic 3 .. looking up sri donchai road towards the s e corner of the moat

pic 4 .. looking down loi kroh road towards chiang klan road / the night bazzar

pic 5 .. looking up loi kroh road

pic 6 .. chiang klan road / the night bazzar from thapae road end

pic 7 .. looking down loi kroh road from soi 2

enjoy .. dave2

post-42592-0-15057300-1317303249_thumb.j

post-42592-0-36638700-1317303263_thumb.j

post-42592-0-74427100-1317303281_thumb.j

post-42592-0-53211200-1317303295_thumb.j

post-42592-0-40154000-1317303311_thumb.j

post-42592-0-18168400-1317303325_thumb.j

post-42592-0-65693900-1317303348_thumb.j

I wouldn't get your knickers in a twist about Nesat quite yet.

It's more a case of watch and wait.

the perfect scenario would be as follows:

1. it hooks north, as many tropical storms do, once impetus is lost, therefore away from northern Thailand.

2. it dumps its rain, energy and rage on Vietnam and Laos and is of little consequence by the time it reaches here.

3. it moves slow enough to allow the present lump of rainfall to pass through the Ping up here, so additional rainfall falling on Monday or Tuesday can be dealt with by the river system without needing to flood.

A less than great scenario would be that it keeps on its present course, moves quickly and brings a shed load of rain for us over the weekend.

In the meantime, watch & wait.

Correct. Nesat is 3-4 days away on current projections.We have seen this weather pattern many times before when nothing eventuates and lets hope this is the same. "rain is coming " is pure speculation. We simply don't know,neither do the bureau at this stage ,too early.

Ah, OK. Thanks for letting me know. I better let the kid know before he runs the nanny all over town for nothing. Thanks again !

No, the sports day tomorrow is postponed until 21 october. Apparently you can see this on their website.

Yes, and Varee will be closed for regular lessons tomorrow too. See below: (bit dissappointing to see their level of English, but ok) :

post-64232-0-18372300-1317279409_thumb.p

I hope we can forgive the Thai who wrote this, might just have had other things on their mind.

Sorry to intrude, but I'm seeing an offer of help and I am actually quite desperately trying to get out of my house. I stay in Mooban Tipparat Villa, off Vieng Ping rd., it's just a Thai working class mooban and I can't communicate with any neighbours, and in any case it looks like everyone around here has already left. I've heard it is possible to get out of here by boat but when I try calling the police nobody picks up, I guess they are too busy now.

Anyways, Winnie, if you think your truck could make it and you don't mind, please PM me since I would greatly appreciate your offer for help, I'm locked up in the house alone with a cat who is already terrified, I do have food and water inside, but with the brown water everywhere and no use of the toilet it's not a happy, and especially healthy, situation. I have lots of friends who have offered to let me stay at their place, but I first have to get out of here!

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Good news: I have heard from Mermaid70 via PM. He's safely at a friend's house, bringing the cat with him. Involved wading through waist deep water.

Someone ,Thai, just told me they have just opened the dam north of CM,sorry I forget the name. We will have major floods at midnight. Does anyone have info to this?

They'll likely be doing controlled releases of Mae Ngat reservoir on & off, but will unlikely open the flood gates, so to speak... though it seemed that way last month. Locals hear 'dam opening' and see it as gate open or close, as opposed to in graduations which is how it works.