Flood Warnings 2011

iainiain101

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know if anyone has posted this yet... but this is from the statistic map from previous flooding in the past. Number 1 area is the most disastrous through number 7 area which is the lessen effected. It can also be determined by the water level indicated for flooding risk.

post-122002-0-08204600-1317290704_thumb.

I'm up the hill from Pantip Plaza near the CM Dramatic Arts college, somehow the flood has apparently seeped up here during the night and we're under quite a lot of water right now, and been steadily rising all day. Oddly, if you walk (wade) out of here DOWN HILL to Kampangdin Rd the flood is gone and the streets are bone dry, only to return again before Pantip Plaza.

Don't know if anyone has posted this yet... but this is from the statistic map from previous flooding in the past. Number 1 area is the most disastrous through number 7 area which is the lessen effected. It can also be determined by the water level indicated for flooding risk.

Let me stress that this year is VERY different than the map shows. (I'm not even sure how accurate it was for 2005) I just sent a private message to the poster who's stuck along Viang Ping road; that area is hit very badly, yet it shows as Area 7 on the map. Then other areas on the map that show being affected are clear. I think that map currently does more harm than good.

I wasn't even able to get to Viang Ping road, the whole area is cordoned off. Also Aom Muang road East of Airport Plaza is closed.

However, people can easily get in and out of town in the following ways, I just checked this myself:

From the South:

Hang Dong Road and (probably) Canal Road

From the East side of the River:

Doi Saket Kao Rd and Rattanakosin Road and the Rama IX Bridge are all clear. EVEN the road behind Kad Muang Mai is clear! So you can get in/out via Kaew Nawarat (Arcade bus station) and take a right at the Tung Hotel Rd intersection, then left on to Rattanakosin. Then either left at Muang Mai (Muang Samut Rd), or left at Atsadathon Road.

From the North:

Don't know. Chotana Rd may be open, but I can't confirm.

i have to wade through water to get out to the city, if I bother with this are the street food stalls still up and running or have they abandoned post today?

I know they will be dry but can they still get ingredients, get out from their homes ...

As per the above, (but not knowing exactly where you are), if those food stalls and restaurants are anywhere down-town in a non-flooded area, so pretty much everything West from Kamphaeng Din and the Mae Kha Canal, then getting to any market AND getting out of town to any place is not a problem. I just drove past Rim Ping (Airport), Tesco, Big C and Makro and no issues getting there or getting anything.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I guess this is why I got stuck on the Middle Ring this morning... :

post-64232-0-45594100-1317293020_thumb.j

Can someone confirm if the Outer Ring is completely clear on the South side? There was a major traffic jam this morning, but don't know if that was due to water near the old Lamphun road, or just because too many cars took that road.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I guess this is why I got stuck on the Middle Ring this morning... :

post-64232-0-45594100-1317293020_thumb.j

Can someone confirm if the Outer Ring is completely clear on the South side? There was a major traffic jam this morning, but don't know if that was due to water near the old Lamphun road, or just because too many cars took that road.

Clear at about 1 pm, but getting thru the lights at Lamphun rd horrendous :(

Ok, a serious update:

Middle Ring is closed between the river and the old Lamphun Rd underpass. (Where Global House is). Outer ring was moving very, VERY slowly towards the Old Lamphun road intersection.

So I stopped bothering to try to get out there and went into town instead. Hang Dong road is a proper highway today, little traffic! The Old Town area is fine, of course. No drama.

I can't believe i listened to all your "Asia Old Hand" "More Thai than Thai" BS. Got stuck on that middle ring road today. Tok about an hour to get out of there. "Old town is what, 10% of Chiang Mai?

There is another smaller stream that runs past Gekko bar and near Pantip funning fairly parallel to the Ping, this is flooding too, the area behind the newly raised river road and also into the back left corner of Moo Baan Wang Tan, about a foot of water on some of the roads, but no properties affected yet.

David

Ok, a serious update:

Middle Ring is closed between the river and the old Lamphun Rd underpass. (Where Global House is). Outer ring was moving very, VERY slowly towards the Old Lamphun road intersection.

So I stopped bothering to try to get out there and went into town instead. Hang Dong road is a proper highway today, little traffic! The Old Town area is fine, of course. No drama.

I can't believe i listened to all your "Asia Old Hand" "More Thai than Thai" BS. Got stuck on that middle ring road today. Tok about an hour to get out of there. "Old town is what, 10% of Chiang Mai?

Um, that's exactly what I wrote, already in the morning: "Middle Ring is closed between the river and the old Lamphun Rd underpass"; You even quoted it, so how is that inaccurate? It's really puzzling, I feel like the whole world is suddenly turning dyslexic on me. :( As for the percentage of the old town, that depends on what you count as the entire town but the math is not difficult. Please stop going off topic and flaming me.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

There is another smaller stream that runs past Gekko bar and near Pantip funning fairly parallel to the Ping, this is flooding too, the area behind the newly raised river road and also into the back left corner of Moo Baan Wang Tan, about a foot of water on some of the roads, but no properties affected yet.

Yes, that's the Mae Kha stream. I saw it flooding a little bit near Atsadathon Road, but so far it didn't look like it would cause major problems. Of course as water gets diverted that may change. In the past (speaking 10 years ago now) that stream did flood, especially South of town where it passes Pa Daed.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Anyone got news on Pa Dad area? We waded out last night with only a bag. Husband is trying to get there and see how house is. We were already being flooded in our moo baan 25hrs ago. Moved across to a mates near the Rimping area heading towards NIS but i'm now alone and awaiting any news. Thanks

Interesting...I drove all the way from Mae Rim to Hang Dong today,by the way of #107-Klong Rd,Airport,Hang Dong Rd...everything very dry,even the klong itself almost empty ??!! Can anybody explain that?

BTW,my place Ban Korovit II in Sanpong got flooded some(3-6"),but the neighbours got at least 2-3 feet.Came back around 5:30pm and it dried out some...I wander if it's gonna happened again tonight...This is only the 2nd time since 2005.

Chalapratan Klong has been "shut off" at Mae Taeng ... so water level is low .... Not sure why they have done this as when it is allowed to flow it eases the pressure on the Ping and allows some relief in terms of volume. River still rising at Mae Ping Villa / Imperial Sports Club. Since last post up by another 7-8cm.

Interesting...I drove all the way from Mae Rim to Hang Dong today,by the way of #107-Klong Rd,Airport,Hang Dong Rd...everything very dry,even the klong itself almost empty ??!! Can anybody explain that?

BTW,my place Ban Korovit II in Sanpong got flooded some(3-6"),but the neighbours got at least 2-3 feet.Came back around 5:30pm and it dried out some...I wander if it's gonna happened again tonight...This is only the 2nd time since 2005.

Yes, the canal has a very low flow. I THINK it is to avoid flooding in the Hang Dong and San Patong area that got hit hard in 2005.

Water level rising again at Nawarat, still rising at San Sai (slowing)

That's what I was just noticing. San Sai has been rising since around noon and still rising and now Narawat is just starting to come back up. Going to be an interesting night ariound ChiangMai tonight.

Yes, the canal has a very low flow. I THINK it is to avoid flooding in the Hang Dong and San Patong area that got hit hard in 2005.

Yes, if the irrigation canal is full Ban Nam Prae has problems with the run off from Ob Khan National park. See what happened yesterday.

post-7754-0-19288900-1317295407_thumb.jp

post-7754-0-34861700-1317295447_thumb.jp

local council or some authority were handing out food and drinking water behind Gymkhana golf club around 4 p.m., they said some more supplies coming tomorrow, and they were taking some to Wat Muang Kai as well in case someone needs it. wading there may be a serious issue though. if someone running low and no shops available nearby, worth asking Thai neighbours who may know where or what time help will come tomorrow. (didn't hear if there was an announcement on the local tannoy.)

These numbers might be helpful for some people if they are in need of help: (just pasted from husbands facebook and stuck the English in)

เบอร์โทรศัพท์ของหน่วยงานที่เกี่ยวข้อง เผื่อเพื่อนอาจต้องใช้นะคะ (Useful numbers for relevant departments you might need in the floods)

1 งานจราจรจังหวัดเชียงใหม่ 0-5324-2720 และ 0-5324-6101 (highways/traffic)

2. ศูนย์อุทกวิทยาฯ 0-5324-8925 (hydro/water management)

3. เทศบาลนครเชียงใหม่ 0-5325-9121,0-5325-9122,0-5325-9129,0-5325-9130 (Tesabahn/municipality)

4. ป้องกันและบรรเทาสาธารณภัยจังหวัดเชียงใหม่ 0-5321-2626,0-5322-1470,0-5311-2017,0-5321-3872 (Disaster prevention/management)

5. การไฟฟ้าจังหวัดเชียงใหม่ 0-5324-1226,0-5324-1816 (Electricity)

The published flood maps for Chiang Mai city area have been made obsolete in the past 3 years due to extensive dredging, widening and embankment installation/raised on the Ping River.

It would appear through observation of the various projects and this flood that the east side of the river has been sacrificed for the west side/business district. Prior to improvement there has been numerous occasions of back flow flooding via sewer systems, when the river level gets high. This may still be part of the problem on Chan Klan, etc. One breach in the new dikes along the river seemed to take place at the underpass, below the airport road, as you enter Paded. I was surprised to see water flowing out of Chiang Mai land across the airport route.

A lot of the traffic congestion encountered may have been caused by private vehicles that were moved from homes forecast to flood and parked on the main roads. I noticed this at 0700 this morning as I make a coffee run to town. The local tom toms used to be fairly accurate where flooding and the Night Bazaar were concerned. Good luck to those affected, hope Gonzo is keeping his powder dry.

Couple of hours ago the outer ring road was dry near the cm-lamphun road, huge traffic jams all day here, probably also going west.

At that time there was floods as far south as 89 plaza, and the rail tracks and roads next to them are a river. The water was yet to reach the underpass on the cm-lamphun road, but could be seen at the flat bit looking west.

Are people who are flooded in their homes with electricity, or does that go with the floods?

Couple of hours ago the outer ring road was dry near the cm-lamphun road, huge traffic jams all day here, probably also going west.

At that time there was floods as far south as 89 plaza, and the rail tracks and roads next to them are a river. The water was yet to reach the underpass on the cm-lamphun road, but could be seen at the flat bit looking west.

Are people who are flooded in their homes with electricity, or does that go with the floods?

Still stranded behind the Nong Hoi markets, never lost power and only lost weTV for 10 min today.

It's wonderful to have power and the internet at times like this.

Livin on my own private island I is, arrr.

The last thing I would do if my home was about to be inundated would be to leave the electricity switched on. Yes, I mean that literally, the LAST thing I would do in my life ever... Figure it out.