Flood Warnings 2011

iainiain101

Ok, a serious update:

Middle Ring is closed between the river and the old Lamphun Rd underpass. (Where Global House is). Outer ring was moving very, VERY slowly towards the Old Lamphun road intersection.

So I stopped bothering to try to get out there and went into town instead. Hang Dong road is a proper highway today, little traffic! The Old Town area is fine, of course. No drama.

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went and had a recce . Tapae Rd completely dry but not sure what happens when you cross Nawarat on the East side. :blink:

In front of Mae Ping Post Office there is water but still looks passable. Changklan Rd not advisable. Even a Land Rover was having second thoughts and opted out after D2. Tapae soi 1 behind Nigh Bazaar has water. Loi Khroh Rd flooded up to Wat Loi Kroh, looks like they have blocked it to traffic (heading east or south) there. River breaching onto road adjacent to Chiang Mai Christian School. Ping River still moving very fast and not a lot of space left under bridge. But so far looks as though north of Nawarat OK but probably not on roads closest to river.

Hi

Chiangmai Lamphun Road from Mengrai (Holiday-Inn) bridge until Super Highway : 10 to 70cm of water. Impossible for a car, only truck and big 4x4 can go...slowly!

Over the bridge , going to the city is not possible except with boat. More than 1m I think.

Some pictures taken this morning.

Philippe

post-10321-0-71760800-1317268810_thumb.j

post-10321-0-96187600-1317268824_thumb.j

post-10321-0-51758400-1317268927_thumb.j

Out of curiosity, how would someone get downtown from anywhere East of the river? Can you cross the river on the Middle Ring on the North side, towards the Canal Road, and then into town via Huay Kaew or Suthep Rd?

Provided you can get out of your home location in the East in the first place, the route you describe is easily dooable.

Out of curiosity, how would someone get downtown from anywhere East of the river? Can you cross the river on the Middle Ring on the North side, towards the Canal Road, and then into town via Huay Kaew or Suthep Rd?

This what I did last night at 9pm. Chotona - Lotus-Flower Market - Super Highway - All way long to Airport Plaza ... on this way... but cannot do this morning... stuck in Nong Hoi now.,,, and this what I did in 2005 .. only way to go inside the city.

Philippe

Last night at 6pm I followed the river from Hang Dong to mahidol. it was only in the last kilometre at mahidol I had problems. I understand the water has risen since then but around the bridge at the second ring road the water was still 50, 60 centremetres from going over. I think the second ring road would be OK now.

Hang Dong road was the best I have ever seen it at 9.30 last night on my way back home. I got every green light. No water at all on the road. i live in SAn pak whan

On a funny note. I got home from work yesterday to find my labrador with a fish in her mouth. She will retrieve anything. I live nowhere near any major water canals. Just a small one running behind my house. She is to fat to jump the fence so I can only assume it did rain fish.

All those flooded. Put a line out, have a beer and think of me in front of 20 kids preparing for tests.

Is there a path clear from the Hang Dong road (1st ringroad intersection), to the airport?

Yes, completely clear. Never seen it so empty actually. 120 kph into town. ;)

Last night at 6pm I followed the river from Hang Dong to mahidol. it was only in the last kilometre at mahidol I had problems. I understand the water has risen since then but around the bridge at the second ring road the water was still 50, 60 centremetres from going over. I think the second ring road would be OK now.

It wasn't as of 9:30 this morning. Trouble near Global House.

All those flooded. Put a line out, have a beer and think of me in front of 20 kids preparing for tests.

:thumbsup: Yay that!

This thread is for informative purposes thanks, if you aren't flooded and don't have any drama then kudos to you but please do not pretend that others are not affected by belittling the situation. More off topic posts will be deleted. Information only, as requested by the members who need this thread.

thanks

This thread is for informative purposes thanks, if you aren't flooded and don't have any drama then kudos to you but please do not pretend that others are not affected by belittling the situation. More off topic posts will be deleted. Information only, as requested by the members who need this thread.

thanks

I was going to like this but then remembered I wasn't on facebook.

Seems like the water is receding a little but still no feedback on if the dams are still due to be open, should we be expecting a surge?

thanks

Seems like the water is receding a little but still no feedback on if the dams are still due to be open, should we be expecting a surge?

Varee School is closed today, but my son tells me they are having their sports day tomorrow as planned. Guess that will depend on what happens between now and then. All we can do is hope for the best.

thanks

Varee School is closed today, but my son tells me they are having their sports day tomorrow as planned. Guess that will depend on what happens between now and then. All we can do is hope for the best.

No, the sports day tomorrow is postponed until 21 october. Apparently you can see this on their website.

How about some news from the north side of the city?

Well it's all pretty uneventful just north of the Superhighway, apart from the chaotic traffic. Just took a drive (miday) along the Superhighway to the Faham underpass. It's well flooded, and the road is blocked off, never the less, the usual idiots get round the barriers and try to drive through the water.

One pic here from 2005 and another just taken today, the only difference being that there are sandbags there now.

post-7622-0-02543000-1317275964_thumb.jp

post-7622-0-74313900-1317276055_thumb.jp

looks like Typhoon Nesat should have blown out by Sunday when it could get here

http://www.wundergro...g/wp201120.html

Sure hope it does die out or at least turn more northerly. Still looks like quite a bit of moisture heading this way and that's just what we don't need.

See attached for update on Nesat storm track.

Good news. Nesat already downgraded to Tropical storm (wind speeds 39-73mph) and is due to be downgraded to a Tropical Depression (wind speeds <39mph) soon after it makes landfall in the Red River Delta SE of Hanoi.

Given that we are over 500 miles from the predicted landfall location , plus the intervening relief, it is likely that this storm will have lost much of its punch (tropical cyclones derive their energy from warm seas) by the time it reaches this area on about Tuesday.

But as ever it's worth keeping an eye out just in case things change.

post-133913-0-38378200-1317276061_thumb.

Well it's all pretty uneventful just north of the Superhighway, apart from the chaotic traffic. Just took a drive (miday) along the Superhighway to the Faham underpass. It's well flooded, and the road is blocked off, never the less, the usual idiots get round the barriers and try to drive through the water.

Yeah, that'd be me. I just noticed that the truck's brakes don't work very well for a while after driving through it. So that's something to be mindful of after you clear a flooded area.

Some pics from Loi Kroh. Indeed some sois have some water in them. But then at Kamphaeng Din it's mostly dry, and Thapae Rd is completely dry.

Some pics:

post-64232-0-16697800-1317277049_thumb.j post-64232-0-14085300-1317277039_thumb.j post-64232-0-93693100-1317277028_thumb.j post-64232-0-12296900-1317277062_thumb.j

The Maejo road between the Rimping supermarket (Meechock) south to the #11 has been closed to traffic and is being redirected. Not sure what the situation is.... anyone know?

Any one have an update to this? Is the road open or still closed? I am at Mae Jo and need to get into town.

I live in Pa Daet Nong Hoi area of town. Flooding quite bad in most areas. Water just coming up to door level and has been rising steadly all day. I have sand bags out and taken what precautions i can.

I am after any information on when (if known) the floods will stop rising. Need to know cause we will have to evacuate if the floods rise much more.

thanks in advance

keep on smiling :)

Down to 4.84

Checked our land near Hang Dong/Mahidol at 7:00 and at 10:30 today. At 7:00 am the entire moo baan was dry except for the far away corner where our land is - 20 cm of water on that. All quiet.

At 10:30, everybody was up and about with sandbags and water in the corner had spread - 40 to 50 cm at its deepest. Rode my Versys through it against the advice of the locals ("you cant go there") - I remembered somebody saying on ThaiVisa that the air intakes on this bike as pretty high up, and getting the exhaust under water would be OK. That was put to the test and found to be accurate.

Conclusion: Even if the river levels go down, flooding can still spread. Or maybe it's going down _because_ flooding is spreading? I don't know. In any case - the levels at the river were going down from 7:00 to 10:30, the levels just south of flood zone 7 near hang dong road were going up.

This photo taken at 7:00 - later on it was the same thing, except more water... on the plus side, I got to play with my panorama app (the amazing, free PhotoSynth)

post-20814-0-57560200-1317278387_thumb.j