Flood Warnings 2011

iainiain101

That's not a picture of any gate though, it is the dam overflowing. There isn't any choice about it. Nothing to shut off there and no means of control. The dam is full and the level can't get any higher. One of the safest non flood areas in chiang mai now is the restaurants on the side of the dam

There's a river which runs from the dam. Can't remember the name, but it comes near the road opposite Floraville on the 118 near Doi sakhet. it is raging of course. there's a restaurant on it (laab gai) which sells raw chicken laab incidentally...and the restaurant waiter told me that the river runs all year.. anyone can shed any light on this? the river flowing south from the dam?

I've just got back from the Doi Saket Dam. Went there with the village vice head man. He is friends with the people there there so I thought I would share what I was told. The gates at the dam are not being opened and closed. They are open full stop. They will be open for at least the next 5 days. Maybe more depending on the rain. The amount of water being given off from there is incredible. The picture below gives in Skant justice. This was taken by my Nephew this morning.

Also I would suggest if you can, pay the dam a visit. It's a pretty incredible sight. Of course the downside from this is that I think there will be no quick escape from the floods.

I live about 6 km from Doi saket and we are in danger of being flooded by the water level in the drains rising. It's creeping up slowly but surely and is now at street level.

Keep safe everybody.

297271_263543257019233_100000906833717_798669_1003806309_n.jpg

Edited by SPIKECM

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Checked with another TV member who lives near the Kuang River (coming from the Doi Saket Dam) and apparently it joins the Ping near Lamphun or below Chiang Mai city. Most of last night's city flood surge came from the Mae Taeng River which was very very high yesterday morning due to downpours up in the mountains and possibly due to the canal flow diversion being dropped. There were no abnormal releases from Mae Ngat Dam which is not full.

Edited by T_Dog

Hourly report is good: Peak at 4.87 at midnight, it's been going down since then. San Sai is below critical for the first time at 6:00 am!! It's at 3.99, critical level is 4.00

Maybe the ping will be below critical at noon today?! Either way it should go down a lot.

Edited by nikster

Hourly report is good: Peak at 4.87 at midnight, it's been going down since then. San Sai is below critical for the first time at 6:00 am!! It's at 3.99, critical level is 4.00

Maybe the ping will be below critical at noon today?! Either way it should go down a lot.

Yes, that is good news. And the flow rates are promising. 400 cubic meters a second coming in from upstream and roughly twice that going past Narrawat Bridge. It will take a few days for all the water to drain though as the flooding covers a lot of area.

I am headed up the Mae Taeng River for a bike ride and hope to get some photos on the flow from up there.

Sounds a bit positive at least.

Just checked the Hydro page. The water level in Ban Pong, San Kamphaeng is flooding (it has risen from 4.72 m - 6.22 m between 00.00 and 6.00).

Is this a result of releasing water from Mae Kuang, or because of a local flash flood?

Sounds a bit positive at least.

Just checked the Hydro page. The water level in Ban Pong, San Kamphaeng is flooding (it has risen from 4.72 m - 6.22 m between 00.00 and 6.00).

Is this a result of releasing water from Mae Kuang, or because of a local flash flood?

That'll be from the dam. No significant rain yesterday or last night in the catchment area. This area has flooded at least twice this year. South of SK the village PAs are warning of flooding from the Kuang.

Thx for all the replies guys! I m going to setup a call today with the hotel to discuss the possibilities and maybe relocate to a hotel that has more certainty on dry ness :-)

The Ratti Lanna is owned by Boonlert, isn't it? I would imagine the city's resources will be focused on this hotel and unless there is further flooding over the next few days, you should be OK. If you contact the hotel and they suggest the Downtown Inn as an alternative (also associated with Boonlert), do some Googling.

...is the Dun 2 wan under water ?

You could not get to it yesterday without braving a flooded street.

Hubby just did a scouting mission to see if I could go to the Duang Tawan fitness center today without contracting some deadly skin disease from wading in the water. He entered Loi Kroh about midway between the old city and the night bazaar and found it dry all the way to the exit point of the circular drive in front of the hotel. The entrance of the drive had water and the soi that is east of the hotel (and continues past the Le Meriden) is under water. So, the situation seems improved from yesterday. Night Bazaar area is still inaccessible. Warorot market is dry.

Heading out next week ...is the Dun 2 wan under water ?

...err amazing Thailand etc... :o init

The lobby would be ok I'd have thought, but might be best to avoid the basement bar and consider renting a dinghy for forays to 7-11/McD's. ;)

Keep an eye on weather; likely remnants of the bottom end of typhoon Nesat will be dumping some water on us shortly. I see there's another typhoon about to hit northern Philippines.

I was evacuated by rescue boat yesterday 2pm from Galae Thong Tower in Changklan road. 1 meter inside reception, near 1,5 outside. No electricityfrom the day before and nearly no more water> The boat pass in front of the Rati Lanna, and i can confirm the car park and the hotel is dry.

I have a motorbike that is jacked up. The bottom of the engine is about 30 centimetres of the ground. Would be a good bike for people wanting to do runs out for food in the flooded areas.<div><br></div><div>If it can be used by anyone over the next few days I can deliver it when I finish work this afternoon at about 5pm.</div><div><br></div><div>It is a 125cc that has modified suspension. Very easy to ride but is a clutch bike. I use it for finding walking trails in the jungle as I walk with my dogs every weekend in the mountains.</div><div><br></div><div>Only 2 things I ask in return.</div><div><br></div><div>1) It comes back. i have had it for 6 years.</div><div>2) When the flood is finished that who ever has it spends 300 baht getting a mechanic to regrease the wheel bearing, Change the engine oil and brake fluid and any other parts that may be affected by the water.</div><div><br></div><div>If it is useful I will leave it up to those in the flood area to assign it to those that can use it. If someone is so inclined they could use it as a taxi and go out buy food for others. That sought of thing.</div><div><br></div><div>Hope this helps</div><div><br></div><div>  </div>

I have a motorbike that is jacked up. The bottom of the engine is about 30 centimetres of the ground. Would be a good bike for people wanting to do runs out for food in the flooded areas.<div><br></div><div>If it can be used by anyone over the next few days I can deliver it when I finish work this afternoon at about 5pm.</div><div><br></div><div>It is a 125cc that has modified suspension. Very easy to ride but is a clutch bike. I use it for finding walking trails in the jungle as I walk with my dogs every weekend in the mountains.</div><div><br></div><div>Only 2 things I ask in return.</div><div><br></div><div>1) It comes back. i have had it for 6 years.</div><div>2) When the flood is finished that who ever has it spends 300 baht getting a mechanic to regrease the wheel bearing, Change the engine oil and brake fluid and any other parts that may be affected by the water.</div><div><br></div><div>If it is useful I will leave it up to those in the flood area to assign it to those that can use it. If someone is so inclined they could use it as a taxi and go out buy food for others. That sought of thing.</div><div><br></div><div>Hope this helps</div><div><br></div><div>  </div>

Hello MarkMayo,

Very decent of you. Nice to read something positive while the levels are still rising. Do no need the bike since I can wade to the grocery store.

Thanks

R'tje

Anybody have an idea as to how much more the water level is expected to rise in San Sai Noi? I've got about 20cm before my kitchen floods. Any idea as to duration or when it might peak?

The river level in San Sai has been dropping but a slight 2cm rise at 9am

http://hydro-1.net/08HYDRO/HD-06/HOURLY.html?id=61

Edited by Loaded

Updates:

Outer ring on the South side between the river and the Old Lamphun Road still very slow moving, jammed with cars to the point that I didn't bother joining the jam.

Road along the West bank of the river is completely clear, so you can get from teh Outer Ring all the way to Aom Muang Road. (tiny bit of water left right at the very end). Some sois in the Pad Daed area are still flooded though, this may actually originate from the Mae Kha stream, not sure.

Rama 9 bridge and Rattanakosin road are prime places to cross the river; low traffic too. Muang Mai market looks clear on the back side at least.

Anybody have an idea as to how much more the water level is expected to rise in San Sai Noi? I've got about 20cm before my kitchen floods. Any idea as to duration or when it might peak?

http://hydro-1.net/0...URLY.html?id=61

The guage in San Sai doesn't seem to correlate with the situation in San Sai Noi. It has been rising at about 15mm per hour where I am since I woke at 6am.

The guage in San Sai doesn't seem to correlate with the situation in San Sai Noi. It has been rising at about 15mm per hour where I am since I woke at 6am.

Seems to be the same in CM - river level is going down but flood levels around the city (not directly on the ping) are still rising?

http://hydro-1.net/08HYDRO/HD-06/HOURLY.html?id=61

I think somebody is mickey mousing the chart......I thought I read it as a 2cm increase also and then when I look again, it had been changed