Retirement Extension - Pattaya

It has been confirmed to me personally by the British Consulate and by Barry Kenyon (Immigration Police Volunteer) that Chonburi Immigration no longer require a Bank letter for extending a visa by virtue of retirement. An updated bank passbook is all that is required now. So a saving of a couple of hundred baht, not to be sneezed at in these precarious times! As far as I know this only applies to Chonburi, I don't know what the position is in other parts of Thailand.

Chonburi Immigration no longer require a Bank letter for extending a visa by virtue of retirement. An updated bank passbook is all that is required now.

This only applies to those using the monthly income route, for those using the 800,000 baht in the bank then the bank letter is still required, confirmed by Barry at a presentation at the Pattaya Expats Club last Sunday, he is now employed by Chonburi Immigration as Assistant Information Officer

Chonburi Immigration no longer require a Bank letter for extending a visa by virtue of retirement. An updated bank passbook is all that is required now.

This only applies to those using the monthly income route, for those using the 800,000 baht in the bank then the bank letter is still required, confirmed by Barry at a presentation at the Pattaya Expats Club last Sunday, he is now employed by Chonburi Immigration as Assistant Information Officer

Am I right in thinking immigration no longer requiring a letter going the 65K per month route? so what if your money is not transferred into a Thai Bank? Some Very confusing information guys.

Can someone get a correct version of this info? Don’t believe it

Am I right in thinking immigration no longer requiring a letter going the 65K per month route? so what if your money is not transferred into a Thai Bank? Some Very confusing information guys.

Can someone get a correct version of this info? Don't believe it

Not confusing, you will still have to provide immigration, photocopies of the last 3 months transactions from your bank savings pass book.

If you use the mixed method financial retirement requirement, pension + balance in the bank I assume you will still need a confirmation letter from your bank

Edited by Mario2008
reply moved out of quote

Can someone get a correct version of this info? Don't believe it

You don't need to supply a bank letter, but you do need proof of income. In the case of income from abroad that is a letter from your embassy, in case of income from within Thailand you should show tax-papers.

There is no requirement to recieve your income in Thailand or to transfer it to a Thai bank account. But believe they do want to see a bankbook of an account with some money in it.

In case of combination, the bank letter is still required.

Still confused last 2 posts conflicting, if using the 65k income method. Still require verification of income any letter from home Embassy . Don’t see what’s changed?

(Not confusing, you will still have to provide immigration, photocopies of the last 3 months transactions from your bank savings pass book.

If you use the mixed method financial retirement requirement, pension + balance in the bank I assume you will still need a confirmation letter from your bank )

This post has been edited by Mario2008: 11 minutes ago

Reason for edit: reply moved out of quote

Just been talking with a german friend, he renewed his retirement 2 days ago. At Measai they still required a varification letter from his emabassy. MAybe Pattaya have different rules?:lol:

The thread is about bank letters, not embassy letters, and yes Pattaya Chonburi policy now is no bank letter needed for those using the income or combo methods. Also, yes, it is not at all unusual for different offices to have different enforcement policies. For example for years Pattaya's public policy was no seasoning needed for those using the bank method when the national rule on seasoning was in effect. Now they are following the national policy on that.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok...one month on...I am checking as I have a renewal coming up early next week. If using monthly income method, all I need to show is the embassy letter certifying income plus original/copies of my Thai bank book showing my account balance (on the morning of the renewal). I take it that I no longer also need the "bank letter" certifying that the money shown in the updated bank book is actually in the bank (or whatever that stupid letter ever said)?

Edited by FarangBuddha