Storage Tank For Tilapia

You will also need Aeration. I suggest you go to your local market supplier and look at their set-up. Ours turns over his fish in about 2-3 days, .Filters and aerates 24 hours day. His "grower" comes and supplies him every day. With a 3 ton truck, that also filters and aerates . This is in Nikkom ,Amphur Ban Kruat ,C. Buriram

You will also need Aeration. I suggest you go to your local market supplier and look at their set-up. Ours turns over his fish in about 2-3 days, .Filters and aerates 24 hours day. His "grower" comes and supplies him every day. With a 3 ton truck, that also filters and aerates . This is in Nikkom ,Amphur Ban Kruat ,C. Buriram

I am trying to figure out what you said here.

what does "Ours turns over his fish in about 2=3 days? mean.

also what does" His 'grower' comes and supplies him every day." mean

I grow pa duk all i have in my tanks for simple aeration and cleaning is a pump and water filtration, Works great. But am interested to know about Tilapa they could be fun too. So please can you explain in laymans terms for me.

The "how many" depends on the system you use. The most cost effective in the long run would be to build a bio-filter. This gravel filled filter has to equal the tank's volume i.e. 4m x 1.5m x 300mm deep.=6 cu m gravel.

Using a submersible pump (JSR Pumps 1200bt each) and plastic waste pipe you pump the dirty water onto the filter. You plant veggies in the filter..The plants turn the fish waste into nitrates and clean water filters back to the fish.

The constant cleansing of the water allows a stocking density of up to 400 per cu M ( 50g fingerlings grown on to 5-600gm)

You sell the fish and the veg/herbs are a bonus.

I am trying to figure out what you said here.

what does "Ours turns over his fish in about 2=3 days? mean.

also what does" His 'grower' comes and supplies him every day." mean

I grow pa duk all i have in my tanks for simple aeration and cleaning is a pump and water filtration, Works great. But am interested to know about Tilapa they could be fun too. So please can you explain in laymans terms for me.

Ours means our local market fish supplier. He sells fish to all the local retailers. Grower means the person who breeds and sells fish to the market supplier , delivers the fish in a 3 ton truck, with pumps to supply his tanks with oxygen.His tanks are all concrete.

The "how many" depends on the system you use. The most cost effective in the long run would be to build a bio-filter. This gravel filled filter has to equal the tank's volume i.e. 4m x 1.5m x 300mm deep.=6 cu m gravel.

Using a submersible pump (JSR Pumps 1200bt each) and plastic waste pipe you pump the dirty water onto the filter. You plant veggies in the filter..The plants turn the fish waste into nitrates and clean water filters back to the fish.

The constant cleansing of the water allows a stocking density of up to 400 per cu M ( 50g fingerlings grown on to 5-600gm)

Are you actually doing these numbers or "quoting".? 400 x 500gram Pla Nin in 1 cu M of water. I would say impossible with or without oxygen or aeration.

Are you actually doing these numbers or "quoting".? 400 x 500gram Pla Nin in 1 cu M of water. I would say impossible with or without oxygen or aeration.

http://www.soyaqua.org/pdf2/02RedTilapiaLVHDtrNanning.pdf

Please read the research carried out by American's in China. They used 1 cu M cages suspended in river. The article explains it all. You create aireation by having your growbeds higher than the surface of the fish tank return the filtered water by gravity or if this is not possible you use a sunp tank and a second pump. The main part of this system is to acheive a balance in both volume of water in the tank and gravelbed and also the water flow .

I use a very similar filtration and aeration but didnot get to scientific with it. Just set up a large drum that i punched holes in the bottom,with large stones in the bottom with smaller gravel above that and sand on the top, above that i put webbing to catch the big stuff. A simple submersible pump just keeps pumping it through. I put all the different items in webbing for easy removal for cleaning. I had a friend do it this way for years in Quatemala. You could probably drink the water that comes out. With mine I donot grow veggies because I have to clean webbing and sand regularly.

Forgot to mention it is a gravity system also . The drum is placed over the tank. The submersible pump just pumps the water up to the drum and gravity does the rest.

Edited by lovelomsak

http://www.soyaqua.o...HDtrNanning.pdf

Please read the research carried out by American's in China. They used 1 cu M cages suspended in river. The article explains it all. You create aireation by having your growbeds higher than the surface of the fish tank return the filtered water by gravity or if this is not possible you use a sunp tank and a second pump. The main part of this system is to acheive a balance in both volume of water in the tank and gravelbed and also the water flow .

My own plan is to use 18 cu M tanks x Four. I will stock the first tank with 6000 x 50g fingerlings which means a density of 330 per cu M. This will be replicated in each tank for 3months..By the end of the 3rd month or when the largest fish reach +300g we will start to select and sell. When the first tank is empty I will restock depending on experienc of past growing cycle.

My own plan is to use 18 cu M tanks x Four. I will stock the first tank with 6000 x 50g fingerlings which means a density of 330 per cu M. This will be replicated in each tank for 3months..By the end of the 3rd month or when the largest fish reach +300g we will start to select and sell. When the first tank is empty I will restock depending on experienc of past growing cycle.

Hey Bob of Grimley good luck and hopefully you'll keep us posted on your results. again Choke Dee Fish & Fords Forever

http://www.soyaqua.org/pdf2/02RedTilapiaLVHDtrNanning.pdf

The soyaqua site is about raising fish in cages (which they produce and merchandise)I see nothing in their data regarding bio-filters.

Their data pertains to suspending their cages in suitable rivers and waterways where currents give a natural waterchange in not less than 1 minute . ie.1cub m per minute flow through a 1 cub met cage.

There are thousands of cage farms operating (very successfully usually)on the Mekong, But they too,rely on water quality and when quality is compromised it can have disastrous results.

You are planning on raising Tilapia in tanks which is an entirely different thing,I would be pretty confidant that the system you describe would not give you the water exchange rate or required oxygen to sustain Tilapia in anywhere near the stocking rate you mention.

Others before you have tried tank raising Tilapia without much success and often huge heart-ache.

We tried keeping our daily sales fish in a 3cub met tank some years ago, complete with filter and aerator but found that any stocking rate over 10 x600 gram fish per metre resulted in high mortality within 48 hours.

Some of our resellers keep their stocks temporarily in 1/3 cub met rings with a very high water exchange rate but are restricted to about 3kg per ring.

The soyaqua site is about raising fish in cages (which they produce and merchandise)I see nothing in their data regarding bio-filters.

Their data pertains to suspending their cages in suitable rivers and waterways where currents give a natural waterchange in not less than 1 minute . ie.1cub m per minute flow through a 1 cub met cage.

There are thousands of cage farms operating (very successfully usually)on the Mekong, But they too,rely on water quality and when quality is compromised it can have disastrous results.

You are planning on raising Tilapia in tanks which is an entirely different thing,I would be pretty confidant that the system you describe would not give you the water exchange rate or required oxygen to sustain Tilapia in anywhere near the stocking rate you mention.

Others before you have tried tank raising Tilapia without much success and often huge heart-ache.

We tried keeping our daily sales fish in a 3cub met tank some years ago, complete with filter and aerator but found that any stocking rate over 10 x600 gram fish per metre resulted in high mortality within 48 hours.

Some of our resellers keep their stocks temporarily in 1/3 cub met rings with a very high water exchange rate but are restricted to about 3kg per ring.

I quoted the example to show the upper parameter of what can be achieved. On re-reading the report it does not mention river, only fishfarm?

My system will change the water at a rate of 12000 L per hour i.e. nearly 300,000 L or 300 cu M of water per day. Each tank will have pair of filter-beds 20M x 1.5M

The pumps are rated at 120w therefore about 3Kw per day. The system will be backed up by a generater that kicks in when the powerr fails.

Water quality will be checked and recorded twice a day.

If you know of anyone in Thailand that has tried this same system I would be interested to hear about it

Bob

Edited by grimleybob

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I just read to filter the waste water of the fish in gravel tanks or a gravel tank where one can grow veggies. That's right with one very important note: If you do not filter the water BEFORE it is put into the gravel, the system will clogg soon. What you mention is an Aquaponic System. Please visit Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Aquaponics-Thailand/170218083004597. If you have furter questions, please note it on the FB Site. Have a nice day

Hi all,

I just read to filter the waste water of the fish in gravel tanks or a gravel tank where one can grow veggies. That's right with one very important note: If you do not filter the water BEFORE it is put into the gravel, the system will clogg soon. What you mention is an Aquaponic System. Please visit Facebook http://www.facebook....70218083004597. If you have furter questions, please note it on the FB Site. Have a nice day

you add worms to the beds to eat the solids and then wash out the beds after each 30 - 35 dAY GROWING CYCLE