Going Back To The Uk

pmgthailand

Most of you Rose Tinters will be happy to see me go. I am finally had enough and leaving Phuket. after 5 1/2 years.

My reasons for leaving:

• deadly driving practices here and just the amount of traffic gets worse each year ( 8 people I know have been killed in RTA's here in Phuket)
  • the proliferation of bar girls and beer bars selling sex is spreading on the island
  • high cost of living in comparison to the service or guarantees you get for your money
  • visas and work permits (don't get me started)
  • xenophobic Thais and their open dislike of foreigners
  • lack of basic rights (as a foreigner we don't really have any in Thailand)
  • corruption pervades every fabric of this society
  • murders (the amount of execution type murders is on the rise)
  • drugs
  • pollution - I find Phuket and Thailand to be filthy
  • dishonesty
  • lack of intellectual stimulus with any Thai that I have known
  • a general "what's in it for me" attitude and no sense of community

Reason's to stay in Thailand:

• sorry but I can't think of any

Good bye Phuket and Thailand, it was an experience that I would not recommend to anyone.I have recently quit my job and will be looking for a job when I go back. This uncertainty is preferable to me than the certainty that there is no future for a foreigner trying to make a life for himself in Thailand.

Edited by pmgthailand

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm certainly not a "Rose Tinter." All the things you mention are true. However, have you had a look around? Thailand has many other more relaxing places where the locals get on better with farang and live side by side, and not with the "us and them" attitude that exist on Phuket. What about "next door."

Langkawi - Malaysia is a beautiful little tropical island that is tax free. A Malaysian tourist visa is 90 days on arrival. They have the most relaxed foreign ownership of land regulations in the region.

Vietnam is up and coming. It has a long coastline with many great beaches, seafood, nightlife and is cheap. You can get a 3 month Vietnam tourist visa on arrive (bought over the internet) and then you can extend this visa 3 times from within the country, so, basically, live there for 1 year, for a few hundred US dollars.

I have no doubt that Phuket/Thailand will be losing expats, expat entrepreneurs, and tourists, to Vietnam in the near future. They make it harder and harder here, while the other countries are embracing tourism and foreign investment.

I used to love Phuket, now, I can't see myself staying in Phuket in the future, but that doesn't mean I am going back home.

I'm sure there is a place for you here, in the region, you just have to find it.

I'm certainly not a "Rose Tinter." All the things you mention are true. However, have you had a look around? Thailand has many other more relaxing places where the locals get on better with farang and live side by side, and not with the "us and them" attitude that exist on Phuket. What about "next door."

Langkawi - Malaysia is a beautiful little tropical island that is tax free. A Malaysian tourist visa is 90 days on arrival. They have the most relaxed foreign ownership of land regulations in the region.

Vietnam is up and coming. It has a long coastline with many great beaches, seafood, nightlife and is cheap. You can get a 3 month Vietnam tourist visa on arrive (bought over the internet) and then you can extend this visa 3 times from within the country, so, basically, live there for 1 year, for a few hundred US dollars.

I have no doubt that Phuket/Thailand will be losing expats, expat entrepreneurs, and tourists, to Vietnam in the near future. They make it harder and harder here, while the other countries are embracing tourism and foreign investment.

I used to love Phuket, now, I can't see myself staying in Phuket in the future, but that doesn't mean I am going back home.

I'm sure there is a place for you here, in the region, you just have to find it.

I'm sure that you are right, but I just got to out of SE Asia. I will go back, chill out for a while and get some perspective. I'm a yacht captain and need to be in places like Phuket to work. Been to Langkawi, Malaysia, Singapore etc. and didn't really fancy living in any of them.

I guess Asia just isn't for everyone.

I'm sure that you are right, but I just got to out of SE Asia. I will go back, chill out for a while and get some perspective. I'm a yacht captain and need to be in places like Phuket to work. Been to Langkawi, Malaysia, Singapore etc. and didn't really fancy living in any of them.

I guess Asia just isn't for everyone.

I was going to ask if that Job you quit is still available. But Guess I don't have the experience to captain a Yacht .

Did a Diver Coxswain course many years ago. :D

I see a lot of people seem to have moved off Phuket recently. but settled in other quieter places in Thailand.

I spent two days there a few years ago, I love the Sea, but Phuket wasn't for me. I left early.

I would have just took a few months off and gone back to the UK. I'm going shortly myself. I do suspect 3 months in greyland will make Thailand and Phuket very attractive once more.

I'm no longer so sure about Vietnam. I've been spending a lot of time there the last couple of years, mainly based in HCM, but with shorter visits to Hanoi, Nha Trang, Hue, Mui Ne, Dalat, etc.

And whereas I find the place very pleasant, nearly every expat I've met in HCM describes life there as 'boring', and expresses antipathy towards the Vietnamese. I wonder whether it's a similar situation to what often happens in Thailand, where someone comes for very enjoyable holidays but then finds full-time residency to be a very different experience.

That being said, the people I refer to work in management, doing business with the Vietnamese, mostly in manufacturing and F&B. Perhaps expat life is different in the beach areas, and/or for the retired.

I think the Op is the type of person who's glass is always half empty instead of half full

Going back to the UK after over 5 years here he has a few shocks coming and will be unhappy there to

On the contrary, I think the OP is realistic and Phuket just isn't what it used to be or what it holds itself out to be. There is no planning and with the uncontrolled development the situation will only get worse. There are indeed many beautiful places in Thailand, but sadly, Phuket is falling down the list with each year, slowly killing itself, much like a drug addict does.

Despite the naysayers. the UK is doing just fine and will sort itself out. Whatever problems the UK may have, there will always be an England, a land of hope and glory. (And really bad heating systems and plumbing.)

I'm curious what you mean about the "pollution", presume that for Phuket you refer mainly to the water, since my impression is that the air is very good (at least outside parts of Patong)? Or is the growing traffic starting to take its toll in other parts of the island?

Despite the naysayers. the UK is doing just fine and will sort itself out. Whatever problems the UK may have, there will always be an England, a land of hope and glory. (And really bad heating systems and plumbing.)

Speaking of returning to the UK, I found these observations to be interesting, and the original essay by Andrew Sullivan on how the UK has changed since the '80s (for the better, in his opinion):

http://andrewsulliva...ve-son-ctd.html

I'm curious what you mean about the "pollution", presume that for Phuket you refer mainly to the water, since my impression is that the air is very good (at least outside parts of Patong)? Or is the growing traffic starting to take its toll in other parts of the island?

Untreated sewage pumped into the ocean, burning of rubbish and plastics, garbage everywhere (except for high end tourist areas), soi dogs and their crap everywhere, Phuket produces 200 tons more refuse per day than it can safely dispose of and has for as long as I have lived here. Phang Nga Bay and Phi Phi have garbage washing up on the shore and just a general run down, untidy look of the place. Open your eyes! It's amazing what you get can used to seeing all the time that you just don't notice it anymore. And it smells bad!!!

I couldn't disagree with any of the negatives posted by the OP, but of course a list of negatives could be posted about any location. I'm sure the expats in Fiji, Tahiti, the South Pacific, the Caribbean and any other (holiday) destination could have a laundry list of negative aspects about life there. What it comes down to is what makes you happy.

On the contrary, I think the OP is realistic and Phuket just isn't what it used to be or what it holds itself out to be. There is no planning and with the uncontrolled development the situation will only get worse. There are indeed many beautiful places in Thailand, but sadly, Phuket is falling down the list with each year, slowly killing itself, much like a drug addict does.

Good post GK.

As I've wandered around the world, the longest embassy lines I've seen are 1. USA, and 2. UK.

I love to travel around Asia but the west is definately not as bad as some misfits would have us believe. And plenty of folks are voting with their feet and trying to get in.

OP, good luck to you and maybe in the future you'll split your time between the UK and other locations in Thailand. Chiang Mai is laid back :D

Untreated sewage pumped into the ocean, burning of rubbish and plastics, garbage everywhere (except for high end tourist areas), soi dogs and their crap everywhere, Phuket produces 200 tons more refuse per day than it can safely dispose of and has for as long as I have lived here. Phang Nga Bay and Phi Phi have garbage washing up on the shore and just a general run down, untidy look of the place. Open your eyes! It's amazing what you get can used to seeing all the time that you just don't notice it anymore. And it smells bad!!!

I'm not arguing with you, mate, I'm just asking, about the air quality, since I have asthma.

I also mainly agree with PMG's list.

I am just back to Thailand after three weeks in England, mostly London.

I thoroughly enjoyed the trip and still realise that the UK has much to offer but the prices there are getting steadily higher; I'm not sure I could afford to go back there even if I wanted to, having given up a good job and sold my property a few years ago.

Petrol at more than twice the price of Thailand is the most noticeable but eating, drinking and doing touristy things cost a fortune these days. Some things are still excellent value, and the GF has brought back bags full of shopping.

Traffic and crime are just as bad in London as Phuket but if you are outside London it's not so bad.

Good luck PMG.

Best of luck in the UK where

it is very cheap to live

there is hardly any crime

there are no traffic jams

the weather is great

there are no racial tensions

there is no drugs problem

there is no alcohol problem

there is no employment problem

Back to England where it is expensive to live, loads of crime, constant traffic jams and traffic lights, constant rain and cloud, racism prevalent, drugs available almost everywhere, massive alcohol problems, huge un-employment and colosal taxes. Should be good....

OP, I fully agree with your list of reasons to leave, but unlike you I also have a list of reasons why I rather be here than there.

After 3 months I get fed-up with the place and take some holidays, that helps.

I also travel back to the hell I originate from, used to stay 2x1month, now decided to change to 3x3weeks, just to keep my sanity.

Good luck to you (unlike the usual idiotic comments from other on this board)

OP Good luck to you,i think your a realist and you dont fool yourself..i have been coming here for over 20 years and i have a home here and a home in the UK, recently i have been going back twice a year for 2 months at a time.

Phuket has cetainly changed and not for the good,its now very expensive,and apart from what i call energy costs[petrol,electric gas etc] also housing everything else is a lot cheaper in the UK,even driving on the roads in traffic is a joy compared to Phuket...

But to me its about getting the right balance,im lucky i am retired and can afford to come and go...i understand that its not easy to make a living here in Thailand,in fact its nearly imposible,probably worse than most other countries and the Thai government dont incourage Foreigners to work here, any investment is a gamble[and not a good one]....

I for one would not think of trying to live here in the current climate ,not unless i had money or i was working abroad,

i really dont know many foreign business making any profit here at the moment,and just look at the empty properties, and speculators ,and real estate businesses,even the LIARS are not shouting.....

Best of luck in the UK where

it is very cheap to live

there is hardly any crime

there are no traffic jams

the weather is great

there are no racial tensions

there is no drugs problem

there is no alcohol problem

there is no employment problem

Back to England where it is expensive to live, loads of crime, constant traffic jams and traffic lights, constant rain and cloud, racism prevalent, drugs available almost everywhere, massive alcohol problems, huge un-employment and colosal taxes. Should be good....

All depends..

Mortgage paid Off...so.MPrai

Travel.Freedom Pass

Local Pub..pint of Ruddles (prefer lager however)1.60 Pint@ 75 Bt.

Local supermarket- Crusty Bread- 60 pence..@ 30Bt

12 large Eggs- 80 pence..@ 40Bt

1 Kilo of Bacon..1.50...@ 75Bt....................BLT...sarnies

and that not even counting the 99 p shops which are now expanding to Europe

Crime...agree somebody dropped some litter outside the house a couple of weeks ago....quick call to Council who dealt with it.

Drugs ...was offered some grass down in Islington about 3 years ago.

Racism...Wifee is Thai...

Work...if you want it.......

Weather....Today is beautiful...Blue sky and sunny...spot of gardening methinks..

Ticket to Bangkok...Special with OMAN-RJ air from around 399 quid R/T although now with Etti Sivercard will go upmarket @ 470 RT.Can use their Business Lounges at Heathrow and Abu D plus Royal Orchid in Suwanna....custy

and not forgetting ..

Ce Soir-Boys night out to the Great British Beer Festival at Earls Court.....with a final swally/nightcap at a wee pub I frequent near Kings X station which is open until 3-30 am....rough..init :D

I'm no longer so sure about Vietnam. I've been spending a lot of time there the last couple of years, mainly based in HCM, but with shorter visits to Hanoi, Nha Trang, Hue, Mui Ne, Dalat, etc.

And whereas I find the place very pleasant, nearly every expat I've met in HCM describes life there as 'boring', and expresses antipathy towards the Vietnamese. I wonder whether it's a similar situation to what often happens in Thailand, where someone comes for very enjoyable holidays but then finds full-time residency to be a very different experience.

That being said, the people I refer to work in management, doing business with the Vietnamese, mostly in manufacturing and F&B. Perhaps expat life is different in the beach areas, and/or for the retired.

HCMC is similar to Bangkok. It can be great "fun" but not a place to live, well, big cities with millions of people in them are not for me. Not sure why the expats you spoke to said it was boring, you can have a great time in HCMC. I would say they might be "under the thumb."

The more westerners that leave Phuket, the happier I get.

(Yes, I'm an a_rsehole and know it biggrin.gif)

I don't care either way. I have nothing that I couldn't leave behind and get the next flight out. Others have invested heavily in business, and in family, and in my opinion, have left themselves a little exposed to risk.

Phuket has changed for the worse, but only in the eyes of the people there to see it change.

For first timers they think its paradise.

I am sure all tourist areas of the world and their long staying expats have seen changes that they dont like.

But many of the stated problems are everywhere in the world.

Wherever makes you happy is where you should be.

The simple fact is the OP got something right .... "Asia isn't for everyone". though it does seem that he never did manage to meet any regular, average, Thai people... oh well. That does happen in tourist destinations the world over :)

Phuket has changed for the worse, but only in the eyes of the people there to see it change.

I am sure all tourist areas of the world and their long staying expats have seen changes that they dont like.

Excellent post.

:jap: