Dtac 3G Launch:Metro Bangkok Aug. 15

lomatopo

I can't get a 3G connection with DTAC near BTS Ari. My phone has 850 MHz, so it should work.

Coverage maps indicate there should be coverage in that area. What is the make/model of your phone? Do you have a DTAC SIM? A 3G or older unlimited data plan? Did you set up the APN properly? Reboot the phone? Has your phone worked previously on 850 Mhz 3G networks?

Of course it is a DTAC SIM :)

I cannot connect in 3G mode to the tower. Means, even no phone calls possible. Have to set it to GSM.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't get a 3G connection with DTAC near BTS Ari. My phone has 850 MHz, so it should work.

Coverage maps indicate there should be coverage in that area. What is the make/model of your phone? Do you have a DTAC SIM? A 3G or older unlimited data plan? Did you set up the APN properly? Reboot the phone? Has your phone worked previously on 850 Mhz 3G networks?

Of course it is a DTAC SIM :)

I cannot connect in 3G mode to the tower. Means, even no phone calls possible. Have to set it to GSM.

What is the make/model of your phone? Do you have a DTAC SIM? A 3G or older unlimited data plan? Did you set up the APN properly? Reboot the phone? Has your phone worked previously on 850 Mhz 3G networks?

In general, and every phone is different, you should be able to use an automatic setting for network acquisition, like GSM/WDCMA.

Fast.

Let's wait until everyone and their grandma subscribes for it. We'll see then how the speeds are.

From what i understand Dtac has twice the frequency of TM, so they should be able to provide better experience to more users

Fast.

I pay unlimited 3G with TRUE 650 baht per month. I've gotten as fast as 6Mbps and around 1-2Mbps most of the time.

These are quite decent speeds, don't think anyone needs more than this on a Mobile Device. Secondly is the 3G really unlimited, i think there is a Fair usage Policy as well

What is the make/model of your phone? Do you have a DTAC SIM? A 3G or older unlimited data plan? Did you set up the APN properly? Reboot the phone? Has your phone worked previously on 850 Mhz 3G networks?

In general, and every phone is different, you should be able to use an automatic setting for network acquisition, like GSM/WDCMA.

It is a new Nokia smartphone with all relevant 3G frequencies. 3G has always worked in other countries, should not be an issue in Thailand.

I have a internet plan with DTAC, but it connects only via Edge. Obviously, as it cannot connect to 3G.

I will test some other cell towers in my vicinity, it may be a local problem.

Or is there anything i have to do with DTAC to enable 3G with my phone/number?

Try dial *3000# and call

Thanks, that should make it working according to DTAC website:

Current dtac customers who subscribed for unlimited mobile internet package will receive automatic upgrade which entitles them to the dtac 3G service. For current dtac customers who subscribe for other packages, simply dial *3000# and press call (toll free) to enable the dtac 3G service. There is currently no additional charge for the dtac 3G service

I found a slightly different version here: http://www.dtac.co.th/3g/start.php

Current customers with unlimited Internet package. (Unlimitted).

will be upgraded to a top speed of 42 Mbps dtac 3G soon.

Current customers using the Internet based on packet traffic.

enjoy dtac 3G with a maximum speed of 42 Mbps can simply dial * 3000 #.

For existing customers who use other packages with dtac 3G.

with a maximum speed of 384 Kbps can simply dial * 3000 #.

Google translated...but I infer that if you had an Unlimited Data Plan before you can get 3G at full data rates, i.e. multiple Mega-bits per second. However, if you have any other data plan then you can get speeds up to 384 Kbps, after sending that service request. Further, if you had a data plan other than an unlimited one and you want real 3G speeds I think you would have to "trade up/over" to a new data plan which includes 3G? I could be wrong; I often am.

I will test some other cell towers in my vicinity, it may be a local problem.

Typically you would have coverage from more than "one tower"; I'd be shocked if there is no coverage in/around/near Ari BTS.

Without knowing which Nokia model you have it's hard to say, but I always recommend manually configuring the APN and rebooting the phone. I assume Nokia uses something similar to APNs to configure the mobile broadband connection?

The APN settings I've used successfully are in post #22 in this thread.

Edited by lomatopo

OK guys, just tried the new DTAC-3G and it is amazingly fast. I have only a 20 hour package for 100 Baht for my prepaid Happy-SIM and get the full speed:

1436882692.png

So yes, you have to enable it with *3000# and wait for the SMS. After that you can use 3G.

I also tried Skype and it works flawless!

:D

OK guys, just tried the new DTAC-3G and it is amazingly fast. I have only a 20 hour package for 100 Baht for my prepaid Happy-SIM and get the full speed:

If you were a new subscriber, and wanted a time-based 3G package, you could get the same 20 hours for 99 baht, full 3G speed.

http://www.happy.co.th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=281&Itemid=265〈=th

with the service request: *104*12# SEND

So it appears if your current 2G plan is directly replaceable with a 3G plan then the *3000# service message enables 3G.

Most of the time-based plans carry forward, but there are more, new volume-based plans (generally recommended for smartphone apps.) now. Actually, if you are careful 40 minutes per day at 8 Mbps would be manageable. But I think many prefer to leave their device connected 7x24 on a volume-based plan?

If you were a new subscriber, and wanted a time-based 3G package, you could get the same 20 hours for 99 baht, full 3G speed.

http://www.happy.co.th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=281&Itemid=265〈=th

with the service request: *104*12# SEND

So it appears if your current 2G plan is directly replaceable with a 3G plan then the *3000# service message enables 3G.

Most of the time-based plans carry forward, but there are more, new volume-based plans (generally recommended for smartphone apps.) now. Actually, if you are careful 40 minutes per day at 8 Mbps would be manageable. But I think many prefer to leave their device connected 7x24 on a volume-based plan?

This is exactly the plan I have. Actually it is 99 Baht+tax, so something around 106 Baht. It will be renewed each month if there is sufficient funds, otherwise it will be cancelled automatically.

For iPhones and Androids it is probably better not to have a time limit as they are more or less constantly online.

Nokias are a bit smarter and disconnect when no internet is needed. A simple email lookup costs only 20 seconds or so, and the GPS helper only another second.

So for my model of usage, 20 hours is plenty. I often use only half of that. Of course, if you surf a lot then this will not apply.

DTAC seems to have good coverage all the way down the BTS line to Udom Suk, then out UDom Suk (Soi 103) to Srinakarin Road, up to Seacon Square (although coverage was not so good inside the mall, dropping to EDGE), and out to Ram2/Prawet/Outer Ring Road.

post-9615-0-19646000-1313663073_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-13134400-1313663084_thumb.jp

Fast.

Let's wait until everyone and their grandma subscribes for it. We'll see then how the speeds are.

I pay unlimited 3G with TRUE 650 baht per month. I've gotten as fast as 6Mbps and around 1-2Mbps most of the time.

Yes they all start fast. Had the same experience with Mojo- has gone from 3mps to 0.2mps.

In all fairness if Dtac 3g is anything like it's Edge service, then we are in for a treat.

For what its worth, I work in enterprise communications and all the Thais in our office swear by the DTAC 3G service. Those that didnt have DTAC phone lines are porting their numbers asap and I am thinking I will do the same.

Fair usage is better too. AIS and True are 3GB then down to 256kbps. DTAC is 5GB and down to 384kbps.

For what its worth, I work in enterprise communications and all the Thais in our office swear by the DTAC 3G service. Those that didnt have DTAC phone lines are porting their numbers asap and I am thinking I will do the same.

Fair usage is better too. AIS and True are 3GB then down to 256kbps. DTAC is 5GB and down to 384kbps.

I was just about to go with a True post-paid plan, then DTAC launched. I am a little concerned about DTAC's 3G prospects as they are a bit on the outs now. I don't think the AG will shut down the existing service but I'm not sure DTAC can import anymore equipment to expand further. Meanwhile True (down, but not out) is able to import gear and is currently expanding 3G, and 2G (Northeast). True also has 3G in a few other locales; DTAC does not.

I am going to keep both, True and DTAC, pre-paid likely until the end of the year. I am going to stop True 3G but keep the SIM alive on the next renewal cycle, and use DTAC 3G for a while.

Fast.

From what i understand Dtac has twice the frequency of TM, so they should be able to provide better experience to more users

Fast.

These are quite decent speeds, don't think anyone needs more than this on a Mobile Device. Secondly is the 3G really unlimited, i think there is a Fair usage Policy as well

Thanks for the info. I'm really after something I can Skype with (video conversations if poss), these sound like good options.

Thanks for the info. I'm really after something I can Skype with (video conversations if poss), these sound like good options.

Maybe have a look at these speedtest results DTAC v. True.

My experiences are similar.

I'm not sure True can support the upstream bandwidth required for Skype video but maybe you could research that requirement?

I believe both AIS and DTAC have robust upload speeds.

For the past three months or so True's 3G upload speeds have been 75 ~ 100 Kilo-bits per second. When I first started using True 3G, January 2011, the upload speeds were closer to 1 Mega-bits per second and higher. At first I attributed my poor upload speeds to the use of a specific modem firmware as part of a custom ROM I installed. However I seee other people posting low upload speeds, and I get high upload speeds with DTAC (850 Mhz, same modem firmware).

I have a feeling True made a change to restrict upload speeds, perhaps to inhibit the unlimited/still no fair-use fixed-line replacement users who may be running applications like bit-torrent? (There are other ways to limit these users so think maybe this is not the reason?) Or maybe it is part of the implementation procedure required for the current expansion of the 3G network? Or maybe someone made a mistake configuring the network management system, which spread across the entire system? :o

For most smartphone users upload speed is not a huge priority, except perhaps when uploading photos or videos to social media apps., or forwarding emails with large attachments?

Low upload speed also affects ping in true 3g. Finally i got my dtac 3g sim. i will give a try today

Me too!

Firstly I was distinctly unimpressed with the AIS staff who didn't seem to have a clue what they were doing, so the choice was made for me.

But DTAC results don't look promising. This was from server in UK : ping 433ms, download 1.42 mbps, upload 0.86mbps.

A lot better than TOT I think, and equal to True, but a long way of the euphoric reports I've read.

Just hope it's enough for Skype or Windows live.

I guess I expect too much but I'm constantly and totally underwhelmed by Thai internet.

Maybe have a look at these speedtest results DTAC v. True.

My experiences are similar.

I'm not sure True can support the upstream bandwidth required for Skype video but maybe you could research that requirement?

I believe both AIS and DTAC have robust upload speeds.

For the past three months or so True's 3G upload speeds have been 75 ~ 100 Kilo-bits per second. When I first started using True 3G, January 2011, the upload speeds were closer to 1 Mega-bits per second and higher. At first I attributed my poor upload speeds to the use of a specific modem firmware as part of a custom ROM I installed. However I seee other people posting low upload speeds, and I get high upload speeds with DTAC (850 Mhz, same modem firmware).

I have a feeling True made a change to restrict upload speeds, perhaps to inhibit the unlimited/still no fair-use fixed-line replacement users who may be running applications like bit-torrent? (There are other ways to limit these users so think maybe this is not the reason?) Or maybe it is part of the implementation procedure required for the current expansion of the 3G network? Or maybe someone made a mistake configuring the network management system, which spread across the entire system? :o

For most smartphone users upload speed is not a huge priority, except perhaps when uploading photos or videos to social media apps., or forwarding emails with large attachments?

Well I'll be using it over the next few days, so that's the ultimate test. Good post.

Low upload speed also affects ping in true 3g. Finally i got my dtac 3g sim. i will give a try today

Me too!

Firstly I was distinctly unimpressed with the AIS staff who didn't seem to have a clue what they were doing, so the choice was made for me.

But DTAC results don't look promising. This was from server in UK : ping 433ms, download 1.42 mbps, upload 0.86mbps.

A lot better than TOT I think, and equal to True, but a long way of the euphoric reports I've read.

Just hope it's enough for Skype or Windows live.

I guess I expect too much but I'm constantly and totally underwhelmed by Thai internet.

Can you share your application(s)? If it's personal or confidential no worries, ignore.

But it might help if we understand your requirements, then we may be able to suggest an alternative?

Most VoIP apps specifically say they do not support 3G, although many report success (even on 2G).

I confess I know nothing about gaming, but have this vague understanding that ping times are important in that world. And with the ramp up in smartphone CPU and graphics, that on-line real-time gaming will potentially explode. I'm just wondering if WiFi is an option? Or is it connectivity to server potentially 15,000 Km away which is important?

Basically, from what I've experienced tonight I wouldn't be considering asking any questions other than is it any good at all, and to my mind, what a flaming rip off!!!

What a let down, at times speeds have been less than 0.1mbps, and the internet has ground to a halt on many occasions.

Dtac's Edge service is pretty good and I've always used their phone service too, so I was hoping for better.

It may not be Dtac's fault, I've always experienced bad service in Thailand in general regarding the internetand around Rachada 3 in particular..

And perhaps tomorrow will be better.

Basically, from what I've experienced tonight I wouldn't be considering asking any questions other than is it any good at all, and to my mind, what a flaming rip off!!!

What a let down, at times speeds have been less than 0.1mbps, and the internet has ground to a halt on many occasions.

Dtac's Edge service is pretty good and I've always used their phone service too, so I was hoping for better.

It may not be Dtac's fault, I've always experienced bad service in Thailand in general regarding the internetand around Rachada 3 in particular..

Not sure if I am interpreting your location correctly but the True v. DTAC speed tests I linked above were made at Esplanade. Further I was at both Esplanade and Fortune Town on Sunday and got ~ 5 Mbps/1 Mbps in both places (with DTAC).

My guess: either you're outside of coverage (or dead-spot, these do exist) or have some sort of configuration or equipment issue. Can you try a different location? Even just a few hundred meters away?

I assume you have a known, good, activated, network-recognized DTAC SIM, added money, selected a 3G data plan, manually configured the APN information, rebooted the device, have a 3G signal?

Ummmm and how can it be a "flaming ripoff "if you are not actually being charged extra for the service?

This is a common mistake: upload speeds do matter, even if you just browse the internet and don't upload anything.

The reason: IP traffic is not a one way road. Slow upload speeds often combined with long ping rates make the browsing experience much worse.

I'm honestly not sure what is going on with Truemove's 3G upload speed. In some Thai forums almost everyone has similar results.

Originally Truemove supported a maximum of 384 Kbps upload. Then at some point, maybe towards the beginning of 2011 they enabled HSUPA on some base-stations. (This may have been disallowed, I vaguely remember some minor controversy?) I know I was getting 1 + Mega-bits per second for some time. OVer the past 3 months it seems to have settled back down to ~ 100 Kilo-bits per second.

Using my Smarpthone I have not noticed any service degradation using Truemove 3G, when browsing, or for any applications for that matter. But it seems like they may have a problem?

I want to test out an Aircard just to re-verify it is not due to my modem.

post-9615-0-11926200-1314083125_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-02019600-1314083133_thumb.jp

Not sure if I am interpreting your location correctly but the True v. DTAC speed tests I linked above were made at Esplanade. Further I was at both Esplanade and Fortune Town on Sunday and got ~ 5 Mbps/1 Mbps in both places (with DTAC).

My guess: either you're outside of coverage (or dead-spot, these do exist) or have some sort of configuration or equipment issue. Can you try a different location? Even just a few hundred meters away?

I assume you have a known, good, activated, network-recognized DTAC SIM, added money, selected a 3G data plan, manually configured the APN information, rebooted the device, have a 3G signal?

The signal is strong, I live in the Fortune Town area a couple of hundred yards back from Tesco.

I use a notebook with an Ifox dongle, and also a Galaxy tab.

Mojo actually worked better last night, so I don't think it is an equipment issue, as one was ok.

I don't know about configuration on the note book, I just plug in and play.

No, I don't routinely re-boot, is it important?

Monday evening at 8pm was perhaps not the fairest time.