Dtac 3G Launch:Metro Bangkok Aug. 15

lomatopo

What a let down, at times speeds have been less than 0.1mbps, and the internet has ground to a halt on many occasions.

0.1 Mega-bits per second, or 100 Kilo-bits per second sounds like 2G (EDGE) rather than 3G. Are you certain you had a 3G signal?

It sounds like your requirements might be better suited with DSL. Is that an option for you?

I tried my DTAC 3G SIM in a D-Link DWM-156 aircard, with ADSL Thailand's Speedtest and a UK server just now (~ 17:00) with the following result: (I am in South Ploenchit.)

post-9615-0-85788800-1314095369_thumb.jp

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a let down, at times speeds have been less than 0.1mbps, and the internet has ground to a halt on many occasions.

0.1 Mega-bits per second, or 100 Kilo-bits per second sounds like 2G (EDGE) rather than 3G. Are you certain you had a 3G signal?

It sounds like your requirements might be better suited with DSL. Is that an option for you?

I tried my DTAC 3G SIM in a D-Link DWM-156 aircard, with ADSL Thailand's Speedtest and a UK server just now (~ 17:00) with the following result: (I am in South Ploenchit.)

On the Galaxy Tab, the settings were configured by the sales assistant in the DTAC shop in Fortune Town. I'll be going back to the store to check.

Following the line above: I I tried my DTAC 3G SIM in iFox HSPA-21Rx at Fortune Town with TV speedtest link to UK server (19.00) and result as follows: ping 834ms, 0.25mbps, upload 0.16mbps.

I also have similar results using the Galaxy Tab which is a new machine.

I confirm it is 3g and not Edge, Edge actually works better for me.

Also that the Mojo card is currently outperforming The DTAC quite markedly.

In answer to a previous poster about rip offs, well if you go out and buy something specfic which clearly doesn't do what it says, then that is the definition of a rip off- 3g implies a superior service. Although as I say there may be a perfectly simple explanation so I agree best not to judge.

I wonder is it anything to do with the area, no matter what I try here the result is truly bad over a long period of time. One thought is that there are so many users in this area that there is simply is not enough bandwith.

When I first had Mojo, it was fantastic, regularly reaching 4mbps, but over the course of a couple of months it went to virtually zero. My friend was in the same boat, he was told that there was extremely high usage in the area. My specific area has a number of office buildings, the It mall and a high number of internet shops too, I can only think that the demans is too great to provide a reasonable service be it LAN, Wifi, or mobile.

Basically, from what I've experienced tonight I wouldn't be considering asking any questions other than is it any good at all, and to my mind, what a flaming rip off!!!

Dtac's Edge service is pretty good and I've always used their phone service too, so I was hoping for better.

It may not be Dtac's fault, I've always experienced bad service in Thailand in general regarding the internetand around Rachada 3 in particular..

And perhaps tomorrow will be better.

Ummmm and how can it be a "flaming ripoff "if you are not actually being charged extra for the service?

What do you mean? I went out and bought a 3g sim card and paid for a plan. Expand!

I wonder is it anything to do with the area, no matter what I try here the result is truly bad over a long period of time. One thought is that there are so many users in this area that there is simply is not enough bandwith.

When I first had Mojo, it was fantastic, regularly reaching 4mbps, but over the course of a couple of months it went to virtually zero. My friend was in the same boat, he was told that there was extremely high usage in the area. My specific area has a number of office buildings, the It mall and a high number of internet shops too, I can only think that the demans is too great to provide a reasonable service be it LAN, Wifi, or mobile.

Based on the little nuggets you've dropped so far it seems like you've tried just about every 3G mobile broadband solution possible without success? It may be time to cut and run; either move or get DSL. I assume you've taken your notebook and USB aircard to other locations to test? How has that worked out for you?

I'm not sure I buy the location issue. On one hand you say it's a high volume business location (yes, of course it is) and then someone else says 8:00 PM is peak time (when basically anyone working is out for eats or home). Honestly, everyone didn't jump ship to DTAC in ~ 7 days, creating some sort of bandwidth constriction.

Obviously DTAC isn't working for you, so this thread may prove fruitless for you to continue to mine. Maybe it's time for you to start a new thread, in this or the ICCT forum, to solicit ideas which may address your requirements. In that new thread, maybe you could share more details about your requirements/applications? It can be challenging to help someone when they offer so little. Best of luck.

Based on the little nuggets you've dropped so far it seems like you've tried just about every 3G mobile broadband solution possible without success? It may be time to cut and run; either move or get DSL. I assume you've taken your notebook and USB aircard to other locations to test? How has that worked out for you?

I'm not sure I buy the location issue. On one hand you say it's a high volume business location (yes, of course it is) and then someone else says 8:00 PM is peak time (when basically anyone working is out for eats or home). Honestly, everyone didn't jump ship to DTAC in ~ 7 days, creating some sort of bandwidth constriction.

Obviously DTAC isn't working for you, so this thread may prove fruitless for you to continue to mine. Maybe it's time for you to start a new thread, in this or the ICCT forum, to solicit ideas which may address your requirements. In that new thread, maybe you could share more details about your requirements/applications? It can be challenging to help someone when they offer so little. Best of luck.

Hello, this is an honest thread offered for discussion. I'm sorry I am not saying what you want me to say about something you might hold dear or for whatever reason. I agree I only have limited knowledge, and that's why I am here asking people for honest answers and solutions already, I didn't realise I needed to be a technician!!!!. I really think it is more beholden on you not to comment if you feel you can not offer any help. But yes it may be best to start a new thread as I'm exasperated in general with everything I've tried and the internet is rather important to me, and would of course ask you to refrain from comment on that thread.

I did some speedtests, but forgot to take snaps (will repeat tom'w) at 20:00 on both True and DTAC. I actually saw a ~ 20% increase in performance over tests during the day. Not sure this 8 PM prime-time applies to 3G on DTAC which has only been in service for 7 days?

I have multiple DSL lines at home so no need for 3G as a fixed-line broadband replacement.

I am interested in 3G for mobile broadband applications, specifically a smartphone.

My options are True, DTAC and TOT/MVNOs. I am interested in finding the best overall solution for my requirements, and hopefully helping out others by sharing information.

It is easy to understand how frustrated, even irrational, people can become when trouble-shooting internet connectivity problems. If DTAC 3G isn't working for anyone then the solution is obvious.

Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this."

I think that for those with an 850 Mhz capable device, and understanding that DTAC's 3G service is limited to the metro-Bangkok area for the foreseeable future, and that it might be shut down (very long shot), it is a service worth investigating and evaluating. Maybe buy a 49 baht SIM? Maybe get a 49 baht for one day unlimited plan?

I plan on evaluating DTAC's 3G for at least 30 days. So far, I find it equal to or better than True (but more limited in coverage). As far as I am concerned TOT/MVNOs are a no op.

I was in Bangkok hospital Area for the last 2 days,

I tested AIS 3G and DTAC 3G.

Dtac 3G tends to switch edge although 3g signal bar was full. But turns back to 3G in a minute.

AIS 3G has transparent proxy, so when you download a file to your telephone from fileape or filedude (installous), they have a speed limit like 150kb/s for non premium service. But the beauty of proxy server comes in and you download whole file with 150kb/s average speed (sometimes 100k, sometimes 200k, average = 150k full) which I don't get in proxyless TOT 3G.

AIS 3G has better connection to my homecountry, Turkey. I can watch stocks market without hassle. Dtac network also fails in that :(

Another fact is that DTAC doesn't have a promotion for voice like 12-call (2 baht first minute, 0.50 baht after). I looked all the promotions but AIS seems to have better pricing for All-network calls.

It seems I will go with AIS 3g after all.

It seems I will go with AIS 3g after all.

For those who have phones which support 900 Mhz 3G I am recommending AIS/One-2-Call. If 900 Mhz only then not much of a choice as TOT/MVNOs are not a real option. AIS has broader 3G coverage, is now politically #1 and as you mention, offers more voice options. (Note that that 2 baht/50 satang promotion is only good on SIM Max 99, SIM Max 300 and Freedom according to their website.)

If your phone supports 850 Mhz 3G only I am recommending True.

I am happy with the DTAC 3G performance, their national presence (moreso than True) and their voice promotions. But they are #3 politically, and their 3G expansion may be halted.

My phone is 850/1900/2100; I knew what I was doing at the time (Q410) as True seemed like the winner. In hindsight a 900 Mhz SGS1 might have been a better choice if I wanted AIS?

i have iphone 4 so 900 mhz ais works ok. Suprisingly true also works good on some locations. However, 100 kbit up speed like a joke!

Dtac up speed is very very good.

Yes, the iPhone 4 supports 850/900/1900/2100 so True (850), DTAC (850) and AIS/One-2-Call (900) which is the best option currently. The iPhone 3GS is (I believe) 850/1900/2100 Mhz 3G so AIS is not an option. Some of the Nokia models support 850/900/1900/2100, And the SGS2 is rumored to work on 850 Mhz and 900 Mhz (along with 1900/2100) perhaps with some tweaking?

If buying a new phone I might recommend one which supports 900 Mhz 3G so you can use AIS/One-2-Call.

edited to add: for pre-paid users DTAC's web-based e-services application is #1, One-2-Call's #2, OK but not as robust as DTACs and True's is non-existent.

Edited by lomatopo

Basically, from what I've experienced tonight I wouldn't be considering asking any questions other than is it any good at all, and to my mind, what a flaming rip off!!!

Dtac's Edge service is pretty good and I've always used their phone service too, so I was hoping for better.

It may not be Dtac's fault, I've always experienced bad service in Thailand in general regarding the internetand around Rachada 3 in particular..

Ummmm and how can it be a "flaming ripoff "if you are not actually being charged extra for the service?

What do you mean? I went out and bought a 3g sim card and paid for a plan. Expand!

ok.. Dtac are not charging more for 3g than they charge for 2g. they are the same plans. whereas true etc they sell them as 3 g plans for extra money. If some one had an existing data plan then that would also be ok for 3g.

DTAC 3G Expo September 3 & 4, 2011 Siam Paragon

Note the "first 100" sale, 50% discounts. Will be a zoo.

Other discounting and finance options.

http://www.dtac.co.th/3g/dtacexpo/

http://www.promotion...A5%E0%B8%94-50/

Wow...................... Pity you can't just order other the phone...lol

Also i wonder if it's 1st 100 of each model or in total?

Edited by thaicbr

ummm i just google translated the info... and it's a credit card payment then cash back. You pay full price on ya CC then in October DTAC pay back the difference.. but there is loads of other terms an BS as well.........Thought it was to good to be true............ or to good to be dtac....

Edited by thaicbr

I came back from Pattaya today. I did 3 tests on my Galaxy Tab using my Dtac 3g Sim, Adsl speedtest to UK server:

Test 1 - On Nut - 801 kbps, 454kbps, Ping 408.

Test 2 - Ekkamai Bus Station. 2663kbps, 543kbps, Ping 391ms.

Test 3 - Fortune Town - 835 kbps, 458 kbps, Ping 410.

It does seem to me to be a bit of a postcode lottery.

I have also just tested Mojo (Tot) - 1750kbps, 529kbps.

To my mind, DTAC provides a smoother surfing experience and doesn't seem to drop pages. This alone makes it worthwhile for me.

ok.. Dtac are not charging more for 3g than they charge for 2g. they are the same plans. whereas true etc they sell them as 3 g plans for extra money. If some one had an existing data plan then that would also be ok for 3g.

As I said I bought a 3g package and was exasperated that I hadn't received anything like the speeds initially like the speeds others were reporting, my speeds were derisory in fact, although they are coming out at around 500kbps download and upload now.

It's a simple argument really.

Today I travelled around the Bangkok. I've been in Sathorn, Nonthaburi, Int. Airport and expressway (2nd one I guess). I've tested DTAC with speedtest App (Bangkok server). Unfortunately I never get more than 1Mbit for download and upload speed was around 150-180 kbit. In first days, it was like 2.8Mbit for upload and over 5-6Mbit for download. Ping was 56 ms before, now its 200ms+ to Bangkok.

DTAC also tends to switch to edge, if edge signal is stronger than 3G. However, true keeps 3G even signal is just 2 bar (hardly). True suprised me with coverage area. It always had 3G signal wherever I went today. Most of the time I get full signal with True, amazing.

Now DTAC has similar speed to True, I can't complain about True anymore. However, AIS (due to 900mhz is not common in mobile phones) is still rocking due to under-utilization.

I'm still liking DTAC. Coverage is not as comprehensive as True or AIS. I was in Cha Am & Hua Hin this week and got True 3G in all locations. Upload speed in Cha Am was a surprising 2+ Mbps, where I usually see 100 Kbps upload on True. True has expanded their 3G network as part of the Truemove H/RealMove H build out, but it's not clear to me that existing Truemove 3G customers can "roam" onto this expanded network? I'd like to think we can, but have not researched this yet.

There are many, many , many more 900 Mhz-capable 3G phones here than 850 Mhz. I'd say the ratio is at least 8:1, so AIS has a distinct advantage in addressable market, along with broader coverage and the largest captive customer base. They've also launched the service before DTAC, and have aggressively marketed it, so I'm not sure how under-utilized it might be?

For me, where there is 3G covereage DTAC seems to offer more robust service, overall, than True. Again, that's just my very limited experience over ~ 8 months with True and ~ 2 weeks on DTAC. I remain concerned about DTAC's ability to expand their 3G network.

DTAC 3G Expo September 3 & 4, 2011 Siam Paragon

Note the "first 100" sale, 50% discounts. Will be a zoo.

Other discounting and finance options.

http://www.dtac.co.th/3g/dtacexpo/

http://www.promotiontoyou.com/2011/08/promotion-dtac-3g-expo-iphone-4-bb-htc-galaxy-sii-nokia-%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%94-50/

Not sure if anyone noticed but the lines for this DTAC 3G Expo are insane!

http://www.pantip.com/cafe/mbk/topic/T11018914/T11018914.html

(Note the additional base-stations, increased from 400 to 600.)

Dtac 3G Expo a big success

Total Access Communication expects the number of its 3G clients to be at least 450,000, after the 3G Expo this weekend. A number of 2,200 smartphones that support 3G services were sold out during the two-day event.

Pakorn Pannachet, senior vice president for products division, said that the overwhelming number of visitors to the expo reflected the huge interest on the new telecommunication technology.

Launching the service on Aug 16, 380,000 clients have been using the company's 3G service and after the expo, the number should rise to 450,000. The number of 3G cell sites will be raised by over 200 points, from 400, in Bangkok and peripheral provinces. More applications and contents will also be developed and launched in the next two months.

Dtac also plans to launch a joint promotion with mobile phone companies and financial institutions, to offer a discount or a zero-rate instalment package.

Dtac kicked off the expo at Siam Paragon on Saturday, to officially launch its 3G service despite legal wrangling with its concession owner, CAT Telecom.

"The expo is part of Dtac's long-term strategy to become the best data network provider. The expo is where customers can buy mobile phones and accesssories that supports the 3G service on the 850MHz frequency, which will benefit existing clients and expand our client base," said Pakorn.

Dtac planned to offer a 50 per cent discount on 100 smartphone units each on Saturday and Sunday. Due to overwhelming response, the discount was extended to 1,100 lucky persons on Saturday. On Sunday, registration for 50 per cent for the first 100 units and 10 per cent for 1,000 units is open until 5pm.

Nokia, Samsung, Blackberry, HTC, ZTE, Huawei, Acer and Dell are partners of the event.

Since trial launch on August 16, Dtac has witnessed a 20 per cent increase on data transmission nationwide. Connection to social media websites skyrocketed, 200 per cent on YouTube.