AIS rollout of 3G a success

george

Why does the table only mention i? What about HTC,Samsung.. For the record my Samsung galaxy doesn't work on the 850 band. So doesn't work with True 3g

actually AIS is the only real "Android friendly" provider. You can use the 3G packages on any smartphone. I also have the same problem that AIS is actually the only provider on which I can use 3G with my phone. I normally buy in Europe (the phones) and in Europe 850 like on True is nowhere to be found, just the 900 frequency that AIS offers.

Having said that, 2 friends of mine living in Bangkok both have upgraded to AIS 3G and both of them think its HORRIBLE. Both have iphone 4 mobiles. I watched it myself and the 3G reception will go from full to "searching" on and off. When connected the speed can be OK (seldomly) but mostly it is very bad, hardly faster than Edge. AIS has a lot of fixing and upgrading to do. Im surprised it seems to work so well in Phuket.

Lots of Blackberry's only support 3G with 850Mhz, not 900Mhz, there are only a few special models that support 900Mhz.

Actually, most handsets support the 900 mhz and 1800 mhz spectrums, but most don't support the 850 mhz spectrum. All of this 3g is rolling out on the 850 mhz spectrum, which doesn't work on my HTC NEXUS one phone.

I took a day trip from Pattaya to Bangkok today for some shopping. It was a chance to check the AIS 3G on my iPhone 4.

I got my first ever 3G signal at the airport, waiting for the Express Train (I was pretty excited!). However, when I did a speed test, it was a real disappointment: about .3 MPS down. It took forever to even check e-mail.

I tried various locales in Bangkok and finally found another 3G signal at the Emporium with the same slow speed.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need a plan to get real speeds?

Hello All, I have a DTAC and AIS EDGE accounts, I use an Option GI 0335

USB modem(USB stick) on a Mac running OS 10.6.8.

The modem is from IT-Plaza.

All most fell out of my seat with the first test, one time hit 240 kbps in

the past, but this is a real shocker.

Test were on: http://speedtest.thaivisa.com/

3 tests in a row to SQ and then BKK.

rice555 in very wet Korat

SQ

Download Speed: 366 kbps (45.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 444 kbps (55.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 81 ms

August 10, 2011 2:13:54 AM GMT+07:00

Download Speed: 366 kbps (45.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 432 kbps (54 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 103 ms

August 10, 2011 2:14:59 AM GMT+07:00

Download Speed: 365 kbps (45.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 513 kbps (64.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 103 ms

August 10, 2011 2:15:50 AM GMT+07:00

BKK

Download Speed: 368 kbps (46 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 508 kbps (63.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 101 ms

August 10, 2011 2:16:53 AM GMT+07:00

Download Speed: 370 kbps (46.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 349 kbps (43.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 96 ms

August 10, 2011 2:17:53 AM GMT+07:00

Download Speed: 367 kbps (45.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 568 kbps (71 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 101 ms

August 10, 2011 2:18:42 AM GMT+07:00

I am using Samsung Galaxy S2 with AIS EDGE in BKK.. Connection indicator switches between 3G and H+ often. Speedtest gave me the same numbers as yours for BKK :>

Last week i Purchased the HTC Sensation from Singapore saving me 3,000THB. forget to check the 3g range on it ( 900 ) but was very happy that my current operator AIS is working to this model.

i upgraded my package to 3G and just tested it with speedtest app 10 mins ago...

PING 80ms

DOWNLOAD 1574 kbps

UPLOAD 181 kbp

working from home so not been able to test it fully yet.

will update this thread later on with more results from around BKK as i get them

I am currently in Hua Hin city center with a AIS post-paid subscription, and currently getting 3.2 Mbps down and 0.8 Mbps up.

Used an old 3G dongle from AIS, speedtest.net via notebook and the speedtest.net Android App via mobile.

I am now in Hua Hin and getting slower speeds than in Bangkok. Speedtest showed only 361 kbps as apposed to 2273 kbps in Bangkok. Staying in center of Hua Hin

Edit: Sorry, I realise now that the 2273 kbps was suing a True sim card.

Edited by petedk

I'm on iPhone 4 and to me its a total fail.

Live out in BangNa but work in Ploenchit. Drive to work every day but cant listen to internet radio at all, even on full strength edge. In our office building it goes from Edge to 3G constantly and is pretty much useless to me. At home forget it.Tonight it says around 150kbps but real speed would be around 14.4 if I'm lucky

I'm switching back to True. The voice service is total rubbish but at least they have decent coverage and cheaper plans but most importantly a useable data service.....

I'm on iPhone 4 and to me its a total fail.

Live out in BangNa but work in Ploenchit. Drive to work every day but cant listen to internet radio at all, even on full strength edge. In our office building it goes from Edge to 3G constantly and is pretty much useless to me. At home forget it.Tonight it says around 150kbps but real speed would be around 14.4 if I'm lucky

I'm switching back to True. The voice service is total rubbish but at least they have decent coverage and cheaper plans but most importantly a useable data service.....

Did you try DTAC? Maybe it will work out good for you?