Finding Things That You Take For Granted In The West!

martspec

One of lifes true sayings "There's never an advantage without a disadvantage". Living in Thailand is the advantage, so not being able to buy some things you are used to is the disadvantage. However with careful sourcing most things can be found, otherwise the trip back home is the remedy. We usually return each year for a month or so but have found that our shopping list in the UK gets smaller each year. Its down to Parsnips and Swedes this year, for me anyway. My wife seems to think that UK clothes are cheaper and better than those sold in Thailand, especially so for our numerous nephews, nieces and families new borns or the very young.

Well it seems no one in the northeast has a computer or they do not know what Epsom Salts is. I have spent 6 months of the last 12 here in Thailand and I am still trying to find out why so many Brits and Aussies think it is so wonderful. For the most part I think it sucks! It is certainly more expensive than Texas USA. The only thing that is cheap is housing and it is skyrocketing. Labor is about double what it was a year ago. I am not a fan of having whores hitting on me at every corner. I can see why the guy from UK I met the other day loves it here. I ask him what he was doing in Thailand and he told me he was looking for his next ex-girlfriend. I think that is the most anti woman remark I have heard in 72 years of life on this planet.

And you are an example of the reason I left Texas. The only thing more dreary than reading your posts would be sitting near you on the plane for the 12-16 hours it is going to take you to go back home. Where I know you can't wait to be. BTW, it has been 40 consecutive days over 100 degrees back in Dallas, with no rain since June. Have fun.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of lifes true sayings "There's never an advantage without a disadvantage". Living in Thailand is the advantage, so not being able to buy some things you are used to is the disadvantage. However with careful sourcing most things can be found, otherwise the trip back home is the remedy. We usually return each year for a month or so but have found that our shopping list in the UK gets smaller each year. Its down to Parsnips and Swedes this year, for me anyway. My wife seems to think that UK clothes are cheaper and better than those sold in Thailand, especially so for our numerous nephews, nieces and families new borns or the very young.

Well it seems no one in the northeast has a computer or they do not know what Epsom Salts is. I have spent 6 months of the last 12 here in Thailand and I am still trying to find out why so many Brits and Aussies think it is so wonderful. For the most part I think it sucks! It is certainly more expensive than Texas USA. The only thing that is cheap is housing and it is skyrocketing. Labor is about double what it was a year ago. I am not a fan of having whores hitting on me at every corner. I can see why the guy from UK I met the other day loves it here. I ask him what he was doing in Thailand and he told me he was looking for his next ex-girlfriend. I think that is the most anti woman remark I have heard in 72 years of life on this planet.

A serious question. Why did you come here, and why are you still here if you don't like it? :blink:

Medication has not ranked high on the things I have struggled to find.

Cotton socks - decent quality cotton socks that you can wear on your feet or use for straining broken glass out your whisky, should the need arise.

Though even then, I could not say that I've struggled; its just something I stock up on whenever I'm in a Western cotton sock emporium.

SC

It is not quite like a crushed ankle but I have not been able to find any of my ex wives here. I must admit to the cotton sock thing. I don't know where to buy them. Anyone have a source? Price is not really an object. I don't much care for giving my credit card out over the INTERNET here. I would actually like to see them before I bought them anyway. The docs would only give me morphine for three days after an operation, I know what you mean about that.

For all you high quality cotton needing sock guys, I recommend you contact a friend back home and have them send your favorite comfy ones over. Here I have found in passing that Super Sports in Central Malls seem to have some good quality deals from Adidas but you are gonna pay a premium. It is better to order and have them sent.

When I visit the US I frequently bring back various things for friends here, like bedding, plain white T shirts, deodorants, special tools, motorcycle parts and gear etc. Set it up with a friend. That method is free of shipping costs

Keep your eyes open after you pay for your stuff at a Tesco-Lotus check out counter and are heading out the door, there are at times a small table selling great cotton socks that are thick and last a long time, and sell 3 for 100 Baht. I have found these at the Tesco-Lotus Hangdong branch in Chiang Mai as well as the branch on the Rangsit/Nahkon Nayok road at about Klong 8. I don't see them often, but when I do I stock up for sure.

Keep your eyes open after you pay for your stuff at a Tesco-Lotus check out counter and are heading out the door, there are at times a small table selling great cotton socks that are thick and last a long time, and sell 3 for 100 Baht.

But what if you haven't got 3 legs?

Keep your eyes open after you pay for your stuff at a Tesco-Lotus check out counter and are heading out the door, there are at times a small table selling great cotton socks that are thick and last a long time, and sell 3 for 100 Baht.

The third could be used as a reusable safe sex device.

The third could be used as a reusable safe sex device.

I guess I asked for that one.....:)