Tourist Visa Extension - Koh Samui

Hello. I need to do a 30 day extension on my tourist visa in Koh Samui on Monday and am wondering if any local members can give me any tips/advice?

I'm staying at Chaweng Beach and i think that i'll take a red truck taxi to the local immigration office.

I believe the extension will cost me 1,900 baht? and i have two passport size photos from two and half months ago.

Is it best to print out the application in advance and fill it out before i get there, or to fill out a form at the office on the day?

And how long should i expect the process to take i.e. is a very early arrival at the office advisable?

Any advice would be appreciated. With thanks in advance.

The Immigrations office is located in Nathon, in the intersection to Samui Hospital.

A songthaew should cost 70 baht.

Fee is 1900 baht and you need 2 passport photos.

You fill out the application there, they have forms stamped "Samui immigrations".

Everyone goes early so longer wait then.

I always go after their lunch break.

Mondays is the busiest day.

I don't know how long it takes for tourists but at least one hour wait.

Important: Dress properly...

Have seen tourist waiting all day because coming shirtless. :rolleyes:

Singlets are not recommended either.

The Immigrations office is located in Nathon, in the intersection to Samui Hospital.

A songthaew should cost 70 baht.

Fee is 1900 baht and you need 2 passport photos.

You fill out the application there, they have forms stamped "Samui immigrations".

Everyone goes early so longer wait then.

I always go after their lunch break.

Mondays is the busiest day.

I don't know how long it takes for tourists but at least one hour wait.

Important: Dress properly...

Have seen tourist waiting all day because coming shirtless. :rolleyes:

Singlets are not recommended either.

so t-shirt or shirt,short, flip flops? for the visa extension?

All depends on how long you are willing to wait. ;)

better pack my suit and tire biggrin.gif

Why do you need a tire? Expect to roll in do you?

All depends on how long you are willing to wait. ;)

better pack my suit and tire biggrin.gif

Why do you need a tire? Expect to roll in do you?

not suit looks tired lol meant tie annoyed.gif

Jeans, sneakers and a buttoned up polo shirt is more than acceptable on Samui (it's what the immigration people wear half the time).

It always works for me - never taken more than an hour - usually much less,

All good advice from PoorSucker. Listen and you should be ok.

Jeans, sneakers and a buttoned up polo shirt is more than acceptable on Samui (it's what the immigration people wear half the time).

i alway do mate and he is helping with somewhere else to and some good info

Eat his stew and politely decline the shots. Don't say you weren't warned! biggrin.gif

Eat his stew and politely decline the shots. Don't say you weren't warned! biggrin.gif

??????????????????????lol

Seems to me that if on a tourist visa, that they will only give 7 days extension or tell you to go down to the Malaysian border, if you want longer... ???

I've heard people arguing that on a number of times... Hope I am wrong!

This coming Monday, will probably be extra busy catching up with those not being able to do Friday, as a Holiday... there's going to be many people whining over the fact of having to pay 500 baht per day (x 3) for overstay, if they were due on Friday...

Seems to me that if on a tourist visa, that they will only give 7 days extension or tell you to go down to the Malaysian border, if you want longer... ???

I've heard people arguing that on a number of times... Hope I am wrong!

This coming Monday, will probably be extra busy catching up with those not being able to do Friday, as a Holiday... there's going to be many people whining over the fact of having to pay 500 baht per day (x 3) for overstay, if they were due on Friday...

No a 60 day tourist visa can be extended for 30 days for each entry. The 7 day extension is for the visa exemption. Both cost 1900 Baht.

A tourist visa can be extended by 30 days, a visa exempt entry cannot be extended.

But one can always apply for an extension at immigration, after the 30 day extension or when your permisison to stay ends. You will not get a real extension, but 7 days in which immigration considers your application for an extension, which of course will be deneid as you don't qualify and immigration doesn't expect to see you back.

As it is not a real extension, but a time to look into your application, it starts from date you apply for it. Normally this 7 days requires a ticket out of the country within 7 days.

A tourist visa can be extended by 30 days, a visa exempt entry cannot be extended.

But one can always apply for an extension at immigration, after the 30 day extension or when your permisison to stay ends. You will not get a real extension, but 7 days in which immigration considers your application for an extension, which of course will be deneid as you don't qualify and immigration doesn't expect to see you back.

As it is not a real extension, but a time to look into your application, it starts from date you apply for it. Normally this 7 days requires a ticket out of the country within 7 days.

OK so to be absolutely clear, the 30 day visa extension does NOT apply to the 30 day visa on arrival? I flew in to Koh Samui on July 17 on an american passport and got the 30 day visa on arrival, and my return is not until Sept 16. So I will not be eligible for a 30 day extension by applying at the Koh Samui immigration office?

Just want to be absolutely clear because anecdotally there seems to be some confusion on what I hear from people about this. Unfortunately it's a saturday today so I can't call the office, and I need to book tickets to KL or SIN asap if only a 7 day extension is possible for me.

Thanks so much for clarifying, I really appreciate it!

You did not get a visa on arrival, that is something else. You got a visa exempt entry. Only a tourist visa can be extended by 30 days, a visa exempt entry (and a visa on arrival) not.

You have the option of applying for a tourist visa in a neighbouring country, which will cost 2,000 baht and give you an extra 60 days. You also have the option of leaving Thailand and re-entering. re-entering by air gives you 30 days, re-entering by land 15 days.

Hi just went to Nathon Immigration, they are very friendly.

Only one picture needed.

I was in tshirt, flip flop, no problem for me (but there is and ad "please dress politely").

Went at noon, it's open but they were hungry :D

And yes, 30 days extras if you have 2 months visa, otherwise 7 or 10, both cost 1900 bahts

Hi just went to Nathon Immigration, they are very friendly.

Only one picture needed.

I was in tshirt, flip flop, no problem for me (but there is and ad "please dress politely").

Went at noon, it's open but they were hungry :D

And yes, 30 days extras if you have 2 months visa, otherwise 7 or 10, both cost 1900 bahts

Have been going there three monthly for the last six years and always found them to be helpful and friendly, although they do from time to time look a bit stressed with the volume of people they are trying to process. In addition to dressing politely, it is good form to speak politely and if you are not getting what "you think" you should be getting, don't loose the plot, it will do you no good and anyway, why should they take the hassle when they are only trying to do their job. Have seen foreigners telling the staff they are cheats and liars and being very aggressive - for what!! Khun Nok is the front office Guy and Khun Khai is his young female assistant - good people from my experience.:jap: