New Report Chinese Food In Pattaya

DocW

Just to clarify (hopefully once and forever...) the "name and shame" policy we have here on thaivisa.

as my colleague Rimmer explained already, we (thaivisa) can be held liable for what you guys post here and the laws around this matter are rather strict in Thailand. Hence, we have to delete anything that can be construed defamatory to protect this website from possible law suits.

Instead, I suggest to give it a balanced review and if it was completely off, say something like....the beer was at the right temperature and do not mention the food....people here will get the message B)

Just to clarify (hopefully once and forever...) the "name and shame" policy we have here on thaivisa.

as my colleague Rimmer explained already, we (thaivisa) can be held liable for what you guys post here and the laws around this matter are rather strict in Thailand. Hence, we have to delete anything that can be construed defamatory to protect this website from possible law suits.

Instead, I suggest to give it a balanced review and if it was completely off, say something like....the beer was at the right temperature and do not mention the food....people here will get the message B)

By way of additional information ... The law goes further than just affecting Thaivisa. If an aggrieved party presses the matter, YOU as a member will be the one taken to court for defamation. And YOU will be the one needing legal representation and YOU will be the one having to face the consequences of your posts. Thaivisa will be required by court order to provide your account information, including IP addresses, to enable the aggrieved party's lawyers to serve court papers on YOU. Yes there may be some fallout for Thaivisa, but the primary reason for the name and shame rule, and why we remove such posts, is to protect YOU as member. So please be careful when posting.

This post has been provided for information only. No further discussion about moderation/policy on the open forum.

//Admin

had a great chinese last night, back in th UK though, shame cant get a decent one in Pattaya, the Indian food issue seems ok, well it is for me as Brit, shame the Brit style chinese cannot be done.

having said that having been to china, china town in new york and San fransisco, brit style chinese is differnt from the real thing, but i still prefer it.

• 3 months later...

Had a takeaway from China Garden last night. I enjoyed the quality and taste of the food as UK style Chinese which is what I was looking for, however the portions were extremely small, a total of 485 baht for food that was just enough for one and I do not have a large appetite.

had a great chinese last night, back in th UK though, shame cant get a decent one in Pattaya, the Indian food issue seems ok, well it is for me as Brit, shame the Brit style chinese cannot be done.

having said that having been to china, china town in new york and San fransisco, brit style chinese is differnt from the real thing, but i still prefer it.

Next time you are in town give China Garden a try.

Soi Lenkee.

Soi Lenkee.

And receive tiny portions as per my above post?

Soi Lenkee.

And receive tiny portions as per my above post?

Haven't been for a while and never had take away from there.

But I found the Ambiance, Quality, Portion size and Value for money all good.

Particularly on the set meals, maybe this has changed?

So now because the MOD has removed the name of the restaurant, we have an article which states that all chinese food in Pattaya is bad, thus widening the libel. Somebody please start a new post with the name of the restaurant and a more balanced review as mentioned above.

I think it is OK for me to say that Pattaya is not a good town for Chinese food. It's a crying shame! I thought it might get better with the Chinese tour buses but they seem to actually be OK with trying Thai food (smart of them being tourists in Thailand) or Thai-Chinese food as opposed to the Korean tourists who insist on actual Korean food (to our benefit).

Bangkok is a good city for Chinese food but there are real communication issues. At some of the more interesting regional Chinese restaurants, the staff doesn't speak English OR Thai (same with the menus). I was pleasantly surprised with Chinese food in Chiang Mai, much better options than Pattaya.

Edited by Jingthing

Nam Sing next to Royen Garden on 2nd Road has very good Chinese food (for Pattaya that is).

Right. For Pattaya that is ...

Exactly.

Also note some might avoid that place due to the shark fin promotions there.

Edited by Jingthing

Next time you should actually order some CHINESE food...you know, the stuff some 1.5 billion Chinese people in China actually eat and not some bastardized concoctions that people eat back in Blighty or the USA :lol:

Amusingly the western countries love "Chinese food" yet if presented with actual Chinese food the would refuse to eat it as its "not proper" chinese food !!!!

Well, that's not really true. In the US where I lived we had 2 kinds of Chinese restaurants. One was the fast food place, and yes, made for western tastes. But we have many authentic places, my favorites being Szechuan.

So now because the MOD has removed the name of the restaurant, we have an article which states that all chinese food in Pattaya is bad, thus widening the libel. Somebody please start a new post with the name of the restaurant and a more balanced review as mentioned above.

I think it is OK for me to say that Pattaya is not a good town for Chinese food. It's a crying shame! I thought it might get better with the Chinese tour buses but they seem to actually be OK with trying Thai food (smart of them being tourists in Thailand) or Thai-Chinese food as opposed to the Korean tourists who insist on actual Korean food (to our benefit).

Bangkok is a good city for Chinese food but there are real communication issues. At some of the more interesting regional Chinese restaurants, the staff doesn't speak English OR Thai (same with the menus). I was pleasantly surprised with Chinese food in Chiang Mai, much better options than Pattaya.

I guess my posting was deleted, as above

Next time you should actually order some CHINESE food...you know, the stuff some 1.5 billion Chinese people in China actually eat and not some bastardized concoctions that people eat back in Blighty or the USA :lol:

Amusingly the western countries love "Chinese food" yet if presented with actual Chinese food the would refuse to eat it as its "not proper" chinese food !!!!

Well, that's not really true. In the US where I lived we had 2 kinds of Chinese restaurants. One was the fast food place, and yes, made for western tastes. But we have many authentic places, my favorites being Szechuan.

I was working over in Macau last year for a local firm and they showed me some amazing food . These were spit the bones on the table shops, a tad filthy , and beer was prominent on the menu , but the food , oh the food .All sat at round tables we had goose stuffed with sticky rice , turtle baked in its shell , steamed garoupa seared with hot oil, deep fried duck tongues ,chicken knees , deep fried battered crab , steamed prawns , duck and chessnut stew and it went on like that . It was all prepared country kitchen style and served in heated earthen ware bowls . All washed down with Tsing Tao .Top food and cheap . I had lived in Hong Kong before but never come across some of these dishes . Maybe the culture is dying out , like the tutles .

Nam Sing next to Royen Garden on 2nd Road has very good Chinese food (for Pattaya that is).

Exactly.

As a dedicated scuba-diver that would normally be the case for me as well but as I live in Pattaya and the Chinese food options are so limited, I have to hold my nose...bite my tongue...and tuck into all the non-shark related dishes. Also, anyone I eat with is on notice that NO shark or shark-fin dishes will be allowed at our table anytime I am there. ;)

I was working over in Macau last year for a local firm and they showed me some amazing food . These were spit the bones on the table shops, a tad filthy , and beer was prominent on the menu , but the food , oh the food .All sat at round tables we had goose stuffed with sticky rice , turtle baked in its shell , steamed garoupa seared with hot oil, deep fried duck tongues ,chicken knees , deep fried battered crab , steamed prawns , duck and chessnut stew and it went on like that . It was all prepared country kitchen style and served in heated earthen ware bowls . All washed down with Tsing Tao .Top food and cheap . I had lived in Hong Kong before but never come across some of these dishes . Maybe the culture is dying out , like the tutles .

They have a distinctive blend of Chinese and Portuguese cooking in Macau called "Macanese" cuisine that is very good. It combines spices and cooking methods of the old colonial Portuguese power with the native Chinese cooking. It's quite distinctive.

Exactly.

As a dedicated scuba-diver that would normally be the case for me as well but as I live in Pattaya and the Chinese food options are so limited, I have to hold my nose...bite my tongue...and tuck into all the non-shark related dishes. Also, anyone I eat with is on notice that NO shark or shark-fin dishes will be allowed at our table anytime I am there. ;)

I agree. When in Rome, etc. I did try their beef black bean sauce chow fun dish there for 200 baht. Everything quite decent, chi of the wok and all that, but the overcooked beef was like shoe leather. It wouldn't have mattered if the beef was raw, the problem was the standard poor Thai beef itself. Edited by Jingthing

Exactly.

I agree. When in Rome, etc. I did try their beef black bean sauce chow fun dish there for 200 baht. Everything quite decent, chi of the wok and all that, but the overcooked beef was like shoe leather. It wouldn't have mattered if the beef was raw, the problem was the standard poor Thai beef itself.

What I often do in such situations is ask them to substitute pork for the beef. Pork is generally very good in Thailand and this works out good if you're not Jewish or Muslim.

What I often do in such situations is ask them to substitute pork for the beef. Pork is generally very good in Thailand and this works out good if you're not Jewish or Muslim.

Better to say if you don't eat Kosher or Halal. I don't think that particular dish really works well flavor-wise with pork though. Beef is perfect. I can also see it with squid.

post-37101-0-59844200-1322487058_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing