Pros And Cons Of Tiger G-Max 150 ?

wana

does anyone own one of these and are happy with it ? is it as quick as an elegance ? is it as comfortable as pcx ? how much gas does it burn per 100km or how many km would you roughly get to a tank of fuel ? has anyone done over 20 or 30k on one ?

is the small wheels a problem or does the bike handle well ?

doesnt seem to be many owners around to talk to but it looks ok on paper

pros seem to be :

(big comfortable seat ,.more storage space for full face helmets or shopping etc ,7 odd litre fuel tank, slightly more displacement at 150cc then the competition so possibly better top end speed on the freeway )

possible cons:

heavier +larger so maybe not faster than the others even though the engine is a little larger ,more difficult to weave through rush hour bangkok ,more dificult to park almost everywhere in central bkk ,maybe not so easy to get it fixed like the honda or yamaha equivalent ,resale value might possibly be worse since its not a big name and most thais will only buy japanese bikes ?

Don't think I've heard of this model before. Only know a couple of people who own a Tiger, some are ok and some are just terrible machines that keep developing faults.

None of them have this model though.

Edited by mrclough

It's a rebranded PGO.. Tiger have not sold that many. Even the new ones will be 2009 machines as that was the last order into the country from Taiwan but it comes with a 3 year/ 30,000km warranty from Tiger.

by all accounts it's a reasonable machine. I think that you have already realised the pro's and the cons. Now you just have to decide if it's the machine for you.

I have ridden one a short distance. acceleration is great, brakes are good. It has a big scooter feel. Top speed , not sure. google for info.

I dont see the pros good enough to not choose pcx. Havent tryed it, but 25cc cant make that much difference over pcx injection, and pcx really works great and have service and parts everywhere

pcx with Over full exhaust, modified variator for more power up the hills and better acceleration, and larger front rotor is my new local ride.

The Tiger G-max 150 is what remains of a cooperation between Tiger and PGO. PGO stopped mid-2008 making the PGO G-max 150 with carburetor and I think the nearest PGO model is now a 220cc fuel-injection scooter (not available in Thailand).

But the quality of the G-max 150 is sublime, road handling is very good, much better than the average Thai build scooter (more maxi-scooter quality). The engine is very easily to service and parts should not be a problem as Tiger has enough stock and PGO also has a distributor who has engine parts available.

The last time I checked with Tiger, the G-max was still nearly 70,000 THB... what is a bit high...

A few years back (3 or 4) I pruchased a new Tiger CX 125

Had repeated trouble with it. However, it would start easy after sitting 2 months. (trips back to the mother land)

After 1 year they could not get me the Green book so they gave me a new bike. This bike too I had trouble. 2 flat front tires. 2 flat rear tires, the rear sproket cam off 3 or 4 times sheeting the bolts and nearly killing me.

Though it was always serviced. Finding a dealer was few and far between.

It would take a wonderful bike at a wonderful deal to get me back on a Tiger.

happy owner of 6 hondas, 2 kawasaki's, and a dog of a Yamaha Mio 125 water cooled MX that I am trying to unload after just a few months and no customer support

(yes it is normal to only be able to go 88 kph and only get 30 kpl they say)

Looks nice but when I looked at it, the problem was no 'Fi' engine, the new model PGO in Taiwan has Fi engine but now bigger and not imported + and the price.... Same price + all the extra goodies + name = Honda PCX

The Tiger G-max 150 is what remains of a cooperation between Tiger and PGO. PGO stopped mid-2008 making the PGO G-max 150 with carburetor and I think the nearest PGO model is now a 220cc fuel-injection scooter (not available in Thailand).

But the quality of the G-max 150 is sublime, road handling is very good, much better than the average Thai build scooter (more maxi-scooter quality). The engine is very easily to service and parts should not be a problem as Tiger has enough stock and PGO also has a distributor who has engine parts available.

The last time I checked with Tiger, the G-max was still nearly 70,000 THB... what is a bit high...

Now 64,500b + 1,500 registration

Now 64,500b + 1,500 registration

theres factory refurbished ones going for 50,000 thb (thats what id be interested in)

tank is actually 7.5 litres so the range might be decent enough between fill-ups

would it take the hammering abuse you can give an elegance though ? i use mine at wide open throttle nearly all the time (even from cold start with 2 people + luggage :) and apart from getting a bit noisier since new it hasnt skipped a beat

yet and the engine is yamaha warranteed for 50,000km

I'm just speculating but if a product or brand is good, people buy it.

You don't read much about Tiger and they've been around a long time, you should realize why.

You can buy a brand new piece of junk that will break down or kill you, or just get a used Japanese bike that won't have any problems other than looking old.

That Sym looks cool, but I wonder about its reliability too.

Edited by ttakata

Notice a few JRD 'Sanook' about + about the same size as G-Max/PCX, but cost new around 33,000 baht....... No idea if any good but lots of old and very old JRD's about

post-42643-0-51008100-1313407518_thumb.j

Edited by ignis

A good alternative for the Honda PCX 125 is the Sym Jet4 125, they both similar in size and pretty much the same performance while the Sym Jet4 125 is a good amount cheaper (43,900 THB).

3_sym-jet4-150-front-side.jpg

that looks beautiful but for 44,000 thb theyre never gonna sell it to the masses ,a new yamaha mio 125 liquid cooled is 44,000,

honda click or a scoopy costs about the same with the new PGMFI engine

i think they would have to go lower than 44,000 thb to take sales from honda and yamaha

A good alternative for the Honda PCX 125 is the Sym Jet4 125, they both similar in size and pretty much the same performance while the Sym Jet4 125 is a good amount cheaper (43,900 THB).

3_sym-jet4-150-front-side.jpg

that looks beautiful but for 44,000 thb theyre never gonna sell it to the masses ,a new yamaha mio 125 liquid cooled is 44,000,

honda click or a scoopy costs about the same with the new PGMFI engine

i think they would have to go lower than 44,000 thb to take sales from honda and yamaha

While the Sym Jet4 looks maybe simple, the secret is the road handling and powerful engine. The Sym Jet4 is also a global product like the Honda PCX 125 and is road legal in almost all countries in the world. The Honda Scoopy-i, Click or the Yamaha Nouvo Elegance are only sold in S-E Asia and are not road legal in most European countries. While the Honda PCX 125 and Sym Jet4 125 are both sold in Europe and the USA... In Europe (Germany) the Sym Jet4 125 is a popular alternative for the Yamaha X-Max 125.

One example is the maximum load in kilograms, the average Thai scooter is by the manufacturer classified to deal with 160kg load, the Sym Jet4 125 has a maximum load of 265kg...

Edited by Richard-BKK

i would love to see any 125cc engine pulling two 132.5KG guys up a steep hill but it does look quite sturdy for a 125 bike

theres only so much you can do with a 125cc engine and especially a low priced un-modified one at that

anyway ,i have yet to see anyone driving one of those in bangkok or any place/shop that sells them for that matter

would definately be up for a test to see ifs as good as its supposed to be but the whole dealer network thing puts me off chinese or taiwanese bikes a bit

even though there "should" be plenty spare parts its nearly always either more hassle or more expensive to fix an exotic bike in the local small soi when things

go wrong

Edited by wana

i would love to see any 125cc engine pulling two 132.5KG guys up a steep hill but it does look quite sturdy for a 125 bike

theres only so much you can do with a 125cc engine and especially a low priced un-modified one at that

anyway ,i have yet to see anyone driving one of those in bangkok or any place/shop that sells them for that matter

would definately be up for a test to see ifs as good as its supposed to be but the whole dealer network thing puts me off chinese or taiwanese bikes a bit

even though there "should" be plenty spare parts its nearly always either more hassle or more expensive to fix an exotic bike in the local small soi when things

go wrong

With your last statement you also eliminate the Tiger G-max 150 directly, as the GY-6 style engine of the G-max 150 is nothing a regular Thai motorcycle shop have worked on... Also parts would be less available than a Honda PCX 125...

But not forget that you can find still enough motorcycle repair shops in Thailand who look at the Honda PCX 125 as some sort of alien technology and have absolute no idea what to do with all the high-tech electronics...

go wrong

With your last statement you also eliminate the Tiger G-max 150 directly, as the GY-6 style engine of the G-max 150 is nothing a regular Thai motorcycle shop have worked on... Also parts would be less available than a Honda PCX 125...

But not forget that you can find still enough motorcycle repair shops in Thailand who look at the Honda PCX 125 as some sort of alien technology and have absolute no idea what to do with all the high-tech electronics...

apart from the fact that tiger seems to be famous for sending 2 mechanics on a motorbike to wherever youre broke down at then yes ,tiger engines will not be something the average mechanic will probably be overly familiar with

i am not here to criticise bikes made in korea or taiwan or wherever .the differnce is just support for the tiger bikes seems to be excellent ,especially in bangkok where id be using mine (close to the repair centre in chatujak and 30 odd km from the factory in samut prakan )

the other chinese brands might have good warranty service also ,ive probably just never heard about it because nobody owns one .....i would love to see more legit brands in thailand with a showrom in every town and an extensive ,but right now that isnt happening which is why people are still going to their dealer every 3 years and buying the next honda or yamaha when there could be similar bikes at half the price from other manufacturers

Notice a few JRD 'Sanook' about + about the same size as G-Max/PCX, but cost new around 33,000 baht....... No idea if any good but lots of old and very old JRD's about

A friend of mine had a JRD for 1 year - nothing but trouble on this brand new bike. Then it burned down, flames shooting out of it while he was riding it. The big JRD dealer in CM is gone...

70k for a PCX vs 65 for a G-Max is really a no-brainer...

A friend of mine had a JRD for 1 year - nothing but trouble on this brand new bike. Then it burned down, flames shooting out of it while he was riding it. The big JRD dealer in CM is gone...

70k for a PCX vs 65 for a G-Max is really a no-brainer...

if the price was that close id say ,youre right of course

but 50,000 for a Tiger rebufurnished G-MAX against 78,000 (thats how much they want for a pcx in bkk thesedays) is a differnt scenario

28.000 thb saved would buy a lot of gasohol 95 ,somewhere around 800-900 litres or at 7.5 litres per tank you could fill it to the neck 120 times and thats a lot of driving

if the G-Max scooter doesnt disentegrate in the mean time :)

but 50,000 for a Tiger rebufurnished G-MAX against 78,000 (thats how much they want for a pcx in bkk thesedays) is a differnt scenario

28.000 thb saved would buy a lot of gasohol 95 ,somewhere around 800-900 litres or at 7.5 litres per tank you could fill it to the neck 120 times and thats a lot of driving

Wow they have come down a lot then ?

When i was looking Sept last year the PCX at the local Honda was asking 69,000 baht, Tiger G-Max was asking 69,000 baht also...

Would love the red PCX but same Honda shop wants 74,500 for this colour., also asked in a non Honda motorbike shop that had one, they wanted 76,000

go wrong

in each Province there is at east one Honda dealer trained on all of PCX features, and skilled to repair. Cant say that about the others in this topic

When i was looking Sept last year the PCX at the local Honda was asking 69,000 baht, Tiger G-Max was asking 69,000 baht also...

Would love the red PCX but same Honda shop wants 74,500 for this colour., also asked in a non Honda motorbike shop that had one, they wanted 76,000

I paid 73k last week for red metallic and white pearl with black seat. included half decent pcx helmet, tax, compulsory, plates

Had to visit 6 delares to find both colors in stock

my friend called the tiger factory and there is in stock factory reconditioned ones for 50,000 and brand new for 63,000 or 64,000

the website confirms this also

http://www.tigermotor.co.th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=147:g-max&catid=36:motorcycle&Itemid=164

(it could be a push to get rid of them before an EFI version comes out or maybe an even bigger cc model ,who knows ? but it is unusual to see a bike price falling like that inside less than a year )

my friend called the tiger factory and there is in stock factory reconditioned ones for 50,000 and brand new for 63,000 or 64,000

the website confirms this also

http://www.tigermoto...ycle&Itemid=164

(it could be a push to get rid of them before an EFI version comes out or maybe an even bigger cc model ,who knows ? but it is unusual to see a bike price falling like that inside less than a year )

To be fair i think they have just seen the light and are clearing stock at a discount (not many Thai companies do this)

The reports of the PGO150 that i have read have tended to be favourable. But as Richard and myself pointed out they are older models (2008) hence Tiger discounting them to make them a decent buy.

And the good part of the Tiger (PGO) G-Max 150 is that a lot of accessories are available which are also available for the Honda PCX 125.

For example the G-Max 150 is the only other scooter available in Thailand for which J Costa has a Variator speed control available... and lots of more international performance parts can be found...