Thai Drivers

midas

As an old buddie of mine used to say "Never drive in a country that believes in reincarnation" ...don't know where he got this from but occassionally I wished I'd heeded the advice

Unfortunately it is not only driving that can be dangerous ... try being a pedestrian or a passenger in public transport. Your putting your life in somebody elses hands who doesn't give a <deleted> because he/she believes in reincarnation not only for themselves but you too.

So perhaps it should be "Never visit a country that believes in reincarnation"

Yes especially when you have impatient and inconsiderate motocy drivers coming up between the queue to pile out in front of the rest of traffic because they somehow believe they're privileged or entitled to do so, it is illegal BTW just like anywhere else, nobody has mentioned that little tidbit..

It is only illegal if the motorbikes are past the STOP line as I have mentioned that before. Sounds like you're suffering from ME1ST syndrome.

No it isn't! There is no center lane between car lanes explicitly for a motocy, it is illegal to drive up between cars either while in motion or standing still what planet do you come from?? It's also illegal to pass on the left if you want to get really technical about it.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is quite funny.......

All I can say is some of you folks need a hobby or something to divert this pent up anger you hold against Thai's. Its interesting. While you harbor this angst the Thai folks are going about their daily lives, probably what most of you should be doing too.......biggrin.gif

Today I rode my Moto over near Nakhom Pathom to look at some old CJ Jeeps. I Met a few nice guys, we laughed, They offered me lunch. Their Mom was very nice and accommodating. I had zero issues both there and back with Thai drivers only thing that surfaced, which was easy to avoid, was the BIB had a dragnet going and I just dropped a gear and blew out onto the big road and it was a moot point.

All I can say is some of you folks need a hobby or something

Well for some folks, posting here is a hobby. :D

^ Fair point. I guess at the end of the day if it makes them feel better, then more power to them. Just seems counterproductive to get wound up and vent about something they have absolutely ZERO control over....

As an old buddie of mine used to say "Never drive in a country that believes in reincarnation" ...don't know where he got this from but occassionally I wished I'd heeded the advice

No it isn't! There is no center lane between car lanes explicitly for a motocy, it is illegal to drive up between cars either while in motion or standing still what planet do you come from?? It's also illegal to pass on the left if you want to get really technical about it.

FWIIW, In the US you can cut cars in any lane moving or not. The law is no more then 5mph over the the traffic speed up to the stated road speed. You can also cut up to the front and queue at the light. I used to meet up with many a Moto cop and they usually give you a nod and will even move over to give you some room.

I have not been able to find anything stating what the specifics are here but I just do like the other 5 million scooters and motorcycles do here.

FWIIW, In the US you can cut cars in any lane moving or not. The law is no more then 5mph over the the traffic speed up to the stated road speed. You can also cut up to the front and queue at the light. I used to meet up with many a Moto cop and they usually give you a nod and will even move over to give you some room.

I have not been able to find anything stating what the specifics are here but I just do like the other 5 million scooters and motorcycles do here.

Absolute rubbish!! I've been driving in the States professionally for more then 30 years and there is no such allowance.. Don't try to pass off some hypothetical nodding motocy cops as justification to break the law, try it and you'll get pulled over..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Absolute rubbish!! I've been driving in the States professionally for more then 30 years and there is no such allowance.. Don't try to pass off some hypothetical nodding motocy cops as justification to break the law, try it and you'll get pulled over..

Let me clarify. I speak of California. Not sure what state you rode in. I have been riding for as long as you. Never been pulled over, never been ticketed and met hundreds of police at lights. So I guess I have been lucky hundreds of times.

In another topic I just read about Buddhism and the inner and outer circle...
could you link ?

Maybe another poster can help... I read the topic earlier today' date=' but I can't remember exactly which topic it was (in Thaivisa.com).

[/quote']

I'd also be interested in reading that other discussion ... which forums have you been hanging out in today (no need to incriminate yourself here) ;) ... just be good to find it. cheers

A post in which the quoted post had been changed with altered wording has been removed as well as a reply to it.

30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.

Let me clarify. I speak of California. Not sure what state you rode in. I have been riding for as long as you. Never been pulled over, never been ticketed and met hundreds of police at lights. So I guess I have been lucky hundreds of times.

I've driven in Ca. too. As I said, "professionally" which means I have to have a broad knowledge of road rules across the entire country, why did I have to have that? Because I towed my own racing rig and it required a CDL license..

Yes you have been lucky hundreds of times is that so surprising over 30 years of driving? It's still illegal just because you were lucky enough never to get "pulled over" doesn't mean it's legal. Thousands of people speed too, including me when I can and it's still illegal.

Having made a journey to Khorat and back today, around 300km on Route 24, I can honestly say that the majority of Thai drivers are out to kill you.

Care to elaborate a bit with some specifics or should I read it as funny post? Just asking for clarity reasons as I want to understand what you perceive as wanting to kill you.

I'm sorry for the late reply to this query, my weekends are my busy days.

That post was a little bit tongue in cheek, I've found that the only way to drive any distance here and maintain some form of sanity, is to assume that every other driver on the road, irrespective of nationality (but we are in Thailand) is totally self centred and cares not one jot about your well being.

If you want me to be specific. On that particular route I took the other day, the stretch between Prackon Chai and Nang Rong is the worst, three near head-ons, one of which was a psycho-bus, one Fortuner and one ute of unknown origin who just assume that flashing their lights at me would make me get out of the way, even though I had nowhere to go, and one particularly brain dead individual who tried to use the cycle-lane to undetake me while I was looking to see if I could overtake the lorry in front of both of us.

This is in the space of 20km.

After that it gets a little easier, as it becomes four lanes with a central divide, all you have to contend with then is the driver that cuts in front of you to turn left, the driver who can't be bothered to drive in the right direction and use the u-turn and drives against the traffic flow instead, getting stuck behind one bus overtaking another bus and having a third bus hanging off your tail sounding his horn.

Are Thai drivers considerate of other road users?

Answer - No.

What is this topic about, the answer is simple Thai drivers have no consideration of others. The same as the people who push in front at a cue, or workmen who get paid up front (don't do it fella) and do a shit job and raise their shoulder in some ignomanious gesture, or even the idiot crossing the road in front of all the traffic and not even looking to see if anyone of the cars is slowing down. I believe it is down to lack of common sense and no idea of consequence. Village brains in out of village situations. my motherin-law had never been up an escalator and looked scared shitless, the father-inlaw can't even travel on a bus alone or he'll get lost. these people can not function in a modern world. saying that, what the <deleted> are people in bangkoks up to?

Edited by metisdead
Expletive deleted.

I disagree.....Hard to find anything specific on law and I doubt that WarpSpeed would be able to do so either to confirm his opinion but I did find this in WikiPedia

When a street is wide enough to accommodate several vehicles traveling side-by-side, it is usual for traffic to organize itself into lanes, that is, parallel corridors of traffic.

Now I'm sure all drivers would have come upon this at some time or another. If WarpSpeed was to be believed, then the near side lane could only move at the same or less speed than the offside. For the near side to move faster than the offside would in his opinion be passing on the left and illegal. But that is not the case, you'll find it a thousand times a day that either lane of traffic is allowed to move independantly of each other. And I doubt that you'll find a single policeman anywhere that disagrees.

Those parallel corridors don't all have to be cars. If the road is not wide enough to accommodate side-by-side cars it probably could accommodate motorbike-car-motorbike if all the cars aligned themselves properly headlight to taillight rather than the zig zag you tend to find here. This would allow motorcycles to pass freely on the inside or outside of the "stuck in traffic" cars allowing them to continue on their journey. To say that the motorcycles should stand stationary along with the cars is surely against good traffic management which would be to "keep it flowing".

To any car driver that does not like it that a motorbike can do as I've advocated above while he/she is stuck stationary I say "IF YOU DON"T LIKE IT, JOIN US...GET A MOTORBIKE"

When I first came to Thailand I had a car. It used to take me ages to get anywhere being continually stuck in traffic and when I got to my destination it was often hard to park. I sold the car and bought a motorbike. Now I get to my destinations much quicker and can generally park with ease. Do I miss the car...NO. Perhaps a little when it's raining, but that's all.

KKK

Reading you posts on this thread, I take it you don't care much for Thai people. :rolleyes:

It is not a matter of liking or not liking it is a matter of knowing what/who you're dealing with.

And while we're on the subject just how much do you think the average Thai cares about Farang?

Zilch. And why should they? We are all aliens here.

Because we are all human beings regardless of race, religion, color etc. Treat others as you would expect to be treated by them. With no consideration for others you're heading for chaos. Which basically is what Bangkok traffic is.

Edited by KKK

Hey to expand on this a bit, Is it only Thai's that are the inconsiderate drivers ?

I mean let's be fair. This thread makes it appear that Thais are the only inconsiderate drivers in the world and you are all appalled by it somehow.

In the country you come from does everybody behave like stellar model citizens? Always let you in? Headlights and tailights functional all the time? They never get mad? Never block your driveway? Park their 4 or 5 cars on their lawns? Cut you off then blame you? Dive into a parking place you were waiting for? Tailgate then flash lights or honk their horns? Wont let you merge in? Honk and scream at you if they think you are not acting in a way they think you should?

I seriously doubt it is any different where you come from. Sure there are a few things that are a bit skewed here but over all after driving here for 4 or so years and then visiting other countries I found the same level of behavior, give and take a few oddities. The reality is people get in their vehicle of choice and they feel empowered and that everything outside the confines of their car does not matter. No country with motor vehicles is free of this. It comes with the territory.

Personally I enjoy driving here knowing that there are not cops hiding in tree areas with radar waiting to give me at ticket for doing 27 in a 25. Or not completely stopping at a stop sign, or parking with my bumper 3"inches into a red zone or handicap spot, or turning into a bike lane too soon to make a right. The Ticky Tacky BS that happens in California is enough to make you go nuts. Of course coupled with that are exorbitant fines, traffic school and insurance hike rates. I will take Thailand, its drivers and laws any day over California.

there are not cops hiding in tree areas with radar waiting to give me at ticket

Thai cops were waiting in the tree area front of my village yesterday ready to pounce on any motorbike who had a helmetless driver or pillion passenger.

It's not just California.....

Hey to expand on this a bit, Is it only Thai's that are the inconsiderate drivers ?

I mean let's be fair. This thread makes it appear that Thais are the only inconsiderate drivers in the world and you are all appalled by it somehow.

In the country you come from does everybody behave like stellar model citizens? Always let you in? Headlights and tailights functional all the time? They never get mad? Never block your driveway? Park their 4 or 5 cars on their lawns? Cut you off then blame you? Dive into a parking place you were waiting for? Tailgate then flash lights or honk their horns? Wont let you merge in? Honk and scream at you if they think you are not acting in a way they think you should?

I seriously doubt it is any different where you come from. Sure there are a few things that are a bit skewed here but over all after driving here for 4 or so years and then visiting other countries I found the same level of behavior, give and take a few oddities. The reality is people get in their vehicle of choice and they feel empowered and that everything outside the confines of their car does not matter. No country with motor vehicles is free of this. It comes with the territory.

Personally I enjoy driving here knowing that there are not cops hiding in tree areas with radar waiting to give me at ticket for doing 27 in a 25. Or not completely stopping at a stop sign, or parking with my bumper 3"inches into a red zone or handicap spot, or turning into a bike lane too soon to make a right. The Ticky Tacky BS that happens in California is enough to make you go nuts. Of course coupled with that are exorbitant fines, traffic school and insurance hike rates. I will take Thailand, its drivers and laws any day over California.

This thread makes it appear that Thais are the only inconsiderate drivers in the world and you are all appalled by it somehow.

no it's not. In California you don't act within the value system of a religion that pervades every aspect of

life as Thai's do here. A religion which is meant to display tolerance, making merit and strong belief in karma.

it seems quite apparent from the comments here that for some reason Thai's seem to forget some of the main points of this religion when they are on the road?

Edited by midas

This thread makes it appear that Thais are the only inconsiderate drivers in the world and you are all appalled by it somehow.

no it's not. In California you don't act within the value system of a religion that pervades every aspect of

life as Thai's do here. A religion which is meant to display tolerance, making merit and strong belief in karma.

it seems quite apparent from the comments here that for some reason Thai's seem to forget some of the main points of this religion when they are on the road?

OK..I think I am getting this now. We somehow believe that their religion should make them more considerate drivers if they adhered to their core religion beliefs?

Hmmmm. Well I never debate about religion and/or politics. Cant stand either so I guess I am out on this thread now.

Happy Motoring.....Don't drive angry.....

OK..I think I am getting this now. We somehow believe that their religion should make them more considerate drivers if they adhered to their core religion beliefs?

Hmmmm. Well I never debate about religion and/or politics. Cant stand either so I guess I am out on this thread now.

Happy Motoring.....Don't drive angry.....

fair enough :D let's hope we are a long way away from anger you had on California freeways during the 90s :(

I remember seeing bumper stickers on the back of cars which said " don't shoot, i'll pull over "

A religion which is meant to display tolerance, making merit and strong belief in karma.

I fail to see how any of the above has anything to do with consideration for others.

Of all the buddhist beliefs I would think that compassion is the only one applicable here. Unfortunately it does seem to be lacking in todays Thai society.

OP you do understand that letting space for motorbikes to go up front if what causes 50% of the thai traffic?

Motorbikes are so EFFIN slow, having to pass them at every light and then them coming back up and blocking your way is what makes everyone miss every green light.

Keeping them in the back would make the traffic better and SAFER.

Its inconsiderate to let them pass.

Absolutely spot on.....

Do you drive a Ferrari?? Unless you have a top sports car you stand no chance of matching most motorbikes' acceleration!

p.s. If you do have a Ferrari, please get in touch with me :lol:!

Most of the time, it's not so much a question of acceleration power than of reaction time. Most driver take 5 sec after green to put in 1st gear and slowly pull away, almost coming to a stand-still for shifting into 2nd. Of course, most motorbikes are faster, but if you have even a medium powerful car and good reaction time and all start when it's actually green (not 5 sec early), then I out-accelerate most motorbikes.

(PS: Not a Ferrai, but a 420HP S5)

I can tell you drivers in general act a lot better where i come from. Yes there are idiots but not as many and they dont pull as many crazy stunts as here. My friend who is an Dutch policeman was here with me for a while he really found it totally crazy here.

I can tell you one thing he knows traffic and is on the road a lot. So yes Thai drivers are a lot worse. But sure there are others who are bad too but not in those kind of numbers that we see here.

I vote more are inconsiderate, selfish and dangerous or just plain can't drive properly more than those who are considerate and good drivers. That is true of everywhere but I think the proportions are higher in the inconsiderate category here, than many other places. Just today I had a guy on a bike turn right out of his soi into the MIDDLE lane of a three way dual carriageway going the wrong way (to avoid a metal plate in the road) at speed whilst two cars tried to squeeze past me at the same time in the right hand lane. A little further up the road a guy indicated right and just pulled right in front of me in traffic without looking (there wasn't space for him', a little further up the road parked taxis parked in the left lane at a bus stop forced the buses into the middle lane, well half way between the middle and outer land so NO-ONE can pass. Every time I signal to change lanes into an available gap the morons behind ACCELERATE to try to stop me changing lanes - this happens EVERY day. Thais are on the whole pretty poor drivers with little consideration for anyone else but that is just because on the whole they are a pretty selfish bunch. Guess they must be taught that way!

but if you have even a medium powerful car and good reaction time and all start when it's actually green (not 5 sec early), then I out-accelerate most motorbikes.

Must be a good feeling, and then you have to wait for them at the next redlight. :rolleyes:

Lane splitting is legal in California.

Sure seems to be legal here too.

Not only legal but a requirement. B)

If you mean "traffic organized into lanes, that is, parallel corridors of traffic." then I've no idea about it being legal or a requirment but it sure does seem sensible, safe and a good way to help keep the traffic flowing.

OP you do understand that letting space for motorbikes to go up front if what causes 50% of the thai traffic?

Motorbikes are so EFFIN slow, having to pass them at every light and then them coming back up and blocking your way is what makes everyone miss every green light.

Keeping them in the back would make the traffic better and SAFER.

Its inconsiderate to let them pass.

Absolutely spot on.....

Do you drive a Ferrari?? Unless you have a top sports car you stand no chance of matching most motorbikes' acceleration!

p.s. If you do have a Ferrari, please get in touch with me :lol:!

Most of the time, it's not so much a question of acceleration power than of reaction time. Most driver take 5 sec after green to put in 1st gear and slowly pull away, almost coming to a stand-still for shifting into 2nd. Of course, most motorbikes are faster, but if you have even a medium powerful car and good reaction time and all start when it's actually green (not 5 sec early), then I out-accelerate most motorbikes.

You're right - to a certain extent. I was wrong saying "most motorbikes".

However, my automatic Honda Airblade easily out-accelerates all cars (that I have come across) and even most proper motorbikes.

Still looking for someone with a Ferrari though....:whistling:.....

I can tell you drivers in general act a lot better where i come from. Yes there are idiots but not as many and they dont pull as many crazy stunts as here. My friend who is an Dutch policeman was here with me for a while he really found it totally crazy here.

I can tell you one thing he knows traffic and is on the road a lot. So yes Thai drivers are a lot worse. But sure there are others who are bad too but not in those kind of numbers that we see here.

Yes, but once you get used to it driving is actually easier IMO.

As I said before, back in the UK most drivers were considerate, indicated their intentions etc. etc., but you could never be sure - there would always be the odd driver that would be indicating (or whatever) because they'd forgotten to turn their indicator off. Happens all the time here and we know it, so ignore indicators.

Here, you KNOW that the majority of drivers (Western ex-pats as well as Thais) will drive badly! So, you know where you stand - always assume that any driver in front or behind you will do anything and/or is not paying attention.

You're right - to a certain extent. I was wrong saying "most motorbikes".

However, my automatic Honda Airblade easily out-accelerates all cars (that I have come across) and even most proper motorbikes.

Still looking for someone with a Ferrari though....:whistling:.....

Surprisingly, my more-modest-than-most proton pulls away quicker from the lights than most cars I'm beside, and I don't think I have quick reactions or a heavy boot.

I put it down to an automatic transmission and an open window.

Its easy to forget how lucky we are with the standard of driving in Thailand, though equally, there may be great improvements that we could hope for and aim towards.

I was in a taxi back from the airport which had rear seat belts on Friday, and he never even offered a fixed price fare - just put his meter on, starting from 0 km, as we pulled away.

SC