Thai Drivers

midas

If you're referring to motorbike riders than I have to say the Thais are the most stupid inconsiderate idiots alive.

They just turn left from a sideroad on to a mainroad and never never look but pull straight out expecting car drivers to avoid them. This is not about driving "Thai style" put just plain stupidty and idiocy.

When they do it to me I put my hand on the horn and hold it there making sure everybody looks.Menace to all road users.

They just turn left from a sideroad on to a mainroad and never never look but pull straight out

This is normal. Don't know how long you have been driving in this country,but you better get used to this. :)

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

worst drivers ive ever saw in my life... selfish, ignorant and no road sense at all... Dont look when coming out of junctions, leaving full beam on, dont use mirrors, some r drunk, dont know how to use indicators and alot more but <deleted> me it sure drives me crazy

"poor manners" - isn't that a rather occidento-centric concept in itself?

\I feel that there are no more bad drivers in Thailand than any other country.

The standard of roads and safety may be poor but this seems to be used by many posters to imply some form of inherent national inferiority on behalf of Thais in relation to "farangs" who all seem to be such "perfect" drivers in every way????

you need to get out more coz thats wrong so wrong unless your living on a desert island

obviously Thais are inconsiderate drivers but funnily enough I prefer this. I know exactly where I stand, whereas back in the UK it was always 'will he/won't he' :lol:!

Isn't that the truth.

If it's possible for them to do something unbelievably selfish or stupid ............. they will do it.

If you're referring to motorbike riders than I have to say the Thais are the most stupid inconsiderate idiots alive.

They just turn left from a sideroad on to a mainroad and never never look but pull straight out expecting car drivers to avoid them. This is not about driving "Thai style" put just plain stupidty and idiocy.

When they do it to me I put my hand on the horn and hold it there making sure everybody looks.Menace to all road users.

They just turn left from a sideroad on to a mainroad and never never look but pull straight out

This is normal. Don't know how long you have been driving in this country,but you better get used to this. :)

Well I'm happy to inform you I wont be !! Have already spoken to insurance company previously about this and sooner or later I will NOT brake but mash them.

The insurance company has made it clear that I/You/We are in the right and I expect full recompense for damage to car.Have a telephone number tabbed to inner of car of IC.

Far far too much of this "This is Thailand" attitude-Its cowards like you who perpetuate this driving behaviour.

Edited by Chivas

Wish they'd sort out traffic system that could employ hierarchical right of way, as in all other person to person interactions here.

I do agree with the poster who said that there is a lot of frustration out there. Both on the part of locals (whether you're juggling the cash flow of an SME and trying to manage X hundred employees or you're trying to drive your songtaew/minivan/or bus as hard and fast as you can so you can hope to have 400 Baht in your pocket at the end of the day) and foreigners (well, just browse any of a thousand+ Thai Visa threads). It doesn't help that there are only going to be more and more cars and people vying for less space. It's pretty clear there's going to more LA style road rage (or Ming Jai intersection stabbing) type incidents until it's accepted as commonplace.

:)

p.s. I already avoid pay days and most major holidays. Just not worth it. There's not enough space out there. I can already do most of my business without leaving my properties, can simply fly somewhere else when I really want to get away, and I'll have my local fun on the Z axis... when the 80-85% are working.

Edited by Heng

OP you do understand that letting space for motorbikes to go up front if what causes 50% of the thai traffic?

Motorbikes are so EFFIN slow, having to pass them at every light and then them coming back up and blocking your way is what makes everyone miss every green light.

Keeping them in the back would make the traffic better and SAFER.

Its inconsiderate to let them pass.

Absolutely spot on.....

It may be normal but it is still WRONG.

I believe it is also contrary to whatever laws/highway code the Thais may have.

You're always going to have problems in a country where someone flashing their lights at you isn't kindly signalling to allow you through but instead is telling you to get outta their %4#& way... that and cars with windows often tinted as dark as a presidential motorcade so there is never any eye contact.

<br />Yes, I think Thai drivers are VERY considerate, borderline perplexing.  I could jump a huge queue, then try to merge back in at the very end, and people ACTUALLY LET ME IN!  <br /><br />If I do that at home I'd end up in a tree. <br /><br />That's not saying Thai drivers can't improve of course, quite a few of them should learn to look a little further ahead than the first 5 meters in front of their car.  And others shoudl learn that if they're merging into a main road, wanting to merge over to the very right for a U-turn, that it's OKAY to just merge into on the left, gain speed, and THEN merge to the right, not wait for a gap in traffic you can sail the Queen Mary through and accomplish it in one jump.  Duh. <br /><br />But I'm nitpicking.  Thai drivers are great.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Not sure where you drive in Thailand but really! The majority of Thai drivers are very ignorant, rude and downright dangerous.

Not to say some are not good but in general I have found them lacking in common sense as well as really having little idea of basic road sense. In addition to this they simply cannot drive a car properly. How many times do you see them drifting from lane to lane, consistently staying in the right lane etc. etc.?

My wife(Thai) and friends just shake their head in bewilderment at the stupidity of the Thai driving habits.

Courtesy is great when it happens but the majority of Thais do have a "me" "me" (read selfish) attitude which only leads to dangerous situations on the roads!

Yes, I agree :rolleyes:

You're always going to have problems in a country where someone flashing their lights at you isn't kindly signalling to allow you through but instead is telling you to get outta their %4#& way... that and cars with windows often tinted as dark as a presidential motorcade so there is never any eye contact.

Completely and utterly wrong !!!

The one and only part of the Highway Code that Thais abide by CORRECTLY is the use of lights (horn as well) to warn other road users they are there.

When you have 5 minutes check the Highway code-it is true that in Europe we do signal to other drivers with lights but on this occasion WE are wrong.

If you drove at home and flashed your lights and someone pulled out in front of you, and you subsequently plowed into them because they thought you were letting them out then they are at fault, not you.

Whats the Problem, drive to suit the Thai Way and its easy.:bah:

Right up to the point you plow into one, because you're driving "Thai style"

Then see if your excuse stands up in the Plod station after you've totalled a Merc driving Thai style......

Well, that's fine until one of them runs a red light and hits you or drives down the wrong side of the road in an illegal side-car bike without lights and you kill them, resulting in you paying dearly for it.

I don't think any of us are expecting them to be courteous drivers, we'd just like to them to obey the most important THAI road laws in the hope that we won't pay the ultimate price. Is that acceptable logic?

Edited by Galong

I love it when the wife says turn left on a red light and I refuse !!

In Buriram there are clear intersections where a green filter does give give you the opportunity to forward with care left whilst main light is on red.

You try explaining that its good to go here but not where the filter doesn't exist !!

First time I turn left on red and kill someone then there's hell to play-"Why did you go through a red light"

"Oh sorry everyone else does it"-well NO they dont, not when I'm driving...

Edited by Chivas

Wish they'd sort out traffic system that could employ hierarchical right of way, as in all other person to person interactions here.

I do agree with the poster who said that there is a lot of frustration out there. Both on the part of locals (whether you're juggling the cash flow of an SME and trying to manage X hundred employees or you're trying to drive your songtaew/minivan/or bus as hard and fast as you can so you can hope to have 400 Baht in your pocket at the end of the day) and foreigners (well, just browse any of a thousand+ Thai Visa threads). It doesn't help that there are only going to be more and more cars and people vying for less space. It's pretty clear there's going to more LA style road rage (or Ming Jai intersection stabbing) type incidents until it's accepted as commonplace.

:)

p.s. I already avoid pay days and most major holidays. Just not worth it. There's not enough space out there. I can already do most of my business without leaving my properties, can simply fly somewhere else when I really want to get away, and I'll have my local fun on the Z axis... when the 80-85% are working.

The frustration you refer to is a vicious cycle. I could imagine people are also frustrated in part because the driving conditions are so deplorable. And in anticipation of even more cars coming on the roads , I would have hoped by now that someone who is in charge of traffic police should actually start attributing a monetary value to the privilege of being able to park the car on the side of the road in the middle of a city centre or town? We already have double parking in the most hazardous and bizarre situations and I've even seen triple parking thereby channelling all the traffic into what becomes a very slow single lane and all because of what ? So that people can just stop at food stalls. Unbelievably selfish.

I realise maybe they cannot justify the cost of installing parking meters in Thailand in city centres and town centres, but surely they could implement a far more rigid and cost-effective system of traffic management in urban areas? It wouldn't cost much to paint a few lines and employ a parking attendant who can simply sell a ticket for a given amount of time?

Then see if your excuse stands up in the Plod station after you've totalled a Merc driving Thai style......

This is exactly what you said you will do from now on, after consulting your insurance company. :rolleyes:

This is exactly what you said you will do from now on, after consulting your insurance company. :rolleyes:

Does that that avatar of yours represent your intelligence per chance.

Go back and read again-I said that I would NOT drive Thai style and if some idiot turns left straight into me then sooner or later I'm NOT going to brake and mash them and said Insurance Company will back you/I up fully.

I'm NOT going to plow into anyone who is driving properly/normally-doesn't happen.

And on an aside I suspect that 90% dont have bike/car licences in the first place which puts them further out on a limb.

OP you do understand that letting space for motorbikes to go up front if what causes 50% of the thai traffic?

Motorbikes are so EFFIN slow, having to pass them at every light and then them coming back up and blocking your way is what makes everyone miss every green light.

Absolutely spot on.....

Do you drive a Ferrari?? Unless you have a top sports car you stand no chance of matching most motorbikes' acceleration!

p.s. If you do have a Ferrari, please get in touch with me :lol:!

Edited by F1fanatic

Well, that's fine until one of them runs a red light and hits you or drives down the wrong side of the road in an illegal side-car bike without lights and you kill them, resulting in you paying dearly for it.

I don't think any of us are expecting them to be courteous drivers, we'd just like to them to obey the most important THAI road laws in the hope that we won't pay the ultimate price. Is that acceptable logic?

Actually it's a very good lesson in defensive driving for the environment, if you keep too many of your old western style habits you're more likely to get run over or run over someone then adapting to the driving around you..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Absolutely spot on.....

Do you drive a Ferrari?? Unless you have a top sports car you stand no chance of matching most motorbikes' acceleration!

Sorry miss F1 you're out of your league once again. The only thing that prevents me or most cars from out accelerating these SCOOTERS here is the fact that there is a &lt;deleted&gt; hoard of them at the light in front of the cars, especially given that very few of them are F1 drivers such as yourself :whistling: ....

Will this do? Ferrari F430 :whistling:

It's not exactly a Ferrari more like a Ferrari copy and it looks very much like one and few people will know :rolleyes: ..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Actually it's a very good lesson in defensive driving for the environment, if you keep too many of your old western style habits your more likely to get run over or run over someone then adapting to the driving around you..

Precisely. Driving a motorbike its common sense to assume that everyone will drive badly and suddenly veer into your path without prior indication.

I made the mistake recently of assuming a farang would not do this....

So now I assume EVERYONE will, and drive accordingly.

Its far easier when you understand this. Back in the UK we all assumed other drivers would follow the 'rules', but every now and again would be caught out by someone who didn't.....

Personally, I have no problem with Thai driving - I know where I stand.

Absolutely spot on.....

Sorry miss F1 you're out of your league once again. The only thing that prevents me or most cars from out accelerating these SCOOTERS here is the fact that there is a &lt;deleted&gt; hoard of them at the light in front of the cars, especially given that very few of them are F1 drivers such as yourself....

I drive a scooter (Honda Air Blade) and can assure you that I leave cars in my dust..... :lol: , even when there are no other 'bikes around.

Unless you have a 'super car' - I challenge you to an acceleration race!

Edit - the only other vehicles that can match my acceleration is some of the 'proper' motorbikes.

Edited by F1fanatic

Actually it's a very good lesson in defensive driving for the environment, if you keep too many of your old western style habits your more likely to get run over or run over someone then adapting to the driving around you..

Precisely. Driving a motorbike its common sense to assume that everyone will drive badly and suddenly veer into your path without prior indication.

I made the mistake recently of assuming a farang would not do this....

So now I assume EVERYONE will, and drive accordingly.

Its far easier when you understand this. Back in the UK we all assumed other drivers would follow the 'rules', but every now and again would be caught out by someone who didn't.....

Personally, I have no problem with Thai driving - I know where I stand.

:shock1::w00t: Yes F1! Now yer talkin!! :intheclub:

Absolutely spot on.....

Sorry miss F1 you're out of your league once again. The only thing that prevents me or most cars from out accelerating these SCOOTERS here is the fact that there is a &lt;deleted&gt; hoard of them at the light in front of the cars, especially given that very few of them are F1 drivers such as yourself....

I drive a scooter (Honda Air Blade) and can assure you that I leave cars in my dust..... :lol: , even when there are no other 'bikes around.

Unless you have a 'super car' - I challenge you to an acceleration race!

Edit - the only other vehicles that can match my acceleration is some of the 'proper' motorbikes.

You honestly don't see how general a statement this is? You leave "CARS" in the dust?? Yes "cars" with less then average drivers and worse yet being held back by hoards of scooters who they wish not to drive over..

I don't drive anything close to a "supercar" and I'll gladly take your challenge when and where do we do it?? Sure for about 20 meters you'll get me, maybe about 20kph, but after that, not a chance once the cars momentum is overcome..

I had trouble editing so I got it posted too late, did you see my Ferrari offering??

Edited by WarpSpeed