Thai Drivers

midas

It's not always the Thai driver! Yesterday in Korat I made a legal right turn with a green arrow. My lane had "right-of-way" and continues with an open lane. The other outer right turn lane has to merge with my lane about 50 meters after the turn. (I hope this is clear) The car on my left tried to squeeze his way in to get in front of me by pulling up as close as he could to my car acting as if he wasn't going to stop. He stopped short of hitting me. He also had another problem in his way, a parked car. Traffic in front of me was stop and go, no one was going anywhere fast. Now this idiot is angry because he thinks I should have let him in. So he tailgates me now for at least 2kms flashing his lights like that is going to do any good. Once I we finally get to the main road with three lanes he blows by me, rolls down hi tinted windows a little ways and sticks out his arm and gives me the finger. Now Thais don't do that. What he doesn't know was the lady next to next to me is an off-duty Police woman who I was giving a friendly lift downtown. During this whole affair she was laughing her head-off. At one point I suggested I stop and get out an confront him. She said I you do that, then I might end up having to shoot him if he attacks you and she didn't need the paper work. She instead took down his license plate number (** 3*5*9) and will keep note of it. When he drove by she could see he was a Farange. So I don't dispute her at all. Good going Jerk!

I've seen other Foreigners do stupid things so its not always the Thais that drive with the head up their arse.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't matter what or who you can out accelerate on your bike. It does matter what every big on the road does and in general the pull away from the lights slowly. It doesn't matter even if 90% of bikes pull away quickly, it only takes one slow bike to block a lane.

IMO this bikes vs cars issue is a bit daft - this issue here is that many riders and drivers, bike or car pull away from the lights so slowly it's painful. It's not about what the vehicles can achieve or a school yard debate regarding my bike is faster than your car, I challenge you etc....

I too find it annoying that if I am at the front of the traffic at a set of lights, bikes will thread through the traffic and stop in front of me and then pull away slowly - it only takes one bike to block me no matter how fast the first guy off the lights is. Invariably I am also behind other cars who also pull away from the lights slowly. The simple fact is that while some motorists might disagree, bikes have as much right to be in the road as we car drivers do, I just which that in general they would not take such a kamakaze attitude to riding.

I consider I have saved a number of lives by taking avoiding action - I imagine many other drivers have too.

Do you drive a Ferrari?? Unless you have a top sports car you stand no chance of matching most motorbikes' acceleration!

p.s. If you do have a Ferrari, please get in touch with me :lol:!

Sorry miss F1 you're out of your league once again. The only thing that prevents me or most cars from out accelerating these SCOOTERS here is the fact that there is a <deleted> hoard of them at the light in front of the cars, especially given that very few of them are F1 drivers such as yourself....

I drive a scooter (Honda Air Blade) and can assure you that I leave cars in my dust..... :lol: , even when there are no other 'bikes around.

Unless you have a 'super car' - I challenge you to an acceleration race!

Edit - the only other vehicles that can match my acceleration is some of the 'proper' motorbikes.

You honestly don't see how general a statement this is? You leave "CARS" in the dust?? Yes "cars" with less then average drivers and worse yet being held back by hoards of scooters who they wish not to drive over..

I don't drive anything close to a "supercar" and I'll gladly take your challenge when and where do we do it?? Sure for about 20 meters you'll get me, maybe about 20kph, but after that, not a chance once the cars momentum is overcome..

I had trouble editing so I got it posted too late, did you see my Ferrari offering??

I think its time we sent PMs as we're getting off-topic, but I look forward to checking how fast your car can accelerate compared to my bike.

It doesn't matter what or who you can out accelerate on your bike. It does matter what every big on the road does and in general the pull away from the lights slowly. It doesn't matter even if 90% of bikes pull away quickly, it only takes one slow bike to block a lane.

IMO this bikes vs cars issue is a bit daft - this issue here is that many riders and drivers, bike or car pull away from the lights so slowly it's painful. It's not about what the vehicles can achieve or a school yard debate regarding my bike is faster than your car, I challenge you etc....

I too find it annoying that if I am at the front of the traffic at a set of lights, bikes will thread through the traffic and stop in front of me and then pull away slowly - it only takes one bike to block me no matter how fast the first guy off the lights is. Invariably I am also behind other cars who also pull away from the lights slowly. The simple fact is that while some motorists might disagree, bikes have as much right to be in the road as we car drivers do, I just which that in general they would not take such a kamakaze attitude to riding.

I consider I have saved a number of lives by taking avoiding action - I imagine many other drivers have too.

You're right, when slow bikes move in front of cars.

I agree, so I just rev my engine and roll up on them to give them forewarning and they look back and then when the light turns they move into the lane with the slow cars or pull away at a respectable speed I find it also helps to have a manual tranny as mentioned in another thread so I can rev my car really high in first gear when I'm leaving and they know I'm taking no prisoners..

You're right, when slow bikes move in front of cars.

Oh <deleted> that's what the original post was about that you vehemently disagreed with!! The preponderance of Thai riders on their scooters, not miss F1 on her super drag racing 125 Honda Air blah blah :rolleyes: ..

I love it when the wife says turn left on a red light and I refuse !!

In Buriram there are clear intersections where a green filter does give give you the opportunity to forward with care left whilst main light is on red.

You try explaining that its good to go here but not where the filter doesn't exist !!

First time I turn left on red and kill someone then there's hell to play-"Why did you go through a red light"

"Oh sorry everyone else does it"-well NO they dont, not when I'm driving...

I sure as heck turn left at a red light, obviously when it's clear. It's also legal in the US to turn right at a red light (the US drives on a different side), again, assuming it's clear. I get seriously agitated when I'm at an intersection waiting to turn left at a red light and the guy in front of me refuses to go, even with no car in sight. That must be you!

worst drivers ive ever saw in my life... selfish, ignorant and no road sense at all... Dont look when coming out of junctions, leaving full beam on, dont use mirrors, some r drunk, dont know how to use indicators and alot more but <deleted> me it sure drives me crazy

Must be your creative imagination....or inability to adapt. Surely not every Thai driver is as you say--a small minority in my experience. What's wrong with you people? Driving in Thailand isn't that hard. Drivers here are not much different than anywhere else, IF you understand the rules of the road. Sure there are crappy drivers--just like everywhere else on the planet. But I have no problem driving here whatsoever. Even prefer it here to the USA. Less PC BS, and no cops hiding at every freakin corner.

But I have to say, if you're older than dirt and feel adamant that everyone should obey the speed limit, then Thailand is not for you.

I love it when the wife says turn left on a red light and I refuse !!

In Buriram there are clear intersections where a green filter does give give you the opportunity to forward with care left whilst main light is on red.

You try explaining that its good to go here but not where the filter doesn't exist !!

First time I turn left on red and kill someone then there's hell to play-"Why did you go through a red light"

"Oh sorry everyone else does it"-well NO they dont, not when I'm driving...

I sure as heck turn left at a red light, obviously when it's clear. It's also legal in the US to turn right at a red light (the US drives on a different side), again, assuming it's clear. I get seriously agitated when I'm at an intersection waiting to turn left at a red light and the guy in front of me refuses to go, even with no car in sight. That must be you!

:lol:

I have found them mostly courteous and understanding....just today a black pickup was trying to give my backside a hug......not 2m off my tail he was....which at 80/90 clicks is quite close........i hit my brakes to wake him in case he had dozed off.......I watched with the normal anticipation glee in the mirror as to what might unravel next.....i heard his tyres screech and he near flew backwards 20m or so. To his credit he remained about 10m behind me until we hit a double lane where he flew past at circa 130k's.

As for Monks.....I have now picked up 3 at different times over the last 3 years and each and everyone wanted cash from me when i dropped them off. One group I dropped in town we told we were not going all the way and would drop them off where they could easily get a ride, a baht bus or walk if have to as we were running late for an appointment.....they tried to insist on us taking them all the way...then asked for money on top........another 2 insisted on squeezing into the back of the pickup instead of in the tray where they were told to git.....and squeezed my kids up against the windows after all their pots and rice bowls and crap was shunted in.......and stink....crikey the todd river has a pleasant odour by comparison.

never again will I pickup monks.......dam_n me to hell if they like..

Edited by Dag

The only accident I've ever had was with a farang, who was drunk at the time. He cut in front of me while I was waiting for a red light, clipping the front of my car. Then he accused ME of hitting HIM -- even though I had been stationery at the time. No problem, we call police I say. Uh Uh Uh...he didn't have a license. Please don't call the police, he says. Too late, I says. Som nam na.

I have found them mostly courteous and understanding....just today a black pickup was trying to give my backside a hug......not 2m off my tail he was....which at 80/90 clicks is quite close........i hit my brakes to wake him in case he had dozed off.......I watched with the normal anticipation glee in the mirror as to what might unravel next.....i heard his tyres screech and he near flew backwards 20m or so. To his credit he remained about 10m behind me until we hit a double lane where he flew past at circa 130k's.

As for Monks.....I have now picked up 3 at different times over the last 3 years and each and everyone wanted cash from me when i dropped them off. One group I dropped in town we told we were not going all the way and would drop them off where they could easily get a ride, a baht bus or walk if have to as we were running late for an appointment.....they tried to insist on us taking them all the way...then asked for money on top........another 2 insisted on squeezing into the back of the pickup instead of in the tray where they were told to git.....and squeezed my kids up against the windows after all their pots and rice bowls and crap was shunted in.......and stink....crikey the todd river has a pleasant odour by comparison.

never again will I pickup monks.......dam_n me to hell if they like..

I thought monks were supposed to walk, not hitchhiking. :rolleyes:

The only accident I've ever had was with a farang, who was drunk at the time. He cut in front of me while I was waiting for a red light, clipping the front of my car. Then he accused ME of hitting HIM -- even though I had been stationery at the time. No problem, we call police I say. Uh Uh Uh...he didn't have a license. Please don't call the police, he says. Too late, I says. Som nam na.

Well done i hate drunk drivers, Thai or foreigner.

Bu i must say Thai drivers in general are real bad, but it probably has something to do with the fact there is no real enforcement of the law. Im pretty sure the West would look the same if we were brought up without enforcement of the law.

Doesnt mean i dislike it or think they are plain idiots.. but it does explain it.

OP you do understand that letting space for motorbikes to go up front if what causes 50% of the thai traffic?

Motorbikes are so EFFIN slow, having to pass them at every light and then them coming back up and blocking your way is what makes everyone miss every green light.

Keeping them in the back would make the traffic better and SAFER.

Its inconsiderate to let them pass.

Absolutely spot on.....

Do you drive a Ferrari?? Unless you have a top sports car you stand no chance of matching most motorbikes' acceleration!

p.s. If you do have a Ferrari, please get in touch with me :lol:!

lol at motorbikes r faster at the lights... scooters are slow and they get in my way coz they dont take off quick enough

worst drivers ive ever saw in my life... selfish, ignorant and no road sense at all... Dont look when coming out of junctions, leaving full beam on, dont use mirrors, some r drunk, dont know how to use indicators and alot more but <deleted> me it sure drives me crazy

Must be your creative imagination....or inability to adapt. Surely not every Thai driver is as you say--a small minority in my experience. What's wrong with you people? Driving in Thailand isn't that hard. Drivers here are not much different than anywhere else, IF you understand the rules of the road. Sure there are crappy drivers--just like everywhere else on the planet. But I have no problem driving here whatsoever. Even prefer it here to the USA. Less PC BS, and no cops hiding at every freakin corner.

But I have to say, if you're older than dirt and feel adamant that everyone should obey the speed limit, then Thailand is not for you.

If it was an age challenge lets just say you will be a dinosaur compared to my young age.... Also this thread is about bad thai driving which is very true not about me leaving thailand

If it was an age challenge lets just say you will be a dinosaur compared to my young age.... Also this thread is about bad thai driving which is very true not about me leaving thailand

Don't worry, Berkshire has NEVER experienced anything bad here....so it seems he mixes in quite well.....without notice so it seems.....an equal...cheesy.gif

Just drive in front of them, if theres 20cm of space, go ahead, scare the shit oiut of them and then they move next to the curb. Some might even learn something out of it.

Today i was driving on the highway, 85kph in fast lane, had to switch to slow lane to overcome an idiot. guess what. Farang on a motorbike close to the line in the middle of the slow and fast lane (when theres a half lane reserved for motorbikes)

hit that ass*ipe with my mirror(didnt see him though, my first time ever in many years ever coming close to hitting someone). Probably scared the shit out of him forever. GOOD. Im almost sad he didnt fall of and break a leg. I to drive a motorbike often but i keep my ass off the fking main road and i dont annoy cars unless theres really no way they can go any faster than if they stay behind me.

Thais are too nice to motorbikes, scare the shit out of them 2-3 times, they'll start sticking to side and looking left and right. Trust me, in my areas i see the same people everyday and those i have scared are most often driving carefully now. If you want to drive with the big boys get yourself a sports bike, no dumbass scooters in the middle of the highway. Same goes for the idiots turning right and going in the fast lane one km b4 the uturn spot and then talking on their motorbikes.. drive as close as you can to them and once you overtake them, 1 loud honk. At some point if everyone does this and they almost fall off.. They'll stop. Automatic response from the brain of even the dumbest person in the world.

Most Thai drivers still think they are waking with their waterbuffalo, They are just renegates in traffic. But is not alone the cardrivers.

Pedestrians at night like to cross the streest wearing dark clothes, you can hardly see them, I live near Tiwanon in Nonthaburi and I take this road very often at night going Pathum Thani. They standing or sitting on the concrete dividers and than suddenly crossing the streets.

What I see there at night is just unbelievable, 90% of all motorbikes have no rear light, wearing dark clothes an drive like a crazy switching from one lane to another, Seldom I see them driving on the left side of the road, Oh no they prefere to drive in the middle of the road. And not yet to mention the Saleangs who have completely no lights, Sometimes I think rear lights in BKK must be very expensive because most of trucks, motorbikes and even busses seems not having them.

And if all of that is not yet enough the favorite hobby seems to be driving in the wrong direction towards te upcomming traffic, motorbikes and cars alike, and motorbikes many times without put their lights on.

And lets not talk about if you like to switch lane, if they see you turn on your blinker they simpy speed up.

And indeed I think like someone wrote previuos, its all about frustrations they have to endure during daytime. In their car behind their heavy dark film they feel completey anonymous and they can workout their frustrations to be a pest in traffic.

Just drive in front of them, if theres 20cm of space, go ahead, scare the shit oiut of them and then they move next to the curb. Some might even learn something out of it.

Today i was driving on the highway, 85kph in fast lane, had to switch to slow lane to overcome an idiot. guess what. Farang on a motorbike close to the line in the middle of the slow and fast lane (when theres a half lane reserved for motorbikes)

hit that ass*ipe with my mirror(didnt see him though, my first time ever in many years ever coming close to hitting someone). Probably scared the shit out of him forever. GOOD. Im almost sad he didnt fall of and break a leg. I to drive a motorbike often but i keep my ass off the fking main road and i dont annoy cars unless theres really no way they can go any faster than if they stay behind me.

Thais are too nice to motorbikes, scare the shit out of them 2-3 times, they'll start sticking to side and looking left and right. Trust me, in my areas i see the same people everyday and those i have scared are most often driving carefully now. If you want to drive with the big boys get yourself a sports bike, no dumbass scooters in the middle of the highway. Same goes for the idiots turning right and going in the fast lane one km b4 the uturn spot and then talking on their motorbikes.. drive as close as you can to them and once you overtake them, 1 loud honk. At some point if everyone does this and they almost fall off.. They'll stop. Automatic response from the brain of even the dumbest person in the world.

Good Idea, till one of this day's that guy pump a bullit in your head when you stop on then next traffic light.

I hope some guy falls of his bike once and the police gets involved. I wonder who would be laughing then. Not you that is for sure.

I must say i have seen many Thai drivers going out o their way to let me pass when they are waiting for a light. Once they see i cant pass they move a bit. Not all but many do. They seem to be a lot more civilized as you.

I must say i have seen many Thai drivers going out o their way to let me pass when they are waiting for a light. Once they see i cant pass they move a bit. Not all but many do. They seem to be a lot more civilized as you.

I do like that also, I don't like my car is full off scratsches from motorbikes, I have already enough of them

i hit my brakes to wake him in case he had dozed off.......

Yes, that's always an intelligent response :rolleyes: . Just be forewarned if someone hits you like that regardless of who's fault it is the car in front will always be the loser at those speeds ..

I hope some guy falls of his bike once and the police gets involved. I wonder who would be laughing then. Not you that is for sure.

I don't agree with you - its not worth some poor chap suffering terrible injuries (or even minor injuries) just for the sake of teaching an idiot to drive. Unfortunately, if idiots were not allowed to drive, in Thailand most of us would simply pay more in bribes to stay on the roads, so either way, you have to put up with us. That's what defensive driving is all about - avoiding accidents when you're surrounded by idiots.

For my part, I drive as if I was trying to avoid a heart attack or upsetting my ulcers, and I rarely get upset by idiotic driving now; I think that if you drive sensibly, the idiots are laughable rather than upsetting.

SC

I do like that also, I don't like my car is full off scratsches from motorbikes, I have already enough of them

I just don't pass a car if i think i cant go past it. I got one of those new CBR250R's seems to make a better impression then when im riding my scooter. Also why block the road to a traffic light if you cant go any further yoursel. I always nod or make a friendly gesture when people act like this.

" do you think they are considerate? "

just based on the responses in this thread, it seems the " no's " have it :D

For me.. id say it depends on the person seen many real anti social drivers here cutting cue's staying on two lanes at the same time. While other times when i was trying to get to the front of a traffic light on my bike i have seen cars move out of the way to let me through (also had them deliberately block my way but that must have been the farang who also posted in this thread)