Police Asked Me 20 Bahts For Reporting Bank Passbook Lost

khman

We always seem to jump on the corruption bandwagon yet in this "world wide pay as you go society"it is now the norm to pay for what used to be "free services" - ask yourself about paying for a statuary declaration at your embassy - request for information under FOI is met with ok but ex cents/dollars per page. So yes it may be filed under corruption but maybe it should be expected in todays "pay as you go society".

Police reports should be free so any demand for money is corruption pure and simple. It is not a legitumate fee, does not go to improve police services but goes into the officers pocket. If the service was advertised as attracting a fee as do those by embassies then I for one would be happy to pay but they don't because they should be free.

Apetlyou are probably correct but hark back to the OP Is there a fee for such service honestly I don't know can you say for certain it is free??

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I have been lucky but I have never been mistreated by the BiB during my time in Thailand and the worst advice is for the OP to lodge a complaint if I were in charge I would have him laughed out of the station please come out and join the real world and the following is food for thought: :ph34r:

The Thai police are civil servants who are poorly paid for performing the kind of job that's often thankless and sometimes dangerous. Many are overworked, especially the hot day traffic shifts. If you need their services, then be prepared to tip them very well. (Of course, not as a bribe for favoritism, as that can get you in immeasurable trouble, but to support them in performing their duty of righteous service.) Give them the respect they deserve for their professionalism and experience. These guys have seen it all.

Maybe I have been lucky but I have never been mistreated by the BiB during my time in Thailand and the worst advice is for the OP to lodge a complaint if I were in charge I would have him laughed out of the station please come out and join the real world and the following is food for thought: :ph34r:

The Thai police are civil servants who are poorly paid for performing the kind of job that's often thankless and sometimes dangerous. Many are overworked, especially the hot day traffic shifts. If you need their services, then be prepared to tip them very well. (Of course, not as a bribe for favoritism, as that can get you in immeasurable trouble, but to support them in performing their duty of righteous service.) Give them the respect they deserve for their professionalism and experience. These guys have seen it all.

troll-la-la-la-la

We always seem to jump on the corruption bandwagon yet in this "world wide pay as you go society"it is now the norm to pay for what used to be "free services" - ask yourself about paying for a statuary declaration at your embassy - request for information under FOI is met with ok but ex cents/dollars per page. So yes it may be filed under corruption but maybe it should be expected in todays "pay as you go society".

Police reports should be free so any demand for money is corruption pure and simple. It is not a legitumate fee, does not go to improve police services but goes into the officers pocket. If the service was advertised as attracting a fee as do those by embassies then I for one would be happy to pay but they don't because they should be free.

Apetlyou are probably correct but hark back to the OP Is there a fee for such service honestly I don't know can you say for certain it is free??

Well wifey did work in the nearby police station and says they should be free, all but one of the reports I have needed in the past have been free. In fact I offered a small amount for my last report and through my friend who was with me was told that there was no need as it was free.

... buying them a bottle of whiskey would be the decent thing to do as a gesture of thanks.

Why do many farangs here have to associate thai men/policemen with alcohol & drinking.. "as always" ?wink.gif

Just showing your appreciation with a token of nice fruit basket...should be sufficient enough, this is what most thais do.smile.gif

I often come across many posts here that complaining much about..."I don't want to be looked or treated too differently than the locals". Then I would suggest you start learning from the locals how to go about doing many things "appropriately" the local way, in showing your thanks and appreciation to someone here.

they like drinking whiskey. Where my son goes to school there are police directing the traffic. Come Chrimbo time the principal comes out and gives them a bottle of Red label each for the year's service.

... buying them a bottle of whiskey would be the decent thing to do as a gesture of thanks.

Why do many farangs here have to associate thai men/policemen with alcohol & drinking.. "as always" ?wink.gif

Just showing your appreciation with a token of nice fruit basket...should be sufficient enough, this is what most thais do.smile.gif

I often come across many posts here that complaining much about..."I don't want to be looked or treated too differently than the locals". Then I would suggest you start learning from the locals how to go about doing many things "appropriately" the local way, in showing your thanks and appreciation to someone here.

they like drinking whiskey. Where my son goes to school there are police directing the traffic. Come Chrimbo time the principal comes out and gives them a bottle of Red label each for the year's service.

Well I'm a non-drinker and came from a non drinking family,so it's natural when giving a gift to someone that the first thing that come to our minds is …certainly a non-alcoholic stuff.

We have never given alcohol of any kind to our local policemen or any person with position. We don't think it's that appropriate. But if you're a drinker, then gifting someone with alcoholic stuffs may seem pretty normal thing to do, I guess

From my observation, "generally" most thais would give out a nice fruit basket, a flowers bouquet, cake, plants,or food stuffs etcs. as their top choices in showing appreciation and gratitude to someone. It didn't seem alcohol was the first thing in their mind.

Sure some policemen do like drinking, however like most thais, they're quite appreciative to get anything really that is enough to share with others in the unit too.....just saying.

The Thai police are civil servants who are poorly paid for performing the kind of job that's often thankless and sometimes dangerous

Luckily it's not mandatory to become a police officer. People who join the police, do it of free will as there are more money to be made than the official salary.

Edited by Semper

troll-la-la-la-la

Joe Ekkanai trolls engage in frivolous posts making no comment on the subject at hand - ""troll-la-la-la-la"" please for my benefit and for the benefit of the mod on this thread explain what connection your post had with the topic in hand.

RED LABEL.....How much ....how things have changed before you could palm them of with a bottle Sang Som whistling.gif

its 20 baht............come on.

Next thing you'll be complaining you have to pay 5 baht to take a slash. :rolleyes:

The going rate is 3 baht ..any more than that and you getting ripped of rolleyes.gif

:o I paid 5 bht :o, someone was on a good earner. Drat.

Next thing you'll be complaining you have to pay 5 baht to take a slash. :rolleyes:

The going rate is 3 baht ..any more than that and you getting ripped of rolleyes.gif

5 baht ...3 baht for a piss and 2 baht for little packet of toilet tissue .???

if they charge you 5 baht for a piss...pang mak mak rolleyes.gif

ask them to lot dai mai,,, and if they want,,,,tell them you will take you piss some there else then rolleyes.gif

5 baht ...3 baht for a piss and 2 baht for little packet of toilet tissue .???

if they charge you 5 baht for a piss...pang mak mak rolleyes.gif

ask them to lot dai mai,,, and if they want,,,,tell them you will take you piss some where else then rolleyes.gif

I WILL. The cheek of it. :huh:

It is probably a small fee to help pay for stationary and maybe a phone call costs.

Is likely that the amount charged is left up to the policeman’s discretion.

The problem is that many Westerners equate the Thai police force with the police back home.

The Thai police force is terribly under funded by the Government and in no way have the resources available to them as in the West.

They are required to buy their own uniforms, motorbikes and other types of equipment required for the job.

Yes indeed - for example if you talk to many of the Police Officers who take your statement for a Police Report you will probably find that the Typewriter he is using is actually his own personal property, he had to buy it, he has to buy his own ribbons etc.; that money has to come from somewhere and his salary is a pittance.

Under those circumstances I do not think a 20 Baht charge can be considered corruption.

Patrick

edit : spelling

So one must ask why do these upright pillars of society do the job. Could it possibly for the money they are able to scam from others. Which in turn enables them to buy bars, massage parlors, or maybe run the numbers rackets? :ph34r:

jb1

I have been here 15 months and I am still being shocked on a daily basis almost about how this country's system works. I mentioned this to my Thai gf and she was totally relaxed about it.. Yes this is the case. You have to pay the police for every action. The going rate is around 20 baht, 50 baht, then you are paying farang price. That is the corruption bit.

It amazes me though, that a country with its politicians skimming off money from the country's cash assetts at a rate of 100s of Billions of baht a year, and they refuse to pay for a police force.

This place could be so wealthy and successful, but it will always be 50 years behind the west, because 99.99% of the population just smile and get on with it.

If this place hit a particularly turbulent economic slump, the entire place would go hurling down the crapper and will go back 100 years in a decade.

The people will just wai and mypenry :)

I have been here 15 months and I am still being shocked on a daily basis almost about how this country's system works. I mentioned this to my Thai gf and she was totally relaxed about it.. Yes this is the case. You have to pay the police for every action. The going rate is around 20 baht, 50 baht, then you are paying farang price. That is the corruption bit.

It amazes me though, that a country with its politicians skimming off money from the country's cash assetts at a rate of 100s of Billions of baht a year, and they refuse to pay for a police force.

This place could be so wealthy and successful, but it will always be 50 years behind the west, because 99.99% of the population just smile and get on with it.

If this place hit a particularly turbulent economic slump, the entire place would go hurling down the crapper and will go back 100 years in a decade.

The people will just wai and mypenry :)

You got it. Another Chang. :D

l

WHY not its only 20baht, In Thailand i learn very fast about to be friends with the police! who cares ill buy em a beer if they sit with me.. Its a small world you might need em one day

Hi 'mrbeerlao' not wishing to sound rude, but do you really think, for a second YOU are buying a friend, with a few bottles of beer? You say you learn quickly! They say bad habits are easy and quick to learn. Best you get back to school……..and stop buying the BIB beer in bars! You may be right about one thing, one of you may one day be making use of the other………Just not the way you see it!

No disrespect intended to you, but I've known my local copper for over 5 years now, sure he would like to get to know me….Why? Am I a soft ass, do I have money, can I be manipulated? Only getting to know me will tell him this, say…..Over a few beers that you're paying for.

There are good and bad coppers, which one is yours? One thing is guaranteed they all have power and influence,and a shit wage packet each month to get them all the 'good things YOU have. Never engage in conversations with the BIB other than official and don't have them on your property….Unless they have a search warrant. As the saying go's; "Up to you"

Edited by Tonto21

WHY not its only 20baht, In Thailand i learn very fast about to be friends with the police! who cares ill buy em a beer if they sit with me.. Its a small world you might need em one day

buying a whole lot of trouble thats all you are doing whistling.gif

l

Hi 'mrbeerlao' not wishing to sound rude, but do you really think, for a second YOU are buying a friend, with a few bottles of beer? You say you learn quickly! They say bad habits are easy and quick to learn. Best you get back to school……..and stop buying the BIB beer in bars! You may be right about one thing, one of you may one day be making use of the other………Just not the way you see it!

No disrespect intended to you, but I've known my local copper for over 5 years now, sure he would like to get to know me….Why? Am I a soft ass, do I have money, can I be manipulated? Only getting to know me will tell him this, say…..Over a few beers that you're paying for.

There are good and bad coppers, which one is yours? One thing is guaranteed they all have power and influence,and a shit wage packet each month to get them all the 'good things YOU have. Never engage in conversations with the BIB other than official and don't have them on your property….Unless they have a search warrant. As the saying go's; "Up to you"

couldn't have put any better myself...spot on

The fee for a police report in Pattaya has been 20 baht for many years,for thais and farangs alike,and why should we expect it for free??

Well wifey did work in the nearby police station and says they should be free, all but one of the reports I have needed in the past have been free.

Writing a report is FREE, always was.

Actually it depends on the police station. Some charge , some do not.

Glad to see you all agree about the basic facts, could be confusing otherwise :D

I agree you should never think you can become friends with a BIB, especially if you think all it takes to cement a friendship is to buy a couple of beers. Also agreed, you should never let the BIB enter your home unless they have a search warrant. This is one of the "founding principals" that I was amazed to see my husband enforcing with the local law enforcement back when we started to sell landscape plants out of our farm. He'd never had so much as a speeding ticket much less an overdue library book and there he was asking the state highway patrol to leave unless they intended to either buy some landscape plants or present us with a search warrant.

Of course, the cops backed down. Hubby said they probably saw the grow lights were were using in our greenhouses overnight and thought maybe we were growing something besides roses.

That little episode hit home with me. If they want 20 baht to cover the cost of filing a police report and making copies -- give it to 'em. Better than have 'em all over your homestead.