Ploy To Bring Back Thaksin

webfact

SHINAWATRA GOVERNMENT

Ploy to bring back ThaksIn

By The Nation

30162971-01.jpg

Charter change: Speaker Somsak says no need for drafting assembly as most of 1997 version should be restored

The House Speaker has proposed a fast-track approach for constitutional amendment in what many see a move aimed at paving the way for an early return of Thaksin Shinawatra to Thailand, without the ex-premier first having to serve a jail sentence for abuse of authority.

Somsak Kiatsuranont's proposal came yesterday as the new government was preparing to declare its policy guidelines before Parliament next week.

In the last of its 16 "urgent policies", the government promises to facilitate constitutional amendment as part of the efforts to introduce and speed up political reform. According to the plan, an assembly will be set up as an independent agency to draft a new charter that introduces the exercise of democratic power under the rule of law. The government also promises to hold a national referendum on whether to accept the draft.

However, Somsak has suggested that instead of going through a lengthy process via a full constitution-drafting assembly, the government should opt for a much shorter route by merging the current charter with the constitution of 1997, which was abolished after the military coup of September 2006.

He said only the two first chapters of the current charter, involving General Provisions and His Majesty the King, would be retained, with the remainder coming from the pre-coup constitution.

Whatever path is taken to amend the constitution, the government risks a severe backlash from detractors, who view the planned change as a passport for Thaksin to return to Thailand without first having to serve his jail sentence.

Article 309, the last transitional provision of the current charter, states that "all acts recognised in the 2006 Constitution as lawful and constitutional, including acts incidental thereto whether performed prior to or subsequent to the date of the promulgation of this Constitution, shall be deemed constitutional under this Constitution". This provision, according to legal experts, is intended to protect the coup-makers regarding their actions against Thaksin and his government, as well as subsequent legal actions resulting from the 2006 coup.

Many consider that the ruling party is pushing for a charter rewrite with the ulterior motive of discarding Article 309, which sanctions the orders and activities of the 2006 junta, seen as the legal cornerstone for the prosecution and conviction of the former prime minister.

In 2008, the Supreme Court's Criminal Division on Political Office Holders sentenced Thaksin in absentia to two years' imprisonment for abuse of power involving his then-wife Pojaman's purchase of coveted state-owned plots of land in the Ratchadaphisek area of Bangkok at a price much lower than the market value. The court case resulted from an investigation by the Assets Examination Committee, which was set up following the coup. The yellow shirts' People's Alliance for Democracy, which has actively campaigned against any constitutional amendment aimed at helping Thaksin escape legal problems, is likely to be among the first groups to take to the streets if charter change were to go ahead as planned.

Somsak, who is from the ruling Pheu Thai Party, said yesterday that his fast-track approach could be completed in three months, not including the time required for holding a public referendum.

"There is a super-fast way to amend the charter - the whole process could be completed in three months, plus another two months if a national referendum is conducted," he said.

He added that if the ruling party however opted for a lengthy process, the House would have to debate twice: first, to amend Article 291 in order to pave the way for forming a constitution-drafting assembly, and then to deliberate on the assembly's draft amendments.

The Speaker said an alternative was for the House of Representatives to do away with the assembly's formation by retaining the first two chapters of the Constitution, including provisions on the monarchy, and reactivating the suspended 1997 charter for all provisions except those in its first two chapters. The amended charter would then be a mixture of the current Constitution, with two chapters intact, and the remaining provisions from the abolished charter, he said.

Banharn Silapa-archa, chief adviser to the coalition Chart Thai Pattana Party, yesterday voiced his support for the government's policy of amending the charter. He said the government should not be afraid of any opposition if amendment is aimed at improving the Constitution and bringing about fairness.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-17

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever path is taken to amend the constitution, the government risks a severe backlash from detractors, who view the planned change as a passport for Thaksin to return to Thailand without first having to serve his jail sentence.

therein lies the crux of the matter, despite all the constant denials concerning Brother No.1the truth is as plain as the nose on our faces for all to see. The election campaign was never about the Thai people or their interests. It was all about one man and his return to let him re-commence and continue feeding on the financial blood of Thailand in his never ending pursuit of power and money

Edited by metisdead
Removed copyrighted image.

I feel that it gonna be very hot in Thailand during the months supposed to be the coolest of the year.

well who kicked the ass of 3000+ drug addicts.

And carries his share of the blame for the murders of some 1500 innocent vistims of the state-approved killing-spree ? No Double Standards ! :annoyed:

regarding the OP, it doesn't seem very democratic, to introduce a new Constitution, without consulting the people via a referendum, does it ? Even the military-appointed government felt in 2007 that the peoples' approval was required. Now PTP doesn't ? <_<

So far so good one inch at a time eventually becomes a foot. Thaksin home for the wedding

Yes. Won't that be grand? The people of Thailand believe in the sanctity of family and what better way to demonstrate that strong differentiating characterstic than to help a father come home to see his beautiful daughter married in a wedding that will delight the population. :whistling:

I suppose some of the western males in TVF may not understand this as I believe a characteristic of many older western males is to abandon their wives and children in favour of a woman/kathoey they meet in a Thai beer bar. However, for those that understand family values, they will appreciate why it is a good thing for the beloved Mr. Thaksin to return. Perhaps this show of family unity may cause discomfort in some, what with their not having a presentable partner nor much of a family life, but for the family loving Thais, they will find it heartwarming to see the love of a father for his child. It makes me shed a tear. B)

Edited by geriatrickid

So far so good one inch at a time eventually becomes a foot. Thaksin home for the wedding

Yes. Won't that be grand? The people of Thailand believe in the sanctity of family and what better way to demonstrate that strong differentiating characterstic than to help a father come home to see his beautiful daughter married in a wedding that will delight the population. :whistling:

I suppose some of the western males in TVF may not understand this as I believe a characteristic of many older western males is to abandon their wives and children in favour of a woman/kathoey they meet in a Thai beer bar. However, for those that understand family values, they will appreciate why it is a good thing for the beloved Mr. Thaksin to return. Perhaps this show of family unity may cause discomfort in some, what with their not having a presentable partner nor much of a family life, but for the family loving Thais, they will find it heartwarming to see the love of a father for his child. It makes me shed a tear. B)

Save and shed your tears for Thailand.

You might even be invited, as a reward for your never ending loyalty...

Are these the same families that send there sons and daughters to walking street to support these loving ,caring families? Barfbah.gif

the thai extended family model, mia leung, mia noi, por noi, giks, massage girls, etc etc

how heartwarming ...............

I feel that it gonna be very hot in Thailand during the months supposed to be the coolest of the year.

I dont think they had their asses kicked, I dont think they were drug addicts... I believe 2800 people were murdered on Mr Thaksins orders , without trial.. who picked and chose those victims... why, the wonderful BIB..... SAY NO MORE..!

Did this man of family values not recently divorce his wife so as to try and save a few quid, and replace her with a girl who is younger than his daughter. ?

Please allow me to finish that sentence for you: without due process.

Thaksin believes so much in the sanctity of marriage he divorced his wife!

If you think this is anything to do with Family Values then you sir, are considerably more stupid than i thought you were...

You get weirder every day.

I got it...... the Shins have spiked your water supply with rohypnol.

I got it...... the Shins have spiked your water supply with rohypnol.

Well Thad I for one just think Geriatric is posting a sarcastic "wind up" and cannot be "on the level", either that or his place of abode is on the dark side of the moon AND HAS BEEN FOR THE LAST 6 YEARS OR SO.

Quote from the above article:

"In 2008, the Supreme Court's Criminal Division on Political Office Holders sentenced Thaksin in absentia to two years' imprisonment for abuse of power involving his then-wife Pojaman's purchase of coveted state-owned plots of land in the Ratchadaphisek area of Bangkok at a price much lower than the market value. The court case resulted from an investigation by the Assets Examination Committee, which was set up following the coup. The yellow shirts' People's Alliance for Democracy, which has actively campaigned against any constitutional amendment aimed at helping Thaksin escape legal problems, is likely to be among the first groups to take to the streets if charter change were to go ahead as planned."

Just one sentence from above: "The court case resulted from an investigation by the Assets Examination Committee, which was set up following the coup."

What is missing from the article is that the law thaksin broke had been on the statute books of Thailand for decades and the same laws exist in most countries in the world. It's a serious law designed to prevent PMs and politicians taking advantage of the inherent power they gain to buy sell, contract with the state on their own behalf or that of their family. In other the law thaksin broke was not established by the coup makers.

Thaksin and his then wife are educated and experienced people and they had / have numerous lawyers etc., at their immediate disposal to continuously advise them about the law etc. There can be no doubt that thaksin, and his then wife, knew very well that they were breaking a serious law. No shades of grey.

Additionally the senior ministerial officials also knew very well that what they were doing was illegal and pertained to well established laws which had been in place for decades and are there for very good reasons. They said nothing, probably because of fear.

Hit a nerve did I? :lol:

Goodness gracious, such rancour.

For the record, the elegant Madame Pojaman and her husband Mr. Thaksin had an amicable divorce in Hong Kong. Unlike many westerners, the two behaved in a mature and polite manner. Madame Pojaman flew in to meet her husband to facilitate the matter. I recall, that at the time, many Thaksin bashers had claimed it was undertaken to protect the family assets. All I know is that Mr. Thaksin has maintained a cordial and respectful relatonship with Madame Pojaman. They have put their children first. Perhaps some farangs are jealous due to their own acrimonious marital failures and the abandonment of their own children,

I have found the response(s) quite elucidating and it has allowed me to better understand some of you. Thank you.

In response to an invite to the wedding reception, they have not been sent out. I anticipate that it will be quite an event, It might be so large that it will have to be hosted at a military base. After all, the PM and many cabinet members as well as high ranking military and police officials will be in attendance. I anticipate that there will be quite a list of foreign and Thai VIPs too. Sadly there will be no balloons hanging outside the reception, so no free food for the farang balloon chasers. ;)

Edited by geriatrickid

The election WAS about Thai People.

Thaksins group won the last 4 elections by landslide.

Isn't it time the spoiled class in Thailand face the facts.

They are outnumbered and need to honer the election results.

therein lies the crux of the matter, despite all the constant denials concerning Brother No.1the truth is as plain as the nose on our faces for all to see. The election campaign was never about the Thai people or their interests. It was all about one man and his return to let him re-commence and continue feeding on the financial blood of Thailand in his never ending pursuit of power and money

if a politically unaware expat like me can see what was going to happen, how blind are the Thai people, Thaksin is now running this country and only has to return to cement his position, but he must remember the guy who got Sa deang is still out there

Edited by lungdavid

For the record, the elegant Madame Pojaman and her husband Mr. Thaksin had an amicable divorce in Hong Kong. Unlike many westerners, the two behaved in a mature and polite manner.

It could also be described as they behaved like a pair of vultures pecking at the same carcass.

The last government made a couple of constitutional changes through parliament. Parliament is the body in Thailand that makes or refuses to make constitutional change. The coup government set a precedent of simple majority of those who vote with no minimum turn out referenda followed by legislature vote. PTP seem to be proposing doing the same. If that is accepted process, then there is little to criticise. What is the motivation for the change? Some will say to get back Thaksin. Some will say to go to a more democratic charter. Some will say to show Thailand does not accept what comes from coups. Some will say.... In democracy what motivates people to do things is not the important part, and plenty said the last lot changed the charter to do better in the election. The important part is the vote and if the people are going to get an up or down vote, then every side is going to get a chance to say what it wants and influence people before referenda day. Then the people decide and parliament will ratify or drop it. It is nto a big secret. When the vote comes people will be well informed passing it will mean Thaksin comes back etc. They can say no if they think that is the motivation and that is wrong.

I took the trouble to look up a few synonyms for your sanctimonious post.

'Pecksniffian, bigoted, canting, deceiving, false, goody-goody, holier-than-thou, hypocritical, insincere, pharisaical, pietistic, pious, preachy, self-satisfied, smug, stuffy, unctuous'.

"Family Unity"?

This referring to a character who has spent the last five years living in luxury, away from his family in order to avoid a jail sentence.If he had any real character he would have returned and answered his accusers, where he may well have received plenty of support. Also divorcing his wife of many years as a convenience.

Unless of course you were trolling, which in this case, seems likely judging by many of the replies. Dry your eyes.

Thaksin broke a well established serious law, and was convicted and sentenced to 2 years jail, he fled and hasn't returned.

He made his own situation, it's totally his own fault that he is separated from his family. No tears.

For the record, the elegant Madame Pojaman and her husband Mr. Thaksin had an amicable divorce in Hong Kong. Unlike many westerners, the two behaved in a mature and polite manner.

It could also be described as they behaved like a pair of vultures pecking at the same carcass.

Sorry Thad ,I simply refuse to believe that Geriatric is on the level with his remarks, for me its just an old fashioned Salford precinct "wind up",LOL.