Moving From Europe To Chiangmai

UmpaLumpa

Why don't you just sell everything and bring things that are important or precious to you.

Furniture, tv's etc can all be replaced. Bringing less will make the move less stressful and hassle free.

Buying new things for your home in Chiang mai will help you get to know the area and interact with the locals/ expats. You may even make some new friends. :)

That is basically what I did. Packed everything into a couple of suitcases. Paid the extra baggage fee to bring a couple additional cardboard boxes. Everything else was either sold or given away before I left.

Its quite a liberating and eye opening experience to cut ties with most of your material possessions like that.

-Mestizo

The cost of the container may be 2,000 euro, but there will also be a charge for clearance, tax and duties and trucking to Chiang Mai. I assume Chamez packed everything himself, so you won't be able to insure, except perhaps for total loss. AGS Four Winds are all over Europe and in Thailand too so I am sure if you contact the Thai office, they can give you a quote.

No importduties, atleast according to Ricardo, I have a dual-citizenship (Swedish and Thai, my mother is Thai). I'm not sure about the insurance bit, as I said, my father is handling all of the shipping bit since the entire family is moving to thailand permanently (I'm 19), and we did all the packaging ourselves. As for trucking to Chiang, Mai we have already arranged for a company to take the container from BKK to Chiang Mai, for this we paid 14000THB. The truck holds 35 cubic metres maximum, and the container holds about 20.

If you are a Thai national, returning to Thailand and have resided for the previous (minimum) 12 months in Sweden, without frequent return trips back to Thailand then you will probably be granted tax and duty free status.

The cost of the container may be 2,000 euro, but there will also be a charge for clearance, tax and duties and trucking to Chiang Mai. I assume Chamez packed everything himself, so you won't be able to insure, except perhaps for total loss. AGS Four Winds are all over Europe and in Thailand too so I am sure if you contact the Thai office, they can give you a quote.

No importduties, atleast according to Ricardo, I have a dual-citizenship (Swedish and Thai, my mother is Thai). I'm not sure about the insurance bit, as I said, my father is handling all of the shipping bit since the entire family is moving to thailand permanently (I'm 19), and we did all the packaging ourselves. As for trucking to Chiang, Mai we have already arranged for a company to take the container from BKK to Chiang Mai, for this we paid 14000THB. The truck holds 35 cubic metres maximum, and the container holds about 20.

If you are a Thai national, returning to Thailand and have resided for the previous (minimum) 12 months in Sweden, without frequent return trips back to Thailand then you will probably be granted tax and duty free status.

Last time I was in Thailand was 3 years ago, so it shouldn't be a problem.

with the current rate of exchange you can bring a container here for around 50K baht. that wont buy you a decent fridge freezer here.

Bullshite There are tons of stuff cheaper than sweden here. :)

Bullshite yourself matey. absolute crap in fact.

a good fridge freezer, twin doors with water cooler and ice maker, plumbed not from some plastic tank.. costs well over 50K baht here.

The disagreement you two are having is about the definition of the word 'decent'.

A typical USA-size 2-3 door fridge easily costs 80K baht here. Some people accept nothing less. Others pick up a typical small fridge that frosts over every month for 6000 baht, which they find perfectly adequate to keep the Changs cool and the ants out of the bread. YMMV.

there is a lot of truth in that. I have a twin door ( side by side ) FF in the kitchen with the european style water feed for water and ice which runs directly from the UV filter thingy. works great and is of course, from the UK ( prob made in china)

have another over& under jobbie in the utility as i hate shopping and like to do a once a month splurge then stick to the local markets. use the bottom half of that for the booze. never run out of Leo on a fun night :)

its all about choice here which is why its a great place to hang out for the "rest of your days" or until the money runs out ;)

so to summarize:

1- before packing get rid of electronics, tv's etc, or luxry items

2- if you pack yourself you cannot be insured, if the shipper packs for you you can be insured

3-ship it

4- if you're thai after 1 year in europe you dont pay duties

5- if you're on a 1 year visa but on your first year here you dont pay duties

6- collect your goods in bangkok or have the shipper send them to your home and handle the duties for you.

did I miss anything?

Looks about right!