Moving From Europe To Chiangmai

UmpaLumpa

hello,

what would it cost to bring all your personal stuff from europe to here? one big truck minimum,

including all the furniture, personal belongings.

what is the procedure, and what should be eliminated in order to avoid import duties on certain items (ie tv, etc.)

do any of you have experience with bringing your stuff here?

any sharing of knowledge is apreciated

I'm moving to Chiang Mai from Sweden in a couple of days and we paid 2000€ for a 20' (6m long) shipping container from Sweden to Bangkok.

You will be required to make an inventory of pretty much everything you put in the container, the shipping company will handle the rest.

I THINK that as long as the stuff in the container isn't brand new, you won't have much of a problem with import duties. Unless the customs are going to search through everything in your container and doing everything in their power to get you to pay some extras for them to put in their pockets.

I THINK that as long as the stuff in the container isn't brand new, you won't have much of a problem with import duties. Unless the customs are going to search through everything in your container and doing everything in their power to get you to pay some extras for them to put in their pockets.

Nonsense. You are completely misinformed. You will be liable.

That's why I wrote I THINK.

I got this information from my dad who has shipped a lot of stuff to and from Thailand, all though it was a while ago since he did it last time, so things have obviously changed.

I'm moving to Chiang Mai from Sweden in a couple of days and we paid 2000€ for a 20' (6m long) shipping container from Sweden to Bangkok.

You will be required to make an inventory of pretty much everything you put in the container, the shipping company will handle the rest.

cani ask what company did you use? and will they bring everything to your place in chiang mai?

cani ask what company did you use? and will they bring everything to your place in chiang mai?

I can ask my dad later when he gets home since he's handling all of that. But they're a swedish company based in Gothenburg, couldn't find the invoice in his office ;/.

Found the invoice, and the company's name is Contralo Scandinavia.

They won't be taking the cargo all the way to Chiang Mai, just to BKK.

Edited by Chamezz

Why don't you just sell everything and bring things that are important or precious to you.

Furniture, tv's etc can all be replaced. Bringing less will make the move less stressful and hassle free.

Buying new things for your home in Chiang mai will help you get to know the area and interact with the locals/ expats. You may even make some new friends. :)

Why don't you just sell everything and bring things that are important or precious to you.

Furniture, tv's etc can all be replaced. Bringing less will make the move less stressful and hassle free.

Buying new things for your home in Chiang mai will help you get to know the area and interact with the locals/ expats. You may even make some new friends. :)

I did the opposite, since I now have MY stuff arond me. if you already have good stuff and are going to rent a container anyway, bring the bloody lot :) you can save the cost of the container and transport on just a few items that cost a bomb here. and as long as packed well, they will still work well and keep you going. God alone knows what it would cost to furnish a house here top to bottom with EVERYTHING you like to have around you, rugs, good suites, good beds, TVs, tables, etc. with the current rate of exchange you can bring a container here for around 50K baht. that wont buy you a decent fridge freezer here.

with the current rate of exchange you can bring a container here for around 50K baht. that wont buy you a decent fridge freezer here.

Bullshite There are tons of stuff cheaper than sweden here. :)

It's not really worth selling your furniture, especially not if you've bought very high quality pieces. You'd get maybe 1/10 of what you paid, and how nice lounge chairs would you get for 5000THB/each? 2 new lounge chairs of the same quality and material and you pretty much have the cost of the container including shipping.

OK, jjust got a load of prices for this for a Thai that is moving back from the UK - these are very current and in pounds sterling. I'll also tell you what she went for in the end and why.

1st Move International: £1,047 30 days delivery time includes insurance excludes port costs, customs fees and charges, xrays if needed etc, import duty, Admin fees if any (customes etc), storage, local delivery

PSS: £919 (141 cubic foot) £717 (99 cu ft) 10 weeks delivery time insurance extra at 2.8% of worth excludes port costs, customs fees and charges, xrays if needed etc, import duty, Admin fees if any (customes etc), storage (first 2 months storage is free awaiting ship) also includes packing

Easy Shipping: £775 30 days delivery no insurance (i.e. separate quote) excludes port costs, customs fees and charges, xrays if needed etc, import duty, Admin fees if any (customes etc), storage

AGS: £2,435 no time estimate given (within 12 weeks assumed) no insurance (i.e. separate quote) excludes port costs, customs fees and charges, xrays if needed etc, import duty, Admin fees if any (customes etc), storage

Move Corp: £399 (76 cu ft) no time estimate given (within 12 weeks assumed) no insurance (i.e. separate quote) excludes port costs, customs fees and charges, xrays if needed etc, import duty, Admin fees if any (customes etc), storage, packing

She went for PSS as the quote was very good (i.e. covered everything) they gave several options guaranteed no extra costs outside of that which isn't included have Thai side agents employed and knew import regulation and taxes (actually sent PDF forms and translations of import tax rules etc). They also repacked and did all the customs declarations and listings in the way that Thai customs requires. They seemed the most experienced and professional.

This was for boxes of personal stuff, a waist-high safe, clothes, boxes of books and so on, but no furniture - about 90 cu ft in all.

There were cheaper and (much) more expensive options - I have only listed the ones I have in front of me - other were taken (some did not send quites at all and only wanted to quote over the phone!).

Good luck

PS: TVs may not work here from Europe (country depending) - I know UK ones dn't usually due to the digital stereo broadcast in the UK (NICAM) - this was my finding anyway (in both directions). My parent's had the same problem moving from the UK to Spain too! (did work if plug through another receiving device like a VDO player etc.

Edited by wolf5370

The OP should be aware, but didn't mention, that one's Thai-national partner is entitled to one shipment duty-free, when returning to live in Thailand after more-than a year overseas. Your local agent out here will negotiate & pay the appropriate tea-money, to clear the shipment through Customs in Bangkok, and the transport-costs to get it moved up here to C.M., and to be unloaded.

Our own shipment several years ago cost about GBP 2k all-in, and we packed it to the rafters, why not as it made no difference to the final cost ?

The cost of the container may be 2,000 euro, but there will also be a charge for clearance, tax and duties and trucking to Chiang Mai. I assume Chamez packed everything himself, so you won't be able to insure, except perhaps for total loss. AGS Four Winds are all over Europe and in Thailand too so I am sure if you contact the Thai office, they can give you a quote.

If you think all stuffs that you want to bring to Thailand will be less than one container, may be we can share the cost. May I ask you from where do you want to move out? You can PM me if you do not want to say in this post. I am asking a company in Thailand that deal with other company in Europe to quote a price for full container and less than one container , now already 10 days and still not here anything, so I will try other companies and will let you know.

The cost of the container may be 2,000 euro, but there will also be a charge for clearance, tax and duties and trucking to Chiang Mai. I assume Chamez packed everything himself, so you won't be able to insure, except perhaps for total loss. AGS Four Winds are all over Europe and in Thailand too so I am sure if you contact the Thai office, they can give you a quote.

No importduties, atleast according to Ricardo, I have a dual-citizenship (Swedish and Thai, my mother is Thai). I'm not sure about the insurance bit, as I said, my father is handling all of the shipping bit since the entire family is moving to thailand permanently (I'm 19), and we did all the packaging ourselves. As for trucking to Chiang, Mai we have already arranged for a company to take the container from BKK to Chiang Mai, for this we paid 14000THB. The truck holds 35 cubic metres maximum, and the container holds about 20.

If you think all stuffs that you want to bring to Thailand will be less than one container, may be we can share the cost. May I ask you from where do you want to move out? You can PM me if you do not want to say in this post. I am asking a company in Thailand that deal with other company in Europe to quote a price for full container and less than one container , now already 10 days and still not here anything, so I will try other companies and will let you know.

im not sure about how many cubic meters i would need, but anyways this would be all happening next year. but i guess i would need more than half a container because there is a lot of furniture, ie beds libraries etc.. atthe moment i am only estimating the cost and feasability of the whole thing.

with the current rate of exchange you can bring a container here for around 50K baht. that wont buy you a decent fridge freezer here.

Bullshite yourself matey. absolute crap in fact.

a good fridge freezer, twin doors with water cooler and ice maker, plumbed not from some plastic tank.. costs well over 50K baht here.

a good bed, divan, which isnt like a concrete block.. same

you may prefer to live with ikea or worse, thats your choice, but IF you have nice stuff in your home country, why settle for camping here. I dont question your taste, dont question mine. and the pricing is very accurate.

PS: TVs may not work here from Europe (country depending) - I know UK ones dn't usually due to the digital stereo broadcast in the UK (NICAM) - this was my finding anyway (in both directions). My parent's had the same problem moving from the UK to Spain too! (did work if plug through another receiving device like a VDO player etc.

The UK uses a version of PAL with a different inter-carrier frequency so you can have sound or picture but not both - this is on older TV sets - modern sets are usually multi-standard. This also only applies to terrestrial analogue broadcasts. If you're getting cable or satellite TV or playing DVDs it's not relevant

Not True, If you are immigrating here you are allowed to bring your personal possessions and not pay duty once only ( I somehow managed it twice with Seven Seas, don't know how) I too recommend Seven Seas, very efficient. Shipping takes around 8-9 weeks and you have to take/get your passport ( not a copy) down to customs in Klong Toey

a good fridge freezer, twin doors with water cooler and ice maker, plumbed not from some plastic tank.. costs well over 50K baht here.

you may prefer to live with ikea or worse, thats your choice, but IF you have nice stuff in your home country, why settle for camping here. I dont question your taste, dont question mine. and the pricing is very accurate.

How is it I just bought recently ( 1 month ago) A top of the Range Samsung Fridge freezer as you describe for 40,000 Baht?

How is it I just bought recently ( 1 month ago) A top of the Range Samsung Fridge freezer as you describe for 40,000 Baht?

Maybe he didn't buy a Samsung.

No importduties, atleast according to Ricardo, I have a dual-citizenship (Swedish and Thai, my mother is Thai). I'm not sure about the insurance bit, as I said, my father is handling all of the shipping bit since the entire family is moving to thailand permanently (I'm 19), and we did all the packaging ourselves. As for trucking to Chiang, Mai we have already arranged for a company to take the container from BKK to Chiang Mai, for this we paid 14000THB. The truck holds 35 cubic metres maximum, and the container holds about 20.

I said no import-duties, if your family's agent uses a Thai-passport for the clearance, but there will still be 'tea-money' to negotiate ! Leave it to your agent ... they're the experts.

And we squeezed about 32 cu.m. into our standard 20-foot 33.2 cu.m. container. Google standard shipping container sizes . B)

so to summarize:

1- before packing get rid of electronics, tv's etc, or luxry items

2- if you pack yourself you cannot be insured, if the shipper packs for you you can be insured

3-ship it

4- if you're thai after 1 year in europe you dont pay duties

5- if you're on a 1 year visa but on your first year here you dont pay duties

6- collect your goods in bangkok or have the shipper send them to your home and handle the duties for you.

did I miss anything?

were that the case then you would only have to fill the rest of the 99% of the container with 10Ks worth of stuff to come out even :) I also have a dish washer, washing machine, etc, full full kitchen equipment, full workshop, overfull house and furnished rental.. but you are probably right 55555555

so to summarize:

1- before packing get rid of electronics, tv's etc, or luxry items

2- if you pack yourself you cannot be insured, if the shipper packs for you you can be insured

3-ship it

4- if you're thai after 1 year in europe you dont pay duties

5- if you're on a 1 year visa but on your first year here you dont pay duties

6- collect your goods in bangkok or have the shipper send them to your home and handle the duties for you.

did I miss anything?

when the container arrives at your home it will, of course, be on a truck. even when slightly lowered that means it will be about 4 ft off the ground, so prepare yourself with some heavy set friends to assist and at least one who has container packing experience, so the whole lot doesnt shift during the move.

Itemise everything, right down to the broom and the old box of photos. I used excel and kept the PC running till last. i also gave a number to each item, so if it were to be checked there would be no problem.

Value the goods at a second hand auction value. that box of books may have cost £100 but a box of books would make a quid at the auction. the total value of your goods will be the basis of the taxes due here!!!!!!!!!

Use the drawers in any units as packing boxes but carry out separately or the unit, ( eg a dressing table) will be too heavy, saves space

Move everything to the front of your house ready to load. there is an excess for long time waiting for the driver and truck

Buy Rope to rope at intervals through the container. Put valueable stuff up front, ( away from the door) so that when u open up in LOS it doesnt all fall on you. there is no need to worry about weight balance.

Email the inventory to your thai agent AND YOURSELF so you have it here ( remember, the PC will be in the container)

The agent will call you when the container hits the port

he/she will come back with an expected tax/fee/tea money. provided that its reasonable TO YOU.. pay it. do not negotiate. they are infamous for negotiating UP. and there is a fee per day for the container to sit on the port while you hum and hah

I paid 4 guys here, 300 baht a piece to unload. ask any thai you have dealt with, he will have plenty of friends who want a few bob for 3-4 hours work

----------------------

I am sitting writing this at a desk that was my Gt Grandfathers, I eat with knives and forks that dont bend and on decent china. You could find most of the stuff, perhaps 60% of it that i have in the shops here, but the cost would be horrific and you would have sold your "all" for sweet FA back home to a house clearer who valued your £900 pound fridge at £60 and your new bed at £10. The only people who will disagree will be the stupidly rich, the lazy and those who didnt think about it till it was too late.

good luck and keep us up to date om your move :)

The disagreement you two are having is about the definition of the word 'decent'.

A typical USA-size 2-3 door fridge easily costs 80K baht here. Some people accept nothing less. Others pick up a typical small fridge that frosts over every month for 6000 baht, which they find perfectly adequate to keep the Changs cool and the ants out of the bread. YMMV.

Edited by CheGuava