Taxi Meters In Pattaya

pauljones

Does anybody here use the meter taxies in Pattaya?

Do they ever use the meter?

What do you pay for an average run from Central Pattaya to:

Naklua16 area?

Pratamnak Hill?

Jomtien?

Siam Country Club area?

etc.

I think a legitimate (non extortionist/monopoly) taxi service would be a boon to business/real estate in the above mention areas.

They don't use the meters. Thus, I don't use them. Real taxi meters (and lots more of them because if word got out they use meters and they were similar fares to Bangkok there would be a massive demand) they would be HUGELY popular. City hall talks about making this a world class resort city. Doing that ONE thing would be a big advance, but they don't do it for obvious reasons. (Figure it out, the taxis are owned by the baht bus "collective".) When new the cars HAD meters. Not the same thing as using. Not sure if meters ROT when not used, like most things. Consider the potential growth of businesses on Third Road, etc. if they could advertise with taxi cards to tourists, etc.

Edited by Jingthing

I use the taxis all the time in Bangkok- they are inexpensive and 98% of the time they guys will automatically turn on the meters. The taxi drivers here are part of the "mofia"...you see them in clusters standing around in front of the 5 star hotels, and major shopping complexes. They do not want to use the meters and they charge ridiculous fees ( I guess that is why they can sit around all day). I see many Russians use them. I will call up a private driver before I use those mafia drivers that call themselves "taxi drivers".

I agree we should not use the so called taxi meters here in their current form. Better to call a private car service. The price will be similar and you will not be supporting the corrupt situation with the organized transport "collective" here.

I won't bother anymore but if you're seeking cheap entertainment, say yes to their offer of a ride, and then demand they use the meter, and when you hear no way, at least they learn there is an alternative to sitting around all day waiting for the sucker fares. I posted a thread some months ago about a talk I had with a taxi don't use meter guy, yes I actually used one once, long story. He agreed with me that they would make a lot more money if they were allowed to roam and pick up meter fares, but he made it clear they were NOT ALLOWED to do that by the powers that be and like most of us he saw NO HOPE of this ever changing. So sad really. I also reckon he meant the consequences of being caught doing that would be not pretty, say no more. The really odd thing about that encounter with that driver who was very English fluent, is that he pretty much agreed with me on every opinion I have about the Pattaya transport system. Now I don't know how atypical he is, but it made me think at least some of the drivers, who may want a clean system, as victims of the organized corruption the same way the general public is.

Edited by Jingthing

I recently had to take a TV I purchased at Central-Festival to north Jomtien. I asked a taxi driver when I arrived at Central what he would charge - he said 200 Baht. Expensive by Bangkok taxi standards, but I was willing to pay it for the door-to-door convenience. When I came back out with the TV, they wanted 400 Baht. I paid a Baht-Bus driver 200 Baht for the run.

In another incident, I was waiting for a motorbike-taxi to return to it's post for a ride of about 2 miles that is normally 60 Baht. A taxi driver came along and wanted 400 Baht for the same run. I told him I could go all the way to Bangkok for 800 Baht - he said "Ok, 300 Baht" -- Obviously, I waited for the motorbike.